Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

revdrkevind posted:

I think each game has its own merits, even if NV is better.

Fallout 3:
+Better radio (Three Dog and "Butcher Pete")

Mr. New Vegas beats the poo poo out of Three Dog, I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

revdrkevind posted:

I think each game has its own merits, even if NV is better.

Fallout 3:
+Better atmosphere (feels more Fallout-y, such as a more familiar weapons selection for the series)

Hahahahahahahah
haha
no.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Fallout 3 owns, haters vacate.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Thoughtless posted:

Well, when you put it like that, yeah. I still feel it's pretty mediocre but playing it is certainly interesting if you want to plumb the depths of forgotten games.
Whatever the reason it is so obscure these days, as first-person horror themed shooters with like an hour's worth of live-action cutscenes go, it's pretty much the cream of the crop. At its time it was pretty critically acclaimed. All the other hugely influential stuff that got released at the time just kinda drowned it out, I guess. Civ 2, Red Alert, Diablo, HoMM 2 and Resident Evil all came out at pretty much the same time. Pretty good year for gaming.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Luisfe posted:

Hahahahahahahah
haha
no.

To be fair I'm not quite sure how to put that part. Fallout 3 is more Fallout-y. New Vegas is much more immersive and its own thing.

Justin_Brett posted:

Mr. New Vegas beats the poo poo out of Three Dog, I'm sorry.

You'll see that Wayne Newton got his own bullet point.

I'm so glad he was still an alive human being at the time of New Vegas.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fallout 3's biggest merit is that they actually translated Fallout into a 3D experience with working structure, rpg elements etc. I must say it was an insanely difficult task and the devs did it well. New Vegas took those mechanics and had actually cool content built around them.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Do the Spore expansion packs somehow magically make Spore a good game? I am almost tempted to buy them now that they're 5 bucks but then again I make bad decisions a lot.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Fallout 3 is perfectly good even compared to New Vegas. If you need to compare how "Fallouty" they are then 3 is more like 1 and NV is more like 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zoe posted:

Do the Spore expansion packs somehow magically make Spore a good game? I am almost tempted to buy them now that they're 5 bucks but then again I make bad decisions a lot.
Haha, no.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Palpek posted:

Fallout 3's biggest merit is that they actually translated Fallout into a 3D experience with working structure, rpg elements etc. I must say it was an insanely difficult task. New Vegas took those mechanics and actually had cool content built around them.

Aside from the giant robot, agreed.

e for clarity: Libery Prime proves there was at least one good content in F3.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 31, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have you already played through Spore once? Do not buy it.

If you haven't, $5 is about what one playthrough is worth, if you really really want to.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

revdrkevind posted:

You'd better not be dissing Liberty Prime.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

Have you already played through Spore once? Do not buy it.

I preordered weeks in advance. :suicide:

Was sort of hoping there for a moment the galactic whatever expansion could retroactively make that a marginally less terrible decision but oh well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What do you know, more leftover stuff. Have a copy of Orcs Must Die! 2:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=bYWp3BDWneVPXThB

Also a bunch of dumb masks for Payday 2, I guess:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=H8mUZpzPyaHWD4Ue

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

Sounds like something a commie would say.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

Fallout 3's biggest merit is that they actually translated Fallout into a 3D experience with working structure, rpg elements etc. I must say it was an insanely difficult task and the devs did it well. New Vegas took those mechanics and had actually cool content built around them.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. The only part of 3 I miss in New Vegas is the cityscapes.

Also, if we're talking DLC, every single piece of New Vegas DLC is fantastic and well worth it. I'm gonna say I didn't get or like the story very much in Lonesome Road, but I did have lots of fun playing it. Some people don't like the Dead Money DLC but they are wrong, wrong, wrong, as it's my favourite. :colbert: My favourite part of the whole game by far.

The DLC in 3 comes no where close to anything New Vegas has, sadly.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zoe posted:

God no, still poo poo.

Edit: to clarify - Spore is still a set of minigames that have a loose connection. The two packs add a bunch of parts for 'evolving' your animal (almost entirely cosmetic), and the galactic conquest addition is effectively a very bad space trading game that uses your built race. It's worth a playthrough, then you've seen everything.

Will Wright is forever on my shitlist for Spore. The hype-train was ridiculous and ended up with molyneux-esque 'yeah, you can do that' for pretty much everything.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 31, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

0lives posted:

The DLC in 3 comes no where close to anything New Vegas has, sadly.

Mothership Zeta is the biggest piece of poo poo in either game.

Honestly, I do think New Vegas is the better game, but in the same way I think Skyrim is better than Oblivion.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

"I'm Imoen."
"I'm Imoen."
"I'm Imoen."
"I'm Imoen."
"I'm Imoen."
"I'm Imoen."
-Imoen

You forgot the "Hey Yaaaaa~ It's me!" before each of those, otherwise it's not nearly as grating.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly, I do think New Vegas is the better game, but in the same way I think Skyrim is better than Oblivion.

What does that even mean?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Mothership Zeta is the biggest piece of poo poo in either game.
Yeah, I had to hold off on a rant about how much I uh, really didn't enjoy my time with Mothership Zeta. :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Zoe posted:

The Galactic Adventures expansion apparently turned it into a pretty good adventure-game-maker, but don't expect much.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Thoughtless posted:

Realms of the Haunting is considered a hidden gem? Having played it as a kid I figure it was forgotten for good reason.

Well it is a free key through Indiegala right now so, worth free?

https://www.indiegala.com/realms

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Wow, this was a surprise:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Valkyria Chronicles PC port; $18 bux.

This game is a really great strategytactics RPGanime. And when I say "really great" that's something, because I really hate most anime nonsense, and this game looks anime as hell. The gameplay, however, is so good that the anime nonsense didn't even faze me. You cannot skip the anime cutscenes the first time through the game, which is slightly annoying. The game universe itself is an alternate-reality Europe with big fuckoff tank guns and guys running around with rocket launchers that look like lances. Instead of Jew persecution, there is "Darcsen" persecution, where "Darcsen" are people that - if I recall corrrectly - had some sort of innate magical power or some nonsense, and they were ostracised for some past environmental calamity or something that they did not cause, as the story turns out, rather unsurprisingly. That bit was pretty weak, because on the one hand you've got the game going through the effort of creating Jew-analogues that are clearly sympathetic characters that are unfairly persecuted (bigotry = bad), but on the other hand the game makes clear that these people are fundamentally very different from "regular" human beings (there is a "Master Race"). That wasn't really thought through clearly, in my opinion, but it doesn't really play into the actual game in any context other than itself, and could have been totally thrown away without loss, or it could have been dealt with in a more meaningful way without bordering on being insulting.

The best way to describe it is turn-based WW2 themed tactical battles with class-based RPG elements. You will field between 4-10 units of various familiar class types (sniper, scout, assault, heavy weapon) including usually either one or two tank units. The tanks are somewhat customizable, and the infantry units have unlockable skills. Enemy units will be comprised of a variety of the same types of infantry units and usually one or more tank units.

The battles last a nice amount of time (about 30-45 mins unless you figure out how to do them the fast way) and offer an entertaining amount of challenge - not too hard, not too easy. There are several difficulty levels, but honestly once you get everything figured out the difficulty is a non-issue.

There's more to the game than this, but I don't want to go on too much about it. It was a PS3 exclusive, and VC2 was a PS Vita (I think) exclusive that I never got to play. The story is pretty decent as well, and I was honestly most surprised by the way gender affinity was used in the game in some amusing ways - there is a mechanic where certain units have affinities of various kinds, some of which are gender-based. A few of the units have gay affinity, and one of them in particular is hilariously over-the-top as a flamer ala South Park's "Big Gay Al" character. One of my favorite characters just because he was so funny. If you have the chance, unlock the Japanese voices and listen to this particular character in Japanese, just to get an interesting glimpse into how the developers chose to portray this stereotype in English and in Japanese.

The gender affinity really is a very small part of the game overall, in fact just a minor mechanic; but it struck me so much mainly because it's probably the first time I've ever noticed a game that dealt with homosexuality in such a matter-of-fact way: it's definitely not an "issue" that is dealt with in the game. The game just happens to have sexual orientation as a mechanic, almost just like FFT had zodiac affinity, for example. Some characters are gay, but that's just it: they are gay, and others are straight. It's a fact of life that is just there and nobody thinks twice about it. Having so many gay friends, I found this to be really refreshing, although it doesn't (to me) seem to mesh with the Jew/Darcsen issue I talked about before.

Seriously though if you don't generally think about our rainbow brothers and sisters (because you are accepting, not because you don't care) you won't even really notice this other than get a chuckle, and if you are a gayhating bigot you would really just not put this unit in any battles because it would drive you crazy. Either way, you'll still enjoy the game because it's very good.

All ur anime:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheMopeSquad posted:

You forgot the "Hey Yaaaaa~ It's me!" before each of those, otherwise it's not nearly as grating.

You think you had it bad? This is what some of us had to deal with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLuxizt_Es

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Skyrim is not a good game, it's got a lot of poor and boring design and is lifeless. But it's still lightyears better than Oblivion.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You think you had it bad? This is what some of us had to deal with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLuxizt_Es

Oh good god. :suicide:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
If you are going to play F:NV for the first time or again because of the discussion here, get JSawyer mod by project lead and goonbro Josh Sawyer to make your trek through the wasteland difficult in a way that isn't the usual bullet sponge enemies and glass cannon player.

quote:

While it is considered unofficial by its creator, it does provide insight into the aims of the lead developer and contains planned tweaks that never made it into the final release or in official patches.

Download link is at the bottom of the page.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I enjoyed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, for different reasons, but the one DLC that got under my skin was The Pitt. It should be easy to hate a slaver and thus root for the oppressed, right? But nope, by the time I was done I was so thoroughly disgusted with both sides of the conflict I ended up killing everybody in any position of power.

I actually felt pretty good when I finished Dead Money in FNV, but for the Pitt, I just felt dirty. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The only good Fallout 3 DLC was Mothership Zeta. The Pitt was half-finished garbage, Operation: Anchorage was a pointless linear romp, and Point Lookout was full of bizarrely bullet spongey enemies.

e: Broken Steel was good too i guess

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FadedReality posted:

If you are going to play F:NV for the first time or again because of the discussion here, get JSawyer mod by project lead and goonbro Josh Sawyer to make your trek through the wasteland difficult in a way that isn't the usual bullet sponge enemies and glass cannon player.
It's worth mentioning that the mod massively reduces the level cap to prevent the most ludicrously overpowered builds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hail To The King: Deathbat

quote:

Deathbat is a 3rd person, overhead dungeon crawler action RPG in the vein of The Legend of Zelda, Gauntlet Legends, and Diablo. The game’s story is based on the mythical origin of the Deathbat, Avenged Sevenfold’s logo and mascot.

quote:

From the minds of Avenged Sevenfold comes Hail to the King: Deathbat.

Deathbat is a 3rd person, action adventure RPG, a throwback to the classics of yesteryear. The game’s story is based on the mythical origin of the Deathbat, Avenged Sevenfold’s logo and mascot. The game’s design is not for the faint of heart as players will need to traverse the underworld, combat skillful undead, and best unforgiving bosses. The epic story follows Andronikos, the resurrected King of the Underworld and the embodiment of the Deathbat, who is tasked with reclaiming the lands of Haides from the despotic Dark Andronikos. Along the way you’ll mix and match brutal melee combat with projectile magic attacks battling through beautifully designed and hellish landscapes inspired by the band’s iconic discography and artwork. Interact with characters along the way to solve puzzles and unlock the mysteries of Moros Island.

Hail to the King: Deathbat features classic Avenged Sevenfold tracks along with a new and original score, composed by the band in the immortal tradition of 8-bit masterpieces like Castlevania.

Features:
- Game tells the fictional origin story of the Deathbat
- Play through levels inspired by Avenged Sevenfold’s catalog
- Play as members of the band
- Features an original score, written by Avenged Sevenfold for the game
- 7 new paintings by artist Cam Rackam
- 14 pieces of never-before seen artwork intended for use in earlier albums
- Jimmy ”The Rev” Sullivan plays an integral part in the storyline and can be unlocked
- Rich, immersive storyline that will appeal to gamers and fans of the band alike
- Interact with non-playable characters to learn about and solve the mysteries of the island
- Unlock new weapons and magical abilities to defeat enemy hoards and difficult bosses
- 10-12 hours of gameplay
- Additional “Nightmare Mode” for those who are able to beat the regular game (adds an additional 10-12 hours of gameplay)

Finally, we get the story of a one-hit-wonder's logo!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus Chr-:barf:
:barf:
:suicide:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh my goodness lol.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Has there ever been a good video game based on a band? I remember there was some terrible Kiss thing. Ed Hunter was maybe OK?

Blind Guardian in Sacred 2 was pretty cool, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfE55c_ZjI

Orv
May 4, 2011
There is no god.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
And yes, Mr. New Vegas is far better than Three Dog. I guess this is another dig at Bethesda, since Mr. New Vegas is a literal machine.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Operation: Anchorage was a pointless linear romp

Communist detected.

Do not allow the red menace to prevent you from doing your duty and playing Fallout 3.

Ddraig posted:

Has there ever been a good video game based on a band? I remember there was some terrible Kiss thing. Ed Hunter was maybe OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLC8Asq4dg
:colbert:

Revolution X featuring Aerosmith

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Crüe Ball was great. I never played the Queensrÿche game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lordfrikk posted:

New Vegas and Skyrim improved on and fixed a lot of flaws that FO3 and Oblivion had. They are still good games though!

e: NV and Skyrim also have their own flaws. Also Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, and Point Lookout were fun.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread