Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought the anecdote about robot work conditions was interesting. I'm looking forward to some more stuff about Paladin though, my impression of her so far is that she's intelligent, driven and confident... so I'm really hoping the next few pages go more into her motivations and worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm hoping that Paladin can help push Alison out of this slump she's in. It'd be nice for her to finally start taking action to solve one problem instead of trying to think of a solution to all problems.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falstaff posted:

The question on my mind at this point is why, if Paladin is such an obvious robotics prodigy, has she not been bumped off by whatever force wants to bump off anyone who's capable of changing the world? Seems bleeding edge robotics would qualify.

Unless of course she's sold out to the powers-that-be. I suppose that would explain the police mechs we've seen occasionally in the background.

Maybe they haven't gotten to it yet so the authors can have Allison see one of these murders directly in a future chapter.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seems like exactly the sort of reaction a college-age super-genius would have to being told that their particle accelerator will be delayed by a week. Lisa seems like a pretty cool person though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Nice to see John Henry getting a happy ending :unsmith:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Until this moment I'd never recognized that John Henry was a 'gently caress progress!' story. And while it tries to sympathize with the common worker the end result is a black man literally working himself to death for the railroad owner. Now I'm wondering what dark secrets Johnny Appleseed might hold.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well, you see, it's about their drummer and how he gets laid in every city they visit on tour.

:v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DrakePegasus posted:

Until this moment I'd never recognized that John Henry was a 'gently caress progress!' story. And while it tries to sympathize with the common worker the end result is a black man literally working himself to death for the railroad owner. Now I'm wondering what dark secrets Johnny Appleseed might hold.

Well, it it's that in the wake of mechanization, nothing good's going to happen to these out of work laborers. They're going to have to go off and find some even more poo poo job in a world that probably hates them. John Henry was fighting to was fighting for everyone he knew to keep their jobs. It was the same deal with the Luddites. Progress tends to gently caress over little people sometimes.

Like what's that mural supposed to be? Is the robot saying, "Great work here, John. Now we don't need you anymore, so you can just accept your inferiority and maybe go die in a mine or take a stab at sharecropping, I've heard that's nice."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like what's that mural supposed to be? Is the robot saying, "Great work here, John. Now we don't need you anymore, so you can just accept your inferiority and maybe go die in a mine or take a stab at sharecropping, I've heard that's nice."

I guess that he's free to go find his real passion and potential, which seems hard for someone who was born with a hammer in his hands, lord lord.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, it it's that in the wake of mechanization, nothing good's going to happen to these out of work laborers. They're going to have to go off and find some even more poo poo job in a world that probably hates them. John Henry was fighting to was fighting for everyone he knew to keep their jobs. It was the same deal with the Luddites. Progress tends to gently caress over little people sometimes.

The mural means "John Henry is gonna bang that robot".

Also, the story of John Henry is hugely about how the individual workers are gonna get hosed over and will have to work other lovely jobs, but also that a man's determination and heart can always mean the difference between success and failure.

(Allison is totally gonna pick that subreactor up onto her shoulder and just be like "Where's this poo poo going?". Either it's gonna go great or the thing will have a stress fracture and explode.)

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

rotinaj posted:

(Allison is totally gonna pick that subreactor up onto her shoulder and just be like "Where's this poo poo going?". Either it's gonna go great or the thing will have a stress fracture and explode.)

Exactly what I came in here to say. I'm a little torn because it always bugs me when Superman lifts an entire plane by one wing flap, but then it'd also be pretty unrealistic for Allison not to foresee this outcome. I guess we're operating on comic book rules though.

Anyway the John Henry shoe fits. Surely she's going to put five separate construction teams out of work by lifting I-beams for a hobby, and have to grapple with the wider ramifications of that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think that's why she's asking if it's all one piece, since that would make it easier to move without breaking chunks off of it. But yeah, hopefully she will lift it in a non-ridiculous way.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
There's really no safe, stable way for her to lift it - She's more likely to put her feet through the floor when she puts its entire weight through her heels.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
She picked up the deathbot without either sinking into the concrete or having it collapse under its own weight, so superhero physics are in full effect.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I done been told. :(

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Tactile Telekinesis!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"You try me, Taylor. That's what you do, you try me."

SFP isn't a masterpiece of writing, for sure, but I like what it does when it does it well.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

"You try me, Taylor. That's what you do, you try me."

SFP isn't a masterpiece of writing, for sure, but I like what it does when it does it well.

I'm not an American so I'm not really familiar with any John Henry stories, but I assume she's inadvertently quoting or paraphrasing a mine owner there?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Nah, it's just a facepalm moment that tickled me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My copy of Book One showed up in the mail today. It's pretty nice, but I haven't gotten much of a chance to poke through it yet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Enjoying this enough that I forgot what the chapter was about :smith:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's almost like those robots are tiny posters on their own terrible forum.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Brought To You By posted:

It's almost like those robots are tiny posters on their own terrible forum.

That's probably scary close to what being in an actual hive-mind is really like.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, my frame of reference are the Tachikoma episodes from Ghost in the Shell.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah, my frame of reference are the Tachikoma episodes from Ghost in the Shell.

They were so adorable and I loved it when they froze that android with logical contradictions.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I always thought idea of stopping an AI with logical contradictions was kind of silly. Any properly designed logic engine is going to be able to handle Undefined truth values. For some reason AIs in media all seem to use raw booleans and have 0 catch blocks.

Edit: Pshh wow for a second there I forgot this wasn't a programming thread.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Frankly, I thought Portal 2 handled it in a clever manner by having the AI be too stupid to realize it was a logical contradiction.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Axiem posted:

Frankly, I thought Portal 2 handled it in a clever manner by having the AI be too stupid to realize it was a logical contradiction.
That bit of Portal 2 also sums up an interesting aspect of that character: not only is he really stupid, he's been extremely well programmed to be really stupid. His stupidity is that of a human, not of a machine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bender is a pretty well crafted AI since he can solve resolve logic conflicts by not caring about them.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Don't forget paradox absorbing crumple zones.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Turing and Lovelace happily plucking the apples from the tree of knowledge proves it, she is intentionally putting up murals that defy the moral of the original story.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Her power is being a super genius technology person. It makes sense that she would forcibly reject anti-technology, anti-knowledge, anti-progress messages.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I like how all her attempts at creating an idealized version of a conscious intelligence, results in said intelligence immediately becoming homicidal/suicidal. It's a chilling fact considering that she's demonstrably very good at it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The best part of that is it's actually oddly close to what it really feels like trying to program a complex and ambiguously defined system. I wasn't really expecting my social justice superhero comic to understand me as a programmer today.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Computers are bullshit mystery cubes, man.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I like how all her attempts at creating an idealized version of a conscious intelligence, results in said intelligence immediately becoming homicidal/suicidal. It's a chilling fact considering that she's demonstrably very good at it.

It sticks out to me that she hasn't tried putting together all three versions yet. Something with justice and fairness that can also be empathic and sympathetic, while having enough humor to get through the bad crap. Unless that's behind door number 4 here.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

It sticks out to me that she hasn't tried putting together all three versions yet. Something with justice and fairness that can also be empathic and sympathetic, while having enough humor to get through the bad crap. Unless that's behind door number 4 here.

Alternatively, the result will be an AI that decides to be omnicidal for the lols

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
IF I'm reading the last panel right, she already got an "lol suicide" AI

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Slashrat posted:

Well, not all attempts, just the first three. Presumably the AI she had greeting the door isn't totally homicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Carrasco posted:

Well, not all attempts, just the first three. Presumably the AI she had greeting the door isn't totally homicidal.

It is, but it is bound to its laws not to kill anyone directly. That is why it offers deadly neurotoxin to people.

• Locked thread