Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Cheap out on shoulder pads, pants and helmets. Most mens leagues are no contact but it might happen occasionally by accident. Helmets are all protective and will do their job no matter the price. Pants are pants and they will all have some hip, kidney, tailbone and thigh protection no matter the level. Nicer pants have more protection and might be lighter but pants last forever as do shoulder pads. Easton seemed to have the most protective pants at lower levels from my shopping experience. Shoulder pads don't need to be pro level if you're not in a full contact league. They are basically there to protect your shoulders from falls, occasional incidental contact, shots, and slashes. Half the guys I play with are still using the fabric Sher woods. Everyone else is using bottom level bauer or ccms with minimal padding.

Gloves are disposable. They wear out and get ridiculously gross over time. If you develop a hole in the palms just stitch them shut with some floss for a while to prolong their life. Replace them when it gets out of hand. Cheap gloves are fine for newbies. You probably won't really appreciate the differences between a $50 glove and a $150 glove.

I don't see a huge reason to splurge on elbow pads. Maybe avoid the cheapest ones but you don't need pro level elbow pads either. They should have a plastic cap (might be under the material) and decent padding as well as something to protect a portion of your forearms.

With shin guards I disagree. I like to go mid tier or above as your shin guards probably see the most abuse of all your gear. You get slashed, hit by pucks, and fall on your knees. I've broken the knee cap of a shin guard before simply by being tripped. Look for something with some sort of side to calf protection. I also like removable padding so that you can toss it in the washing machine every now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Madbullogna posted:

Stupid question time --

Since I'll be in my initial Learn to Skate segment prior to moving into the Learn to Hockey segment, I am holding off on buying any other gear until I make that transition, (just have my starter helmet and skates for now).

I was just going to wear a shirt with a hoodie/sweatshirt over that, but what about pants? I wear relaxed-fit jeans, but I'm reading that jeans are generally no bueno, not just for movement restriction, but for moisture retention as well. I 'think' I have a pair of regular dockers style pants buried in the closet somewhere, or I could pick up a pair of

I learned to skate less than a year ago, here's my definitive opinion:

Bake your skates, duh. That makes the inside padded conform to YOUR weird juts of bone. Your skates will still be hard to get laced for about 20 attempts, and they'll make your feet sore for 10 skates till they fully wear in

Buy knee pads, cost doesn't matter till you're out of rookie league, but YOU WANT THEM FOR LEARN TO SKATE oh and also

DONT WEAR JEANS, unless you get knee pads, the jeans will gently caress your kneecaps up. In my 4th lesson or so they were stuck to my knees with blood by the time I got home. Granted practice for me means testing my limits so I fall a lot, you might be more cautious. In that case stop being so scared and go for it! You'll only get better if you try hard.

I don't make a lot of money but I bought gear that FIT, that was my only concern, if it fits and going cheaper doesn't fit, suck it up and pay.

Oh last thing, I never hit my elbows falling in learn to skate, and no one else did either. It's all wrists and knees, so wear hockey gloves if you want (I loved the fit on the mako m3's, they were 50 bucks, everything else, even the 200 dollar stuff felt strange. Try EVERYTHING and take a cheap stick from the rack over to the glove wall to get a feel for the bend in the fingers) if you have wrist guards or ski/snow gloves they work till you get proper stuff. Just don't break your wrist dude/dudette, they never heal to 100%

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

neck guard

what

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Edit**

Its that thing that kids wear by law of the rink in most places.

It gets soggy and droops below the neck in most cases after 5 minutes of sweat.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I don't get all the jeans hate? I wouldn't wear them in a hockey game, but why be picky for learn to skate class, public skate, etc.? I used to wear them skating out on the river when I was a kid and they didn't give me frostbite or break my knees or anything.

I did know a guy here who would go to public skates in cargo shorts and shin pads. That was a unique look.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Maybe my cheap rear end wranglers are more stiff than the jeans you guys wear.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Madbullogna posted:

Good to know. Even if it's dirt-cheap crap, it sounds like it will get me everything I need while I'm still wet behind the ears.

I figure as I get comfortable and learn what works and doesn't work for me, I can slowly upgrade individual items over time. And if I can't get something at the rink shop, it's a good excuse to take a weekend drive up north to the DFW area & visit HockeyGiant, PlayersBench, and/or HockeyWorld while I'm there. I have a feeling it's a good thing the CenTex area doesn't have any mega LHSs, (well, any LHSs for that matter), or I would spend way too much money way to soon on things that wouldn't benefit me at the baby stages.

There's no need to drive up to Dallas to go a shop. Just order poo poo online or via eBay. The size of stuff you get initially will help you determine your sizing.

Also get stuff on clearance and wait for sales. I know you're one to jump into things with 2 feet but seriously clearance stuff / last years model / lightly used stuff is all still great.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
I actually tried really hard to find my skates as leftover/clearance, but I guess the timing was off. Everything seemed to be either a 7, or a 10, haha. There were a few vendors that had the older Bauer one.9 LE (the grey & white ones), and I probably could have lived with standing out color scheme, but I couldn't justify the ~80 additional over the 170s. I figure what I have fit and should last me many years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skates are hard to find on clearance, especially this time of year. Old pads are always hanging on the shelves though.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I gotta ask - any tips on how to improve/train/practice on backwards crossovers? I mean, I can do them in a "yes, that is theoretically a backwards crossover" sort of way, but with zero power or form to them and I'm still way too tentative. I'm scared the answer is gonna be "commit to the crossover" because it hurts falling twisty-backwards and my poor bones doth protest too much.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Maybe a goon is selling his old skates that magically happen to be your size. That's how I got my current skates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stickarts posted:

I gotta ask - any tips on how to improve/train/practice on backwards crossovers? I mean, I can do them in a "yes, that is theoretically a backwards crossover" sort of way, but with zero power or form to them and I'm still way too tentative. I'm scared the answer is gonna be "commit to the crossover" because it hurts falling twisty-backwards and my poor bones doth protest too much.

One thing I've been doing about ten minutes each skate is backwards one foot glides, both inside and outside edges, working towards doing 180 degree arcs. It feels loving weird because it's something you will never normally do, but it's had a big impact on how comfortable I feel doing backwards crossovers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockles posted:

Maybe a goon is selling his old skates that magically happen to be your size. That's how I got my current skates.

How those skates doing?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There is no better goal to be a part of in any capacity than a deflection goal. Come at me.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Stickarts posted:

Sit back like you're having a poo poo.

I'm not kidding - when you're skating backwards your center of gravity needs to be much lower to engage the muscles in the backs of your thighs for the push/pull movement. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

sellouts posted:

There is no better goal to be a part of in any capacity than a deflection goal. Come at me.

Agreed, deflecting a slapshot from the point just perfectly makes hockey lizard brain very happy.

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

Scoring deflection goals is awesome, except when you're trying to box an opposing player out of your crease and a slapshot hits your stick and deflects into your own goal...which has unfortunately happened to me very recently :(

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Remember how I said I took a puck off my ankle on Monday?

Last night I tried to play kickball, in the warmups I accidentally hit a ball with my hurt (left) ankle. Played the game, getting 2 hits with my right foot and generally feeling ok.

After the game I took my socks off and saw this:

Sooo, I guess the ankle is still tender. Though surprisingly it doesn't hurt this morning so I may be able to play in net on Sunday and back as a forward on Monday.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i didnt get my skates baked that i bought around christmas, and they were broken in after a couple games and are more comfortable than the two pairs of skates i have had baked, so i dunno what was up with that

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
That doesn't mean much without knowing what skates each pair were.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
first two were vapor 18s and vapor 40s

newest ones are vapor x6.0

they are a lot nicer than the other two in general so it doesn't surprise me

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

sellouts posted:

There's no need to drive up to Dallas to go a shop. Just order poo poo online or via eBay. The size of stuff you get initially will help you determine your sizing.

Also get stuff on clearance and wait for sales. I know you're one to jump into things with 2 feet but seriously clearance stuff / last years model / lightly used stuff is all still great.

I would say definitely go to a store and try stuff on, especially if you have no idea what you're doing. I went to a PureHockey and the manager there showed me how everything should fit and gave me advice (without just pushing the most expensive stuff). But once you have an idea, you can keep an eye on online stores/eBay/craigslist/etc.

I'll always champion sale stuff, though. I basically got everything I own for at least 50% off, all mid-level stuff.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

This is what I did as well. Good way to get skates.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

xzzy posted:

One thing I've been doing about ten minutes each skate is backwards one foot glides, both inside and outside edges, working towards doing 180 degree arcs. It feels loving weird because it's something you will never normally do, but it's had a big impact on how comfortable I feel doing backwards crossovers.

I will practice this ( I think I already do when I'm loving around which is like 90% of the time)

Zip! posted:

Sit back like you're having a poo poo.

I'm not kidding - when you're skating backwards your center of gravity needs to be much lower to engage the muscles in the backs of your thighs for the push/pull movement. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

And do this. As a dude with Crohn's making GBS threads comes easy, so it should be a snap.

Thanks y'all. The final frontier of ice skating technique is upon me!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soon you will be able to comment with authority on all things NHL in the N/V thread. No one will be able to dispute your statements for you possess the power of skating backwards.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Oh no, my skate-backwards authority is already indisputable. I rather expect mod powers come with the backwards crossover.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chemmy posted:

How those skates doing?

Good. I caught a skate on the lowest eyelet, which cut the fabric on the outside, and the lace underneath, and maybe one on the tongue too. Other than that, they look to be my skates for a long time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brettbot posted:

I would say definitely go to a store and try stuff on, especially if you have no idea what you're doing. I went to a PureHockey and the manager there showed me how everything should fit and gave me advice (without just pushing the most expensive stuff). But once you have an idea, you can keep an eye on online stores/eBay/craigslist/etc.

I'll always champion sale stuff, though. I basically got everything I own for at least 50% off, all mid-level stuff.

He's getting a starter set of equipment in austin. That will tell him everything he needs in regards to sizing.

Also with 3hrs of driving each way it's still cheaper to buy stuff online and return half of it once you figure out the correct size.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This poo poo owns

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
drat that is awesome, I wish I had that for tonight.

Tried my skates out today, I love em. Took me about halfway through pickup to get used to them. Definitely going to hit up free-skate before my next game. I have stopped tying to the first eyelet, gives me much better control for some reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Played a squad of total shitbags tonight, every time they scored they ran their mouth more. Goalie has a history of getting thrown out of games for his mouth, was yelling at his teammates to hit people in the head. :downs:

Capstone was some punk kid using racial slurs against an african american on our team, tried to play it off like "normal hockey chirping" when dudes wanted to stuff teeth down his throat.

Ref heard it too, said he'd send it up to the league director but who knows if anything happens (I bet not).

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Played a squad of total shitbags tonight, every time they scored they ran their mouth more. Goalie has a history of getting thrown out of games for his mouth, was yelling at his teammates to hit people in the head. :downs:

Capstone was some punk kid using racial slurs against an african american on our team, tried to play it off like "normal hockey chirping" when dudes wanted to stuff teeth down his throat.

Ref heard it too, said he'd send it up to the league director but who knows if anything happens (I bet not).

Man, who the gently caress plays in Chicago these days?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A bunch of racist assholes, sounds like!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

sellouts posted:

3hrs of driving each way

:staredog:

Ignore me, then.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

xzzy posted:

Yea but how are they gonna go pro if they don't go all out all the time???

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

We have a noted gay team in our league and that's what it took for the league to start punishing people using homophobic slurs. Now they're automatic.

Policy should be 10 minute misconduct at minimum when it's heard. If that didn't happen I would take it up with the league directly. There's no place for that poo poo in chirping and also it's just a sure way to cause the game to get out of hand quickly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pleads posted:

A bunch of racist assholes, sounds like!

C'mon we're not Boston.

We played a game last night at 11 pm and it was pretty lovely. Our team had a hard time getting out of the zone and we played a lot in our own. Some of the guys need to learn what icing is because I think they panic when they get the puck and just dump it ahead penalty kill style for no reason at all and the face off just comes right back.

We ended up winning 5-3 after being tied a good portion of the game. One of our players had two goals and then a chance at the open net at the end. He skates it down then waited to pass because he thought there was a three goal rule in our league. The other team thought he was just being a dick and it got chippy.

The whole game was iffy for me even though I had a few chances and got a nice backhand goal. I ate way too early before the game and had zero energy after the first period. I was a little shaky towards the end and had zero burst energy which isn't normally me. Note to self, bring a candy bar or Gatorade next time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it was pretty close to turning into a fight but the kid who said the things ran off. He probably started to realize his mistake when a 300 pound dude was willing to throw down with a 160 pound kid.

Two minutes in the box for both players was able to settle things down enough that the game finished without incident, but people were looking for any flimsy excuse to take a run at anyone.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stickarts posted:

Late to the party, but don't think of them as crossovers. They're crossunders. The initial movement is pushing under with your inside leg, then shifting your balance to your outside leg, then recovering your inside leg, etc. The primary point of emphasis is that your inside leg. It should be pushing under you and out, rather than your outside leg somehow coming over.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Madbullogna posted:

Much appreciated. I was surprised how little they had there, (though I'm not really sure what I was expecting). I try to shop local when it makes sense, but have no issues ordering online or driving up to DFW either.

According to my teammate, the gear isn't bad for a first set of gear but he suggested getting beefier shinguards as he got a nice bruise through the ones included in the package. He suggested going ala carte at the pro-shop so you still get the discount.