Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm pretty sure Rothfuss now writes full time. Regardless, saying a guy who worked on his book for over a decade is in the writing game for the money is ridiculous. I agree with Srice that good discussion doesn't have to be purely positive, but baseless trash talk is not good discussion.

I really liked Slow Regard of Silent Things. After reading it, I feel Rothfuss did not overdue his warnings in introduction at all. It is weird. It is nothing like the Kingkiller books. Given how fantasy fans can be waiting for the next installment of a series, I can see why he was borderline aggressive about making sure people would know what they were getting into before reading it. That said, I thought it was really good. A lot of lovely sentences, and Auri's intense personification of everything around her is endearing and tragic.

I liked having a POV character who actually knows what's what in the world. Kvothe tends to be ignorant of anything important going around him, but Auri knows what's up. She just has such a different perspective on the world that she doesn't care about most of things we'd care about.

I was surprised by just how skilled Auri is. An alchemist so good she had her own well stocked private workroom. And at the end, was that naming or shaping? The way it was described as forcing her desires on the world along with the fact that she didn't think some professor knew about it made me think shaping, but it naming is such a more obvious answer. We have only seen hints of shaping in the main books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I just bought the Kindle version of Slow Regard...I think people were seriously over-reacting about the "You may not want to buy this book" thing. Yeah, if you read that first line in a vacuum, it sounds weird, but that whole preface is just saying "1. You'll want to read NotW and WMF first, 2. This book is not a continuation of Kvothe's story, 3. This is not a traditional story"

I think Rothfuss deserves a bunch of praise for this; letting people know exactly what to expect and what not to in the introduction, rather than letting people get burned buying something that turns out to be not what they wanted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wittgen posted:

I was surprised by just how skilled Auri is. An alchemist so good she had her own well stocked private workroom.

So much of the University has fallen into ruin that I'd be more surprised if she didn't have access to a full lab somewhere. Her being so skilled at using it is somewhat surprising, but not the fact that she has one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

There are much better choices for people who enjoy purple prose, even within the fantasy genre. It is hard to admire him for the "And it was a silence of three parts," passage when there are authors like Mervyn Peake who are that lavishly descriptive on a consistent and cohesive basis. And that's without even getting into yer canonical Great Authors.

The fact that it's inconsistent might be attractive to some people. Creates contrast between the parts you're supposed to really notice and imagine and the parts you just breeze through as you process the story.

Reading that kind of prose consistently would get pretty tiring, regardless of if it's good or bad lavish prose.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It's ridiculous that this book is $10 for kindle when its not a book- it's a novella.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It just came out. Ten dollars for a brand new book, novel or novella, is not ridiculous. If you don't want to pay that, go to a library or wait.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's ridiculous that this book is $10 for kindle when its not a book- it's a novella.
I agree it's bit expensive, but it does have pretty good illustrations that probably push the price up too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Calidus posted:

well it sounds like we have a solution to getting the Door of Stone released faster...

The real solution is to stop letting Rothfuss take on so many drat side projects.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I don't mean to be a dick here, but I've heard a lot about how good Prince of Thorns is, and, well... I'm not seeing it. There were a ton of interesting ideas, but they're never even satisfyingly explored, let alone fully. Any depth has to come from the reader since it's all just sketched out in the story at best. There's a LOT of books I'd recommend before Prince of Thorns if you like/kind of like Abercrombie. For starters:

R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing
Richard K. Morgan - A Land Fit for Heroes
Glen Cook - The Black Company
Robin Hobb - At least the first two cycles, I've got two to go
Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle
Daniel Abraham - Just all of it
Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora (I think this is going to go to interesting places but right now it's mostly potential)
Kevin Hearne - The Iron Druid (this is at the bottom but goddamn it's a great palette cleanser between other series and I really enjoy reading it)

List is in very rough order of dark as gently caress and deep -> interesting and different -> occasionally gritty pulp that's fun to read. But honestly, Prince of Thorns didn't impress me at all, start to finish. And I didn't pick that turn of phrase to try to be a dick--I just wasn't impressed with how it started, with the body, and especially with how it ended, and only after a quick check did I realize that I used the exact same phrase as you. Maybe it was just in my head from reading your post. Anyway. Did not like. Thought it was shallow, nothing new, tried too hard to be dark, didn't justify character progression enough and still managed to change the main character way too much at the end. Which also pretty much came out of nowhere.
Sorry only catching up with the thread now. It's cool, no problem having a different opinion. I agree the story in Prince of Thorns had some holes but I think that was intentional. He's still writing in that universe. I disagree on jorg though, I thought his character arc was one of the highlights.

I really enjoyed Brett and lynch. The first black company trilogy was good but I thought the later stuff was a bit off the wall. Still, kudos to cook for trying something new. I'm still not sure how I feel about bakker. The last few books have meandered a bit but I'll probably stick with it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Wittgen posted:

I'm pretty sure Rothfuss now writes full time. Regardless, saying a guy who worked on his book for over a decade is in the writing game for the money is ridiculous. I agree with Srice that good discussion doesn't have to be purely positive, but baseless trash talk is not good discussion.

I really liked Slow Regard of Silent Things. After reading it, I feel Rothfuss did not overdue his warnings in introduction at all. It is weird. It is nothing like the Kingkiller books. Given how fantasy fans can be waiting for the next installment of a series, I can see why he was borderline aggressive about making sure people would know what they were getting into before reading it. That said, I thought it was really good. A lot of lovely sentences, and Auri's intense personification of everything around her is endearing and tragic.

I liked having a POV character who actually knows what's what in the world. Kvothe tends to be ignorant of anything important going around him, but Auri knows what's up. She just has such a different perspective on the world that she doesn't care about most of things we'd care about.

I was surprised by just how skilled Auri is. An alchemist so good she had her own well stocked private workroom. And at the end, was that naming or shaping? The way it was described as forcing her desires on the world along with the fact that she didn't think some professor knew about it made me think shaping, but it naming is such a more obvious answer. We have only seen hints of shaping in the main books.

Its her perspective on the world that's key, reading this I'm pretty convinced she's very similar to Elodin in a lot of ways. Its suggested that he can basically just see the true names of things and the way she interacts with things being desperate to find their nature and place seems similar to this, its also probably this that cracked her as it has Elodin. At the end I think we see naming used its full and most dangerous way albeit in a very harmless way. Though this could be what shaping actually is, if naming is understanding the nature of something completely as to control it then perhaps shaping is understanding everything completely and thus being able to shape the world.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

penultimate paragraph of Slow Regard of Silent Things posted:

But for him it was a different thing entire. For him she would bring forth all her desire. She would call up all her cunning and craft. Then she would make a name for him.

Another piece of the puzzle here, I think. Maybe Auri helped Kvothe keep his word.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Another piece of the puzzle here, I think. Maybe Auri helped Kvothe keep his word.

This didn't occur to me at first but I like it or she actually helps him become Kote and go into hiding she has offered him sanctuary already.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

StoneOfShame posted:

This didn't occur to me at first but I like it or she actually helps him become Kote and go into hiding she has offered him sanctuary already.

Auri is in the thrice-locked chest.

Effigy
Feb 26, 2004
There isn't anyone to help you. Only me. And I'm the Beast.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So we're all in agreement that Kvothe changed his real name and thats why he sucks at magic and everything now right?

There's a part in one of the books, can't recall now, after the fire at the fishery. The professor guy quotes something in his own language, which translated to 'Expect disaster every seven years'. One of the words was 'Kote'. Wouldn't be surprised if Kvothe changed his name to disaster, and that's why his poo poo's all hosed up now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Effigy posted:

There's a part in one of the books, can't recall now, after the fire at the fishery. The professor guy quotes something in his own language, which translated to 'Expect disaster every seven years'. One of the words was 'Kote'. Wouldn't be surprised if Kvothe changed his name to disaster, and that's why his poo poo's all hosed up now.

It's in The Name of the Wind, at page 495 (Chapter 67).

quote:

“Do you know the saying ‘Chan Vaen edan Kote’?”
I tried to puzzle it out. “Seven years…I don’t know Kote.”
“‘Expect disaster every seven years,’” he said.

Effigy
Feb 26, 2004
There isn't anyone to help you. Only me. And I'm the Beast.

ulmont posted:

It's in The Name of the Wind, at page 495 (Chapter 67).

Cheers, I'm on the other side of the world to my copies and couldn't look it up. The only reason I remembered was due to how much it struck me at the time.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

adamarama posted:

I really enjoyed Brett and lynch. The first black company trilogy was good but I thought the later stuff was a bit off the wall. Still, kudos to cook for trying something new.

Who doesn't love, uh, trans-dimensional Samurai warriors helping fantasy India stave off a sleeping death god who may or may not be the protagonists child? Also a revolving door of narrators because everyone keeps dying.*

... okay, they got really weird towards the end.

Frankly, Cook's much better than GRRM about having characters die/drop out of the narrative when they have to, often quite unceremoniously.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just re-reading the series, where I stumbled upon the bit with Meluan Lackless reminding Kvothe of someone, her hating Edema Ruh, and later in the book, Kvothe reads one of these letters stating that the elder Lackless sister was disowned for running off with a troupe.

Flipped through the first book, and I'm fairly certain that Kvothe's mother is the elder Lackless sister.

:aaaaa:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Odette posted:

Just re-reading the series, where I stumbled upon the bit with Meluan Lackless reminding Kvothe of someone, her hating Edema Ruh, and later in the book, Kvothe reads one of these letters stating that the elder Lackless sister was disowned for running off with a troupe.

Flipped through the first book, and I'm fairly certain that Kvothe's mother is the elder Lackless sister.

:aaaaa:

Yup

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Almost completely disagree. The time lines and locations differ to much to match.

However the descriptions of Meluan use the same adjectives and points of focus (neck, lips) as Denna. Hence, Netalia Lackless is Dennas mother

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

Almost completely disagree. The time lines and locations differ to much to match.

However the descriptions of Meluan use the same adjectives and points of focus (neck, lips) as Denna. Hence, Netalia Lackless is Dennas mother

Except you are forgetting the entire song about Netalia.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Slow Regard is killing me. I don't like to skim, but the first quarter has just been Auri looking at things on shelves. I'm going to force myself to finish it, but wow...Rothfuss really paid no regard to pacing. I'm so bored.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dienes posted:

Except you are forgetting the entire song about Netalia.

Not tally a lot less...

If that's not intentional, then I don't know.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

She also jumps him when he's little because he's singing that children's song, which manages to tie together a shitload of the mysteries Kvothe is associated with. Lackless, the door of stone, the secret roads.

quote:

Seven things has Lady Lackless
Keeps them underneath her black dress
One a ring that's not for wearing
One a sharp word, not for swearing
Right beside her husband's candle
There's a door without a handle
In a box, no lid or locks
Lackless keeps her husband's rocks
There's a secret she's been keeping
She's been dreaming and not sleeping
On a road that's not for traveling
Lackless likes her riddle raveling.

Another thing I noticed: When Kvothe is getting the history on the Lackless family, the poisoner/arcanist guy says something about how the family used to be Lockless and then it split and there were Lackless and Lack-key. I keep wondering if there's something about how the family went from being without a lock(Lockless) to being without a key(Lack-key).

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

quote:

In a box, no lid or locks
Lackless keeps her husband's rocks

Oh my. :vince:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is Rothfuss' third stand-alone release, after smash hit The Name of the Wind (tight prose, decent story, bit of a mary sue protag), and its follow up Wise Man's Fear(so-so prose, terrible story, full blown mary sue protag), which also sold like gangbusters.

It is easily the worst thing I have ever read.

I'm not saying this lightly. It soundly beats Peter David's (aka David Peter) Psi-man:Deathscape as the most painful piece of writing I've endured. Part of what makes it so, so bad is that it thinks very highly of itself. Condescension oozes from of every line.

The foreword warns readers that this book is not like his other books, and that only special people who "love words and mysteries and secrets. For those curious about Alchemy and the Underthing. For those who wish to understand the hidden turnings of my world..."

This is emperor's new clothes-esque appeal is the most compelling thing in the book.

The other 156 pages are entirely ENTIRELY composed of stuff that should be cut from any other story. Chapter 1-5 is this:

Chapter 1 Auri gets out of bed and combs her hair
Chater 2 Auri takes a walk and then a bath
Chapter 3 Auri eats
Chapter 4 Auri does home repairs
Chapter 5 Auri picks out a gift and goes for another walk

There is nothing else. Rothfuss tries to carry it on prose alone, and he just isn't that talented. No one is. And it doesn't get any better from there.

There's no dialog. No plot. I cannot stress this enough. I'm completely and utterly dumbfounded that its possible to write for 156 pages and not say or do anything. Not to mention get it published afterwords.

If you want to read 156 pages of character actions, this is the book for you--opening doors, picking stuff up and putting it in other places, long walks and vague descriptions of pipes and poorly lit passageways. Twee observations about found objects and the anthropomorphization of those objects by the most infuriatingly twee protagonist of all time.

I thought I was just having a bad reaction to the book, so I sat on my feelings for awhile before writing this. Maybe I have a case of hype-backlash? But no.

The only faster nose-dive in quality and career trajectory has been Peter V. Brett's. If this is representative of Rothfuss' current quality standard, I expect his next book to leave a crater.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Double-posted for accidental emphasis.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I haven't read The Slow Regard, but I found myself getting frustrated with Rothfuss and his obsessive over-description of every single thing that happens in a scene, every word spoken and every action made, which is made all the more ludicrous by it nominally being a framing story told from person to person. He seems to have a stubborn reluctance to zoom out and describe anything at a larger scale. There's a scene in the first book where Kvothe haggles with a horse dealer to buy a horse and it could easily have been a sentence or two about how he bought a horse and rode to Treybin. I really wanted him to work on his pace and know when to leave the little details alone, but then I realised that if he did that there would be nothing left of the book. His writing is almost entirely comprised of minutiae. So it sounds like he's going totally the wrong way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boing posted:

There's a scene in the first book where Kvothe haggles with a horse dealer to buy a horse and it could easily have been a sentence or two about how he bought a horse and rode to Treybin.
That scene was great because Kvothe got fleeced after making it clear several times how confident he was in his ability to size up a horse. Also it hints at his innate naming ability when he gives the horse the name "one sock" without even realizing it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BananaNutkins posted:

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is Rothfuss' third stand-alone release, after smash hit The Name of the Wind (tight prose, decent story, bit of a mary sue protag), and its follow up Wise Man's Fear(so-so prose, terrible story, full blown mary sue protag), which also sold like gangbusters.

It is easily the worst thing I have ever read.

I'm not saying this lightly. It soundly beats Peter David's (aka David Peter) Psi-man:Deathscape as the most painful piece of writing I've endured. Part of what makes it so, so bad is that it thinks very highly of itself. Condescension oozes from of every line.

The foreword warns readers that this book is not like his other books, and that only special people who "love words and mysteries and secrets. For those curious about Alchemy and the Underthing. For those who wish to understand the hidden turnings of my world..."

This is emperor's new clothes-esque appeal is the most compelling thing in the book.

The other 156 pages are entirely ENTIRELY composed of stuff that should be cut from any other story. Chapter 1-5 is this:

Chapter 1 Auri gets out of bed and combs her hair
Chater 2 Auri takes a walk and then a bath
Chapter 3 Auri eats
Chapter 4 Auri does home repairs
Chapter 5 Auri picks out a gift and goes for another walk

There is nothing else. Rothfuss tries to carry it on prose alone, and he just isn't that talented. No one is. And it doesn't get any better from there.

There's no dialog. No plot. I cannot stress this enough. I'm completely and utterly dumbfounded that its possible to write for 156 pages and not say or do anything. Not to mention get it published afterwords.

If you want to read 156 pages of character actions, this is the book for you--opening doors, picking stuff up and putting it in other places, long walks and vague descriptions of pipes and poorly lit passageways. Twee observations about found objects and the anthropomorphization of those objects by the most infuriatingly twee protagonist of all time.

I thought I was just having a bad reaction to the book, so I sat on my feelings for awhile before writing this. Maybe I have a case of hype-backlash? But no.

The only faster nose-dive in quality and career trajectory has been Peter V. Brett's. If this is representative of Rothfuss' current quality standard, I expect his next book to leave a crater.

I had similar issues with 'nothing happening' in Slow Regard...but that's kinda the point of Auri's character. I took the "You may not want to buy this book" at face value. The story isn't for everyone. It focuses on a character who quite obviously has some kind of magically-induced brain damage and has a very unique worldview and day to day routine. I found it fascinating to read even if I plan on never revisiting it for a re-read.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I for one, love Pat's writing. I'm currently on my third re-read of the series in as many weeks.

Definitely gonna stop after this re-read, otherwise I'm gonna have the book stuck in my head forever.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

The way you describe it makes it sound like it should have been released as a text based pc game instead of as a novel.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boing posted:

I haven't read The Slow Regard, but I found myself getting frustrated with Rothfuss and his obsessive over-description of every single thing that happens in a scene, every word spoken and every action made, which is made all the more ludicrous by it nominally being a framing story told from person to person. He seems to have a stubborn reluctance to zoom out and describe anything at a larger scale. There's a scene in the first book where Kvothe haggles with a horse dealer to buy a horse and it could easily have been a sentence or two about how he bought a horse and rode to Treybin. I really wanted him to work on his pace and know when to leave the little details alone, but then I realised that if he did that there would be nothing left of the book. His writing is almost entirely comprised of minutiae. So it sounds like he's going totally the wrong way.

My favorite part is the framing story has it taking place over a night but the audio book is 50 hours long. Either he talks really fast or those are some drat long nights.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boing posted:

Thats not fair. Remember, he skipped over a trial that launched Kvothe into modern myth, a pirate attack at sea, surviving a ship wreck, etc.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

savinhill posted:

The way you describe it makes it sound like it should have been released as a text based pc game instead of as a novel.

It would be a terrible game as well, because there would be no goals, no enemies, no choices, and no character development. The environment descriptions are consistantly dull throughout. Auri says she's passing through Tumble or whatnot and then the next named place, maybe pausing to describe a dripping pipe or a leaf she named, then a few paragraphs pondering whether the leaf wants to be on the other side of Tumble. Then moving the leaf and placing it infuriatingly JUST SO before deciding the leaf liked it better where it used to be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats not fair. Remember, he skipped over a trial that launched Kvothe into modern myth, a pirate attack at sea, surviving a ship wreck, etc.

Those are the parts that actually bother me. Rothfuss has spent so long telling Kvothe's tales of being a pretty awesome wizard. Then he goes and tells his audience that some other adventures happen but we'll just skip over it. Those parts feel even lazier to me then all the filler he adds. Why did it have to be shipwreck and being homeless? Why couldn't it just have been a simple trip where he wound up being robbed? Lets throw in this terrible event that would have been an awful tragedy to most people but its just another footnote of Kvothe's life.

But if you put it in the frame of Kvothe as a lier then it would have worked if he did only get robbed but he's just adding in details to sound more badass to his future audience.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Why did it have to be shipwreck and being homeless? Why couldn't it just have been a simple trip where he wound up being robbed? Lets throw in this terrible event that would have been an awful tragedy to most people but its just another footnote of Kvothe's life.

That's what still sticks with me as "proof" that Rothfuss has some kind of Scott Pilgrim style last minute statement about "why do you like this" planned. Like, he's covered enough things to come across as a flawed hero, but clearly this was a moment in his life where he was inarguably the best, and he skipped it like it was nothing. There's SOMETHING going on here, and I'm riding it out to find out what.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Yeah, you missed a lot.

e: I mean seriously, it's like you read a book that you were warned you wouldn't like if you're not into conventional stories and then were shocked when it wasn't conventionally entertaining.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It was a pretty great book. The thing is that it was basically the first and last chapters of the main books cranked up to 11 and with nothing else. If you don't like his "cut flower sound" kind of prose, where the words are pretty but the meaning is vague to non-existent, you're going to hate Slow Regard of Silent Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wish books had change logs. My digital copy of NotW just updated but I have no clue what changed. I thought that maybe they stuck a mention of The Slow Regard of Silent Things in the back, but nope.

• Locked thread