Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Omi-Polari posted:

Hah. True. But I think a lot of intelligence work is trying to sway opinion and policy inside other countries for your own government's ends. The U.S. also deploys this kind of soft power with gusto, of course. But if you Google these various think-tanks associated with the likes of Ron Paul and his people, you'll find a trail of breadcrumbs leading to these weird Italian and French organizations staffed by Russians promoting links to articles that they've landed at the likes of The National Interest about "The Russian point-of-view on X"

Ding. Ding. Ding.

And who's running for President in 2016 from Kentucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Relatedely, there are some strange stories of Chinese professors who come to work at Western universities, and they're a little looser in class about what the say. They go back home to visit, and get swept up by state security and interrogated, with the agents reading back their comments. Turns out one of the prof's students was an informant through the Chinese Students Association run out of the local consulate. Stuff like that.

--

It's fun to Google dive on this stuff. Like this:

http://www.strategic-culture.org/

What the hell is the Strategic Culture Foundation? It's staffed by Russians, is super anti-NATO, etc. Their partners are Globalresearch.ca and something called 4thmedia. Another website called International Affairs lists both the Strategic Culture Foundation and the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as partners.

http://en.interaffairs.ru/partners.html

Then you go back to 4thmedia and it's partnered with RT. And a lot of them don't have office addresses or phone numbers, yet they employ people and are putting out a lot of material every day. So huh. And Wayne Madsen (the American conspiracy theorist, regular InfoWars guest) is a columnist at the Strategic Culture Foundation. Do they pay him? I hope they do, because otherwise he'd be giving his work away for free. This might sound conspiratorial, but it's like, come on, money ain't grow on trees.

Even better, if you street view the address for International Affairs (listed on the website) it's literally right next door to the Venezuelan embassy in Moscow. Even weirder is that they list another address that goes here:

http://www.eastview.com/

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 31, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Vice Dispatch 82 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6EHo05CheE

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
My congratulations to Hungarian goons. I've seen it reported today that the internet tax proposal has been revoked.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ding. Ding. Ding.

In fairness, not giving a poo poo about what happens in eastern Europe is a valid libertarian position. As is taking money from shady sources, since it maximizes comparative advantage and cuts through government bureaucracy that stifles innovation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ding. Ding. Ding.

It's really ironic seeing this complaint from a J Street/AIPAC lobbyist who likely supported citizens united.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Hah. True. But I think a lot of intelligence work is trying to sway opinion and policy inside other countries for your own government's ends. The U.S. also deploys this kind of soft power with gusto, of course. But if you Google these various think-tanks associated with the likes of Ron Paul and his people, you'll find a trail of breadcrumbs leading to these weird Italian and French organizations staffed by Russians promoting links to articles that they've landed at the likes of The National Interest about "The Russian point-of-view on X"

This is absolutely true. Remember in 2012 when Romney took his show to Poland? This happened.

Meanwhile, today Putin said there are attempts to disrupt the strategic balance in the world

http://ria.ru/politics/20141031/1031133873.html

quote:

Putin: The world does not stop trying to break the strategic balance.

Instead, collective, civilized solution of international problems in the course of increasing the power goes, economic, informational leverage, the Russian President said.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting with the generals that continued attempts to upset the existing strategic balance in the world.

Putin on Friday held a meeting in the Kremlin with senior officers on the occasion of their appointment to senior positions and being awarded the title.

"Arsenal leading countries are developing and improving. On September summit NATO its leadership openly about the upcoming build military capabilities of the alliance. Instead of the collective, civilized solution of international problems in the course of increasing the power goes, economic, informational leverage," - said Putin.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

SaltyJesus posted:

My congratulations to Hungarian goons. I've seen it reported today that the internet tax proposal has been revoked.

Yep, our Great Leader announced it himself on the radio. While saying such amazing things as "people see a new tax in something thats only a technical modification", "discussion got off track", "people don't care what we say" and that people don't understand the simplicity of the whole thing, also that they are not communists.

He also announced that they will start a national consultation about the internet in January as "we have to know something about where the enormous extra profit on the internet goes".
And above all he said ISPs are against the tax because they are afraid they wont be able to push the tax onto their customers. :confused:

All in all it a was really smart move from them, which I have to be honest did not expect them to do. They realised that their opposition never had such a good reason to rally behind. I already had people telling me yesterday that they are ready to come on the next protest even tho they laughed at me last Sunday for going. So with revoking the internet tax, they made sure people have no unifying cause to protest against them, and my country will remain as poo poo as its been before, nothing changed. Is it a victory or a loss? I think neither. I've finally seen some hope that the people of this country can rise against the bullshit, but now I'm just more depressed.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 31, 2014

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Talking with fellow russians about Ukraine unleashes a torrent of retarded poo poo that can be rivaled only by talking with teabaggers about Palestine. Vatniks, vatniks everywhere.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RottenK posted:

Talking with fellow russians about Ukraine unleashes a torrent of retarded poo poo that can be rivaled only by talking with teabaggers about Palestine. Vatniks, vatniks everywhere.
Teabaggers?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

kalstrams posted:

Teabaggers?
Tea Party members in the US.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Teabaggers?

They don't like being called that now, but the truth is in the early days of their movement they called themselves that first, until they found out why the rest of us were snickering so much.

Now they consider it a slur and if you call them that they accuse you of using foul language. Then they go back to screaming about queers, niggers, Obola and so on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

The continued downturn in energy prices, primarily led by American production

That still isn't true dude.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oil prices are going down because Uranus is in the 7th House.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It looks like Russia is going to reduce their export of gas to Serbia by 28%.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

my dad posted:

That's weird. I don't think Serbia was reexporting to Ukraine?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Wasn't Serbia on their side anyway? Is this some new strategy to make more enemies for Russia?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something here because this looks like a retarded use of stick out of loving nowhere as a warning for Serbia to not do... what?!
I mean, are you guys being punished? For something you did? Something you are about to do? Is there a threat of worse implied? Why the Russian hostility for an ally? :psyduck:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 31, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MeLKoR posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something here because this looks like a retarded use of stick out of loving nowhere as a warning for Serbia to not do... what?!
I mean, are you guys being punished? For something you did? Something you are about to do? Is there a threat of worse implied? Why the Russian hostility for an ally? :psyduck:

Serbia is on a road to EU.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

Serbia is on a road to EU.

Yes but how is this in any way productive for Russia? You'd expect them to pamper the Serbs and try to use them as a trojan horse to grind poo poo in the EU to a halt anytime the two were in conflict. Like a seat in the Security Council of sorts.

Something that completely baffles me about the Russians is that on one hand they seem very competent at psy-ops disinformation poo poo which implies a good knowledge of their audience but then they seem completely unable to understand that people don't like to be bullied around by foreigners and that that'll only make them determined to tell you to gently caress off.

That they deal with their allies in the same way is the most incredible of all. They don't even try to pretend that an alliance with Russia is anything else other than vassalage, there isn't even a pretension that it's a relationship between equals it's straight out "do what we tell you or else :toughguy:" followed by "why does everyone hate us? :negative:"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

That still isn't true dude.

No man, it's down there, somewhere. It can maybe be brought up at a high cost! Problem solved forever!

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 31, 2014

3peat
May 6, 2010

A couple americans thanking their maker for not making them albanians http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e7e_1413818233
crowd chants "kill, slaughter, so albanians don't exist"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

No man, it's down there, somewhere. It can maybe be brought up at a high cost! Problem solved forever!

It isn't even that, oil prices dropped through the floor really only since July, basically if the US had done it they would have needed to immediately increase the its total supply by a massive amount in a short amount of time. Long-term trends are another matter, and they are probably way overoptimistic. Anyway, either way there are other explanations out there.

Granted, there are certain threads GF serious posts in like the Ebola one and others get kind of fucks around in.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 31, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Russia still thinks it hasn't made enough enemies: The chairman of the Green's parliamentary group in the European Parliament has been forbidden from travelling to Russia. Russia never told her, though. Until she arrived in Moscow, that is. Then they told her, making her entire trip completely pointless.

This is more then just a simple troll, by the way: She was supposed to observe a court session for the trial against the Ukrainian pilot Nadeschda Sawtschenko.

Said pilot is not only held by Russia now, Russia is actively trying to get her sentenced for murder.

Stuff like this is tailor-made to make everyone involved angry, especially the German establishment.

Edit:

Our foreign ministry is already throwing a poo poo fit.

2nd Edit:

Up to 26 Russian planes, including strategic bombers, have travelled around Europe to give us a little visit by now. North Sea, Black Sea, Baltic Sea, from Eastern Europe to Portugal, always meticulously staying above international waters. Enough intrusions, even some German fighters got a chance to intercept some Russians.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 31, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

3peat posted:

A couple americans thanking their maker for not making them albanians http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e7e_1413818233
crowd chants "kill, slaughter, so albanians don't exist"

I'm sure, since the two in question are African-Americans, they're not unacquainted with the concept of violently racist mobs, although there might be some novelty to seeing it flare up between two groups of people who appear more or less the same to an outsider's perspective.

Libluini posted:

Up to 26 Russian planes, including strategic bombers, have travelled around Europe to give us a little visit by now. North Sea, Black Sea, Baltic Sea, from Eastern Europe to Portugal, always meticulously staying above international waters. Enough intrusions, even some German fighters got a chance to intercept some Russians.

This is a familiar kind of threat-flex from the Cold War, but what's the usual reaction if one of those fighters were to get shot down? Say some NATO ally were to "jump the gun" when a Russian bomber refuses to identify itself or turn back and claims they thought they were under attack? Is there any precedent for that from the Cold War? I'd assume it wouldn't start everyone warming up their nuke silos but there'd probably be a lot of tension about retaliation.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 31, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
They are also going to try her for "illegally crossing the border" she was dragged over with a bag on hear head after being taken prisoner by Luhansk militants.
BTW, Lt. Savchenko is now an MP.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

El Scotch posted:

Oil prices are going down because Uranus is in the 7th House.

I literally loled and now I feel like an idiot.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MeLKoR posted:

Yes but how is this in any way productive for Russia? You'd expect them to pamper the Serbs and try to use them as a trojan horse to grind poo poo in the EU to a halt anytime the two were in conflict. Like a seat in the Security Council of sorts.

Something that completely baffles me about the Russians is that on one hand they seem very competent at psy-ops disinformation poo poo which implies a good knowledge of their audience but then they seem completely unable to understand that people don't like to be bullied around by foreigners and that that'll only make them determined to tell you to gently caress off.

That they deal with their allies in the same way is the most incredible of all. They don't even try to pretend that an alliance with Russia is anything else other than vassalage, there isn't even a pretension that it's a relationship between equals it's straight out "do what we tell you or else :toughguy:" followed by "why does everyone hate us? :negative:"

Please don't yell at me, I'm innocent! I know nothing!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MeLKoR posted:

That's how Russians treat each other, do you expect them to treat outsiders any better?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Russia's a fascistic tyranny and the most dangerous terrorist group of the modern age, yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill at this point.

I have to wonder what'll end up happening to Sawtschenko, though. Seems like something that you could make a really big stink over in the west, which could possibly help with her situation, but it's looking pretty hopeless.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It seems to me that putting a Ukrainian pilot on trial like that is inviting retribution in kind, though the Ukrainians may currently feel that putting separatists on trial isn't in their best interests.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems to me that putting a Ukrainian pilot on trial like that is inviting retribution in kind, though the Ukrainians may currently feel that putting separatists on trial isn't in their best interests.

It's a pretty egregious case of Russia lording their untouchableness over Ukraine, since if Ukraine were to capture Russian soldiers (as it has in the past, like with the paratroopers) then put them on trial and throw them in jail Russia would throw an ungodly shitfit. It might even become their casus belli for explicit invasion. They can do it to Ukraine though, with a deliberate "What are you going to do about it? Invade us?" tone.

When Russians wonder aloud why the world is so set against them and they don't seem to have any allies, it's because of even the little poo poo like this. It all piles up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

It's a pretty egregious case of Russia lording their untouchableness over Ukraine, since if Ukraine were to capture Russian soldiers (as it has in the past, like with the paratroopers) then put them on trial and throw them in jail Russia would throw an ungodly shitfit. It might even become their casus belli for explicit invasion. They can do it to Ukraine though, with a deliberate "What are you going to do about it? Invade us?" tone.

When Russians wonder aloud why the world is so set against them and they don't seem to have any allies, it's because of even the little poo poo like this. It all piles up.

It's nice of them though to give ample warning to China to better ally with us, because our stupidity is at least of the reliable sort.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Dolash posted:

This is a familiar kind of threat-flex from the Cold War, but what's the usual reaction if one of those fighters were to get shot down? Say some NATO ally were to "jump the gun" when a Russian bomber refuses to identify itself or turn back and claims they thought they were under attack? Is there any precedent for that from the Cold War? I'd assume it wouldn't start everyone warming up their nuke silos but there'd probably be a lot of tension about retaliation.

I can't think of this occurring with a bomber, but it happened with several civilian airliners:
KAl 902
KAL 007
IR 655

I'd speculate that the standing rules of engagement require an unambiguous demonstration of hostile intent (e.g. launching a missile) before the bomber could be engaged. Everyone's acutely aware that Russia is trying to provoke a disproportional response.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It isn't even that, oil prices dropped through the floor really only since July, basically if the US had done it they would have needed to immediately increase the its total supply by a massive amount in a short amount of time. Long-term trends are another matter, and they are probably way overoptimistic. Anyway, either way there are other explanations out there.

Granted, there are certain threads GF serious posts in like the Ebola one and others get kind of fucks around in.

Yeah, not disagreeing with you there. All the gullible big news are touting that ~Shale Revolution~ as the main contributor but of course it doesn't make any sense if you look at it.

One of the more obvious signs to look for to see if a source is full of poo poo is if they are touting Libyan claimed 900k barrels/day as gospel without any disclaimers.

The second one is if they do all their comparisons with the absolute summer driving season peak, just to make the % difference look bigger.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

It's nice of them though to give ample warning to China to better ally with us, because our stupidity is at least of the reliable sort.
Except China has similar "gently caress Western values" issues, but Putin can't bully them around - instead, he's more likely to be the one bullied after a while, and then he'll wish he saved glorious Russia in a different way than alienating Europe completely.

Interesting times and all that jazz...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orcane posted:

Except China has similar "gently caress Western values" issues, but Putin can't bully them around - instead, he's more likely to be the one bullied after a while, and then he'll wish he saved glorious Russia in a different way than alienating Europe completely.

Interesting times and all that jazz...

China already got a very favorable gas deal out of this.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TeodorMorozov posted:

Unfortunately, the experiment "The problem of population survival on Ukraine during winter with shortage of energy" (:skeltal:) will not be conducted ...

But on the other side, RF finally gets debt from Ukraine, that is not so bad. Moreover, this is EU money, that adds some charm to these gas agreements :)

When all your opinions are based on feelings of schadenfreude you really should reevaluate your principles.

I can conclude that your principles primarily consist of: Ukrainians should die because they don't want to be Russian. The EU has had to spend money which is good because then they have less money to spend on GAY AGENDA.

How does someone like you not just blow their head off? How do you not projectile vomit at your own utter wretchedness? Do you have any ideals that don't consist of: conquest, oppression, domination, deception? Any feelings about world peace? Cure for cancer? The future of humanity in general? Is that stuff too gay?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If the Russian economy gets wrecked by oil prices, what happens? How much of Putin's support comes down to Russia's economy and how much to Russia waving its dick around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, not disagreeing with you there. All the gullible big news are touting that ~Shale Revolution~ as the main contributor but of course it doesn't make any sense if you look at it.

One of the more obvious signs to look for to see if a source is full of poo poo is if they are touting Libyan claimed 900k barrels/day as gospel without any disclaimers.

The second one is if they do all their comparisons with the absolute summer driving season peak, just to make the % difference look bigger.

Actually I would place at least part of the price decline at the feet of the growth in shale oil plays. Only part though. Shale oil has more or less replaced lost production in Indonesia and other declining producers as well as meeting any demand growth. However the biggest culprit in my mind is the sudden decrease in demand. Oil speculators have been buying up oil for years and trying to hold it in offshore storage, betting oil will keep going up in price along with Chinese demand. However recently China has been reporting slower growth in oil usage as well as economic growth. My guess is that speculators realized that they had mad a bad bet and are trying to liquidate at least a portion of their holdings. That means additional supply in the market coupled with lowered demand at the same time as speculators no longer buy up today's production. If I remember correctly a 1% change in supply usually equates to about a 10% change in price.

• Locked thread