Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Wasteland 2: One of my favorite games that I've played this year. It certainly has its issues but overall I thought it was tremendous. It's raised my hopes for Torment by a lot now that I know inXile can deliver. Happy that I backed this and very happy with the result.

Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition: A runner that has lots of game modes, unlockables and collectibles but unfortunately the actual gameplay was not compelling enough for me to want to play past beating the main campaign on normal difficulty. But that content's there if you want it I suppose.

A Valley Without Wind 2: I genuinely don't know why I have such a soft spot for this series. I liked the first and I liked this one too. Somehow they've charmed me despite (because of?) the odd design and clunky mechanics. I should try one of Arcen's actually well-received games instead of the divisive ones. Really enjoyed it, in any case, despite having to abandon my first attempt after 8 hours due to an unwinnable position.

I also removed PAYDAY: The Heist and Left 4 Dead 2 from my backlog because I don't play multiplayer and from everything I've read the singleplayer mode on those, while playable, might as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beaten/Finished/Done

LEGO Batman: The Videogame
I had a ton of fun playing this game, which was actually my first finished LEGO game ever.
I really enjoy when puzzle platformers keep the gimmicks and special moves/controls to an absolute minimum. It might be something about having to look down at the gamepad every time a game asks me to hit the blue button or the one with a "Y", because I have absolutely no idea where they are placed and need to check that poo poo every time.
Having finished the three Batman missions, I really thought I was done, but then I realized the devs had thrown in the same missions, just seen from the villains POV.
While it's great that you really get something for your money, I felt that the Batman side was perfectly fine. I played the Riddler mission, but that was it.
I enjoyed the humor and will definitely soon play more LEGO games.

The Treasures of Montezuma 4
Having finished the main game, got gold in all but 2 quest mode puzzles and gotten at least one artifact in each puzzle mode (or was puzzle and quest the other way around), I'm done with this Match 3.
It's definitely the best and most varied Match 3 game on Steam right now: 8 different types of modes, 8 or 10 upgradeable powers, very polished and a story that makes absolutely no sense.
I would even go as far as say that it's better than Bejeweled 3.

Watch_Dogs: Bad Blood
More WD but thankfully less Aiden Pierce. T-Bone is a pretty cool protagonist and there were some great missions, though nothing new compared to the original game.
You get an RC car and some badass melee weapons, but there is also the overly dramatic cut scenes and the constant yakking during car chases that really pisses me off.
Your new hideout has a lower level and as soon as I saw that in Act 1, I knew a final battle was to take place there. And gently caress that level, which I actually ragequit as I had had enough of restarting after getting killed over and over again and seeing a 1 minute load screen and the same 30 second cutscene before starting up again. While not technically beaten, I sure am done with the game.
So off to Bit Valhalla with you, Ubisoft Open World game #482. I honestly don't hope they continue with IP unless they make some serious changes to the whole thing and never mention Aiden Pierce or really any of the characters from the original game again.

Hexcells Infinte
I'm totally addicted to Hexcells and Infinite is the perfect game for me as there are 1 billion levels to finish.
Easier than Hexcells Plus except perhaps for the second to last level, it's just the perfect puzzle game. Easily comparable to Everyday Genius: SquareLogic as a perfect time waster.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 21, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Hitman: Blood Money

I am comfortable saying that this is the game that Codename 47 and Silent Assassin should have been, but weren't. The weird jankiness of controls and physics that plagued the earlier games is gone, replaced with buttery smoothness. Gone is the inability to decide whether it wants to be an action game or a stealth game; it is first and foremost a stealth game, but on every level you still have the option to fall back on wanton slaughter, and it handles that gracefully. And gone are the levels with sadistically precise solutions, where every action must be precisely timed and executed; this is still a requirement for a perfect score (Silent Assassin rating) on most levels, but if you aren't trying for perfection you have much more leeway.

I liked the frame story, too, and the ending was great. All in all, a fantastic game; if Hitman interests you, you should skip the earlier games and just play Blood Money, because it's the series at its best.

Null: Imperium Galactica II, Interstate '76, Heretic II, Hammerfight

All of these are games I played back in the day but never finished, and realistically I have no interest in revisiting them. Maaaaaybe IG2, if I find myself in the mood for some space 4Xing, but since it has no campaign of any sort, just randomly generated maps (in common with many other 4X games), it's a good candidate for Null anyways.

Now Playing: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

Just finished an H, so I is next and this looks like the most interesting I I have. Let's see if it can overcome my general apathy towards hack and slash games these days.

Now Playing (Laptop): Don't Starve

I'm still not sure whether I like this or not, given that the world generator is a dirty rear end in a top hat sonofabitch that will cheerfuly generate a world with no rocks or ore anywhere. My wife, on the other hand, finds watching me die hilarious.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Hooray for having a late summer vacation. Now is the time to work on the backlog, and here is a days worth of looking at mostly bundle games - all are now uninstalled.

Kill Fun Yeah
This game is dead. Like Mars soil dead.
The fact that you need to create an account on the developers servers makes this a no-brainer.
I honestly don't understand indie developers who make a game in such a competitive field as the multi-player only action game field, do not look at usability?
To be able to draw in people, you need to make it easy for them to play a game, whether it's a huge MMO or a quick match of shooting pixel dudes, and it's pretty telling that according to SteamCharts, this game peaked at 21 concurrent players.

Platypus
A very simple shmup done as claymation with a bitchin' C64 remix soundtrack.

Third Eye Crime
This game plays like a simple variant of Monaco, where you are a thief that needs to escape rooms and avoid detection by the watchmen.
Your "third eye" is able to "see" where the watchmen will most likely think you are and thus you need to stay away from those areas and also avoid their field of vision cones.
Graphics are simple but with a nice artistic style and the soundtrack is jazzy and noir-ish and it oozes atmosphere.
There are also plenty of things to do for completionists as there are 3 goals for each scene to be able to make a perfect run.
Only real complaint is the lazyness in not changing words like "Swipe", as the mouse handling is perfect and I probably wouldn't have noticed this was a mobile port if not for that.

Heileen 3: New Horizons
It's a visual novel from White Wolf...
While the game might be awesome for fans of visual novels, I can't stand the genre, so I can't in good faith recommend the game to others.

Chicken Shoot Gold + Chicken Shoot 2
You shoot chickens in a video game and the only thing missing is a lightgun.
I was about to say "Go play Chicken Shoot 2" but that's just more of the same and it's all pretty boring.

1000 Amps
I'm usually not into platformers and definitely not these low res things, but this one is dragged me in, and I needed to light up just one more room before doing something else.

Data Jammers: FastForward
A Runner-like game in a Tron-like style.

Deadly 30
Yet another shuffling zombie game in the endless onslaught of mediocre zombie games.

Incoming Forces
Some old 3D action space flying shooter. Could also be Derek Smart's latest game.

Larva Mortus
A decently entertaining top-down twin-stick shooter with a gothic horror theme. Levels are procedurally generated and the player stats are persistent through games.

Echo of the Wilds
Survival and crafting while eating mushrooms and having weird dreams.
I don't need a game to describe my everyday life, thank you very much.

Huntsman - The Orphanage Halloween Edition
2spooky4me

Ghost Master
I'm not really sure here. You have to scare people out of a building. Boring and has not aged well.

Puddle
Very nice looking liquid physics puzzler.

Storm
Beautiful and relaxing physics puzzler with some strange choices made for controls, as the game is handled by mouse and the menu by keyboard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Wallace & Gromit in "The Bogey Man" - The weakest Telltale series lands with a thud. The first two acts are honestly not that bad as far as mid-era Telltale goes, but the third act is such a ridiculously contrived excuse to not take the game to a new location (the game of golf is played in Wallace's neighboorhood streets rather than on an actual course) that the tedium is born anew. They really couldn't have just designed a golf course? You just have grass and trees!! You can make it in a random terrain generator!! drat!!

BEATEN: Mars War Logs - Jank time :getin: Mars War Logs is actually pretty fun, the combat is not too bad, you level up very rapidly, decent skill trees, very small environments so running around doing quests doesn't take forever, and you're never in one area for very long. I like short games and this one ran maybe 4-5 hrs.

BEATEN: Afterfall Insanity - Not quite as fun, but even jankier, and even more ridiculous. Has a couple of plot twists that are so dumb they have to be witnessed first-hand. The game is Dead Space's handicapped little brother, the Tiny Tim of Dead Spaces, with an aquarium tank full of second-language English 'charm' and voice acting. Once you start this game even if you don't like it you will feel obligated to finish it, just to see how dumb it gets.

BEATEN: Shadowrun Returns - I really don't like tactics RPGs but this one clicked with me for whatever reason. Maybe because it was very short, or because combat was sparsely sprinkled across the story so it had that proper D&D campaign feel. I'll have to try Dragonbutt or whatever the DLC is called.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed Revelations - It has some improvements, obviously it's a half step down from Brotherhood, but none of the Ezio games match up to Black Flag. The art style in this game was just weird, and it felt kind of drab at times. You go from one giant drab brown-palette city to a small drab brown-palette cave city. The fast travel was mercifully unlocked from the start, and the parachute and ziplines are nice amenities, but I still think these games hurt themselves by having TOO LARGE of open worlds with not enough to do in them. I wished Constantinople was the size of the cave city, to be honest.

ONGOING: Dead Island, and I'm not sure what else is next. I'm considering Chronicles of Riddick despite the TAGES DRM. Enslaved is on deck. I will see if I can get my controller actually working with Binary Domain.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm starting to feel a little nauseous after another day of working my way through bundle crap. I should really, really stop buying them :(

Nulled/Uninstalled/No Interest

7,62 High Calibre
It's a pretty bad Jagged Alliance game. I simply couldn't be assed to figure the game out before I had enough.

8-Bit Commando
An 8 bit Contra clone with chip tunes and the works. Probably fun if you enjoy those types of games, but I saw them better on the C64.

Aeon Command
2D space strategy. I honestly can't see the fun part of being pummeled to death in the tutorial just because I needed to speed read whatever was written on the screen. At least pause the gameplay while teaching me the basics.

Aerena
A turn-based arena fighter game turned F2P and probably P2W. Played the tutorial and a regular match and it was OK. Nice steampunk graphics style and everything felt quite polished.

Blockstorm
A blocky FPS, co-created by the IndieGala people. I don't enjoy the art style and it honestly didn't feel that fun doing regular Deathmatch. Perhaps I had just chosen a lovely class and loadout, and perhaps the other dude on the server was just not into it either but halfway through the match, I apologized for wasting both his and my own time and quit.

Boo Bunny Plague
The only fun thing about this game, is the title. Everything else screams lovely 3rd person brawler with bad level design and someone who found a shader that looks like Borderlands. Oh and the developers also have a lovely rock band and felt like the bunny needed to sing all the time.

Borealis
Imagine the classic arcade game Missile Command. Instead of stopping the missiles, you are now a snowflake in outer space and you need to avoid them in the most chill way possible.
It's both calming and frantic planning at the same time, as you can't move fast. Pretty cool ambient soundscapes and background graphics too.

Deadly Sin 2
Classic RPG Maker game with angsty teen animu faces and a story, only a person who is mentally around 12 years old would find interesting.

Flower Shop: Summer In Fairbrook
For those who still are looking for their perfect waifu, here is yet another Visual Novel the smart, handsome but misunderstood boy (You!) have to go through so, so much pain of doing menial tasks and help other people, just so you can get into the pants (or probably just kiss) of 4 girls. Well I guess 4 girls as you get an achievement for each.
There might be a hidden achievement for scoring Uncle Sam and his cat, but I don't want to know about it.

Heavy Fire: Afghanistan
I absolutely loved Typing of the Dead, especially because the developer also included the lightgun version, where you had to use the mouse.
The story was also 110% over the top grindhouse, which helped make you want to see more.
Imagine the mouse only version, without any fun story and even more on rails, and you have HF:A. Production values are high, so I guess the Marine Corps sponsored it, as this feels more like a promotional tool to get young men and women to join up, than to show the lovely horrors of war.
I felt my brain seeping out of my ears halfway through mission 3. Hoorah or something.

IHF Handball Challenge 12
It has been said that modern handball was invented in Denmark. From the bottom of my heart: I'm sorry!
It's a really lovely sport that is only popular in parts of Europe because some TV stations can't afford to pay for football licenses, so they try and make this sport interesting by promoting it as a huge thing.
I don't really know anything about the game because I could never start a match. I got as far as picking teams, selecting controls, finally figuring out how to cut the music which was bad German hairmetal, and that was it. The Continue button never got enabled and I was stuck in the menues.
I do believe it's actually an action sports game and not a manager sim, but we'll never really know.

Legendary
Good God, so much jank in such short amount of time.
It's an FPS about you, who are a dude that sneaks into a museum, puts a key into Pandoras Box and out comes some legendary monsters that tries to kill you. You got super powers while opening the artifact so you can suck life essence to heal yourself. Oh and the military knows who you are and wants to kill you too.
Dun Dun Duuuuuun!

SpaceForce: Rogue Universe
Uh, it was a 3D space shooter game? Where I got stuck in the tutorial? Yeah, don't know much about that one.

Three Dead Zed
A puzzle platformer where you are a zombie that can change into three different forms.
Graphics were nice and cartoonish, puzzles were good, the switch gimmick worked. Nothing really wrong here except I'm not big on those types of games, but check it out if puzzle platformers are your thing.

Toxic Bunny HD
Another puzzle platformer, but this time I accidentally killed a character that I needed to interact with, in the tutorial. So I couldn't finish the tutorial part and thus couldn't play the game.
Why the developers didn't make sure that couldn't happen, or at least make some kind of comment that you had to start over, I don't know, but it didn't look too good for the rest of the game, so I quit. The controls also sucked.

Beaten/Done

Memories of a Vagabond
Not too proud to admit that I actually finished this RPG Maker game, but then again, I had read it was only 3-4 hours of gameplay and since I haven't finished one since To The Moon, I thought why not.
So, your fiance gets kidnapped by a demon and you get killed but resurrected by some other demon/death dude and now you have to avenge your fiances death - WITH A TWIST IN THE END.
It was decently fun with OK dialog and no info dumps where the author needs to yak on and on about this huge world and all the lore he has dreamt up over the last 10 years and crammed into this RPG Maker title.

Now Playing
I don't really know. I want to play a good game after having played so many lovely bundle games, but can't decide what to start. Probably more of the new Mordor game and something else, like a puzzle thing or an adventure to offset it.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 25, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Blockstorm
Perhaps I had just chosen a lovely class and loadout, and perhaps the other dude on the server was just not into it either but halfway through the match, I apologized for wasting both his and my own time and quit.

The perfect "I nulled a game" review. Congrats.

It's been a while anonymous thread, so here we go. I'm probably due for a poo poo indie game null-a-thon, but that's not what this is about.

Nulled - Cosmic DJ - I haven't posted in this thread for so long that I can no longer remember nulling this game. I kinda remember being annoyed with it though, so I recommend that you don't even bother.
Ohhh yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skdk-tQNGA
gently caress off, game.

Nulled - Gun Monkeys - It was free in some key giveaway. It wasn't worth it. In depth review, courtesy of Tony Phillips. You're welcome.

Nulled - Jet Car Stunts - I don't know what the Hell. Another bundle game that I don't remember getting that I installed for the sole purpose of trimming the backlog by a single title. I guess maybe this might be ok. I don't know. I was terrible at it and never gave it more than 30 minutes or so. Rocket car jumpy game. Kinda like a trackmania with lovely graphics, I guess?

Maybe Later - LA Noire - I weant to like this game. I like Rockstar sandbox games. I was clearly not in the mood for this game at this time. Maybe some other time. There are just too many GTA wanna be sandboxy type games out there that I'd rather play. Later. LA ter. (GET IT?)

Nulled - Love - I have no recollection of playing this. Must be poo poo. gently caress off, Love.

Maybe Later - Miasmata - Like LA Noire, a victim of timing. I wanted to like it, but just wasn't in the mood. I like the idea and enjoyed what little of the game I played (An hour or so). Triangulation for mapping purposes was cool. On the other hand, I just wasn't in the mood. Plus, god drat stop sliding down hills. Still - will probably come back to this later.

Nulled - Super Killer Hornet Or Something - poo poo gently caress OFF BAD SCHMUP. I just want it to be 1993 and I'm playing Raiden again is that so hard?

Finished - The Walking Dead Season 2 - I like this poo poo. A lot. That's all. There are likely hundreds of reviews online that go really in deapth if you're interested. Go find one of them. If you liked the first one and were for some reason waiting for the second season to be completed and go on sale before picking it up - well, it's done now. Grab it at a Steam Winter sale near you.

Finished - The Wolf Among Us - What the Hell? TWD weirdo fairy tale themed cousin. I had this on my wish list for a while and a friend bought it for me during the Summer sale. Played through it having no idea of what the story was about. I don't know what I thought it was about, but Bigby Wolf wasn't it. Yeah yeah yeah, the story kinda goes off the rails in the last fire chapters, but this is still prety good. Nearly but not quite TWD good. Grab it on sale during a Steam Sale and then play it.

Finished - Metro Last Light + DLC : Holy crap. One of the best looking FPS games I have ever played. Probably the best looking. loving gorgeous. I liked Metro 2033 a lot. I don't think this was as good story wise - too much voodoo bullshit for my taste. But as far as Russian post apocalyptic on rails FPS games goes - this is a great way to waste a few hours. Apparently no longer available due to the redux version, but whatever. Pick it up if.when it gets stupid cheap. DLCs ranged from dumb and worthless (the tower stuff.) to kinda interesting (Developers pack) to kinda nice, but way too short first person add on missions. Get the vanilla version if it saves you a few bucks.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tony Phillips posted:

Nulled - Love - I have no recollection of playing this. Must be poo poo. gently caress off, Love.

Love is over in like 20 minutes if you're bad at it. You may in fact have beaten it. It's kinda cute, really. :3

Tony Phillips posted:

Nulled - Super Killer Hornet Or Something - poo poo gently caress OFF BAD SCHMUP. I just want it to be 1993 and I'm playing Raiden again is that so hard?

Let me save you some money, if I'm not too late: Raiden Legacy is garbage and you shouldn't buy it. They're basically unplayable even on the PC, and they don't have the one Raiden game I enjoyed playing in arcades back in the day.

---

As for me, I've mostly been playing infinite games like Hexcells Infinite and revisiting older games that got updates, like Dustforce. Haven't really had a lot of sustained gaming time lately.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ManxomeBromide posted:

Let me save you some money, if I'm not too late: Raiden Legacy is garbage and you shouldn't buy it. They're basically unplayable even on the PC, and they don't have the one Raiden game I enjoyed playing in arcades back in the day.

Saw it a few weeks or so ago and nearly sprained my wrist adding it to my cart. Then I saw the reviews. So universally bad. So so bad. Didn't buy it.

To each their own and all, but drat I wish more schmups would get it right. (Right being "what I like") Only Jamestown has really come close.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Still not a lot of progress for me, since I've been really busy. Completing a room or two per week of Full Bore is about all I can do. I added Wasteland 2 to my play queue though, because it's loving Wasteland 2!

My lists at the moment are;

Play:
Full Bore
Gone Home
Wasteland 2

Clean up:
Mark of the Ninja

I could really do with a game I can casually play with mouse only. Any suggestions? If it's been in a recent bundle, I most likely have it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Finished - Antichamber: This is a first person puzzle platformer close to Portal and Q.U.B.E. but with quite abstract (yet interesting and sometimes pretty looking) design and a gameplay that is bit harder to get used to (or understand how exactly it works ). The game has only a marginal story, though it has a clear beginning and an ending. It also has a few (two that I have spotted) stuff in it that seem left unfinished (to be fair both of these are considered secrets).

It has metroidvania elements in the sense that you are not expected to solve every puzzle from the beginning; you can revisit every *visited* location on the map almost at every moment and you will get "upgrades" to the main game mechanic that will enable you to progress to new locations. Some of the puzzles can be solved with a bit of effort even when you have not upgraded your "weapon" to the level where most of them would be a breeze to get through.

The game fucks with your perception of the world a lot, and it will troll you constantly, and also more often than not you will think that you are solving a puzzle by "breaking" the game's rules (you are actually expected to experiment and hard). I found most of the puzzles challenging in a good way and was able to solve them on my own, minus two which were both related to the same extended puzzle. One of those two puzzles, pretty much expects you to experiment with what you have got, get lucky, and then interpret that luck as a game's rule -because it is. The other one is one of those lovely puzzles where you know what to do but it is tedious and a real bitch to do it, especially when the controls and camera are not ideal for that sort of thing.

There are no achievements for this game even though its design begs for some obvious ones. Yet, I've put some 10+ hours into this game, playing casually and going got the full collectibles/secrets.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

AbstractNapper posted:

Finished - Antichamber: This is a first person puzzle platformer close to Portal and Q.U.B.E. but with quite abstract (yet interesting and sometimes pretty looking) design and a gameplay that is bit harder to get used to (or understand how exactly it works ). The game has only a marginal story, though it has a clear beginning and an ending. It also has a few (two that I have spotted) stuff in it that seem left unfinished (to be fair both of these are considered secrets).

It has metroidvania elements in the sense that you are not expected to solve every puzzle from the beginning; you can revisit every *visited* location on the map almost at every moment and you will get "upgrades" to the main game mechanic that will enable you to progress to new locations. Some of the puzzles can be solved with a bit of effort even when you have not upgraded your "weapon" to the level where most of them would be a breeze to get through.

The game fucks with your perception of the world a lot, and it will troll you constantly, and also more often than not you will think that you are solving a puzzle by "breaking" the game's rules (you are actually expected to experiment and hard). I found most of the puzzles challenging in a good way and was able to solve them on my own, minus two which were both related to the same extended puzzle. One of those two puzzles, pretty much expects you to experiment with what you have got, get lucky, and then interpret that luck as a game's rule -because it is. The other one is one of those lovely puzzles where you know what to do but it is tedious and a real bitch to do it, especially when the controls and camera are not ideal for that sort of thing.

There are no achievements for this game even though its design begs for some obvious ones. Yet, I've put some 10+ hours into this game, playing casually and going got the full collectibles/secrets.

I liked Antichamber even though I didn't expect to at first. It was one of those rare puzzle games where I didn't feel tempted to peek constantly at an online FAQ or walkthrough to figure out the solution.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I could really do with a game I can casually play with mouse only. Any suggestions? If it's been in a recent bundle, I most likely have it.

Post a link to your game list.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
^^^ http://steamcommunity.com/id/GabbyGabe/games/?tab=all

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

If you just want to chill with some puzzles, play some Obulis and Splice. You have them already. Also check out the Hexcells games and of course Everyday Genius: SquareLogic.

OK, I went through some of the games I installed long ago but never played plus a few bundle games.

Done/Beaten/Completed

Mystery Case FIles: PrimeSuspects
Yeah, I needed some Hidden Object after all the crap I've been wading through lately. Standard old-school HOG fare without any adventure-light elements.

Samorost 2
I finished it back when it came out and had installed it on Steam but never played it here. Ran through everything and it was just as lovely as back when it came out.

The Stanley Parable
I have no idea why I didn't play this right away when it got released. I played through the demo several times and loved it, but somehow the full game got buried.
I ended up having seen four or five different endings and that's perfectly fine by me. I might come back another time and go through it more systematically to get all the branches but for now I'm good.
An absolute great experience!

Universe Sandbox
Just like a multiplayer game or any other sandbox game, you can't really "finish" them, but you can feel that you've been entertained enough by them. Pretty fun to set up poo poo and see it react to other things.

Nulled/Uninstalled

Deus Ex: GOTY Ed.
I guess I had plans to play this before the new Deus Ex game out, but never got around to it. Played a bit but quickly lost interest.

Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2
A horror games without any closet-jumping monsters. It built up a good atmosphere, but I had to strain my eyes so much, I started getting a headache.
Most of it felt like a 3D platformer in a very dark environment.
These types of games are either too scary for me or so dark, I can't see poo poo.

Far Cry
I originally played this up until the Trigens arrived and then said gently caress that poo poo. I apparently had planned to play it again as it was installed. Ran through most of the first level until I got utterly bored. It was good back in the day. Now? Not so much.

Nicole (otome version)
It's about a girl starting out a new generic location where she don't know anyone. Every day she can decide if she should work to earn money, study, do social stuff or other activities that affect her stats. She also has to try get a boyfriend. You know, like every other visual novels...
This one also has some kind of mystery associated with it, but I'm pretty sure it's not some social commentary about date raping and fraternity culture.

Runespell: Overture
A fun little card based strategy game, where you play some kind of poker against monsters, do a bit of RPGing and try and solve the big fantasy mystery.
Held my interest for about 3 hours, then it started to repeat itself.

The Secret of Monkey Island SE and Monkey Island 2 SE
I wanted to play them again in the updated versions, and while I really love these games, it felt like a chore to do so, so I quit. Got to see the enhancements on both games and it's great they are available, but yeah...

Space Quest Collection
Another adventure series I had planned to replay, though I only had played the first couple of SQ games back in the day. This was just way too dated for me.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 26, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Fart of Presto posted:

Deus Ex: GOTY Ed.
I guess I had plans to play this before the new Deus Ex game out, but never got around to it. Played a bit but quickly lost interest.
I'd just point out that the original game takes some while to really get going. While the first level exhibits the basic idea of being able to finish it in several different ways, it's still one of the most boring ones, your skill levels at the beginning are so low you can't even aim straight, and the story hasn't moved anywhere yet. Give it a chance sometime, it doesn't say GOTY for nothing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

pigdog posted:

I'd just point out that the original game takes some while to really get going. While the first level exhibits the basic idea of being able to finish it in several different ways, it's still one of the most boring ones, your skill levels at the beginning are so low you can't even aim straight, and the story hasn't moved anywhere yet. Give it a chance sometime, it doesn't say GOTY for nothing.
Yeah I know it's a classic, but having over 1100 unplayed games, if a game doesn't catch me within 30 minutes of me starting it up, it's uninstalled.
I might miss out on some great experiences, but I don't have time enough to slog through 1/3 of a game before it picks up.

Compare it to a new TV show. Sure you might give the pilot episode a chance, but are you willing to sit through 8 episodes, because people have said it gets good later on?
Of course the comparison falls apart because after the pilot episode, you can just read plot summaries of those 8 episodes and BAM you are up to date and ready to watch when the awesomeness unfolds on your screen.
I guess something like playing the tutorial and then load a save game from someone else could work, but yeah, we all know it's not the same :)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

If it makes you feel any better, I played the first 3 levels of Deus Ex and I still can't get into it. The game's just aged too much at this point. I also feel the same way about Half-Life, that was probably my favorite game of all time, but I couldn't even get through the first few levels of the recent Black Mesa remake.

I'm sure I would have loved Deus Ex if I bought years ago though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you null Deus Ex you are literally dead to me. How could I trust any one of your opinions ever again? And... goddamn, making GBS threads on Half-Life as well? What the gently caress is happening right now?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I first played Deus Ex and Half-Life back in, like, 2009 and think they're both really great games that have aged fairly well. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I played the first 3 levels of Deus Ex and I still can't get into it. The game's just aged too much at this point.

I actually bought Deus Ex fairly recently (a bit before Human Revolution came out, I specifically remember my playthroughs overlapping), and to me its age was actually a big appeal. Everything about it, from the moment you boot up the game and hear that music, just screams 'turn of the millennium sci-fi'. The gameplay hasn't aged well, but I felt like it aged well enough; it's got that very specific flavor of RPG elements that was popular around that time, but just isn't around anymore.

It probably doesn't hold up if you go into it expecting a modern masterpiece. But if you let yourself get transported back to 1999 by its sheer 1999-itude, then it's basically the perfect time capsule game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hey now I'd never poo poo on Half-Life, it's still probably my top FPS. I just don't have any desire to replay it again. Black Mesa was a great idea but it just came a few years too late for me, I tapped out when I got to the first crouch jumping puzzle and died repeatedly :(

Deus Ex is different because I never played it before, and the old school gameplay is the thing that keeps me from getting into it.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

If you just want to chill with some puzzles, play some Obulis and Splice. You have them already. Also check out the Hexcells games and of course Everyday Genius: SquareLogic.
Obulis looks cool. Installing it and adding it to my play list.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An entire week without a new post in here!! What the gently caress!!

BEATEN: Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay - Talked about this a lot in the Steam thread but one of the most gorgeous games to come from 10 years ago. And it plays great too. Beat people up, blast em, sneak around. Do sidequests. And be an idiot badass with Vin Diesel's incredible, incredible, incredible voice acting.

BEATEN: Borderlands 2 - Uhhhhmmmmmmmmm I mean I beat it. I guess I did that. When they do Borderlands 3 (and I don't mean the Pre-Sequel) they really need to actually fix some poo poo or I'm not going to bother.

BEATEN: Jazzpunk - If Stanley Parable built a game around a narrative playground, Jazzpunk is an easter egg playground. Every easter egg you've ever encountered in any other type of game, is the type of result they want you to search for here. Hidden games (WEDDING QAKE), weird sequences, intentionally pointless sidequests. If something can be interacted with, INTERACT WITH IT. A LOT.

BEATEN: The Room - Awesome, but short, puzzle game. Looks dramatically better than it did on iOS. You'll complete it in one setting but you'll feel really smart as you do. It's satisfying as gently caress to figure out every little component of these larger puzzle boxes. Hopefully the sequel comes to Steam soon.

BEATEN: Penny Arcade Episode 4 - Another solid Zeboyd RPG with a terrible no good very bad Penny Arcade candy shell. A completely impenetrable story at this point. I can only hope Zeboyd's next game is something, ANYTHING else.

BEATEN: Home - Hmm, it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The ending kind of allows you to almost write the ending yourself, in a way. I'll need to play it again because I missed a few things here or there.

ONGOING: Dead Island, Deadly Premonition, Enslaved, The Last Remnant, Knock Knock, Amnesia Pigs

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

An entire week without a new post in here!! What the gently caress!!

4 days :spergin:

COMPLETED: X I: Beyond the Frontier. Both the design and technical aspects have aged poorly, but I still loved it enough to put 60 hours into it, including finishing the main storyline. However, it's a major annoyance that you can't really make money by bounty hunting like you can in Elite. The game more-or-less demands you build your own space stations if you want to afford the best weapons and equipment. Overall, despite the fun I had, I can't recommend it to everyone. Only a small number of people would enjoy putting up with its flaws.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty VII: Black Ops I. The gameplay wasn't quite as smooth and well-designed as MWII, but the plot was better. The plot is admittedly just an action thriller-style excuse for a series of exciting gunfights, but at least there were no major plot holes like MWII had. Just ignore that the events of BOI would have most likely caused a full-scale nuclear exchange between America and Russia.

COMPLETED: Majesty II: Kingmaker. The first expansion to Majesty II is kinda bland and uninteresting, but it never became as geniunely frustrating as the second half of the base game's campaign got.

COMPLETED: Tomb Raider 2013. I'm not quite sure what to think of this. The moving, platforming and puzzle bits were smooth and polished, but combat was a bit sketchy and the plot was a little generic. It never completely abandoned the interesting parts in favour of boring gunfights the way L.A Noire did, but it's somewhat lacking substance if you're not interested in picking up all the collectibles.

Ultimately, it's still worth playing, but the future of the series is in doubt because Square is following the incredibly irritating footsteps of Bioware and Ubisoft: pushing parts of the core plot into the Expanded Universe. There is already a novel and a 12-part comic that covers the gap between this game and the next one, and that sort of poo poo really shouldn't be supported with money or praise.

Up next: It's Crappy Fantasy RPG time; either Beyond Divinity or Dragon Age II. I'm leaning towards DAII, because I've actually heard at least some praise for that. I've never heard a single word in support of BD. After that, I'll play something actually good, and get started on the Bioshock series. Even the worst Bioshock game, number 2, generally gets nothing worse than "It's more of the same, but basically alright."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
BEATEN - Outlast: Whistleblower A decent piece of DLC but it doesn't really take the story anywhere and it's not nearly as tense as the original game since you know everything that's coming but if you liked Outlast here's more of it.

BEATEN - Race the Sun Or at least I got to level 25 and unlocked everything. Neat game and the Steam Workshop stuff is rad. :toot:

BEATEN - Shadow of Mordor Rad as hell.

BEATEN - Jazzpunk What Quest For Glory II said. Great game with a wonderfully clever sense of humor.

BEATEN - Transistor Didn't like it as much as Bastion but that's a pretty high standard to hold it too. Great art, great music, and interesting combat with a sweet abilities system but man did the sleepy, one-note tone of the game grate on my after a while. Still a good game but something loving show some emotion or something Imma fall asleep.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Beat:

Saints Row IV: For whatever reason open-world superpower games always manage to sink their claws into me (read: Infamous), and this game was no different. The superpowers are a blast to use and I'm glad they are easy to level up and do so early on. I know this game basically started out as Saint's Row 3.5, and I guess I can't harp on Volition too much due to the insane THQ situation, but man, this game really felt like Saint's Row 3.5 at times. My biggest gripe is the fact they take away your powers on so many missions. Also, is it just me or was the radio selection kinda bare?

Home: This game mostly just bored me, and although the idea of a branching thriller storyline seems interesting, I have no desire to go back anytime soon.

Marlow Briggs: A budget God of War taken to the next level with the camp and explosions and rear end-kicking. Lots of stupid fun to be had here featuring Pierce from Saint's Row and Steve Blum. Look out for it in the next sale, it gets super cheap. Bonus: sometimes Marlow shouts "Sleet, sleet, sleet!" when you use the ice magic.

Deadlight: A somewhat clumsy 2D action game featuring zombies. The story is the same one you've seen before a million times. The game isn't terrible but it's biggest strength is that it's only 4-5 hours long. I felt that the ending was so stupid that it sorta worked.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: I actually really liked AW when it first came out, combat included. The combat this time around seemed better, albeit easier, and the new weapons were a lot of fun. I admit to sticking to the uzi almost the entire time though. The game's main "gimmick" wasn't that bad. The AW story still makes no sense to me.

Puzzle Agent 2: It's been awhile since I've played through the first, but I felt like this one just kind of fell flat. The humor didn't really work for me this time, and none of the puzzles really stood out.

Onto Steamworld Dig...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beaten - Alien Rage A sometimes fun, sometimes aggravating C level shooter. Graphics are Unreal Engine as gently caress, story is garbage, design is terrible, and it's impossible above the lowest difficulty but if you like shooting things and making stuff explode boy does this game have that.

Nulled - UnEpic Man I dunno, I want to like this game but I really don't like the combat and there are some design choices that I've got serious beef with. I really don't think I'm going to beat it.

e:

Beaten - Knock-Knock A cool looking game with some neat ideas that are actually pretty cool once you learn them but the game doesn't give a gently caress about teaching them to you leaving you to wallow in tedium I mean hell, even once you learn the rules the game still isn't very "fun" but at least it's a game. I dunno about this one.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 4, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Amnesia A Machine For Pigs - Uh so I knew this was a bad game going in but I didn't know the story was THIS idiotic. Did they ever even explain what the machine did?? Why were they turning people into pigmen?? It seems like they had three different ideas for stories and forgot which one they were doing multiple times. There's a point in the game where pigmen are terrorizing a city and it's like.. am I playing an Amnesia game?? I mean what is this poo poo??

BEATEN: Knock Knock - This is weird to talk about because like Yodzilla says, the game is actually straightforward but not only does the game not hold your hand but it actually intentionally will mislead or lie to you about the game's rules at times. Which I guess is Ice Pick Lodge's thing. I did not get the good ending because apparently a sanity meter appears halfway through the game and you have to beat the game within a time limit, or else you get the bad ending and your only choice is to start over all the way from the beginning. I just looked the good ending up on Youtube, whatever.

BEATEN: Master Reboot - Disappointing first person adventure about diving into memories. Ether One did it way better. A cool aesthetic in screenshots translates to a relatively low budget execution in motion. I would pass on this if you see it on sale. Buy Ether One.

BEATEN: Detective Grimoire - We'll probably never have Phoenix Wright on Steam, but Grimoire is almost identical to the Investigation portions of the Phoenix Wright games. You walk from location to location, talking to witnesses, presenting clues to them, presenting character profiles to them, and putting them on the spot on occasion. There are also some Layton-esque puzzles that are all pretty easy because it's probably an all-ages game (despite being about solving a murder). Cute, (very) short game to get on sale.

ONGOING: Dead Island, Deadly Premonition, Enslaved, The Last Remnant, The Room Two, Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Brutal Legend

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I believe the makers of Grimoire said he was based on Gumshoe, actually.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay I had a post typed up and somehow lost it so I will say I beat Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Transistor and Deadly Premonition which put me at 50% Beaten on SteamCompletionist so here are the games I beat over the last 5 months to get there:

quote:

Afterfall Insanity
Albedo Eyes From Outer Space
Alpha Protocol
Al Emmo
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Arkham Origins
rear end Creed II
rear end Creed Brotherhood
rear end Creed Revelations
rear end Creed IV: Black Flag
Battleblock Theater
Bioshock Infinite
Bone Ep 2
Bookworm Deluxe
Borderlands 2
Botanicula
Broken Age
Brothers Tale of Two Sons
Bulletstorm
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Chronicles of Riddick
Chronology
Cognition
Dark Fall I
Dark Fall II
Dead Space
Deadlight
Deadly Premonition
Detective Case & Clown Bot
Defender's Quest
Detective Grimoire
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: The Fall
Dishonored
Escape Goat
Ether One
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
FEAR
FEAR Extraction Point
FEAR Perseus Mandate
Finding Teddy
Five Nights at Freddy's
Full Bore
Gunpoint
Gone Home
Goodbye Deponia
Gray Matter
Hard Reset
Hitman: Absolution
Home
Jazzpunk
Knock Knock
Left 4 Dead
Lilly Looking Through
Little Inferno
LOVE+
Marlow Briggs
Mars War Logs
Master Reboot
Max Payne 3
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Nightmares From the Deep
Nikopol
Outlast
Only If
PA Episode 4
Papers Please
Papo & Yo
Prince of Persia 08
Puzzle Bots
RAGE
Red Faction: Armageddon
Remember Me
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Scratches
Serena
Shadowrun Returns
Shovel Knight
Story About My Uncle
Strider
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Teslagrad
Testament of Sherlock Holmes
The Bureau: XCOM
The Cat Lady
The Darkness
The Expendabros
The Fall
The Inner World
The Room
The Swapper
Thi4f
Tiny Barbarian DX
To The Moon
Tomb Raider
Transistor
Walking Dead S2
Wallace & Gromit Ep 2
Wallace & Gromit Ep 3
Wallace & Gromit Ep 4
Wolf Among Us
Zeno Clash

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Okay I had a post typed up and somehow lost it so I will say I beat Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Transistor and Deadly Premonition which put me at 50% Beaten on SteamCompletionist so here are the games I beat over the last 5 months to get there:
That's pretty drat impressive. I sometimes take in 10-15 games within a period of 14 days, but usually only a couple are completed - the rest are nulled within half an hour.

Here are a bunch of nulled games:

Akane the Kunoichi
A platformer that looks like a lovely Amiga/Atari ST game and plays even worse. There might be cool things showing up later on, but I couldn't be bothered to play it more than 10-15 minutes.
Small levels like a mobile game are unlocked so you can skip forward quickly when you die.

Bravada
Everything points to this being a port of a mobile game, but it was fun enough as a very casual turn based strategy game with a bit of inventory handling and stat progression.

Burning Cars
Race around tracks, grab upgrades and shoot other cars. It's one of those micro cars games with an isometric viewpoint, but menues and handling sucks, it's eastern european as gently caress and there is no gamepad support.

Chronology
This was actually a very pretty puzzle platformer with a cool mechanic where you switch between two time zones and the landscape and buildings/platforms changes slightly to make you progress. Graphics are really good and everything felt polished.
I didn't play enough to fully explore all the gimmicks and tools you get as I actually got stuck at one point and couldn't figure out how to move on, so if you enjoy puzzle platformers, definitely keep an eye out for this one and grab it on sale.

Crazy Plant Shop
It's a shop manager with some god awful voice work. Horrible but had cards.

Completed

Crystals of Time
Finished up this Hidden Object game while I was waiting for someone at work to end his task. Lots of backtracking on the map but graphics were hand drawn and look really nice.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 8, 2014

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled some more games from the old backlog today:

Asteria
It looked and acted like one of those games where you mine and craft in a 2D scifi setting. These type of games do not interest me at all.

Bardbarian
A "tower defense"-like where you can have 3 "tower" follow you around and you try and make them kill the invaders. Got bored after the 3rd level.

Battle Group 2
A mobile port of a fancy Missile Command variant with upgradable weapons and shields.

BattleBlock Theater
At first a really fun and polished puzzle platformer and then they ruined it by suddenly adding timed levels.

Battlepaths
Turn based casual RPG. I finished the first realm in a couple of hours and I believe there are 4 in all. Plenty of better ones out there.

Battlepillars Gold Edition
Another 2D "tower defense" type of game. Build up your caterpillars and let them defend against the horde of other caterpillars. Pretty drat boring.

Battleplan: American Civil War
The only reason I nulled this, is that I'm just not a fan of strategy games. I played through the tutorial and it really looks polished and was easy to understand.
Definitely check it out if you are a fan of the genre.

BeatBlasters III
A puzzle platformer with lovely EDM music.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 9, 2014

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Fart of Presto posted:

BattleBlock Theater
At first a really fun and polished puzzle platformer and then they ruined it by suddenly adding timed levels.

I see you hate timed levels as much as I do. This usually ruins the fun and ends up being nothing but a gimmick. A pity to know they did so, I haven't played that far yet.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I see you hate timed levels as much as I do. This usually ruins the fun and ends up being nothing but a gimmick. A pity to know they did so, I haven't played that far yet.
It might only be one level in each act but it was enough for me to stop playing right away. Until then it was really charming and had fun puzzles.
It's not often I enjoy platformers but this one had potential right up until the timer started :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

It might only be one level in each act but it was enough for me to stop playing right away. Until then it was really charming and had fun puzzles.
It's not often I enjoy platformers but this one had potential right up until the timer started :(
You aren't missing much, the charm wears off when you realize every zone feels the same as every other zone. Since the mapping is super tile/grid-based it feels like every level is made in the same editor that comes with the game which ends up leading to a bland sameness that builds up and up and up. I don't know how I even completed it.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Beat:

Bayonetta (WII U): I'm really glad I finally sunk my teeth into this game. I used to really not dig Platinum's stuff, but that's quickly changing. Bayonetta is so much fun, and this port is pretty good, frame rate issues aside. It was really cool for Nintendo to throw it in with Bayonetta 2. I'm going to eventually mess around with the character costumes but I really want to dive right into Bayonetta 2. Funny, I always think I'm getting better at Platinum's games until I see all of those stone and bronze medals :(

Papo and Yo: A nice little game that really didn't overstay it's welcome. The puzzles were very easy and the platforming provided no challenge but I thought the augmented reality and setting were effective. I liked the idea behind an AI "partner" that both helps and hurts you. The story will probably stick with me for a while, and I feel that the creator accomplished what he set out to do very well.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill: Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous games ever made. The jank is really charming and the typing actually made the game really engaging. I might check out some of the DLC language packs when they hit a sale. The final cutscene will forever be burned into my brain.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

It was getting a bit dreary towards the end, but it managed to entertain me overall despite being a genre I'm generally pretty burned out on (the isometric hack-and-slash lootfest). I played with the DLC as a mad scientist and gave Katarina the blueblood skills so she could melee tank pretty effectively for me. I probably won't ever revisit it, but I might give the sequel a look someday.

Null: .hack//MUTATION, .hack//OUTBREAK, .hack//QUARANTINE

.hack//INFECTION was pretty fun back when it came out, and I actually really liked all the touches they added to make a plausible MMORPG inside a singleplayer game. That said, it could get really repetitive and there's no way I'm going to have the patience to play through three more games of that.

Null: The Fall

I love the premise, but the gameplay is all > USE THING ON OTHER THING plus some lovely combat and the controls are awful. And it's apparently episode one in what will undoubtedly be a eternally unfinished episodic series after the developer runs out of either money or giving-a-poo poo halfway through the second game like all the rest. I think it would work better as (a) a text adventure and (b) a finished game.

Null: Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

A high-detail, small scale, real time, hard SF tactics game in deep space. I love this. Or rather, I love the first chapter of it.

After that, the hard science goes out the window, your awesome nuclear cruiser gets replaced with a magic alien wondertech ship, and the difficulty spikes absurdly. I have never completed the level with the siege laser, even cheating so that I could completely respec my ships between missions (by default you're only allowed to swap out a few components between each mission). I love the concept but I am not nearly masochistic enough for the game as implemented, which is a shame because I would play the poo poo out of an actually well done Ground Control/Homeworld mashup.

Null: Journeyman Project

I played JP3: Legacy of Time as a kid and loved it, but JP1 doesn't hold up very well. It's not so much the graphics as the fact that the whole thing moves appallingly slowly and there's no way to quickmove or skip animations. :suicide: If this is actually JP Turbo (I'm not sure which version the GOG release is based on), I shudder to think what the original animations were like. Possibly JP: Pegasus Prime improves things -- I even still have a PowerMac VM set up from when I was playing Pathways into Darkness! -- but it's impossible to find anywhere.

Null: Eldritch

I can't put my finger on why I don't enjoy this game, because on paper it sounds right up my alley. But I don't.

Null: Teleglitch: Die More Edition

The graphics are awful, there are hitscan enemies that can kill you almost instantly from full health and can only reliably be detected ahead of time if you have the sound on (which I often don't), there's no mid-level saves and the checkpointing system is brain-damaged. No, Teleglitch, gently caress you. At least it was free.

Beaten: Tower of Guns

Short but fun. For $1 I'd say I easily got my money's worth.

Now Playing: King's Bounty: Crossworlds

I never finished KB: The Legend, but I did play a shitload of it and enjoyed it until it got really boring towards the end (playing as a mage may have contributed to this). KB:CW is an expandalone that includes an upgraded version of the second game, KB: Armoured Princess, so this basically counts as both games.

Now Playing: DoomRL

Laptop game. I'm working on a dgamelaunch-like DoomRL server and this means lots of playing DoomRL to test it. Such hardship. I recent won as an Angel of Berserk and I'm working on the other "easymode" Angels, Marksmanship, Shotguns, and Max Carnage, now.

Now Playing: Race the Sun

Laptop game. I try to play at least one round per day, hoping to someday reach level 25. Some of those challenges are complete bullshit, though, and very nearly all of the user-made levels are offensively bad.

:toot: Down to 38.7% unfinished! I haven't had a lot of time to game lately, but a combination of being much more willing to quickly null games I'm not enjoying + not buying very many games this year means that I'm actually on track to beat more games than I add for the first year since I started using backloggery.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 12, 2014

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Hadean Lands. The first game I ever kickstarted, so it's only fair that it's the first kickstarted game I've actually completed. It's a full-scale hard-core puzzle IF with an incredibly powerful goal-seeking AI under the hood to take care of the parts you've already proven you can deal with, and it's flexible enough that it wouldn't be the same if it were the traditional "obstacles stay down once you solve them" mechanic. (A lot of the descriptions imply it's iOS only; it's not. I played it on Windows, and the Humble/Itch purchase ends up being cross-platform, bring-your-own-interpreter, in the classic 2000s mold.)

BEATEN: Pharaoh's Tomb. I don't count free downloads against my backlog, but the 3D Realms reboot got a bunch of old puzzle games I played as a kid released for free. I burned through all of this one and had fun with it, CGA graphics, ultra-janky hit detection, life-preserving savescumming and all.

NULLED: The Monuments of Mars. See above. I hadn't played this but was jazzed to see it because I remember the promos for it on the old shareware disks. It's somehow way jankier than Pharaoh's Tomb despite coming later and cleaning up obvious garbage like the vestigial lives system.

IN PROGRESS: Child of Light, Typing of the Dead Overkill. Mood whiplash is my watchword.

ALSO GOING ON: World of Xeen replay, X-Wing replay, TIE Fighter replay, Dustforce Revisit, Hexcells Infinite Revisit. In case one might wonder why I'm not making a whole lot of progress on the backlog.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fewer games beaten nowadays cause I'm chipping away at the longer games.

BEATEN: The Room Two - Excellent followup to the Room (currently only on mobile). You do all the same things, examining intricate boxes, flipping switches, finding hidden buttons, rotating dials, looking at invisible alien ink with your lens, but now there are additional props to explore like model ships, treasure chests, workspaces, etc. Instead of solving puzzles within the same room you are transported between differently themed rooms with their own little narrative.

BEATEN: Resident Evil 4 - EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. WHADDA YA SELLEN? EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU

BEATEN: Tesla Effect - Like all Tex Murphy games, the final chapters are disappointingly dry (aside from an incredibly goofy-awesome ending FMV with bad greenscreen running (my favorite!!!)), but the first 2/3rds are true to form for the series and considering the small budget they had from the Kickstarter, they did the best job they could. Hopefully they'll be able to make more games, because they seem to leave the door open for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BEATEN: Resident Evil 4 - EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. WHADDA YA SELLEN? EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU

I have to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc