Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If anything I think he will force all the practitioners into a one sided deal/pact by threatening their or their children's lives. Basically remove all the small fry Behaims and Duchamps from the equation. That would make the contest much more equal, Alister, Johannes, Sandra, and Rose/Blake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

God DAMNIT ROSE

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hahaha god drat if anyone still doubts that she's the bad, unwanted, half of the "pair" they are nuts.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll be completely honest, they're actually a pretty good match.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Standard Canadian values, do you have it?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I definitely didn't see that ending coming.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HiHo ChiRho posted:

God DAMNIT ROSE

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting your entire midsection degloved sounds horrifying but it probably puts you out of your misery real quick :pseudo:

(seriously though jesus christ)

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Pact: God DAMNIT ROSE

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tollymain posted:

Getting your entire midsection degloved sounds horrifying but it probably puts you out of your misery real quick :pseudo:

(seriously though jesus christ)

Green Eyes is working hard to replace Evan as best character.

Also I'm not buying this twist for a second. No way is this what it seems.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Fans posted:

Green Eyes is working hard to replace Evan as best character.

Only problem is that lying is pretty tough in Pact. It could be a straight up deception but if it is actually Rose and she made any oaths/promises then she's pretty stuck.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

God DAMNIT ROSE

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yet again, Blake starts kicking rear end and solving problems and Rose brings it to a screeching halt.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fans posted:

How many times has the bait-and-switch happened so far in Pact? Every time I can remember calling shenanigans on events, it's been played straight by the characters.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if it's possible to reconnect Blake and Rose so they reform the original person?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
about as possible as it is to undo anything else a demon does, i'm sure

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Even if it were once possible, I doubt it would be anymore, Blake has just lost too drat much of his humanity at this point.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Even if it were once possible, I doubt it would be anymore, Blake has just lost too drat much of his humanity at this point.

That's probably true. Makes me wonder what the end will be like. What constitutes a happy ending for a boogeyman?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's probably true. Makes me wonder what the end will be like. What constitutes a happy ending for a boogeyman?

Becoming a bogeyman for terrible people and Others like the necromancer? The process involved in making that rot monster was pretty pure evil - arguably more so than summoning a demon (if less stupid, admittedly).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Grundulum posted:

How many times has the bait-and-switch happened so far in Pact? Every time I can remember calling shenanigans on events, it's been played straight by the characters.

It's not the bait-and-switch with Wildbow. It's "Yes this did happen, but you're forgetting/don't know that..."

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, then. That really is Rose. She really does want Blake's friends safe. She (and Alister apparently) didn't realize how much danger they were in.

Question: If Rose is the heir, what is Blake's karmic debt? I could almost believe that Granny Thorburn set things up so that Rose would be in the clear and leave Blake saddled with everything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grandma Rose posted:

My understanding of things is simple, Alister. Every Other is, if you trace things back far enough, the fault of demons. Every practitioner is the fault of Others, or, for a rare few, the fault of demons. All of these things, in their way, guide all of existence slowly toward its end. The unlucky few who get in too deep fall into their clutches.

I was so loving right about Solomon causing bad poo poo in the long run. :colbert:

According to a potentially unreliable narrator.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's entirely possible that Grandma Rose is correct, and her plan of action actually could lead to "salvation" but a) we still don't know why Grandma Rose would have used Barbatorum to split X into Blake and Rose, and b) we don't know how the plan is actually supposed to work.

Hell, if Grandma was getting an aid from Behaim Divination it's totally within reason that even Grandma Rose didn't really know how these moves and actions would combine to achieve their goals, Similar to how Contessa never really knew how her actions were going to achieve their result through the manipulation of Taylor.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

NecroMonster posted:

It's entirely possible that Grandma Rose is correct, and her plan of action actually could lead to "salvation" but a) we still don't know why Grandma Rose would have used Barbatorum to split X into Blake and Rose, and b) we don't know how the plan is actually supposed to work.

Hell, if Grandma was getting an aid from Behaim Divination it's totally within reason that even Grandma Rose didn't really know how these moves and actions would combine to achieve their goals, Similar to how Contessa never really knew how her actions were going to achieve their result through the manipulation of Taylor.

Contessa didn't either, at least where Zion was concerned. Blind spot, remember? Khepri was a fortunate accident.

I'm not sure whether or not to revise my theory after this chapter. Blake strikes me as exactly the sort of heir Grandmother Rose would have wanted for her rebellion--intelligent, a natural hand at magic, and moral enough to find both the Thorburns and the general way of the magic world repulsive. Splitting off the Thorburn-ness from the desired part of the heir and then compelling him to kill said Incarnation of the Thorburns seems like a pretty neat way to wrap things up, really, provided she could identify the right raw material before said splitting.

On one hand, Alister is a good insurance policy; give a Chronomancer the ability to ward off a demon and they're pretty well-positioned to gank a diabolist that goes power-mad, and Grandmother Rose seems to take the Black Lamb's Blood philosophy of "only use demons to stop a greater demon-related harm" seriously. On the other hand, if I'm guessing right, then she's already going for a big moonshot with Blake, the world's hosed up enough that one more bad diabolist isn't really that bad, and all indications are that Laird and Alister are the exact same kind of petty power-focused practitioner that she's dedicated to overthrowing. Giving an enemy any assistance at all doesn't help his odds.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I actually like the idea that Rose is the intended heir and that Blake surviving is the universes way of trying to keep the historical balance. So Blake would actually be the anti revolutionary though not really by his own choice but more how the universe is going to use him.

For instance if Rose needed to sacrifice Alexis in order for the 'revolution' to succeed and make the universe better I think Blake would attempt to stop her even if he knew the cost to the world.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 1, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Sounds like a drat mess.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait

roses... heavy use of symbolism and such... seeking to bring the world revolution

clearly pact is wildbow's secret utena fanfic :tinfoil:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
caught up on hero historia. are all of these arcs going to have downer endings? :(

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's worth noting that while Grandma Rose is likely correct that Others are a result of Demonic influence, and practitioners are a result of Others (or even, rarely, demons directly), there is every drat chance that she's wrong about the purpose of Others and Practitioners in relation to Demons. She defines them as a cause of demons, rather than a reaction to demons, which, if the hints about the true nature of the "abyss" we've been given read the way I am increasingly interpreting them, could be a big mistake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you mean "caused by", right? i don't think she said that practitioners are like, generating new demons

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Of course I mean caused by.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Einander posted:

Contessa didn't either, at least where Zion was concerned. Blind spot, remember? Khepri was a fortunate accident.

I'm not sure whether or not to revise my theory after this chapter. Blake strikes me as exactly the sort of heir Grandmother Rose would have wanted for her rebellion--intelligent, a natural hand at magic, and moral enough to find both the Thorburns and the general way of the magic world repulsive. Splitting off the Thorburn-ness from the desired part of the heir and then compelling him to kill said Incarnation of the Thorburns seems like a pretty neat way to wrap things up, really, provided she could identify the right raw material before said splitting.

On one hand, Alister is a good insurance policy; give a Chronomancer the ability to ward off a demon and they're pretty well-positioned to gank a diabolist that goes power-mad, and Grandmother Rose seems to take the Black Lamb's Blood philosophy of "only use demons to stop a greater demon-related harm" seriously. On the other hand, if I'm guessing right, then she's already going for a big moonshot with Blake, the world's hosed up enough that one more bad diabolist isn't really that bad, and all indications are that Laird and Alister are the exact same kind of petty power-focused practitioner that she's dedicated to overthrowing. Giving an enemy any assistance at all doesn't help his odds.

Personally, I think Blake is the intended "fix", but no one is meant to believe that yet in order to shield him. If granny wanted to wipe out a powerful family, how would she best go about doing that? Direct attack? No. How about sneak a destructive force into their midst? And how better to do that than marry-in such a force during a time of great duress?

She's throwing Rose, the collection of undesirable traits, to the wolves as a sort of arcane suicide bomber. She's hoping Rose will go down in flames and take the Behaims with her.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Welp, it sounds like Pact will be winding down before long and then he's working on something he's calling 'Twig' and then back to Worm.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What the hell just happened? I'm not sure if I understand.

e. So what I gather from the comments, Blake got temporarily possessed by Molly. Molly is rather hesitant to go for deals with the Behaims so she stabs Alister, breaking the possibility for a truce and fueling her desire for revenge (Alister knows it was Molly and he doesn't even necessarily blame Molly or Blake but he can't look weak in front of his family). The goblins tearing Blake apart where a vision from Molly's last moments and Maggie Holt isn't actually there; it is Molly's mind imagining it.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 4, 2014

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

What the hell just happened? I'm not sure if I understand.

e. So what I gather from the comments, Blake got temporarily possessed by Molly. Molly is rather hesitant to go for deals with the Behaims so she stabs Alister, breaking the possibility for a truce and fueling her desire for revenge (Alister knows it was Molly and he doesn't even necessarily blame Molly or Blake but he can't look weak in front of his family). The goblins tearing Blake apart where a vision from Molly's last moments and Maggie Holt isn't actually there; it is Molly's mind imagining it.

That was my take on it as well.

I have no idea how this is going to wrap up soon in a satisfactory way.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Namarrgon posted:

I read this like 5 times and still didn't get it until I read the comments. It needs better transition markers to make it clear what's happening.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Well, I'm not quite sure this is as bad as it can get for Blake, but it's pretty close. :ohdear:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

...and then you remember how bad poo poo got for Skitter and wonder just how much worse Wildbow is going to make things.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Saros posted:

...and then you remember how bad poo poo got for Skitter and wonder just how much worse Wildbow is going to make things.

You know, this chapter has let me articulate what I'm finding a bit unsatisfying about Pact so far. Wildbow just doesn't ever let Blake's situation ever stray much beyond "and then everything went wrong and Blake is scraping out subsistence against ludicrous odds." To some degree this has been the entire plot, Blake chased by monsters in the snow in chapter 2 and moving on to be menaced by the Hyena and Conquest and the Abyss and an army of Others and now the Behaims and a dozen other more minor encounters.

I guess personally it's because the most enjoyable parts of Pact for me have been either the world building, or when you have people playing off each other talking through a problem or enemies negotiating. The best part of the rules established for the world is to force all the players to be scrupulously honest, and that leads to a lot of great situations where the conflict takes place in the conversation. All that stuff tends to take a back seat when the stakes rise and Blake ends up fighting for what's left of his life, again.

At this point I just see the overall plot like a man who is drowning, fighting for air before sinking beneath the waves, before crashing back up again for a few moments. Then sinking. Then rising. Then sinking. Over and over again, no growth, just continuation. It loses it's impact.

See, I was mostly through this chapter and I was totally into the notion of some kind of uneasy alliance with the Behaims and Blake interacting a bit more with Rose (the bit where they're talking about their own relative existences was great) and then bam, forced betrayal, forced combat, Blake running through the streets bereft of most of his allies and chased by all his enemies.

The very first thing to pop into my mind was oh not this poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yup. I'm pretty unhappy about the direction pact has taken as well. It's just unceasing conflict, all the time, and any opportunities for character development get dropped for more crises, all the time. It's kind of comical that the biggest "character development" we've had since Blake started his coven is when the various Thorburns are being chopped up by monsters, that's how bad the pacing is.

• Locked thread