Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Ha, I knew you can get through the whole section without fighting Dr. Salvador by not running into the house because I actually did that. Didn't know that though.

He appears when you go into that house and also when you run up the path to one of the exits. Best way to deal with him is go to the roof of the big house and theres a platform you can stand where only one ganado at a time can reach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's the best version if the game if you have a beefy computer but it's also unplayable if you don't exceed the recommended specs.

I've heard horror stories. Apparently it is hilariously unoptimized and runs like poo poo unless you have a monster of a computer.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

He appears when you go into that house and also when you run up the path to one of the exits. Best way to deal with him is go to the roof of the big house and theres a platform you can stand where only one ganado at a time can reach you.
Huh, my strategy was to run into the small house right across from the house, because all the enemies had to be funneled through one door. You couldn't do that in Mercenaries because they added a window into the room.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

I've heard horror stories. Apparently it is hilariously unoptimized and runs like poo poo unless you have a monster of a computer.

Yup, that happened to me. I get maybe 20fps and constant stuttering so I guess I won't be playing it until I rebuild my machine.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yup, that happened to me. I get maybe 20fps and constant stuttering so I guess I won't be playing it until I rebuild my machine.

I had to get a new rig. Pretty much all the new games from here on out were gonna need more than I had, so why not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Humble Weekly Bundle dropped. Got some good spooky games. Betrayer, Knock-knock, Five Nights at Freddy's. Also has Home, Vertical Drop Heroes (plus Halloween DLC), and for $15 you get Among the Sleep.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

catlord posted:

Humble Weekly Bundle dropped. Got some good spooky games. Betrayer, Knock-knock, Five Nights at Freddy's. Also has Home, Vertical Drop Heroes (plus Halloween DLC), and for $15 you get Among the Sleep.
Oh nice, grabbing that one even though I have a couple of them already.

Also a reminder that most of the games discussed in the awesome writeups people have been doing are on sale on Steam now as well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh hey, The Evil Within has a Steam demo now where you can play the first three levels. Time to see how well it runs on my system!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And just in case someone hasn't heard, they patched in both 60fps and black bars toggles

E: Happy Halloween ya'll!

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird Games days 1-4
Weird Games days 5-8
Weird Games days 9-12
Weird Games days 13-16
Weird Games days 17-18
Weird Games days 19-21
Weird Games days 21-24
Weird Games days 25-27

Alright, let's finish this month off.

28. The Lurking Horror

By 1987 Infocom established itselfas the leading developer of text adventures and IMO The Lurking Horror is not only their best one (next to A Mind Forever Voyaging) but it's also criminally underrated among their catalog. You play as an engineering student who treks to the computer lab to finish a paper during a big snowstorm. In true horror fashion everything starts mundane and quickly goes to hell. Among the feelies that come with the box is a student's guide and a rubber centipede-like bug which wasn't advertised in the box.

Being grounded in a mundane atmosphere lends to the creepy ambiance of the game. There's a few NPCs you can interact with, particularly a fellow hacker who interacts with you in a realistic fashion. The halls are empty, ambient noise echoes through the grounds, the paths are iced over, and remaining outside too long results in hypothermia. Infocom writes a powerful horror story that doesn't sacrifice any of their black humor.

29. Saw and Saw 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdkmgA-yOc

The first Saw was a low budget psychological thriller and I kind of liked it. Then the sequels tried to one-up each other and turned into a silly deathtrap dungeon that played out more like The Running Man: Horror Edition than the cerebral, mostly one-room thriller of the original. But that disparity works so, so well in video game form and that's what the video game ends up being.

In short, it's a generic survival horror game wrapped around puzzles straight from the movie... which usually involves reaching your arm into places you don't want to dig through. Jigsaw taunts you throughout the game and is the star of the show. Occasionally some nut in a metal contraption attacks you but for the most part you're collecting documents that expand the story while following the breadcrumbs to the next set piece. Even if you don't give a poo poo about the films I have to recommend these games based on the premise alone.

30. The Ring: Terror's Realm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FM1fGchx4g

Oh boy, let's really dive into the crap. You're some woman, whose name completely escapes me and I don't feel like referencing my notes, whose boyfriend is killed in the same desiccated way as the books/movies. Somehow you get free access to his office at the medical facility he works at. Booting up the last program he activated, Ring, you pass out and are mysteriously transported to a dark as hell horror world populated with monsters and faceless NPCs. I can't make heads or tails of this game other than it being a terrible Resident Evil clone with bad acting.

This game isn't so-bad-it's-funny, it's just bad. I don't know how you make a product like this, sit back and think to yourself "Hmm, yeah, this is something I'm proud to attach my name on."

31. Scooby-Doo Mystery (Genesis)

Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you? Right here, on the Genesis. The SNES version of the same game is a lovely platformer but the Genesis version is a rip off of LucasArts adventure games right down to SCUMM-like inventory. This is an adventure game, make no mistake, and a decent one at that. Presenting itself as two episodes of Scooby-Doo, you play as Scooby and scared burnout Shaggy as they solve puzzles and capture masked villains. There's not much more than that to say...

...Nah, I'm not ending it there. No, I'm playing games from the original master of weird: Kenji Eno and the D series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7G1NuWciEE

The first D is a Myst-like FMV adventure set in a creepy hospital. You're Laura and your father just murdered everyone in the hospital. You enter to talk down your father and poo poo goes down. I'm not even going to talk about the story because the game is best played. It's about 2 hours long (and timed, you lose after those 2 hours) and you can't pause so take it in like a movie. This was a relatively early Playstation release and caught a lot of media attention for being a horror themed, cinematic adventure.

Kenji Eno wasn't pleased with Sony's handling of D. When he announced his next game, Enemy Zero, he publicly ousted Sony by announcing the game as a Saturn exclusive. Enemy Zero follows the same digital actress, Laura, on board a spaceship overrun with invisible aliens. Being invisible, you have to listen to a motion tracker to determine how close the aliens are to you. Your gun is basically a short ranged stun gun so misjudging distance results in your instant death if the aliens touch you. It's not as difficult as it sounds as the aliens move rather slowly, but your gun has a slow recharge and saving uses up a finite amount of power. The Alien inspiration is heavy what with the female leads taking on the aliens themselves and there's even a black character named Parker because why not?

After a failed sequel on the 3DO (starring digital actress Laura's stun), D2 was released on Dreamcast. This is one of Eno's more traditional games, once again starring Laura. D2 is best described as Parasite Eve meets Resident Evil Dead Aim. You navigate the environments from a third person with random encounters that launch you into first person. There's a unique hunting mechanic where wild game can be cooked in a portable grill for health. Conceptually this is the weakest games; it's overly long and wordy with lots of focus on the ancillary characters. But it's also the easiest to play and if you pick up any of these games I recommend this one above the others.

Kenji Eno passed away last year. He was the first video game celebrity I remember reading back in EGM and GameFan. He hadn't really made anything mainstream since D2 but he's missed.

And that's all, folks. I set out to play games that I thought tried to go in unique routes. Some of the games are bad, most are flawed, but they're all interesting their own unique ways.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Fantastic write-ups, al-azad! You hit on a bunch of stuff I've never heard of and I'm looking forward to learning more about. It's cool you mentioned the Saw games... I got to work on those a bit during my time at Konami, and thought they were pretty neat from what I saw of them.

I mentioned there were two games I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned. One was Theresia, and the other is Sweet Home.

I only know this one through the excellent Let's Play I've linked there, but it's a very interesting piece of horror game history. Based on a movie of the same name and released only in Japan in 1989, Sweet Home is perhaps the first real survival horror game. You lead a party of researchers through a haunted mansion, battling monsters and collecting items needed to conquer the evil residing there. Though it plays more like a spooky Dragon Quest, Sweet Home served as the inspiration for the first Resident Evil. There's (obviously) a translated ROM floating around, but the LP does a fantastic job of showing off the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I recommend playing the game before seeing the movie as they both spoil each other but the game is so interesting you should play it first. It's also really playable for an NES RPG. Random battles are rare, combat is on the easy side, and it's not terribly long.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Neverending Nightmares is on sale for $11.25, it's gotten flack for its short length and lack of traditional gameplay but I love it, it's the most unique horror game I've played in a long while.

I watched some of that game, it just seemed like walking endlessly while occasionally running from monsters that look like Edward Gorey's unpaid intern drew them. The darkness and shadow effects look really drat cool though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Worldwide Panther posted:

I watched some of that game, it just seemed like walking endlessly while occasionally running from monsters that look like Edward Gorey's unpaid intern drew them. The darkness and shadow effects look really drat cool though.
I don't know; to me it was a super dull romp through generic scares and forced game play (hooray for stealth!) in a walking simulator type game. I'm sure the guy meant for it to be some introspective passion project and maybe works better for people with the same disorders/depression the creator has, but for me it was just very rudimentary jump scares and boring repetitive rooms.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; to me it was a super dull romp through generic scares and forced game play (hooray for stealth!) in a walking simulator type game. I'm sure the guy meant for it to be some introspective passion project and maybe works better for people with the same disorders/depression the creator has, but for me it was just very rudimentary jump scares and boring repetitive rooms.

Same, I can appreciate the artwork and design, but it would've made a much better point and click adventure game. Some of the chapter transitions are well worth watching though.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Neverending Nightmares is about twice as long as it needs to be.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

dijon du jour posted:

Neverending Nightmares is about twice as long as it needs to be.

So it lives up to the title, then?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Well, just bought Anna and Soul Suspect. I suspect (heh) the latter is worth at least the $13 sale price, especially as a watchable game for my friends and I to play on our Thursday nights, but I guess I'll find out!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So apparently Denis Dyack is trying Shadow of the Eternals again, with a new company called Quantum Entanglement Entertainment (because I guess Precursor Games' reputation was too tarnished?) and I guess it's supposed to be company that does Video Games, TV and movies, and that the company is going to work to converge them and allow fans to influence things, which strikes me as a little odd considering Dyack's notoriously dictatorial rule over Silicone Knights.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

catlord posted:

So apparently Denis Dyack is trying Shadow of the Eternals again, with a new company called Quantum Entanglement Entertainment (because I guess Precursor Games' reputation was too tarnished?) and I guess it's supposed to be company that does Video Games, TV and movies, and that the company is going to work to converge them and allow fans to influence things, which strikes me as a little odd considering Dyack's notoriously dictatorial rule over Silicone Knights.

It sucks so much the IP for one of the best horror games ever is owned by a loving moron.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It sucks so much the IP for one of the best horror games ever is owned by a loving moron.
No its not, Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness. Now if only they could get Retro to make a sequel...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

No its not, Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness. Now if only they could get Retro to make a sequel...

Oh whew. Still, it's Nintendo so I really don't think they're ever gonna do anything with it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So Silent Hill 4 isn't on the PSN store, is it? Wikipedia claimed it was and I got all excited, but it looks like it's not there. :(

I never got to play it, and even though a bunch of people hate it, I'd love a chance to try it out for myself some day. I mean I managed to force myself through Homecoming (and even enjoyed a few parts of it), so it can't be any worse than that, right?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So Silent Hill 4 isn't on the PSN store, is it? Wikipedia claimed it was and I got all excited, but it looks like it's not there. :(

I never got to play it, and even though a bunch of people hate it, I'd love a chance to try it out for myself some day. I mean I managed to force myself through Homecoming (and even enjoyed a few parts of it), so it can't be any worse than that, right?
You could always play the PC version. Works fine on modern OS' and isn't too difficult to find.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Sharzak posted:

I'm real irritated The Void and Knock-Knock aren't included in the spooky sale. I already own Knock-Knock but more people need to play it and I wanted to get my hands on the Void.

Knock-Knock is free on the Amazon App Store, because there's no better way to play scary games than on a tiny screen.

My :skeltal:Halloween Backlog Spooktacular!:skeltal: got derailed because of schoolwork, so I'll have to end it with Dead Space 3.

Week 1: Deadly Premonition

Week 2: The Walking Dead, Season 1

Week 3+4: Dead Space 3

I love the Dead Space series, but Dead Space 3 got somewhat mediocre reviews, so I didn't pick it up until it was free on Playstation Plus. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, and I think that it's better than the second one. One of the best things about DS3 is the weapon system. The second game's new weapons were somewhat underwhelming, so I stuck to what I'd used in the first game. I had a lot of fun in DS3 just trying out new combinations and seeing what worked (my favorite was a force gun/ripper with a stasis coating, good for locking down necromorphs). The in game purchase are unobtrusive, and they give you access to a in-game currency to buy the real money item packs. The optional missions were a nice touch, though they felt a little samey after a while. My only real complaint is the introduction of human enemies, as this game doesn't work well as a cover based shooter. All in all, it's a really good game, and it's too bad we'll probably not see another game in the series.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Niggurath posted:

You could always play the PC version. Works fine on modern OS' and isn't too difficult to find.

I'm guessing you mean a physical copy, right? It's not on Steam, Gog, or GMG, which I'm assuming means it isn't available digitally.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 1, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

The textures are poo poo. Upscaling on pcsx2 would be the best bet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

As yes because a convergence of video game, TV, and film has worked for any company or property ever I'm sure Successful Game Developer Denis Dyack will pull it off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

As yes because a convergence of video game, TV, and film has worked for any company or property ever I'm sure Successful Game Developer Denis Dyack will pull it off.

Somehow Defiance is still making money, both the MMO and TV show so go figure.

I don't know what Remedy is doing with Quantum Break, I'm just going to assume they're not going with the TV show after Microsoft axed, what, a thousand employees from their entertainment division?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Somehow Defiance is still making money, both the MMO and TV show so go figure.

I don't know what Remedy is doing with Quantum Break, I'm just going to assume they're not going with the TV show after Microsoft axed, what, a thousand employees from their entertainment division?

Didn't they completely shut down that division? Other than whoever is working on that halo thing and bleeding that rock dry.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I completely forgot about Defiance.

I still don't think Dyack can do it. Remember all that Matrix crap?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The only Defiance I care about is the final Legacy of Kain game, so gently caress him, whoever he is.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yodzilla posted:

I completely forgot about Defiance.

I still don't think Dyack can do it. Remember all that Matrix crap?

To be fair, the story may have been different, had the Wachowskis not been screwed out of their original vision for the trilogy. Considering how badly Dyack mismanaged Silicon Knights, especially after Too Human and X-Men: Destiny (the latter having aspects of outright fraud in its production), I'll be amazed if he can find anyone to give him money without demanding extreme oversight on every last detail.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Niggurath posted:

This provided you're in Europe, where the game is cheap and plentiful. Everywhere else the PC version is way overpriced and in short supply.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gann Jerrod posted:

Knock-Knock is free on the Amazon App Store, because there's no better way to play scary games than on a tiny screen.

My :skeltal:Halloween Backlog Spooktacular!:skeltal: got derailed because of schoolwork, so I'll have to end it with Dead Space 3.

Week 1: Deadly Premonition

Week 2: The Walking Dead, Season 1

Week 3+4: Dead Space 3

I love the Dead Space series, but Dead Space 3 got somewhat mediocre reviews, so I didn't pick it up until it was free on Playstation Plus. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, and I think that it's better than the second one. One of the best things about DS3 is the weapon system. The second game's new weapons were somewhat underwhelming, so I stuck to what I'd used in the first game. I had a lot of fun in DS3 just trying out new combinations and seeing what worked (my favorite was a force gun/ripper with a stasis coating, good for locking down necromorphs). The in game purchase are unobtrusive, and they give you access to a in-game currency to buy the real money item packs. The optional missions were a nice touch, though they felt a little samey after a while. My only real complaint is the introduction of human enemies, as this game doesn't work well as a cover based shooter. All in all, it's a really good game, and it's too bad we'll probably not see another game in the series.

The human enemies didn't really bother me as they went down in seconds to a single shot from anything, and yea the weapon pack thing was neat, one thing I liked is that whatever pack you bought will given to you again upon any replays, so you can start a fresh game with a bunch of materials.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Outlast: Whistleblower. Kinda neat but not really spooky other than a number of jump scares. Since after playing the original game you know absolutely everything there is to the story and the setting there's nothing left but jump scares since the actual inmates and Walrider are more goofy than menacing. I mean it's a loving Super Ghost.

I really hope they add more mechanics to Outlast 2. Make the camera be more than just night vision goggles. Give the player some ability to do anything other than run and hide. Get away from the story of the original. Something, just mix it up.

e: oh and gently caress that buzzsaw guy. that entire section was tedious and terrible because having an enemy you can't fight against just teleport to every new area you go into is the most contrived bullshit ever

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 1, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Just play Alien: Isolation instead. Same concept, better in just about every regard.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I am pretty fond of Dead Space 3. I like how Isaac's gotten to the point of just getting pissed at familiar enemies because he's killed hundreds of slashers by this point.

People being mad at universal ammo in a game with that many possible weapons also confuse me, but the contact beam is a good argument for it being poorly implemented. You usually make a profit on ammo using it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ovaries posted:

Just play Alien: Isolation instead. Same concept, better in just about every regard.

It's definitely next on my list once I get some actual time to play games. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Idea for a game: you're that idiot in a horror movie with the camcorder but while surviving you also have to get the best shots ever. Decapitations, torture scenes, baby slugs hatching out of someone's head, it's all good. Everything happens in real time and you can miss stuff for added replay value. Just don't trip and drop your camera like the dumbass you always are.

Now someone give me a million dollars.