Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fors Yard posted:

Just in time for Halloween, here is probably the most haunting and ominous thing I've ever made. Mostly used the cardinal image because it sort of reminded me of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut and the organ like sound. I now realize it is also pretty inspired by Richard Devine's Flask. All JX-3P with some verb.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/imepm

This isn't exactly the thread for this but have you thought about adding a bass line? The chord progression is great but it just feel a bit unfinished is all.

Also, listened to the user uploads for the volca sample since it's out in Japan already and unlike the bass/keys/beats I'm not hearing anything I don't like from it so I'm more than likely going to grab it. The iso only thing isn't a problem since due to my wife being in marketing/graphics I will always have something apple in my house to sample with.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

A Winner is Jew posted:

This isn't exactly the thread for this but have you thought about adding a bass line? The chord progression is great but it just feel a bit unfinished is all.

I agree that it's kinda unfinished. That was pretty much a loving around at midnight thing and I recorded it without much thought. Considered adding something else, but was ultimately too tired and wasn't sure what would fit and I liked that was more of a background kinda thing (drat MC-500 takes a long time to boot up, too). It's fun just diving in and seeing where things go, but I really need to actually try going in with a structure or whatever. I have trouble with demos because for so long the writing process has been combined with the arrangement/sound design.

I just met up with a friend last night at a show, and he has this little composition club type thing that he recently started. I don't think entirely synth guys, but there is a monthly prompt and I think it will be good to have some direction and additional pressure to actually do it and sharing it to real people (easier to flake out online, unfortunately).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Did you know your No Input Mixer Tutorial was one of the topics on this week's Sonic Talk?

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/10/30/podcast-sonic-talk-380-noodling-gives-you-wings/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

The iso only thing

You've been repeating this the past couple pages when referring to the Volca Sampler and I'm guessing you mean iOS (as in the iPhone Operating System) and not the International Organization for Standardization?

Otherwise I'm very confused. :ohdear:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HotCanadianChick posted:

You've been repeating this the past couple pages when referring to the Volca Sampler and I'm guessing you mean iOS (as in the iPhone Operating System) and not the International Organization for Standardization?

Otherwise I'm very confused. :ohdear:

poo poo, yeah I meant iOS.

I deal with ISO on an almost daily basis since I work in the AEC industry and brain farted on it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

poo poo, yeah I meant iOS.

I deal with ISO on an almost daily basis since I work in the AEC industry and brain farted on it.

Yeah, it was confusing me since I thought maybe I'd missed something about a new standard that'd been developed for sample transfers or something...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhYxLwhtcE

might as well put this here.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Radiapathy posted:

Did you know your No Input Mixer Tutorial was one of the topics on this week's Sonic Talk?

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/10/30/podcast-sonic-talk-380-noodling-gives-you-wings/

Yeah! That was quite a surprise :)

Hahaha! This is amazing! Great that it's in Euro format now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

Is there a place we can start uploading songs for this yet?

Been working on something and while it isn't finished yet (and because of RL stuff it won't be for probably 2 weeks) but am I zipping and emailing it you one of you, posting it to soundcloud and linking it or what?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Does anyone know of of the top of their head if Nick Blatt/SonicState has ever given a synth a bad review?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AxeBreaker posted:

Does anyone know of of the top of their head if Nick Blatt/SonicState has ever given a synth a bad review?

Maybe not "bad", but I've definitely heard him point out stuff that's not good/could be better. Whether that's build quality or a lack of features or whatever. So I think he/they're pretty unbiased?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

AxeBreaker posted:

I don't recall seeing him give anything a flat-out bad review, but my impression is that he generally only covers stuff that he's personally interested in. So if it's something he's already stoked about and it delivers on most of its promise, it makes sense that he's generally positive.

I have heard him be critical of things in reviews- most recently Elektron's way of doing things- so he's not across-the-board effusive, at least.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
OFFICIAL SYNTHGOON XMAS TOP SECRET ALBUM PROJECT POST

It's probably a good idea to jot down some more details/hand out more info on what I have in mind for the synth album project. If I missed anything please post about it and I'll add it to this thread!

1) Mastering

Since I threw the idea out there I will take responsibility for mastering and managing the album (posting it up to Soundcloud/Bandcamp, promote it on SA, etc). When I say mastering I more or less mean I'll do my best to get each track normalized and sounding like they all belong together on the same release. If anyone else wants to collaborate on this process or throw their talented hat into the ring to help with this side of the production send me a PM or post here and we can exchange more details (contact info and such)

2) Where do I put my track(s)?

We have a few options for this. I think using either Soundcloud, Tindeck, or WeTransfer.com would work the best. If you decide to post to Soundcloud or Tindeck remember to make your track downloadable so I can grab a copy. Also please upload your file as a WAV or AIFF, or you could even send me your project session using WeTransfer.com (but let's discuss that ahead of time since I don't own every DAW out there). Feel free to put your sketches or rough cuts on WeTransfer or Tindeck as well if you want to just have *something* in the can but might intend to re-release the track before the deadline.

As for my email address you can send WeTransfer links or other :filez: links to portervance on Gmail. You can also share you Soundcloud/Tindeck/WeTransfer links here. Again, please submit tracks in a lossless/uncompressed format like WAV, AIFF, FLAC. Also remember, you can submit more than one track! I want to keep the project around 15-20 tracks depending on how many final submissions we get, but the more music the better!

3) When is the deadline again?

We have a strict deadline of December 1st! 30ish days to get your synths sorted. The goal is to get the project up on Bandcamp or Soundcloud by December 24th in time for Christmas but the sooner it can go online the better. If you would like to master your project or add that *one last* touch to your song and it's past December 1st that's OK too, just keep us up to day so we don't forget your song on the release.

4) Who are the studs/studdettes participating in this awesome thing?

From looking over the thread I see the following goons are interested in submitting a track:

Dotcom Jillionaire
A Winner is Jew
Rotten Cookies
Das MicroKorg
CAT rear end now!!!
Scatterfold
Sizone
Fors Yard
Dessert Rose
VoodooXT
BKPR

If your name is missing and you want to be added please tell me and I'll do that.

5) Has anyone submitted a track yet? What kind of theme are we going for again?

Yes! Sizone has made this so far: https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/pumpkin-of-bethlehem. As for theme, feel free to go wild on your project (we will turn no good song away!) but since we're sort of basing the album around the fall/winter time of year I'd like to capture some element of that in your tracks. Think snow, think ambient, think warming your toes by the fire, think sleighbells, think frosty cold nights, think aurora borealis, think hot cocoa and egg nog.

6) So we're raising money with this thing?

Yeah as much as people might theoretically contribute towards an album of goony synth music posted on Bandcamp. My plan is to have the completed product up on Bandcamp a week or so before Christmas (if possible) and then to promote it on the forums somewhere. I might even chip in to buy a banner ad for the month of January if people think that's a good idea. The proceeds will go to a charity of our choice, please submit some ideas for charities on the thread. We can all vote on one (maybe two) charities to send the money to. I think Doctors Without Borders would be a good cause this season but I'd also like to have the money go towards some kind of youth music program or funding for arts/music programs in school. Please submit some ideas!

I know lots of people have been coming up with/sketching out ideas for their track so keep up the good work everyone!

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 31, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I thought this was a NOT Xmas album. I guess it doesn't totally matter for what I'm thinking though.

I'd recommend having all submissions be lossless files though. Downloading from Soundcloud is gonna be lossy, even if the original upload was a WAV. It won't take terribly long to stick a FLAC file on wetransfer, and the results will be better if we wait til the last stage (putting the thing on bandcamp or whatev) to bring lossy formats into it.

Not saying people shouldn't put their stuff on Soundcloud TOO, but for the sake of compiling it.

e: also, I bought M1 LE this morning. Gonna knock out some PCM jams when I get off work.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

AxeBreaker posted:

He's like UJIIEsandesu, I think, in that he's generally excited about the synths he reviews anyway.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks for the replies, I only ask because he positively reviewed a synth that was pretty heavily shat upon here (Roland Gaia).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

AxeBreaker posted:

Thanks for the replies, I only ask because he positively reviewed a synth that was pretty heavily shat upon here (Roland Gaia).

Ain't nothin' wrong with the Gaia. People just have weird expectations with Roland most of the time.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just handed in my thesis so I have a lot more free time all of a sudden, I'd like to submit a track. Are software synths ok though?

[Think snow, think ambient, think warming your toes by the fire, think sleighbells, think frosty cold nights, think aurora borealis, think hot cocoa and egg nog.

For us Aussies it is hot as hell so this might be difficult, haha.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

field balm posted:

I just handed in my thesis so I have a lot more free time all of a sudden, I'd like to submit a track. Are software synths ok though?

We don't discriminate, though we may look down on you.

sent from my ipad

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it's halloween and tom waits always gives me the willies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K01Oy6Mbu0

OOGABOOGA

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Control put together a lil diddy for Halloween

http://instagram.com/p/u03z2XuZLO/

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Put together my first video demo today. It's kind of a huge piece of crap but the audio is good at least. Just a demo of the Alesis Akira effects unit, no synths were harmed in the making of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrVlcoXEeh0

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Put together my first video demo today. It's kind of a huge piece of crap but the audio is good at least. Just a demo of the Alesis Akira effects unit, no synths were harmed in the making of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrVlcoXEeh0

It says "video unavailable" for me. But I couldn't watch it right now anyway because I'm on mobile data. I'll check it out again when I'm home.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody using an Expert Sleepers interface? I recently picked up an ES-4 and am confused if I should be using 'SW ES Voice Controller' or 'SW Voice Controller'.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Someone was selling a 909 that was used and signed by Jeff Mills but it ended. If I was a rich person I'd have bought it and slept with it at night hoping to become a better techno producer.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Mills used our 909 once while he was here, maybe I should try and sleep with it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
are there any good(very cheap) hardware midi sequencers about? I know nothing about them. but I know a want a sequencer rather than just a midi keyboard.
I want to get a shruthi xt kit but I don't want to end up having to click the notes down in ableton to get it to make any sounds, that's something i'm trying to get away from. it seems like it requires midi in before it can make any sounds.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

are there any good(very cheap) hardware midi sequencers about? I know nothing about them. but I know a want a sequencer rather than just a midi keyboard.
I want to get a shruthi xt kit but I don't want to end up having to click the notes down in ableton to get it to make any sounds, that's something i'm trying to get away from. it seems like it requires midi in before it can make any sounds.

you might be interested in the new electribes that are supposed to be available anytime now: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe/

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cubicle gangster posted:

You'll either be looking at something that's a sequencer + drum machine/synth, or a sequencer that's circa 1996 or earlier. I went down this rabbit hole and ended up with the godliest sequencer for song composition, the Yamaha QY700. It's not so great for live use, requiring stop/starts to change tracks. Also, basically everything in this category is not cheap, as it's all either old or is actually a decent drum machine.

My actual recommendation would be to get an old workstation rompler. You will get a keyboard, sequencer, and another sound module. You could probably find something for less than $100.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
the elektribe looks pretty good actually. my plan to get some hardware has rapidly increased in cost already... it's gone from $500 to just over a grand in a couple hours.

^whats a rompler? all I can find are vsts.

I just thought, is there some way to use the midi out on a maschine to do this? editing a sound in step sequence mode gives the required controls, but that's when running with the maschine software and I think when switching it over to a midi device you loose the ability to do that. or maybe i'm mistaken, never had the need to try.
e: I think it can. hot drat!

Here's another question which is more asking for support - the last time I soldered something was 5 years ago, and i've not done it a great deal at all. I am patient and can follow instructions though. Would I have problems building the shruthi xt?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 4, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

cubicle gangster posted:

^whats a rompler? all I can find are vsts.

A rompler is a synth that uses a fixed set of samples as the "oscillators". Really, I'm just telling you to get an old keyboard that has a sequencer built in. Your post wasn't clear as to whether you didn't want a keyboard because you wanted a sequencer INSTEAD or whether you just didn't want a keyboard at all.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I already have a midi keyboard, was hoping for a smaller box that just did one job.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cubicle gangster posted:

I already have a midi keyboard, was hoping for a smaller box that just did one job.
You should specify whether you want something to make entire songs in or if a flexible-ish 16/32 step thing will do.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
flexible 16/32 step thing - something to feed it a loop (which i can modify and do variations to without using my laptop) while I twist the knobs on the synth.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Arturia Beatstep

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

Arturia Beatstep

Yesss.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So uhh, what's everyone's favorite Eurorack sequencer? I swear there are way way too many options in the Euro world these days but I'm going to be doing some carpentry here in a bit to build a keyboard tray under my MU modular to get my keyboards off the top of it, which will then free up space to build a few hundred HP of space for Euro stuff. Problem is, aside from an Expert Sleepers interface ( or two? ), I can't make heads of tails of the approximately 300 trillion varieties of everything in Euro. Seriously anyone planning on:

A moog ladder filter
A diode ladder TB-303 filter
A simple 8 step sequencer with ping-pong and reverse
A mixer
A dual ADSR
....etc

Should just loving shoot themselves. The world needs no more.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

toadee posted:

So uhh, what's everyone's favorite Eurorack sequencer?

An A4 :v:

Seriously the euro market is supersaturated.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

cubicle gangster posted:

Ignore any advise to get a workstation keyboard, the sequencers on them are usually difficult and unpleasant to use. Rm1x/Rs-7000/QY-700 is seriously your best bet and it's probably worth it to drop 2-5 hundred on something that's essentially going to be the brain and nerve center of your synth setup. Electribes are, however, a perfectly workable option and something like 1/2-1/3 the cost. I also understand that akai mpcs are quite popular, but for that price, you should just get a yamaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

toadee posted:

So uhh, what's everyone's favorite Eurorack sequencer?

iPad & CVpal, Tenori-On/MPC & qMI, Arturia MicroBrute, Beatstep (I guess?) ...

Also, the Turing Machine with at least the Pulses expander and a quantizer (eg uScale). Lovely random looping melodies!