Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

got my second win

code:
1482347 pigswill the Slayer (level 27, 210/210 (219) HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on Oct 29, 2014.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Oct 30, 2014!

The game lasted 07:32:14 (103797 turns).

pigswill the Slayer (Merfolk Gladiator)           Turns: 103797, Time: 07:32:15

HP 210/210 (219) AC 42     Str 23      XL: 27
MP  31/31        EV 27     Int  6      God: Okawaru [*****.]
Gold 3646        SH 18     Dex 26      Spells:  6 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     Y - +7 demon trident (vamp)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     l - +9 storm dragon armour of Jigsaw {rElec Dex+5}
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    .     Z - +3 shield of Heosel {Spirit, rElec rC+}
rPois  +         rRot     .     X - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     O - +2 cloak {MR+}
SustAb .         Warding  .     J - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     b - +1 pair of boots {run}
Gourm  .                        e - amulet "Kle Fuq" {Faith +Inv rElec rPois Slay-1}
MR     ++++.                    v - ring of Kiodehid {rF+ Str+3 Int-3}
                                H - ring "Fedofyitywn" {MR+ Stlth+}

@: very slightly contaminated, drained, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: change form in water, swift swim, frail 1, low mp 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Swelter Discharge posted:

got my second win

code:
1482347 pigswill the Slayer (level 27, 210/210 (219) HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on Oct 29, 2014.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Oct 30, 2014!

The game lasted 07:32:14 (103797 turns).

pigswill the Slayer (Merfolk Gladiator)           Turns: 103797, Time: 07:32:15

HP 210/210 (219) AC 42     Str 23      XL: 27
MP  31/31        EV 27     Int  6      God: Okawaru [*****.]
Gold 3646        SH 18     Dex 26      Spells:  6 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     Y - +7 demon trident (vamp)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     l - +9 storm dragon armour of Jigsaw {rElec Dex+5}
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    .     Z - +3 shield of Heosel {Spirit, rElec rC+}
rPois  +         rRot     .     X - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     O - +2 cloak {MR+}
SustAb .         Warding  .     J - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     b - +1 pair of boots {run}
Gourm  .                        e - amulet "Kle Fuq" {Faith +Inv rElec rPois Slay-1}
MR     ++++.                    v - ring of Kiodehid {rF+ Str+3 Int-3}
                                H - ring "Fedofyitywn" {MR+ Stlth+}

@: very slightly contaminated, drained, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: change form in water, swift swim, frail 1, low mp 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer

GOONGRATULATIONS

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Thug Lessons posted:

His wrath is a bit worse as of 0.15 but it was alway bad for him to drop a ton of poo poo on you when you're in the middle of getting tormented and hellfired.

Yea honestly I usually waited it out or saved like Orc/Elf or maybe Crypt to burn it off. It's kinda boring play I know.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
How'd you like the Merman Gladiator?

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

How'd you like the Merman Gladiator?

thought it was pretty good. they have great pole-arms and dodging apts which was very nice and being able to swim in shoals made it so much easier.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

El Wombato posted:

Yea honestly I usually waited it out or saved like Orc/Elf or maybe Crypt to burn it off. It's kinda boring play I know.

you can't wait it out now, you have to actually kill things to progress through wrath. it's a good change.

Swelter Discharge posted:

thought it was pretty good. they have great pole-arms and dodging apts which was very nice and being able to swim in shoals made it so much easier.

ya they're real good (though I'm bad with them). grats on the win!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i'm a minotaur with plate armor, molten scales, and a beak.

its been 82 turns.

:stare:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

klapman posted:

i'm a minotaur with plate armor, molten scales, and a beak.

its been 82 turns.

:stare:

Mutations are fun.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Oka's wrath (and all god wraths) were easier to deal with when they expired in X turns, and you could wait them out somewhere safe. Now they expire when you've gained X experience, which makes you that much more likely to get jumped by a pack of frost giants while you're trying to fight something dangerous.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Alright, that's actually a good change because waiting it out was a lil scummy. I bet you could still use Crypt to burn off most of it and get some sweet TSO piety for basically free.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

haven't tried it in 0.15 but if oka sent any wrath poo poo after me in hells i would spin in a circle with my axe and problem solved

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Made it to the spider den as a melee character

took one step, and I'm suddenly webbed, surrounded by spiders, attacked, and continually webbed over and over till I die

It was just bad luck really, there were so many spiders so close to the stairs that got alerted just by me moving a single tile. RIP

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

So who runs tiles and who runs ascii and who plays offline?

I play webtiles and I was curious how many others did the same.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

i prefer local tiles because webtiles seems really laggy and bad

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've been playing local tiles since I doubt i'll ever really get good enough to compete in terms of high scores other than "holy poo poo I actually beat it :stare"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

El Wombato posted:

Alright, that's actually a good change because waiting it out was a lil scummy. I bet you could still use Crypt to burn off most of it and get some sweet TSO piety for basically free.

quite a lot of people think that

sometimes it works

quote:

343 game[over]s for * (recent crypt):
52x the fury of Okawaru, 31x an ancient lich, 20x a lich, 19x a vampire knight, 17x a curse skull, 16x the rage of Trog, ...

sometimes it doesn't!

OkieMurse posted:

I run webtiles; it's a little laggy but it's nice having an audience sometimes

also offline doesn't count, obv.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

OkieMurse posted:

Used to play on local tiles. Relied heavily on the mouse controls so i didn't have to bother learning all the key commands. Now I just play web tiles.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Online ASCII.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

went to the shoals for the first time armed with a +4 antimagic executioners axe, as well as a +3 fire one, was doing pretty well until I got a net thrown on me and then I died in like 3 turns from 5 people throwing spears at me. RIP.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i saw natasha, so i berserked, took two steps towards her, and the berserk wore off. why did that happen? i don't normally play berserkers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
low blood sugar maybe

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ibram Gaunt posted:

went to the shoals for the first time armed with a +4 antimagic executioners axe, as well as a +3 fire one, was doing pretty well until I got a net thrown on me and then I died in like 3 turns from 5 people throwing spears at me. RIP.

i look up at the sky and shout gently caress every time i get shoals

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

i saw natasha, so i berserked, took two steps towards her, and the berserk wore off. why did that happen? i don't normally play berserkers.

possibly she got a slow off on you first, which meant those two steps took a little longer than usual?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Roctavian posted:

possibly she got a slow off on you first, which meant those two steps took a little longer than usual?

maybe. if she did i didn't notice.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Digging the Halloween easter eggs.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

Digging the Halloween easter eggs.

are those only online?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

the one that says tiles build

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Casters are so much harder early on than my MiBe. The hobgoblins are getting their fill of my blood tonight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Be a naga, their blood is poisonous and if you get a red tail they know to avoid you like poison dart frogs.

Actually why don't nagas gain more poison spit damage for eating poisonous food.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I was on D:9 or 10 and in a bit of trouble so I climbed up some trapdoor stairs. Ended up in a room with no door to the main portion of the map with some fountains in it. 1 door leading to a hallway with hedges. 1 more door and there was a room full of shifters and fire crabs and cyclops and wraiths.... rip.

I didn't even know that there were zoos like that hiding off the map. I was laughing out loud at how ridiculous it was the whole time.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Anyone got any tips for Skalds? trying to get a HeSk off the ground and not sure what skills/spells to prioritise.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing dumb easy melee characters and things always start hitting me really hard a few levels down in the Lair. I wonder if this is the time when I should start enchanting my armor even though I haven't found anything special yet, or maybe my skill training is hosed up, or it just seems like I should start doing something a bit differently.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ion Helmet posted:

I've been playing dumb easy melee characters and things always start hitting me really hard a few levels down in the Lair. I wonder if this is the time when I should start enchanting my armor even though I haven't found anything special yet, or maybe my skill training is hosed up, or it just seems like I should start doing something a bit differently.

Some things in Lair just hit really hard and you have to be careful fighting them regardless of character (Hydras, spiny frogs, elephants, death yaks)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ion Helmet posted:

If you're doing heavy armor, the main skills you'll need are your weapon type, fighting, and armor. Also shield if you're using one. If you follow a god like Oka you can activate his abilities in tough fights too.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Parallax Scroll posted:

If you're doing heavy armor, the main skills you'll need are your weapon type, fighting, and armor. Also shield if you're using one. If you follow a god like Oka you can activate his abilities in tough fights too.

This.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Also wands can be a lifesaver for melee characters so put some points in evocations too I guess.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Anyway really the only way to deal with Lair is to learn Lair, learn the monsters and figure out whether they're something you can take with your current character. However you can always run from hydras, yaks and death yaks, so just do that if they're what's giving you trouble. Also it's okay to use your enchant scrolls early, a lot of good players just dump the early ones into whatever they have to give early survivability.

Skill training follows the basic principle of "train offense until it's sufficient to take on current threats, then train defense", an a central principle is reaching min delay with your weapon. If you look at an item in the inventory screen, you'll see delay and min delay. Every two levels of weapon skill lowers delay by 0.1 turns until it reaches min delay, in other words, you need ((delay - min delay) * 2 * 10) skill. It's good to focus on lowering delay early (i.e. training weapon skill exclusively), but it's usually not worth it to rush min delay to the detriment of all else, especially when using a weapon that requires a lot of skill. A battleaxe needs 20 skill to reach min delay, but it's counterproductive to rush that while completely failing to train Fighting (which raises HP) or Armour/Dodging. However once you reach min delay, and haven't secured another weapon you want to use instead, it's safe to turn off the weapon skill entirely.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

oh yeah get a blowgun and poison everything dangerous from a distance. works on almost everything in lair

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

oh yeah get a blowgun and poison everything dangerous from a distance. works on almost everything in lair

It doesn't work on the most dangerous monsters, namely hydras, spiny frogs and black mambas. It also technically works on death yaks but good luck killing those with needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

It doesn't work on the most dangerous monsters, namely hydras, spiny frogs and black mambas. It also technically works on death yaks but good luck killing those with needles.

p sure you can poison hydras. anyway the point is to soften them up before you whack em.

• Locked thread