Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Wait, what? I recall Unicorn's action scenes being pretty brutal to everything involved. Beams were either dodged or blocked with i-fields, and the only times things tanked anything were when the weapon in question was a beam machine gun and thus not exactly one hit kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait, what? I recall Unicorn's action scenes being pretty brutal to everything involved. Beams were either dodged or blocked with i-fields, and the only times things tanked anything were when the weapon in question was a beam machine gun and thus not exactly one hit kills.

I recently watched the final episode, so my opinion is likely tainted by that. It's pretty extreme, though, because the Unicorn AND the Neo Zeong both have impenetrable i-Fields and neither dude seriously tries anything other than "shoot guns that haven't worked for the last 10 minutes" until Full Frontal starts shooting the colony interior at random.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want to see Minato transition from 'snarky prick' to 'gushing fanboy' the instant Mao enters the room.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I recently watched the final episode, so my opinion is likely tainted by that. It's pretty extreme, though, because the Unicorn AND the Neo Zeong both have impenetrable i-Fields and neither dude seriously tries anything other than "shoot guns that haven't worked for the last 10 minutes" until Full Frontal starts shooting the colony interior at random.

unicorn only has an i field on it's shield, and the fight in the colony only last a couple of minutes. I don't even think Banagher fights the neo zeong n the colony, he just high tails it out of there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I don't know how anyone could watch any fight from Unicorn featuring the Sinanju and declare the show's action 'boring'. The opening battle from episode 7 is easily one of my all-time favourite mecha action sequences.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If any of you had any doubts about the best machine in the show, allow me to dispel them for you.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Build Burning Bear Guy F Amazing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DookieSandwich posted:

Too bad Fumina didn't take Ral's advice and went with a Gouf custom as a mid range suit.

I realize this show is still in its early stages so far but I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed that the GM custom is getting replaced with the SD-whatever. I dunno, maybe there's some whole cultural context I'm missing and SD Gundam is considered super awesome over in Japan or something, but to me it looks like the writers are having the female lead trade in her pretty badass giant robot for what's essentially a mascot.

I admit this could just entirely be me. The whole SD Gundams get a resounding "whatever" from me, so it's possible I'm just not the target for this decision. Still I'm a little disappointed that the GM's time in the spotlight was so short and that it mostly seemed to exist to get shot/beat up in order to show how dangerous things are getting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SD Gundams are quite popular and really well-liked. Hell, the Musha Godmaru basically started selling out everywhere the moment the most recent episode aired.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The SD Gundams are like way more powerful than the GM Caridan, she's getting an upgrade and fitting in her need to be a hybrid of support and attack for the team.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kai Tave posted:

I realize this show is still in its early stages so far but I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed that the GM custom is getting replaced with the SD-whatever. I dunno, maybe there's some whole cultural context I'm missing and SD Gundam is considered super awesome over in Japan or something, but to me it looks like the writers are having the female lead trade in her pretty badass giant robot for what's essentially a mascot.

I admit this could just entirely be me. The whole SD Gundams get a resounding "whatever" from me, so it's possible I'm just not the target for this decision. Still I'm a little disappointed that the GM's time in the spotlight was so short and that it mostly seemed to exist to get shot/beat up in order to show how dangerous things are getting.

Did you miss the part where the rival beat the poo poo out of the lead male with a hastily put together SD gundam?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I'm not a huge fan of SDs, but she saw one do something cool and now she wants one for herself. Considering the real-life response to the Dom in episode one, that seems like a pretty realistic turn of events. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The SD Gundams are however considered 'girl' mecha (due to being cute) which is why she is getting one. It was pretty surprising they had two dudes fighting in SD Gundams last episode in a good way.

Regardless of anything, BF (and BFT) seem to have a very clear gender delineation between male and female robots. Women pilots (almost) exclusively pilot either 'cute' mecha or robots piloted by women in canon. The exception seems to be stuff customized to be more girly. (Miss Sazabi, GM Cardigan.) Likewise I don't think we ever see a dude piloting a 'girl' mecha, with the SD Gundams this episode being the first pretty cool deviation from that. (Although in this case both of those robots are guys in their canon.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 31, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

Did you miss the part where the rival beat the poo poo out of the lead male with a hastily put together SD gundam?

Yes because I'm actually completely blind, I'm only posting to this thread thanks to my specially trained seeing-internet dog.

Yeah I saw it, it doesn't really change my opinion that the GM was a cooler robot and I'm disappointed to see it go, sorry.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

The SD Gundams are however considered 'girl' mecha (due to being cute) which is why she is getting one. It was pretty surprising they had two dudes fighting in SD Gundams last episode in a good way.

Regardless of anything, BF (and BFT) seem to have a very clear gender delineation between male and female robots. Women pilots (almost) exclusively pilot either 'cute' mecha or robots piloted by women in canon. The exception seems to be stuff customized to be more girly. (Miss Sazabi, GM Cardigan.) Likewise I don't think we ever see a dude piloting a 'girl' mecha, with the SD Gundams this episode being the first pretty cool deviation from that. (Although in this case both of those robots are guys in their canon.)

How is the GM Cardigan considered girly? I'm not disagreeing with your main point, mind, it just doesn't really strike me as having been redesigned to be more feminine like the Miss Sazabi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

How is the GM Cardigan considered girly? I'm not disagreeing with your main point, mind, it just doesn't really strike me as having been redesigned to be more feminine like the Miss Sazabi.

In Japan a cardigan is frequently associated with teenage schoolgirls. Male versions exist but it's just the perception. That is why Fumina's is the GM Cardigan. It isn't redesigned like the Miss Sazabi though, aside from the bright yellow coloring.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There should, at some poijnt, the most over-the-top fabulous bishonen piloting the custom Princess Exia. Or a modified Rose Gundam. poo poo, I should have voted for Rose Gundam.

It would be a-meijin.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Why not go with the classic?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kai Tave posted:

Yes because I'm actually completely blind, I'm only posting to this thread thanks to my specially trained seeing-internet dog.

Yeah I saw it, it doesn't really change my opinion that the GM was a cooler robot and I'm disappointed to see it go, sorry.

" I dunno, maybe there's some whole cultural context I'm missing and SD Gundam is considered super awesome over in Japan or something, but to me it looks like the writers are having the female lead trade in her pretty badass giant robot for what's essentially a mascot."

IDK you were edging pretty close to some :qq: weak female no agency :qq: poo poo there.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I imagine that the SD gundam will give her some advantages, I'll wait and see what the writers are going to do with it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In Japan a cardigan is frequently associated with teenage schoolgirls. Male versions exist but it's just the perception. That is why Fumina's is the GM Cardigan. It isn't redesigned like the Miss Sazabi though, aside from the bright yellow coloring.

Ah, fair enough.

Also, would it qualify as a "girly" mech if it was something that was piloted exclusively by a female pilot? Because I just remembered that Carlos Kaizer, a former World Champion, had a custom Alpha Azieru in Season 1. (Though, granted, all we really got to see of that was what was left of it after Aila tore it apart off-screen.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

" I dunno, maybe there's some whole cultural context I'm missing and SD Gundam is considered super awesome over in Japan or something, but to me it looks like the writers are having the female lead trade in her pretty badass giant robot for what's essentially a mascot."

IDK you were edging pretty close to some :qq: weak female no agency :qq: poo poo there.

"Did you miss the part where the rival beat the poo poo out of the lead male with a hastily put together SD gundam?"

So serious question, why isn't the male lead the one going "drat, SD Gundam, gotta get me some of that poo poo."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Ah, fair enough.

Also, would it qualify as a "girly" mech if it was something that was piloted exclusively by a female pilot? Because I just remembered that Carlos Kaizer, a former World Champion, had a custom Alpha Azieru in Season 1. (Though, granted, all we really got to see of that was what was left of it after Aila tore it apart off-screen.)

Nope, you're right about that one. I forgot about it because it never showed onscreen but that was totally a guy piloting a traditionally 'girl' robot.

Kai Tave posted:

"Did you miss the part where the rival beat the poo poo out of the lead male with a hastily put together SD gundam?"

So serious question, why isn't the male lead the one going "drat, SD Gundam, gotta get me some of that poo poo."

Dude already has a perfectly serviceable Gundam that fits his fighting style, he just doesn't have the knowledge to deal with changing battlefield conditions or unusual enemy gimmicks. Fumina is the opposite and capable of analyzing battlefield conditions but the GM Cardigan isn't a good choice for her combat role.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

because SD gundams aren't made for kung fu, the whole point of the scene was to show that not every gunpla is suited for his martial arts.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kai Tave posted:

Probably because he has an upgraded version of the build that won a world tournament and also fights in the exact same manner as him? And there's only one of it???

I mean, I like the GM Cardigan too and I think it's probably one of the cooler robbits this season despite its vanilla styling. But this constant pull back to MY GENDER EQUALITY is loving retarded lol. Stop being goddamn babies and watch your show about plastic toys fighting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, you're right about that one. I forgot about it because it never showed onscreen but that was totally a guy piloting a traditionally 'girl' robot.

Yeah, only other example I can think of is kind of a grey area, and that's the Build Gundam Mk. 2. I tend to associate the Gundam Mk. 2 more with Emma Sheen and Elle Vianno thanks to the Gundam Musou games, but it was also technically a hand-me-down from Kamille before he swapped over to the Zeta.

I guess the Lightning Gundam would also fall into that grey area, since it's based off the Re-GZ, which Chan ended up taking after Amuro moved up to the Nu Gundam. But like I said, it's kind of stretching it a bit on those two. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, only other example I can think of is kind of a grey area, and that's the Build Gundam Mk. 2. I tend to associate the Gundam Mk. 2 more with Emma Sheen and Elle Vianno thanks to the Gundam Musou games, but it was also technically a hand-me-down from Kamille before he swapped over to the Zeta.

I guess the Lightning Gundam would also fall into that grey area, since it's based off the Re-GZ, which Chan ended up taking after Amuro moved up to the Nu Gundam. But like I said, it's kind of stretching it a bit on those two. :shrug:

Yeah, stuff like the Mk.II and the ReGZ seem to fall into the category of being both because they had multiple pilots. The Zeta would too since Roux was the main pilot for it during ZZ. Likewise we seem to have a female-piloted Victory-slash-Impulse Gundam, both of which have pilots of both genders. (I'm wondering if Victory-Impulse can actually do part-switching under the rules.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The enemy SD Gundam guy said the SD parts are too short for Sekai's style. Even if you never watched an episode except this one, you are already told very bluntly he can't maximize his performance on an SD.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think some of the uneasiness around Hoshino switching to the SD has been around since the first reveal, it's clearly a girl machine for a series that has stuck to traditional gender roles in a lot of ways.

For us watching it as (mostly) adults we tend to carry a lot of baggage into our reading of subtext, but this is ultimately a kids show in execution. Kids don't carry all that baggage, they take their cues from what characters say to each other and how other characters react to them.

It's important not to overlook what people are actually saying in the show on our way to drawing conclusions about the subtext. When the SD kits are introduced in the show they're presented as a reasonable option from a man to a boy. Two of the kids present when Sekai battles with SDs are boys. Nobody genders the machines, nobody says "why don't you use a real Gundam :smug:" Sakai doesn't belittle Sekai for not using a Banshee Norn or whatever. Lots of shows would acknowledge the perception of SDs as being for girls, or lame, and add that stuff in. GBF is consciously looking past that.

Additionally, we've already (finally) established Hoshino's deep knowledge of the setting and all kinds of Gunpla, it's established that she's a skilled and competent battler. When she watches the fight between Sekai and Sakai she approaches it critically and seriously. At no point does she ever let out a :swoon: Kawaiiiiiiiii :swoon: or any other indication that SDs aren't serious, instead coming to a logical conclusion that the models with literal superpowers might help her escape from the rigid confines of standard Gundam building.

Ultimately the fact that she's a girl absolutely plays into the writers choosing that machine for her, but the show (so far) isn't portraying that as a weakness or as specifically a girly thing to do, which is just as interesting as giving her a "masculine" machine and calling it a day.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I read a very different definition for cardigan in this context than you do, especially since in every combat appearance it's had it's rushed into the fray headlong with nigh-suicidal bravery and gotten shot to pieces in the process.

I find "Cardigan can mean sweater, girls wear sweaters, ergo GM Cardigan = "girl bot" to be a little specious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I read a very different definition for cardigan in this context than you do, especially since in every combat appearance it's had it's rushed into the fray headlong with nigh-suicidal bravery and gotten shot to pieces in the process.

I find "Cardigan can mean sweater, girls wear sweaters, ergo GM Cardigan = "girl bot" to be a little specious.

I find the argument of "it's a reference to the 7th Earl of Cardigan" a hell of a lot more specious to be honest. And I didn't say "girls wear sweaters,' I said that particular brand of sweater tends to have a specific association.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 31, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I find the argument of "it's a reference to the 7th Earl of Cardigan" a hell of a lot more specious to be honest. And I didn't say "girls wear sweaters,' I said that particular brand of sweater tends to have a specific association.

Charge of the Light Brigade is pretty loving famous, dude, and the suit is a heavily armed cavalry mobile suit that has spent every fight running in and getting shot to pieces.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Charge of the Light Brigade is pretty loving famous, dude, and the suit is a heavily armed cavalry mobile suit that has spent every fight running in and getting shot to pieces.

"Fumina clearly is a fan of 17th century British military officers and named her custom-built mobile suit that way due to its tendency of getting shot up a lot" is a fairly extreme stretch, I think. Like, seriously.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 31, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

"Fumina clearly is a fan of 17th century British military officers and named her custom-built mobile suit that way due to its tendency of getting shot up a lot" is a fairly extreme stretch, I think. Like, seriously.

Fairly extreme as opposed to Fumina being a big fan of cardigan sweaters and naming her custom built mobile suit after them?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Fumina wears a cardigan. I am pretty sure that is, in fact, the joke.

Well that and 237 spells her name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Fairly extreme as opposed to Fumina being a big fan of cardigan sweaters and naming her custom built mobile suit after them?

She literally wears a Cardigan.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Ha, I was about to call you out on the part you edited out. :v:

The rest is true though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

Ha, I was about to call you out on the part you edited out. :v:

The rest is true though.

Yeah, I looked it up wrong, I double checked it after I posted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

She literally wears a Cardigan.

Looking forward to Build Burning Karate Gi Gundam and Lightning Glasses BWS.

I find naming your big artillery mobile suit after an extremely famous military officer from a world-renowned poem synonymous with duty and bravery to be a lot more plausible than naming it after an article of clothing that you like to wear a bunch, I suppose. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kanos posted:

Looking forward to Build Burning Karate Gi Gundam and Lightning Glasses BWS.

I find naming your big artillery mobile suit after an extremely famous military officer from a world-renowned poem synonymous with duty and bravery to be a lot more plausible than naming it after an article of clothing that you like to wear a bunch, I suppose. :shrug:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be a double meaning. The joke is definitely that she wears a cardigan, though.

• Locked thread