Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I've been exposed as the worst scientist of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Did you hear that initial reports are citing a build-up of dihydrogen monoxide vapour as the cause of the explosion?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Dad used to be a fuel handler for Titan II ICBMs and the second stage of that rocket uses the same fuel and oxidizer. If exposed to the air, the oxidizer would become red fuming nitric acid (or, as they called it at the missile sites, BFRC for Big loving Red Cloud), which could melt your lungs.

He posted a warning to his friends in the area to watch out for BFRC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sjurygg posted:

Yes, nitrogen when mixed with oxygen at a ratio of 79-21 is extremely volatile.
You're an rear end in a top hat and I like you

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Godholio posted:

Is Hornet Ball the new Fighter Fling?

Yup.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

McNally posted:

Dad used to be a fuel handler for Titan II ICBMs and the second stage of that rocket uses the same fuel and oxidizer.

Second stage of what rocket, the Antares? The Antares doesn't use RFNA on any stage, the first stage is regular old kerosene/LOX and the second stage is a solid rocket.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dark Helmut posted:

Supposedly there was some big nitrogen tank on board. Am I wrong or is that why the explosion was so huge?

Serious answer after all the razzing, gaseous nitrogen (N2) is extremely stable and unreactive, as it has a triple bond between the two individual atoms. Triple bonds are extremely difficult (read: take a lot of energy input) to break apart so nitrogen can be put into other compounds. Those compounds are notoriously unstable because of said input energy, it's still part of the atom by dint of the triple bond not existing. When those compounds decompose and the nitrogen atoms re-form that triple bond, all that energy that was put in to break it is released at once.

See for example this blog post on a compound containing 6 Nitrogen atoms per molecule. A highlight:

quote:

...Making something like this that can actually be handled and stored is a real accomplishment.

Not that it's what you'd call a perfect compound in that regard - despite a lot of effort, it's still not quite ready to be hauled around in trucks. There's a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you're left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ugh. I can imagine the F-14 guys' eye rolls.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Beeb has a Cold War twofer:

1) Lots of intercepts going on. Russian Bear diplomacy continues; it's not every day Portugal has to scramble fighter jets.

2) People are accusing France of shenanigans with delivery of those assault ships. According to the report, France's president will decide "at the moment of hand-over" weather or not the ship will in fact be handed over.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 30, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lease them to Canada you French dicks

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

priznat posted:

Lease them to Quebec you French dicks

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Uh no they'll just use them for daycares and selling smokes.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Second stage of what rocket, the Antares? The Antares doesn't use RFNA on any stage, the first stage is regular old kerosene/LOX and the second stage is a solid rocket.

Probably thinking of the third stage which uses dinitrogen tetroxide (a component of RFNA) and hydrazine as propellants. The latter is all sorts of toxic and corrosive.

darnon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cardiac posted:

Probably something we should pick up again since apparently MiG-31s have been spotted in the Baltic last week according to a Swedish military blogger.

Probably not as big of an issue nowadays seeing as Sweden has AMRAAMs, which I'd imagine would make interception of high-speed targets a hell of a lot easier than it was back in the 60s-80s.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Meteor is slated to enter service in 2015 too, that should make it even easier. If it works, that is. New and untried tech is scary.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

priznat posted:

Lease them to Canada you French dicks

France does this, then Canada buys F-35Bs :unsmigghh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TheFluff posted:

The Meteor is slated to enter service in 2015 too, that should make it even easier. If it works, that is. New and untried tech is scary.

I know the Royal Air Force is falling apart and regressive, but this is ridiculous. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

France does this, then Canada buys F-35Bs :unsmigghh:

Well not like you can launch Rafales off it!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Back Hack posted:

I know the Royal Air Force is falling apart and regressive, but this is ridiculous. :v:

I'm not sure if I follow? Did I make a dumb?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Gloster Meteor.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sperglord Actual posted:

Gloster Meteor.

oh another joke passing 70,000 ft over my head :downs:

(for the record in case someone was actually confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_%28missile%29)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

darnon posted:

Probably thinking of the third stage which uses dinitrogen tetroxide (a component of RFNA) and hydrazine as propellants. The latter is all sorts of toxic and corrosive.

Dad must have misspoke when he said second. Yeah, dinitrogen tetroxide is pretty nasty stuff that was used as the oxidizer in Titan IIs and turned into a BFRC it got out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

darnon posted:

What third stage? Neither Titan II or Antares have one. Antares is nothing like a storable-liquid-fuel ICBM.

Titan II:
First stage: hydrazine/UDMH/dinitrogen tetroxide.
Second stage: hydrazine/dinitrogen tetroxide.

Antares:
First stage: kerosene/LOX
Second stage: solid fuel (aluminum/binder/oxidizer).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably not as big of an issue nowadays seeing as Sweden has AMRAAMs, which I'd imagine would make interception of high-speed targets a hell of a lot easier than it was back in the 60s-80s.

Yeah it goes from needing a double bullseye to the green bullseye. The 3d geometry is the same, but you have a few extra seconds to get it sorted.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Phanatic posted:

What third stage? Neither Titan II or Antares have one. Antares is nothing like a storable-liquid-fuel ICBM.

Titan II:
First stage: hydrazine/UDMH/dinitrogen tetroxide.
Second stage: hydrazine/dinitrogen tetroxide.

Antares:
First stage: kerosene/LOX
Second stage: solid fuel (aluminum/binder/oxidizer).

Well, technically the payload (Cygnus, in the recent case) or trans-stage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fucknag posted:

Serious answer after all the razzing, gaseous nitrogen (N2) is extremely stable and unreactive, as it has a triple bond between the two individual atoms. Triple bonds are extremely difficult (read: take a lot of energy input) to break apart so nitrogen can be put into other compounds. Those compounds are notoriously unstable because of said input energy, it's still part of the atom by dint of the triple bond not existing. When those compounds decompose and the nitrogen atoms re-form that triple bond, all that energy that was put in to break it is released at once.

See for example this blog post on a compound containing 6 Nitrogen atoms per molecule. A highlight:

Thanks for explaining this. Chemistry is my worst subject (AFAIK) and I never understood why stable, boring nitrogen was found in so many things that explode.

Dumb question: I remember from high school nitrogen has a triple bond. Could you (in theory) make even better explosives out of something with a quadruple bond, like silicon or carbon?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Carbon doesn't form quadruple bonds, as far as I'm aware.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

(throws away bags of charcoal and sand he'd been saving)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

Carbon doesn't form quadruple bonds, as far as I'm aware.

Is there anything that does? My knowledge of chemistry is also basically high school level (though I did enjoy it) but I don't remember any compounds that had them.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think some metals do.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mortabis posted:

I think some metals do.

Unless you're talking about something real weird, I don't think they make that many covalent bonds, which is what we're really talking about.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Fair enough. From my limited recollection of high school chemistry, that sounds implausible simply because electrons, as with all like-charged particles, will tend to repel each other and squishing eight into the same area isn't too likely.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

No you cannot get 4 bonds to another atom with carbon/silicon due to how the electron orbitals are arranged.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's early cold war stuff so I figure this might be a good place to ask: does anybody know of any good books or articles on the Forest Brothers in the Baltics?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I don't know of any books in english, but there are some in swedish at least including the memoirs of one of the lithuanian organizers.
Obvious advice ofc, have you checked the wiki further reading section?

E: then there's this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3633160/

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 31, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Rough week in the private space industry. Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two had a crash. One fatality, one injured at present.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Alaan posted:

Rough week in the private space industry. Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two had a crash. One fatality, one injured at present.

You mean for NASA :ninja:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

You mean for NASA :ninja:

Ah Fox News :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Just more of your TAX DOLLARS down the toi... *pauses to listen to the EP in the earpiece* ...so evidently it was a rocket owned by Orbital Sciences, a private corporate person who was *failed* by the ineptitude of big government. None of this would've happened if the rocket was launched from a facility that didn't have to kowtow to intrusive profit-sapping safety regulations!"

(just to forestall any hurf blurf, it should be noted that the only 'big gubbermint' aspect of this launch was that it was launched at a NASA facility - everything else was in private hands)

Fun fact: Orbital's main HQ building is on a specially-named road:

And speaking of rockets that (thankfully) never had to be used but are awesome as gently caress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_%28missile%29

"The Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't know of any books in english, but there are some in swedish at least including the memoirs of one of the lithuanian organizers.
Obvious advice ofc, have you checked the wiki further reading section?

E: then there's this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3633160/

Thanks, turns out that memoir was translated into English earlier this year. I expect it'll be interesting if depressing.