Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Very solid car.

Fist sized rust holes in the quarter pannel. The floors probably look like lace.

Very solid car.

On the pick-up, a static drop on something that low is asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

In the garbage since the air bag deployed.

I really, really, really hate aftermarket steering wheels. They look like absolute poo poo 100% of the time. I know some are good quality but they make the interior look much worse, particularly on 80s and 90s cars, it just looks really loving stupid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I apologize in advance for my comment but goddamn: I'm looking for Integras right now and every 3rd one has a horrid steering wheel that looked like it was cribbed from a Crusin' USA arcade cabinet.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Things I've learned: avoid any and all ads with the following words "JDM, Clean, Fresh, Mint, Dropped, Godly sound system, Skunk2/Yonaka/Mishimoto, loud, testing waters".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No you're right, most of them were bought off Ebay and look like total poo poo.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Human Grand Prix posted:

I really, really, really hate aftermarket steering wheels. They look like absolute poo poo 100% of the time. I know some are good quality but they make the interior look much worse, particularly on 80s and 90s cars, it just looks really loving stupid.

I highly disagree.

Mid nineties airbag steering wheels are horrible monsters with stupid little thumb button horns and usually way too big for performance driving.

Most Momo steering wheels (aside from their 2 fast 2 furious models) are usually pretty good.

(Momo Mod08 on an EVO)

Compare that to this:

Typical 90s Integra/big rear end airbag wheel.

Mod07 on a Porsche

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 31, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That wheel looks like cheap poo poo. I'd take the airbag wheel any day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd feel sketchy driving a car with no airbag (at least without a proper cage, harness, helmet, etc.), but I really do want a steering wheel closer to my chest, and maybe just slightly smaller diameter.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Right, so, tomorrow, if everything goes well, I'm going to go for this car.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4737864357.html

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
can you make it like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIY4wuwc8XA

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

"This is the automotive equivalent of two cats having violent sex in a dumpster".

If that means it's fun? Then I'm onboard, yeah.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Geirskogul posted:

That wheel looks like cheap poo poo. I'd take the airbag wheel any day.

haha yeah, cheap pieces of poo poo. :rolleyes:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4739403123.html

Hey, anyone wanna buy an amphibious treaded vehicle?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4739403123.html

Hey, anyone wanna buy an amphibious treaded vehicle?

What the hell kind of question is that???

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Octopus Magic posted:

haha yeah, cheap pieces of poo poo. :rolleyes:

Well, you see, the wheel you posted actually looks nice, unlike the nickel arcade racer wheel posted above.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The NA Miata airbag wheel is the worst

Compared to the normal non airbag version

Its not like an airbag is going to do you a lot of good if the structure of the car isn't going to hold up anyway - in old cars like that they only there because they were legislated.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In this thread: people that don't think airbags are "worth it."

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Seatbelts just get in the way man, do you want to be strapped down in a burning wreck??

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geirskogul posted:

An airbag isn't going to do any good if the structure of the car is going to fail.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

An airbag isn't going to do any good if the structure of the car is going to fail.

Do you not understand that there are impacts between "structural failure" and "paint scratch" where an airbag is beneficial?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For what it's worth, had I been wearing a seatbelt in the bad accident 17 years ago I woulda been dead.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Fucknag posted:

I'd feel sketchy driving a car with no airbag (at least without a proper cage, harness, helmet, etc.), but I really do want a steering wheel closer to my chest, and maybe just slightly smaller diameter.

Gotcha covered:

edit: Airbag talk. I'd take an airbag over non-airbag any day even though my grandma was essentially killed by hers from internal bleeding. That said, she was 81 and weighed 105 lbs since she was barely 5' tall. Under 125, I would disable it and take my chances, but as I'd say most people wouldn't fit that profile, they're more beneficial than harmful.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Right, so, tomorrow, if everything goes well, I'm going to go for this car.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4737864357.html

Sounds like it's a great winter car because the AC doesn't work and it overheats a lot.

So yes, buy -> comprehend -> post.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

The NA Miata airbag wheel is the worst

Compared to the normal non airbag version

Its not like an airbag is going to do you a lot of good if the structure of the car isn't going to hold up anyway - in old cars like that they only there because they were legislated.

Airbagless oem wheels look better to be sure but for the most part aftermarket wheels look worse than oem options. The Momo on the Miata does look nice though, probably because it was a factory spec piece.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 31, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No, that's the airbag wheel (the horn buttons are off to the side so as not to impede the overpowered explosive device from smashing your face). I have one in my '97.

Some early Canadian models shipped without airbags, this is the wheel they had:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No, that's the airbag wheel (the horn buttons are off to the side so as not to impede the overpowered explosive device from smashing your face). I have one in my '97.

Some early Canadian models shipped without airbags, this is the wheel they had:

Yeah this is one I was thinking of. It's the best looking IMO.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

It looks dumb and plastic-y.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Geirskogul posted:

I had a car salesman tell me that "airbags will kill you, you don't want those."

Rhyno posted:

For what it's worth, had I been wearing a seatbelt in the bad accident 17 years ago I woulda been dead.

And I had a motorcycle accident where if I hadn't been wearing a helmet (well...THAT helmet) I wouldn't have ended up with amnesia (but half my face would've been sanded off).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

VideoTapir posted:

I had a car salesman tell me that "airbags will kill you, you don't want those."

If you are an infant and your child seat has been installed backwards in the front passenger seat.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Or you're a passenger with your feet on the dashboard. I wonder how far back your legs would get.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sanchez posted:

Or you're a passenger with your feet on the dashboard. I wonder how far back your legs would get.

This happened to a girl at my high school. Surprisingly, only one broken ankle from it, but pretty badly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

sanchez posted:

Happened to my friend. Broke both of her ankles. Not sure if the car had a passenger side air bag now that I think about it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A just result for people who put their feet up on the dashboard. I had a girlfriend who did that years ago, used to put her bare toes up against the windshield, ugh.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The severed-leg scene from Death Proof suddenly comes to mind.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Octopus Magic posted:

It looks dumb and plastic-y.

You really earned that red text, didn't you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There is certain death for feet on the dashboard. Its disgusting and tacky. Death for any one who touches the windshield with feet.

(For the record, I find feet disgusting - I know I'm no fun)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There is certain death for feet on the dashboard. Its disgusting and tacky. Death for any one who touches the windshield with feet.

(For the record, I find feet disgusting - I know I'm no fun)

Same. Feet on the dash? Fuckshit you're riding in the trunk. Probably with the aid of ducttape too. sack of poo poo I just detailed this thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

The severed-leg scene from Death Proof suddenly comes to mind.

That's leg out the window. :colbert:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4730687297.html

What do you guys think? Is this a terrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Not in the slightest.