Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
There was a "secret scene" on CBS's website this week that they didn't include in the episode that might be a clue to what/who the hinted med-evac will be.

Wes got stung on his foot by something in water (possibly a sting ray) and was looking like it could be a potentially nasty foot injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can't wait for Keith's "I've done the worst thing in Survivor history!" from the Season preview to pay out.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Met posted:

Can't wait for Keith's "I've done the worst thing in Survivor history!" from the Season preview to pay out.

That's probably him going home with idol in his pocket.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

STAC Goat posted:

I think Dale's only real misstep this week was targeting Missy. If he had just been good with Keith going then Jon might have been willing to convince Missy and Baylor to go that way and avoid the idol. I get why he went after Missy but I think it was pushing a little too far considering he was bluffing. Then again he kind of created this mess by making such a divide between him and Kelly and Missy/Baylor last week.
Missy has been divorced 3 times, I'm guessing not holding a grudge, and being reasonable aren't her strong suits.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Met posted:

Considering that the concept of a sub-alliance was a new idea to him - I don't think he's too up to speed with Survivor history.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

SalTheBard posted:

Somehow on all 3 of Coach's seasons he was never once involved in a tribe swap.

A true coach never abandons his team

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
God this season is so lame. I knew it'd be a dull episode when I saw there were only 50 posts in the thread, but we're reaching Nicaragua/One World levels of disinterest here.

Josh and Reed are pretty entertaining and certainly have the most potential to be interesting post-merge. Missy and Baylor are sorta fun to hate I guess, although both are kind of weak as reality show villains go. The rest of the cast can be launched into the sun at the earliest convenience.

Not losing any sleep over Dale going home. He was decently likeable but ultimately pretty bland and forgettable.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Kid posted:

A true coach never abandons his team

Coach has done dozens of real life tribe swaps while adventuring in the jungle anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Juanito posted:

Missy has been divorced 3 times, I'm guessing not holding a grudge, and being reasonable aren't her strong suits.

Missy's definitely not innocent but dealing with people like her is part of the Survivor game. Dale was intractable with Missy and Baylor and Kelly was pretty clearly trying to get him to mellow out because she could see what was coming. This is Survivor. Sometimes you just have to let poo poo go and play nice no matter how much you think you might be right. Dale didn't really seem to get that.

Him targeting Missy again this week probably just was an extension of that. I mean, there's a game reason to get Missy out and split up that Missy/Baylor/Jon/Jaclyn thing so he could worm in. And there was a game reason to want Keith around since he was kind of alone like Dale. But Dale had no leverage and by dictating the terms of his offer to Jon as Missy being the target it seemed like it backed Jon into a further corner. He couldn't help Dale without betraying Missy/Baylor. if Dale had put Keith on the table then in theory Jon would have a road to pleasing everyone that he might have taken.

MIGHT. I still think Jon would have told Missy and Baylor, Missy would have insisted on the split vote, and Jon and Jaclyn would have chosen to stay with the numbers and not rock the boat too much. It was always a long shot for Dale, I just think he overreached a bit and slightly worsened his odds.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This season sucks because it's just bland... But imagine how much worse it could/would have been if they actually decided to keep Redemption Island.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I kind of want Keith or Wes to win, if only to see Keith completely break down into tears. Though that will probably happen a couple more times anyways. This season is pretty average as far as cast goes, but it's pretty hard to follow a season with Tony in it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I understand why last season was "the season of Tony", but there was several personalities that crackled.

This time, not so much. I don't get the Baylor hate - she's got a lovely mom to try and navigate around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

elgarbo posted:

This season sucks because it's just bland... But imagine how much worse it could/would have been if they actually decided to keep Redemption Island.

I can't disagree with you more. Redemption Island, as long as it kept it to pre-merge would have been a better gimmick than Exile Island for a Blood vs Water season.

There's no real emotion from sending your loved one to Exile Island and the Island only gets 15 seconds of airtime. But watching your loved one get defeated in a challenge and sent home is great television.

...and then we get one poor sap back into the game to immediately get voted out again. No damage done.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Met posted:

I can't disagree with you more. Redemption Island, as long as it kept it to pre-merge would have been a better gimmick than Exile Island for a Blood vs Water season.

There's no real emotion from sending your loved one to Exile Island and the Island only gets 15 seconds of airtime. But watching your loved one get defeated in a challenge and sent home is great television.

...and then we get one poor sap back into the game to immediately get voted out again. No damage done.

I agree with these thoughts. Exile Island is pretty terrible this season. The loser of the duel (now pretty much meaningless since it's no longer a loved one duel) gets sent to Exile Island and the winner then picks someone from their own tribe to go as well. When the two exiles get there, one of them gets a clue to the HII and decides if they want to share it, then they sit there for a day or two before going back to their tribes in time for the next challenge.

Except for the first episode, they haven't really gotten any airtime and there is no real impact on the game. It's just so boring and useless and hasn't really produced any sort of drama or excitement.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Overdrift posted:

I kind of want Keith or Wes to win, if only to see Keith completely break down into tears. Though that will probably happen a couple more times anyways. This season is pretty average as far as cast goes, but it's pretty hard to follow a season with Tony in it.

But it wasn't just Tony. There were some good, big personalities last year. Granted Tony was insane, but you also had loveable Woo, hateable Kass, underdog Spencer. Last year was casting gold, imho

I can't get vested in anyone on this years cast

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'd have preferred Redemption Island but only because I prefer a total dumpster fire of a season to the dull as dishwater season we're getting.

Baylor isn't much of a villain, but she's one of the only people on the season I can muster up any "give-a-gently caress" for. Also Muffin is kind of annoying so that helps them make a villainous pair. Josh and Reed are ok and have the potential to be awesome, but if they go early post-merge this season is in huge trouble.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's funny to read some opinions of the season being bland and boring when it's obvious that Probst and the other producers think the 'loved ones' angle provides many emotional scenes that we the viewers should lap up and appreciate for the intense drama.

What I find really sets this season apart from the past 2 seasons is that there is so far no one favourite yet. Tony vs. Spencer provided compelling storylines, and Tyson had some of his classic snappy dialogue while whittling down his competitors.

I'm hoping that the merge is going to put everyone remaining into a crucible and the competition will really ramp up then because the pairs and the singles will all be together trying to create or hold on to alliances and strategize how they'll be able to move forward, so the dominant personalities and better players will be more evident.

edit: I wish for at least one season they had something like "Man Vs. Wild" and instead of being provided with so many resources, the castaways start out washed up on a beach with some shipwreck debris they have to salvage and use for shelter etc.
The tribe that traded all their stuff for a bag of rice got back to camp and didn't even think that "Hmmm now that we have no tarp maybe we should put some layered fronds on top of the shelter in case we get rain".

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 1, 2014

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I don't have high hopes for the post-merge game. This far into the season there's not a single person I'm rooting for and not anyone I can't wait to see go home. It's just a bunch of dullards who aren't very good at the game. It's a shame after a run of such interesting and exciting seasons, but you can't win 'em all.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Binary Logic posted:

edit: I wish for at least one season they had something like "Man Vs. Wild"

So the contestants would sleep in hotels?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

HUMAN FISH posted:

So the contestants would sleep in hotels?

Haha yeah I didn't mean that program, guess I should have said "Man Vs The Elements" or Suvivor: Survivorman

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

I don't have high hopes for the post-merge game. This far into the season there's not a single person I'm rooting for and not anyone I can't wait to see go home. It's just a bunch of dullards who aren't very good at the game. It's a shame after a run of such interesting and exciting seasons, but you can't win 'em all.

I don't have this attitude at all. Natalie's made some very good moves. Jeremy is giving interesting confessionals and if he can ally with a couple he could go far.
If Keith is willing to share his idol with Wes, the latter could go far. He's been good at tossing comps and doesn't appear to have any enemies.
Jon & Jaclyn + Missy & Baylor could get to final 7 and beyond if willing to keep working together.
Josh is playing strategic and Reed is good at challenges but they might be so good they'll be targeted if not careful.

Sure there hasn't been a #spyshack or #ninjastealthmode yet but I've found the game entertaining so far and as usual it will get more intense as the number of remaining players goes down.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anyone else feel like Natalie is getting a positive edit? They were very deliberate in showing her interaction with Baylor on Exile Island only from her perspective and I couldn't help but think it was meaningful for her game but not as much for Baylor or Missy's.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

dantheman650 posted:

-- practically every season pre-merge ever

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Binary Logic posted:

It's funny to read some opinions of the season being bland and boring when it's obvious that Probst and the other producers think the 'loved ones' angle provides many emotional scenes that we the viewers should lap up and appreciate for the intense drama.

I don't think hard-core fans are their targeted audience.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I never say this but this season sucks. Everyone is boring as hell.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
This season is like Gabon. Some like it and some don't.
We have had already rice problems so we can check that out of the list.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The mishandling of the rice situation is one of the many things that suck about this season. Anyone who plays next year and doesn't eat huge scoops of rice every day is an idiot. There's no reason to ration your rice when the punishment for running out is so incredibly lame.

If someone offered you a rental of a bunch of luxury items for most of the pre-merge game, and a huge advantage in every immunity challenge you'd take it in a heartbeat.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

BGrifter posted:

The mishandling of the rice situation is one of the many things that suck about this season. Anyone who plays next year and doesn't eat huge scoops of rice every day is an idiot. There's no reason to ration your rice when the punishment for running out is so incredibly lame.

If someone offered you a rental of a bunch of luxury items for most of the pre-merge game, and a huge advantage in every immunity challenge you'd take it in a heartbeat.

Probst mentioned it on a interview that he is already tackling down this problem.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nexal posted:

Probst mentioned it on a interview that he is already tackling down this problem.

Got a link?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Met posted:

Got a link?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/30/survivor-jeff-probst-san-juan-del-sur-episode-6/

Well not exactly tackling down the problem i remember wrong.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It's definitely not a top-tier season for me, thus far. Pretty drat predictable at every turn. We even already know which tribe is going to win every challenge.

No stand-out awesome people yet, although the editing has been trying to cram Josh and Jeremy down our throats, and Jon to a lesser extent (although his musical accompaniment suggests that the editors realize what a bumbling moron he is; WTF is Jaclyn doing with his rear end I haven't figured out).

No obvious villains yet, either. The Missy/Baylor duo is as close as we're getting now that Rocker is gone. No surprise that Missy has burned through three marriages, and Baylor is a devious little poo poo, but smug passive aggression isn't TV gold like Tony/Coach/he who shall not be named.

Luckily, we're not even at the merge yet. poo poo can still go bananas. Jeremy seems to be a time-bomb of emotion and ego. Twinnie #2 is a known poo poo-disturber. Josh/Reed are a physical and social stronghold, but with ever-increasing targets. Keith/Wes could have under-the-radar wheels, and Keith has an idol.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I get the feeling that the other couple on that tribe is going to take out Baylor or Missy then be shocked when the 3 singles beat them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Probst giddy about what fantastic TV it was then throwing out a vague threat about if people do it again seems pretty weak to me. Even if they did implement a stiffer penalty like sending them to tribal it's still a good deal for all but one member of that tribe.

They won't let someone starve and die on the show, so there isn't any serious danger. Unless they avoid tribe shuffles entirely they can't really punish a tribe too harshly for actions taken place before half of them got there.

The idea of eating all the rice till you're full has been talked about on RHAP multiple times by a lot of really savvy veterans. You'd be foolish to not do it and dare production to stop you.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I'm banking on shut getting crazy after the merge. If they do the dumb thing and stay couples paired up and vote out singles then those folks will implode really fast.
The singles have a chance to make some good plays.
Fingers crossed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've said it before but I think Jeremy, Natalie, and Josh have shown some game smarts and could round into very good players. There's also potential with the Jon/Jaclyn or Wes/Keith pairs if they can stay together post merge as they don't seem to have any enemies and right now there's enough pairs that they don't stand out. Reed is still kind of a mystery strategically but I feel like he's such an obvious physical threat that he and Josh are going to get the Aras/Vytas treatment post merge where they think they're in great shape but everyone else simultaneously realizes they're the top targets.

I'm enjoying the season but I get why people aren't because there are no big characters.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I also don't really understand the Missy and Baylor hate. I guess Missy seems a little annoying as a person, but in a season with very little strategic thinking the two of them have done kind of okay. Baylor was the first on her tribe to suggest voting out Rocker, and Missy was the first to suggest voting out Drew (even if Josh and Natalie seemed to actually put the votes together in time). Both have made strong alliances with some of the biggest power players in the season, and also survived a pretty tight tribal swap that could have gone either way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate Baylor. I find Missy annoying and it's kind of growing into a hate, I think, but it's not there yet. But I see it, in both of them. Missy is kind of demanding and bossy doesn't give off the idea that she's self aware about it. And Baylor has a little of it too and has played a sneaky game. Then again I think Dale and Missy were a good match and I don't think Baylor has done anything that Josh hasn't done. So that threatens to open a dreaded door about double standards.

But yeah, you can't say they haven't been playing the game. Neither seems like a game genius or anything but they're in the mix and working hard, and considering their precarious positions all season they've done a good job working themselves into a relative position of power. It's not that long ago that Missy was a pretty powerless member of the minority on the blue tribe while Baylor was basically a headless chicken after a couple of weeks of Josh using her as his game shield.

I kind of really want to see them merge, have Josh go to Baylor about a power alliance, and then have Baylor orchestrate Josh or Reed's eviction. I just think it would be funny.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

mancalamania posted:

I also don't really understand the Missy and Baylor hate. I guess Missy seems a little annoying as a person, but in a season with very little strategic thinking the two of them have done kind of okay. Baylor was the first on her tribe to suggest voting out Rocker, and Missy was the first to suggest voting out Drew (even if Josh and Natalie seemed to actually put the votes together in time). Both have made strong alliances with some of the biggest power players in the season, and also survived a pretty tight tribal swap that could have gone either way.
Watch Baylor's OFFICIAL country music video.
If that doesn't do it then I dunno what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdMgJ-OREk

Baylor comes across to me as an entitled brat and ducking behind Mommy's skirt is her only form of strategy right now.
If Muffin bounces and Baylor is able to show that she has any head in this game without Mommy help, I'll change my tune.
I just don't see the latter happening.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Probst giddy about what fantastic TV it was then throwing out a vague threat about if people do it again seems pretty weak to me. Even if they did implement a stiffer penalty like sending them to tribal it's still a good deal for all but one member of that tribe.

They won't let someone starve and die on the show, so there isn't any serious danger. Unless they avoid tribe shuffles entirely they can't really punish a tribe too harshly for actions taken place before half of them got there.

It would be unfair but I think it would be great for the show, bringing all types of potential hate and resentment that normally wouldn't be present into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Other than the reward challenges, the blood vs. water gimmick is working well. I like that people are overreacting to early boots. The siblings moved on. Jeremy went after John for failing to protect his wife. Julie felt isolated and is a coin flip away from quitting. Missy and Dale overreacted. Baylor is happy to ride coattails, while Kelley tried to manage an emotional player. Dale went for revenge and threatened the alliance instead of trying to leapfrog Keith just to stay in the game.

• Locked thread