Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Then they get fired. I don't know, that's how it's done at film companies. I can understand that people don't like doing that so they just get all the rough stuff out of the way in the interview process.

And you're right, I actually know a few people with a ton of experience that still suck somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Then they get fired. I don't know, that's how it's done at film companies. I can understand that people don't like doing that so they just get all the rough stuff out of the way in the interview process.

And you're right, I actually know a few people with a ton of experience that still suck somehow.

It is infinitely easier to not hire sometime than it is to fire them. There are $$$ commitments to dealing with a hired person versus a candidate.

HR is horrific all over, not just in the games industry, so a tiny bit of laziness gets you stuff like 40 hour tests instead of designing something that's considerate of people's time. Almost all hiring treats candidates like garbage so it is what it is.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Rawrbomb posted:

The html on that page is stupidly broken, http://ravensoftware.com//job-listing/ this page has actual job listings though. But I had to look at the HTML source to find that out.

Or you could just click where it says "Careers" and choose "Job Listing" from the dropdown. Whatever works for you. :raise:

OwlFancier posted:

You guys make good games.

Shalinor posted:

Ditto. After Singularity bombed, I got the impression you guys were on the ropes. Looks like you moved into contracting on MW, or is there still original IP work going on too (assuming you can say)?

I would dearly love another Wolverine-style wotsit. Still one of my all time favorite action games. Yeah, Wolverine as the character was part of it, but the GAMEPLAY, man, that's what made it.

OwlFancier posted:

For me it's the Jedi Knight games, Quake 4, and Wolfenstein 2009. I always had the feeling that someone at Raven was stuck in a time capsule from the late 90's/early 2000s and hadn't realized that games had moved on, so they were still churning out stuff in the vein of Unreal and Half Life, really traditional and good shooters with great campaigns. But at the same time they did adopt modern FPS components, just conservatively and integrated them into the older style really well. I'd put quite a few Raven games up against Half Life as examples of really incredible designs that work astonishingly well.

Sion posted:

Yo just saying that I kind of loved Singularity.

I can't really say too much about Raven (history or current), other than what's already public. There is a pretty good article on the studio here, if you're interested: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/raven-software

...but thanks for the kind words. I was hired to work on Quake 4, and have been really happy there for 10 years now. Raven's good people.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Yay, FC4 is gold. And it's launching on my birthday. :toot:

theflyingorc posted:

There's thousands of students out there in CS degrees because that's what the school offered who REALLY want Software Engineering degrees, but don't even know that that's A Thing. CS degrees churn out way too many people who came for job skills and left with theory because nobody pointed them in the right direction. :(
It varies heavily, especially in undergraduate studies. I could go on a pretty lengthy tirade about it, but some colleges are appalled at the idea of being used as job training centers and some fully embrace it. Some challenge their undergrad students to solve problems and some waste 4 years making them regurgitate lectures and textbook material. If there's an easy way to figure out which is which, I certainly haven't found it, and unfortunately, I doubt that their applicants have either.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I am hiring in NY for people who work on the platform side of things. Account, Storefront, Community features. Searching for a product manager type rather than coder. Willing to relocate for experienced people.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

aas Bandit posted:

Or you could just click where it says "Careers" and choose "Job Listing" from the dropdown. Whatever works for you. :raise:

I can't really say too much about Raven (history or current), other than what's already public. There is a pretty good article on the studio here, if you're interested: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/raven-software

...but thanks for the kind words. I was hired to work on Quake 4, and have been really happy there for 10 years now. Raven's good people.

Kind of a shot in the dark, but I don't suppose you guys are looking to hire on engineering interns? :shobon:

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Anyone have any familiarity with a Florida studio called Darkside Games? After hearing that some studios will brandish firearms at you, I figured it's good to find out if that's the case from the thread. :)

I heard back from my friend. He likes it there and no one has pointed a gun at him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mega Shark posted:

I heard back from my friend. He likes it there and no one has pointed a gun at him.

I will continue to consider them an option, then. :)

I really appreciate that you specifically asked about the guns thing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Mega Shark posted:

No gun pointing? What a lousy place.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chernabog posted:

No gun pointing? What a lousy place.
We always bring our firearms to the weekly meetings, and try and brandish them at eachother at least once or twice. It builds morale. To celebrate release, I figure one of us will have an accidental discharge, and we'll do team building in the ER.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

Carfax Report posted:

I am hiring in NY for people who work on the platform side of things. Account, Storefront, Community features. Searching for a product manager type rather than coder. Willing to relocate for experienced people.

PM Sent

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Am I the only guy who had a gun pointed at him at work? I don't want this to be a thing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Am I the only guy who had a gun pointed at him at work? I don't want this to be a thing.

I had a brick thrown at me once but it was a foam one.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Do nerf guns count?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shalinor posted:

We always bring our firearms to the weekly meetings, and try and brandish them at eachother at least once or twice. It builds morale. To celebrate release, I figure one of us will have an accidental discharge, and we'll do team building in the ER.

For a while, we tried to have every employee have a machete raised angrily over his head during each meeting, but weak programmer arms tire quickly so we switched back to pistols.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

The only guns I have seen in any game developer (much less that have been pointed at people) have either been nerf, airsoft, or heavy blue rubber/plastic meant to mimic the weight, but not function, of a real gun.

I have known several people with knives but they're either people with pocket knives / multitools or people with goofy "display" daggers that look like they belong to Worf. No one has ever raised one of these in anger or jest.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
You guys work at some weird places with all this gun talk.

Though we did have someone here go to the hospital since he got hit in the eyeball by a nerf gun.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Kind of a shot in the dark, but I don't suppose you guys are looking to hire on engineering interns? :shobon:

Looking specifically for that position? Nope (I checked).

That being said, we're always looking for talented people, and if you have a current portfolio that you think might demonstrate skill/enthusiasm/whatever, I encourage you to send it in.

In the words of our awesome HR person, "We're always looking for diamonds in the rough--tell them to go ahead and apply even if we don't have that specific position listed."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

aas Bandit posted:

We are hiring as well, for a variety of positions (programmers, artists, designers).

It's a good place to work...just sayin'. :)

http://ravensoftware.com/careers

I might apply for junior design, but you guys require a level out of Radiant?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

...Worf...

Nerd alert!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

BizarroAzrael posted:

I might apply for junior design, but you guys require a level out of Radiant?

Not necessarily a complete, functional level, but enough to show a solid knowledge of how to build stuff in the editor, yeah.

Obviously a complete level would be better. :)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mega Shark posted:

Nerd alert!

I am shocked, SHOCKED that you managed to locate a nerd in the video game industry thread. :)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
No nerds here

Just
Badass
Dudes (and dudettes!)

:black101:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

aas Bandit posted:

Will there ever be a SoF3?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Not since the army....

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is GDC Next a thing that people go to? I was thinking about going to see if I could pick up some contract/freelance work, but the only reason I would go is because they gave me a free pass and that doesn't bode well. Also their exhibitor list on their website is like 15 companies...

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Will there ever be a SoF3?

Of course there will.

There are an infinite number of parallel universes out there. It already exists! :downs:

Edit: Hi ATVI legal! That up there? That's a joke, and has nothing to do with any sort of insider knowledge.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 1, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

superh posted:

Dudes (and dudettes!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMODweN8lQ

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

wrong thread...

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Writing tests is not an intern job! I've got a dozen tests here that I should just delete because they were created by interns that are long gone and I have no clue how they work or what they are supposed to do.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

baby puzzle posted:

Writing tests is not an intern job! I've got a dozen tests here that I should just delete because they were created by interns that are long gone and I have no clue how they work or what they are supposed to do.

What's a "test"? Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jan posted:

What's a "test"? Are you sure you're in the right thread?

I'm assuming this vague post is referring to automated testing processes?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm assuming this vague post is referring to automated testing processes?

Most likely, yeah.

My reply was tongue in cheek in that hardly anyone ever bothers writing tests in the games industry. The usual argument is that it costs more time and effort writing and maintaining them than it saves time preventing bugs. I'm not convinced this is true, and it certainly isn't true in the case of licensed engines. UE4 has a massive test base, for sure.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Jan posted:

Most likely, yeah.

My reply was tongue in cheek in that hardly anyone ever bothers writing tests in the games industry. The usual argument is that it costs more time and effort writing and maintaining them than it saves time preventing bugs. I'm not convinced this is true, and it certainly isn't true in the case of licensed engines. UE4 has a massive test base, for sure.

This is a loving mental thing to see. Are you serious about this? That people don't bother writing tests? :psypop:

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Sion posted:

This is a loving mental thing to see. Are you serious about this? That people don't bother writing tests? :psypop:

The 'best' I've ever seen is engineers writing unit tests, but that goes on entirely within their garden. Someone at HMX wrote a tool that would let you record/playback button presses on the 360, but I think I was the only one that ever used it. :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

That is insane to me. I'm coming from a fairly solid QA background and the fact that there's not specific stuff written for tests (either as scripts for the game to follow through on itself and then do automated error reporting or as a feature/black box VP checklisting by QA) is just... frankly, it's alarming as hell.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I attempt to test my own systems with unit-test level stuff. But really in games there is so much code coming and going that it kinda would be a waste of time to write tests for all of it.

That's what we have rooms full of millennials for.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jan posted:

It depends on how long the code is going to live for and how many users it's going to have. Licensed libraries/engines are pretty much a no-brainer since the code will live for many years and be used by a lot of unfamiliar programmers. Single-title code that'll get thrown out after ship is a harder sell for that sort of thing.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Sion posted:

That is insane to me. I'm coming from a fairly solid QA background and the fact that there's not specific stuff written for tests (either as scripts for the game to follow through on itself and then do automated error reporting or as a feature/black box VP checklisting by QA) is just... frankly, it's alarming as hell.

We had process of some kind. We still wrote test cases that were manually run, ran build acceptance tests on dailies and stuff like that, but yeah, automation was a real hard sell when systems were being tweaked up to the last minute, or we had a content cadence to meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Plus, nobody really knows what is going to stick around and what isn't. If you are a lowly Senior Programmer, you have no clue what the next game is going to be.