Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Is anyone with a droid turbo noticing audio coming from the headphone jack sounds a little distorted? It sounds like i can't get a complete connection and it sounds...tinny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Turd Nelson posted:

Is anyone with a droid turbo noticing audio coming from the headphone jack sounds a little distorted? It sounds like i can't get a complete connection and it sounds...tinny?

I hadn't tested until you asked, it sounds fine to me? Certainly not tinny.

Edit: still listening, sounds good. Your poo poo is broke

z06ck fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 1, 2014

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Actually I went into the audio settings and turned off the audio effects that are on by default and now it sounds pretty fine. False alarm!

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Changing those didn't affect anything for me, even the wired stereo one. Guess it's not compatible with my streaming app.

LuisN
Sep 10, 2011
TBH I don't see how people can recommend the Moto X as being cheaper when it's only $150 less than the Nexus 6, when compared to the substantial upgrade in overall specs. If anything the Moto X (2nd gen) is the overpriced phone, with its mediocre camera and battery life for $500.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

I really like the blue, makes a nice change from black/grey.

Me too, I'm definitely getting the midnight blue variant.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Me too, I'm definitely getting the midnight blue variant.

I liked it initially until I saw some hands on videos and the purplish back bezels are a bit of a turn off.

Edit: I take that back. http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/31/nexus-6-unboxing-and-gallery/

False Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 2, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LuisN posted:

TBH I don't see how people can recommend the Moto X as being cheaper when it's only $150 less than the Nexus 6, when compared to the substantial upgrade in overall specs. If anything the Moto X (2nd gen) is the overpriced phone, with its mediocre camera and battery life for $500.

I also am confused how something that is cheaper can be recommended as cheaper.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

False Toaster posted:

I liked it initially until I saw some hands on and purplish back bezels are a bit of a turn off. It's a bit of a turn off.

Interesting, I'll have to see one in person. I hate white phones so I can rule out that one, but I hope I don't mind the blue.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I just bought a Turbo and they gave me the $200 credit for my piece of poo poo Thunderbolt. That felt like larceny.

I'm digging the phone so far. I actually like the nylon back better, but I got the 64gig model so I didn't have a choice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm currently in unlimited data on Verizon and about to upgrade to a Turbo (thus losing unlimited data). How will this work in terms of data usage if I switch before the end of a billing cycle? Is it just prorated, i.e., the first portion of the cycle I get unlimited and then the remainder is under my new data terms?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Bandire posted:

I just bought a Turbo and they gave me the $200 credit for my piece of poo poo Thunderbolt. That felt like larceny.

I'm digging the phone so far. I actually like the nylon back better, but I got the 64gig model so I didn't have a choice.

So you know what the feeling was like when I traded in that Gnex. I was like seriously?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm currently in unlimited data on Verizon and about to upgrade to a Turbo (thus losing unlimited data). How will this work in terms of data usage if I switch before the end of a billing cycle? Is it just prorated, i.e., the first portion of the cycle I get unlimited and then the remainder is under my new data terms?

If you go to limited data, you're going to get a prorated amount for the remainder of the billing cycle. So if you go to 6GB and you have 2 weeks left, you'll only have 3GB because we all know everyone uses data at a fixed rate that is directly related to time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vulturesrow posted:

Isn't there a Verizon thread you should be asking this in?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vulturesrow posted:

Just did the same thing. Its immediately limited to 2gb. I was at 2.5 used and it put me over. I haven't checked the bill but I'm sure I was charged for it.

Will Verizon take cracked screen phones for trades towards the turbo you think?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

No, they will not. They check for screen breaks and water damage before taking a trade in. Before some goon spergs out at you guys, we do have a Verizon thread that multiple Verizon reps including myself are active in:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412884

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

vulturesrow posted:

check this first

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have discovered that the Droid Turbo is plagued by the stupid 3G bug from the Droid Maxx where it won't get back onto 4G unless you restart the phone. That's disappointing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have discovered that the Droid Turbo is plagued by the stupid 3G bug from the Droid Maxx where it won't get back onto 4G unless you restart the phone. That's disappointing.

I some times get stuck on 3g on my droid maxx, but going airplane mode and back usually fixes it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

FordPRefectLL posted:

My Thunderbolt and Galaxy S3 did this too, so it may just be Verizon. I'm used to it at least. Airplane mode toggle fixes it for me as well.

And yeah, they said the standard trade in value for a Thunderbolt is $7 lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

My Note 3 does this all the time too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ihmemies posted:

Edit: heh, the "ok google" in the video toggled my tablet's voice recognition :v:

Someone should record a YouTube video saying 'ok Google, open [the web address of the YouTube video] and see if it goes round in circles forever

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Mine doesn't do this. I noticed it was on 3G inside the mall earlier, and when I left it popped back to LTE. :iiam:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My dad is on T-Mobile and his MyTouch4G just shattered. What is a great phone, new or used under $175, that he could buy outright?

I'm also contemplating giving him my Nexus 4 and upgrading to one of the great choices that have come out this year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

My dad is on T-Mobile and his MyTouch4G just shattered. What is a great phone, new or used under $175, that he could buy outright?
Moto G is the only valid answer to this question.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is anybody else having their droid turbo randomly reboot? It's happened 3 times in two days.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
2013 Moto X Dev edition report

Almost everything about this phone is great. I was worried about battery life but it's been fine. Took it off the charger at 0800, just put it back on at 2300 with 21% left which eased my concerns (though it's still less screen on time than most of the reviews I've read, someone told me the phone needs a week to 'break in'). I've had to retrain myself to not use the power button to turn on the lock screen but it's wonderful.

The back of the phone does feel great. It has an almost ceramic quality to it that I can't explain.

The voice command stuff is extremely useful beyond the original novelty. It's great to call or text people while driving.

Not having to turn on a lock screen ever is amazing. I take a fair amount of pictures with my phone and the camera is just fine for everything and much better than my old S3 camera. While newer cameras in other phones are better in terms of quality, the ability to whip out the phone and immediately start taking pictures trumps it for me.

The worst part to me is the speaker. While the speaker is clear as a bell and does not have any tinny sound, I would trade it for some extra volume. I will probably invest in a car blue tooth speaker option because I can't play quieter podcasts with the AC going. Music seems decently loud and the ability to tell it to play different albums without touching it was pretty great.

The dev edition is quad band, 32gb, and on Ebay for 300 bucks brand new. I don't regret a dollar spent, though I will need a car dock/speaker of some kind.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I'm also contemplating giving him my Nexus 4 and upgrading to one of the great choices that have come out this year.

In addition to Moto G, a 2013 Moto X for $229 would be great if you can stretch the budget slightly.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I've had the Turbo for a couple of hours. Got the non-ballistic backing because I kinda liked the soft touch material and thought the nylon was actually more slippery. Had to hunt it down and wait for like 45 minutes to be seen by any Verizon people. Cashier was gone for 10 minutes and brought out a tray of like 10 accessories to try to sell me.

This phone is so goddamn fast compared to my GS3 on performance mode. As expected, everything is just better in every way so far. Even files transfer onto it via USB much quicker. All the Moto stuff is really nice though I was replicating that same functionality on my GS3 through AcDisplay, Gravityscreen and Commandr.

Also missed Titanium Backup sorely while setting up the phone, though Motorola Migrate worked great for text messages and call logs.

Got no case, but the size is really bugging me. Can't use this thing one-handed, and the apps I used (either LMT or GMD) on the GS3 to control the phone easily with one hand require root. Going to give it 5 days to see if I can live with it. Putting a case on is obviously going to exacerbate this.

E: Oh man, I forgot I'd be losing 'long-press volume buttons to change song' and there's no way to change songs when Active Display is on. No 'press volume buttons to move typing cursor' is pretty terrible, too. On my GS3, I also had 'double tap back or menu keys to change songs' through Gravity Box.

I guess Intelliplay does 'shake to change songs' and 'proximity sensor change songs.' But, Intelliplay kind of sucks, so... Will see how it goes.

Using the stock camera app or Camera FV-5, the thing refuses to focus while doing macro.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 2, 2014

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Interesting, I'll have to see one in person. I hate white phones so I can rule out that one, but I hope I don't mind the blue.

Seeing it in person would probably be a better idea but I honestly would not mind white myself.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Hey skywalker can you do me a favor and push down on the verizon logo on the back of your turbo and let me know if it flexes inwards and sticks a little bit? It's happening to my red one and everyone else here seems to have the nylon one.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Hey skywalker can you do me a favor and push down on the verizon logo on the back of your turbo and let me know if it flexes inwards and sticks a little bit? It's happening to my red one and everyone else here seems to have the nylon one.

My black non-nylon Turbo has some flex in the top corners but none in the middle.

Definitely flex around the Verizon logo, which is very fitting. There doesn't seem to be anything there in that random spot of the device.

There's a noticeable ridge there as the rest of the back curves evenly.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 2, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Genderfluid posted:

xpost from tmobile thread. I'm having an absurd problem with my htc one (m8) for tmobile that seems to have bricked the phone. Last night, I received a notification that a new update was available. I didn't read through any of the text of the update description, but I'm assuming it was this one. The update started installing, but about halfway through the progress bar the icon changed into a phone with a red triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Holding down the power button would not do anything. After holding down the power and volume, the phone went black and then went into the startup screen that says HTC with the "powered by android" text below. It will not go beyond this screen. Holding volume down and power makes the screen go black briefly followed by a return to this screen. I left the phone off the charger to drain the battery to force a restart, and after charging and turning it on the same thing happened. My phone is stock, the bootloader is locked, unrooted, etc. It is also now useless, unless someone knows a way to fix this. I've had 6 months of completely error free use until this.

Also, I bought this phone used, does that mean it's not under warranty and I'm going to have to pay to fix it?

Have you tried holding power + volume up while booting? I think this is how my M7 advances into the stock bootloader. Barring that, maybe it's able to receive fastboot commands?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm still on my old Galaxy S2 and more or less satisfied, but my income improved lately and I've been considering an upgrade. Improved screen size is my main consideration, I'd like to be able to better use it as an e-reader. What's worth getting these days? It needs to be able to take a microSD card.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Tunga posted:

Moto G is the only valid answer to this question.
I've got a similar purchase coming up, but am I correct in seeing that there is an LTE version of the 2013 G, but the new 2014 G does not have LTE?

That seems kinda rear end backwards

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Epiphyte posted:

I've got a similar purchase coming up, but am I correct in seeing that there is an LTE version of the 2013 G, but the new 2014 G does not have LTE?

That seems kinda rear end backwards

The original original Moto G didn't have LTE either, then they released an updated original Moto G with LTE. The same thing will probably happen here. The only carrier that this really matters for is Verizon, as AT&T and T-Mobile have great non-LTE speeds.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm still on my old Galaxy S2 and more or less satisfied, but my income improved lately and I've been considering an upgrade. Improved screen size is my main consideration, I'd like to be able to better use it as an e-reader. What's worth getting these days? It needs to be able to take a microSD card.

Is being an e-reader related to taking an SD card? What kind of books? You actually probably don't want a super big screen for reading, as a lighter phone means more comfortable holding for long periods. Probably the worst part about the S2 for reading is the resolution, not the size.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 2, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you want an e-reader, get a Kindle. They are about ten thousand times better at it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

If you want an e-reader, get a Kindle. They are about ten thousand times better at it.

And there's a dude in SA Mart selling refurbs for $35.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mooktastical posted:

And there's a dude in SA Mart selling refurbs for $35.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RVProfootballer posted:

Is being an e-reader related to taking an SD card? What kind of books? You actually probably don't want a super big screen for reading, as a lighter phone means more comfortable holding for long periods. Probably the worst part about the S2 for reading is the resolution, not the size.
It is, actually. I need access to a relatively small number of textbooks with lots of graphical illustrations, meaning big filesizes. A phone without an SD slot just isn't useful to me. I'd be resting it on a surface the majority of the time, so size and weight isn't a major concern.

big mean giraffe posted:

Not suited to my needs, sadly, unless I get one with an LCD display. I'd also rather carry less devices than more.

• Locked thread