Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Since it's apparently got a US/CAN release coming up, you guys should listen to Violent Soho - Smith Street Band supported them last tour, and Soho are loving incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9NC4iQcsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js4c8mt_UNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6LM-5-oC-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWj8bcmMZ5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
So, Leftöver Crack are playing Philly this week. Should I even bother?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
do you like the band?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I figure if you were gonna put the umlaut in there, you are gonna go to the show.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
So what is PBTT's tag nowadays? Keep You leaked and it's pretty good but apart from Say Nothing it's very far from their previous stuff.

Now loving give me Transmission Alpha Delta and 2014 is done.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

So what is PBTT's tag nowadays? Keep You leaked and it's pretty good but apart from Say Nothing it's very far from their previous stuff.

I found it a bit boring :( But I'm in theory into the new direction. I absolutely loved The Lack Long After and Hiding though, and I think when bands follow up an album you love, it definitely colours your perceptions to begin with.

e: There's a Sed Non Satiata split or something coming, and once I have that, yeah, done with hardcore for the year I think. Not the best year, unless I've missed loads of stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'd just call it emo.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
"boring"

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I'm seeing the Dead Milkmen tonight. I haven't been hearing great reviews of their live performances but fingers crossed. I'm hopeful it'll be good since I'm not looking for anything super high energy. As long as I hear Punk Rock Girl I'll be happy.

Edit:

AAR Dead Milkmen: show was ok. Aside from a couple bouncy people the crowd had little energy until the encore. They played most of their better known material in the first 20 minutes of their set. After that they got a bit jam bandy.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Dead Milkmen are great live, I saw them a few years back in Chicago.
It was great being around the pit with a bunch of 20-something punks & dudes wearing ties who had just got off their 9-5 job and grew up listening to the band :unsmith:

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Dead Milkmen are great live, I saw them a few years back in Chicago.
It was great being around the pit with a bunch of 20-something punks & dudes wearing ties who had just got off their 9-5 job and grew up listening to the band :unsmith:

Unfortunately, while the band had some energy, there were only a couple people in the crowd bouncing. Almost everyone else was only tapping their feet and nodding their heads. There wasn't any moshing until the encore, and even then only on a couple songs. I think because it was a Sunday night everyone was kind of taking it easy because we all had work the next morning.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Well there's a new rancid album. It has a couple of songs that are really cool, but most of them have pretty embarrassing and cliched lyrics. The music itself is pretty decent though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

So, Leftöver Crack are playing Philly this week. Should I even bother?

I'm going to see them in Charlotte tomorrow because gently caress work. Gonna be a good time.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze8uqlrOzfU

Video from The Pine reunion show last Saturday that I missed :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Leftover Crack was fun, the openers were cool, I saw a dude do a rap called Punch Em In The Dick, would've been more fun if Stza had shut the gently caress up and played more songs, also there's blood on my pants and I don't know whose it is but it isn't mine. Punk rock.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
New Smith Streed Band album is streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMtVnzUISmQ&list=PLTApr45G3y8PwenlzX2sLzrM4nqAxxuXg

It's really good.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

sonicice posted:

Well there's a new rancid album. It has a couple of songs that are really cool, but most of them have pretty embarrassing and cliched lyrics. The music itself is pretty decent though.

It's pretty meh.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
There's a new Lagwagon album this week too, which is pretty great, if you enjoy their brand of punk.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The new Restorations album came out this week too, I have been digging it a lot: http://youtu.be/1Rv6q1-y27Q

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Puig Destroyer S/T is so good. I just wanted to let you all know.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
pug destroyer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Inspector_666 posted:

The Puig Destroyer S/T is so good. I just wanted to let you all know.

Someone should have played STOP loving BUNTING for Ned Yost last night.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rabidsquid posted:

Someone should have played STOP loving BUNTING for Ned Yost last night.

Jesus gently caress yes.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Yep, really liking this after a couple of listens. Seems to be there most polished and complete sounding record.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently Refused fired their guitar player?

Facebook posted:

I was fired from Refused a while ago. I wasn’t given a reasonable explanation and wasn’t even invited to sit down and talk about it, so I'm not completely sure why they decided to go on without me. We’ve always been better at punk rock than democratic processes and dealing with conflicts, so I guess I’m not too surprised it went down like this. Quite sad indeed, but perhaps it's all for the best. I have always been more interested in writing music than reproducing it, more at home in the studio than on the road. Comfortable with slow intellectual processes rather than reacting instinctively in tumbling settings. What hurts me the most, is obviously the gesture. We’ve had our ups and downs, but we’ve made art together and have been tied to together through Refused for twenty years. I used to be proud to call these people my friends.

Enough rationalization and moaning, though. I'm writing to you through this forum to express my gratitude. If it weren't for you Refused wouldn't have happened in the first place. All of you who made, and still make, wonderful art, thus inspiring us to also try to do so. All the people whose fights fueled ours. Those who couldn't stand oppression, who took action against capitalism, racism and sexism. All of you who through words and activism lit sparks, kept ideas of solidarity alive, who actually made a change. And of course all you beautiful people who came and made our shows. Who gave us feedback on our music through dancing, shouting, late night discussions, through bombarding us with human faeces. You made it happen in the nineties, you made it happen during our reunion a couple of years ago. Touching to say the least. And I know you'll keep it up. Fighting, dancing and creating forever. I know I will. Through my music, through my work, through interactions, through speaking up. Just not through the forum of Refused anymore.

From the very bottom of my heart, thank you. See you in the pit.

Love.

Jon Brännström.
Sounds lovely. Their reunion show was the best concert I've ever seen.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
We should fire every member of Refused into the Sun.

TheEldar
Oct 24, 2010
Check this Swedish band out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C949IYcdUBk

Millencolin-inspired pop-punk, but they have their own style for sure

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The first time I listened to "The shape of punk to come" I laughed so hard at "Can I scream" that I had to turn off the record and I just never listened to it again.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

NinetySevenA posted:

The first time I listened to "The shape of punk to come" I laughed so hard at "Can I scream" that I had to turn off the record and I just never listened to it again.

Oh gods yes. I (basically an old pun/hc guy) really wanted to like 'em but couldn't. Just couldn't. Because that record sucked. Man, it sucked something awful (no pun intended)..

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I know someone in this thread recommended seeing Captured By Robots not long ago so I decided to check them out tonight when they played in town. Tragically, I left during the third song but I don't blame the band. The sound guy seems to have completely checked out. The only thing coming from the speakers was dangerously loud screeching and bass drum that sounded like gun shots. No vocals, no guitar, no bassline, no drums except the kick. I, and most of the audience fled clutching our ears.

The silver lining is the show was cheap and two of the three openers were totally worth the ticket price.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

GWAR I don't know if they fit the punk/hardcore/emo bill, but they did a very nice obit style song on The AV club.

http://www.avclub.com/video/gwar-covers-pet-shop-boys-211000

They also do a cover of Dayglo Abortions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dSjCdhzE5E

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They don't even remotely fit, but they are the best at Undercover.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the Kansas cover was good but since they've started appending other things to their covers it's gone to a whole new level.

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufmrxm-IuMU

Friend of mine just turned me onto Daitro. I'm sure y'all are already up on this but it's really good.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Ras Het posted:

We should fire every member of Refused into the Sun.

i dug "shape of punk to come" when it came out but i don't think there is a band/record that has held up less than them. that poo poo is awful.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've been listening to Refused since high school and they've only grown on me. Considering that and that TSoPtC is one of the more acclaimed hardcore albums ever created I'm a bit baffled by the response here, but whatever.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Henchman of Santa posted:

TSoPtC is one of the more acclaimed hardcore albums ever created

Yeah, by people who haven't listened to any hardcore since their DK patch fell off towards the end of 8th grade.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Come on. It's got like violins. It's called "The Shape of Punk to Come". I don't know if people are actually playing that kind of music (I can't bear that post-hardcore stuff, as is obvious), but it's not a hardcore milestone. To hardcore it's a curiosity, a footnote.

There's exactly one hardcore record that deserves to be treated with religion, and it looks like this: