Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Any chance of another quickie while we wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

All Yetis please. The most hopeless tournament

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Testekill posted:

All Yetis please. The most hopeless tournament

All yeti, all the time. Quadruple points.

Edit: VVVVV I thought too small. This.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 1, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Randomly generated and assigned Forgotten Beasts.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Can we even generate forgotten beasts in the arena?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Please test an underwater division so I can create a squid man who wields two extra swords with his head tentacles and have him fight against sperm whale men fourty times as big as a yeti, narwhal men with a tusk attack, hilariously fragile sponge men, venomous platypus men and sea monsters.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Odd question while we're off-season: Has anyone tried to play regular Dwarf Fortress on the Arena Challenge modded version? I tried but ran into a pretty major problem of miners not grabbing picks and doing their jobs.

Wondering if this is an issue with the mod or if I manged to break the game somehow.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bene Elim posted:

Odd question while we're off-season: Has anyone tried to play regular Dwarf Fortress on the Arena Challenge modded version? I tried but ran into a pretty major problem of miners not grabbing picks and doing their jobs.

Wondering if this is an issue with the mod or if I manged to break the game somehow.

I believe this has to do with the mod put in place so that picks work with the Misc Obj skill for the Arena since arena people can't know mining.

Game Folder -> Raw -> Objects -> item_weapon.txt

Replace the pick entry with the pick from the default game. If you don't have that on hand, I think changing [SKILL:MISC_WEAPON] to [SKILL:MINING] should work but I'm not in a good place to check. If none of that helps... then I'm out of ideas.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Can you assign multiple skills to the same weapon?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am willing to do another one, maybe a mini 1v1 'worst fighter' thing or whatever to keep this going if I'll be the only one running it.

If someone tells me how to get forgotten beasts into the arena, I'd love to do that...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone please run a 4-way free-for-all of our winning team, TIA

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Someone please run a 4-way free-for-all of our winning team, TIA

You're going down, fucker. Running now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My little dude will outlast your little dude, mark my words.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How should I have it?

You top middle
Other little guy bottom middle
Gretchen one side
Me other side

Edit: Also, you have no chance, I'm fully adamantine armor. The only vulnerable spot of mine is my face and what are the chances of that happening?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So you're going to do this with your fighters all wearing their namesake gauntlets and nothing else, right?

e: drat that edit. :argh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

How should I have it?

You top middle
Other little guy bottom middle
Gretchen one side
Me other side

Whatever order the macros would spit them out in, just wind around the perimeter/four sides. Shouldn't matter where you start the winding, assuming the arena has been balanced vertically the same way it was horizontally.

Alternately: just drop them all four in a 2x2 wad in the middle of the arena, gently caress 'em, we don't have any archers.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bad Munki posted:

Whatever order the macros would spit them out in, just wind around the perimeter/four sides. Shouldn't matter where you start the winding, assuming the arena has been balanced vertically the same way it was horizontally.

Alternately: just drop them all four in a 2x2 wad in the middle of the arena, gently caress 'em, we don't have any archers.

Or all on the same tile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think that would force all but one of them to start off laying down, though, which is sorta bullshit, and still wouldn't give Spermy Smurf a chance of winning even if he was the one on top.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Winners brawl 1v1v1v1:siren:

I just slapped the fighters 5 squares away from each other, all equidistant.

Before Gretchen and me can move two tiles, the gremlins have closed. Fed after Midnight swings the pommel of his sword at Munki’s chest, but the pommel is turned aside by the adamantine mail shirt that Munki didn’t want to buy.

Gretchen joys the fray (missing the little dodging twerps), while my serpentman takes his sweet time getting there. Fed After Midnight swings the business end of his sword at Munki, but Munki’s shirt again deflects the adamantine blade.

I finally get into the fight, but my hammers are turned aside by Fed after Midnights adamantine boots. Instead my serpentman lowers his shoulder and charges, knocking Fed After Midnight down. Bad Munki’s gremlin takes this opportunity to punch the other gremlin in the ear, causing the ear to explode into a lump of gore. This is possibly the best (or worst) first blood in a match so far.

Then we start dodging, hitting adamantine and doing 0 damage… Fed after midnight charges Munki, Munki goes down for a split second but leaps to his feet and continues dodging and deflecting attacks.

Gretchen and I team up with a one-two hit to Fed After Midnight. Gretchen shatters his left arm into an unrecognizable pulp, while I slam my hammer into his neck which also gets pulped.

Then we all trade blows for a while, parrying easily, and allowing our armor to deflect other blows.

Gretchen turns on a dime and charges Munki who had thought to backstab like the slimeball he is.

Munki is stunned, Fed After Midnight is Stunned with an arm and neck pulped. Gretchen looks sexy as ever, and my serpentman currently makes James Bond look like a pile of poo poo.

Fed After shakes off the stunned-ness and swings at Munki’s stunned gremlin. Gretchen hits him from the side, knocking teeth across the arena floor. In a stunning display of idiocy, my serpent charges Gretchen. We fall down together in a tangle of limbs with two very deadly gremlins standing over us with sharp weapons in their hands.

A lot more blows get deflected by armor, and then with two perfectly placed blows my serpentman bruises Gretchen’s liver, then breaks a rib and sends it deep into the goblins right lung.
A bunch more attacks hit armor on basically everyone but since we’re all basically fully armored in blue none of the attacks do anything.

Gretchen dodges away from my snakeman but not before I bruise her pancreas. The goblin is hurt.

I chase Gretchen, but she surprises me with a charge. I fall, stunned. Munki darts in to stab me while I’m down, and for some reason Gretchen bashes his left leg hard enough to fracture bone and send him to the floor.

More attacks, and a surprise bite by Gretchen are all deflected by adamantine boots/gauntlets/mail.

Munki, on the ground, swings at the only thing within reach: Gretchens foot. His blue knife finally slices through blue armor and the goblins foot goes flying off! Gretchen falls next to Munki. Gretchen slams a hammer into Munki’s stomach, bruising his guts through the mail shirt.

My serpentman dodges away from the center of the melee and my mail absorbs yet another blow from Fed After Midnight’s adamantine sword. A strike in retaliation gets lucky and crushes Fed After’s right arm. Fed After now has no arms, so he passes out.

It takes three strikes before my warhammer breaks through the goblins helmet and shatters the skull beneath.

I swear that I am not cheating, this is how it’s playing out.

Fed After is dead, Gretchen is 1-footed and down, Munki is down with a broken leg, and my serpentman is just chillin out at 100% strength.

In an unlikely alliance, Munki and I team up to beat on Gretchen. Actually, I do all the work, his knife skitters harmlessly from the adamantine shell around the goblin. Scratch that. Munki punches Gretchen in the cheek, collapsing the cheekbone and causing minor discomfort.

I valiantly bash Gretchens finger, bruising it and she dies immediately! I am unsure who gets credit with the kill here. I clearly bashed the poo poo out of that finger, and all Munki did is stuff his knife into Gretchens head. I’m calling that half a point each.

My snake moves to swing at Munki who cowers in fear (I assume).

It takes a bit of dodging, with nearly all of Munki’s attacks skittering off of armor before I land a solid strike on his already-broken left leg and crush the part into gore. If one of Munki’s blows get through my armor, I’m done.

Munki dodges (rolls?) away from an attack, and then my snake bruises his liver. His strikes continue to hit my chest and legs, but continue to get deflected. It’s like my snake has given up all pretense of defense. Just pray the armor holds up.

Another solid blow from my snakes warhammer shatters Munki’s left leg for the THIRD TIME. This proves too much and Munki passes out from pain.

It only takes one more blow and Munki’s head caves in under my snakemans hammer.

Your undisputed winner and champion of the entire tournament is me. And the most amazing part is that I only had to run this fight once for that outcome. There was 0 cheating involved here.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
IN YOUR STUPID FACE, MUNKI.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

maphacks

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
You should run down the ladder with this until the next tournament is set to start; it's pretty entertaining seeing Bad Munki lose.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I ran Gnome Chance 1v1 against our entire team and our team is still undefeated.

Also, wanted to share the fight from Munki vs Gnome Chance.

** Starting New Arena **
Dark Gnome 1 strikes Gremlin 1 in the left hand with her adamantine pick, but the attack is deflected by Gremlin 1's small adamantine left gauntlet!
The Dark Gnome 1 loses hold of the small bronze cap.
The Dark Gnome 1 loses hold of the adamantine pick.
Gremlin 1 slashes Dark Gnome 1 in the head with his large adamantine dagger and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Dark Gnome 1 has been knocked unconscious!
Dark Gnome 1 has been struck down.

That's all. They charged across and Munki chopped Gnome Chance's head off in the first swing. Gnome Chance has Grandmaster weapon and Grandmaster dodging...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's it, I demand a one-on-one, you and me, behind the arena, right now, no teachers

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Haven't you lost enough for one day?

*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
** Starting New Arena **
Gremlin 1 strikes at Serpent Man 1 but the shot is narrowly deflected by the silver war hammer!
Serpent Man 1 strikes at Gremlin 1 but the shot is easily parried by the large adamantine dagger!
Serpent Man 1 attacks Gremlin 1 but He jumps away!
Gremlin 1 stabs Serpent Man 1 in the neck with his large adamantine dagger, but the attack is deflected by Serpent Man 1's small adamantine mail shirt!
Serpent Man 1 misses Gremlin 1!
Gremlin 1 misses Serpent Man 1!
Serpent Man 1 charges at Gremlin 1!
Gremlin 1 looks surprised by the ferocity of Serpent Man 1's onslaught!
Serpent Man 1 collides with Gremlin 1!
Gremlin 1 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
The Gremlin 1 stands up.
Serpent Man 1 strikes at Gremlin 1 but the shot is deftly parried by the large adamantine dagger!
Gremlin 1 strikes at Serpent Man 1 but the shot is deflected by the silver war hammer!
The Gremlin 1 stands up.
Gremlin 1 stabs Serpent Man 1 in the lower body with his large adamantine dagger, but the attack is deflected by Serpent Man 1's small adamantine mail shirt!
Gremlin 1 attacks Serpent Man 1 but He jumps away!
Gremlin 1 strikes at Serpent Man 1 but the shot is narrowly deflected by the silver war hammer!
Serpent Man 1 strikes at Gremlin 1 but the shot is narrowly deflected by the large adamantine dagger!
Gremlin 1 strikes at Serpent Man 1 but the shot is easily parried by the silver war hammer!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the head with his silver war hammer, bruising the muscle through the small copper cap!
Gremlin 1 strikes at Serpent Man 1 but the shot is effortlessly deflected by the silver war hammer!
The Gremlin 1 stands up.
Serpent Man 1 strikes at Gremlin 1 but the shot is parried by the large adamantine dagger!
Gremlin 1 attacks Serpent Man 1 but He jumps away!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the left lower arm with his silver war hammer and the injured part is crushed!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the upper body with his silver war hammer, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the middle spine's nervous tissue through the small cow leather armor!
The Gremlin 1 loses hold of the large adamantine dagger.
The Gremlin 1 falls over.
The Gremlin 1 is no longer stunned.
Serpent Man 1 punches Gremlin 1 in the right upper leg with his left hand, bruising the muscle through the small cow leather armor!
Gremlin 1: Can it all end so quickly? Begone fear!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the left upper leg with his silver war hammer, fracturing the bone through the small cow leather armor!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the upper body with his silver war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver through the small cow leather armor!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the right lower arm with his silver war hammer and the injured part is crushed!
Serpent Man 1 bites Gremlin 1 in the lower right back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Serpent Man 1 bites Gremlin 1 in the head, tearing the muscle through the small copper cap!
Gremlin 1 has been stunned!
Serpent man venom is injected into the Gremlin 1's gremlin blood!
Serpent Man 1 latches on firmly!
The Gremlin 1 is completely paralyzed!
Serpent Man 1 shakes Gremlin 1 around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!
An artery in the head has been opened by the attack!
Serpent Man 1 shakes Gremlin 1 around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!
Serpent Man 1 bashes Gremlin 1 in the head with his silver war hammer and the injured part explodes into gore!
Gremlin 1 has been struck down.

Edit: I am uninjured and ready for another fight. gently caress it, lets try 2x Munki and 1x Me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

STOP CHEATING

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: I am uninjured and ready for another fight. gently caress it, lets try 2x Munki and 1x Me.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Spermy Smurf posted:

I ran Gnome Chance 1v1 against our entire team and our team is still undefeated.

Also, wanted to share the fight from Munki vs Gnome Chance.

** Starting New Arena **
Dark Gnome 1 strikes Gremlin 1 in the left hand with her adamantine pick, but the attack is deflected by Gremlin 1's small adamantine left gauntlet!
The Dark Gnome 1 loses hold of the small bronze cap.
The Dark Gnome 1 loses hold of the adamantine pick.
Gremlin 1 slashes Dark Gnome 1 in the head with his large adamantine dagger and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Dark Gnome 1 has been knocked unconscious!
Dark Gnome 1 has been struck down.

That's all. They charged across and Munki chopped Gnome Chance's head off in the first swing. Gnome Chance has Grandmaster weapon and Grandmaster dodging...

THis isn't even remotely what I meant and you know it. :saddowns:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Long Name was specifically built as a counter to bullshit overpowered builds, and it shows, since half our team is bullshit overpowered builds. :haw:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^^ Yeah, it took 7 Munki's to beat Gretchen and I when I teamed us up.

Zwingley posted:

THis isn't even remotely what I meant and you know it. :saddowns:

Yeah, I know. I was just curious since Gnome Chance cut everyone to pieces and I wanted to know how we'd stack up against her 1v1.

VVV Holy lol

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Four dwarfs, identically equipped with full armour. Identically statted apart from appropriate weapon skill. Then give one a great axe, one a maul, one a longsword and one a flail. All steel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

goatface posted:

Four dwarfs, identically equipped with full armour. Identically statted apart from appropriate weapon skill. Then give one a great axe, one a maul, one a longsword and one a flail. All steel.

And one with biting.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
CPS could easily 1v1 the enemy team. Gnome chance just knows how to hog the glory

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

So I did this.

Four dwarfs with steel armor/weapons and even skills.

They all start an equal distance apart. Great-axe in the bottom left. Longsword in the top left. Maul in the top right, and flail in the bottom right.

A and S square off first. A gets the first hit with the flat of his axe but it is deflected off of S's armor.

A and S trade blows to now effect. F bruises M's upper arm, M retaliates with a bruising strike to the lung.

F moves to fight S instead. A lands a deep hit on S, his axe getting stuck in S's lung.

S is double teamed and suffers some bruising. S stabs A in the lung bruising it. M attacks F from behind and gets another bruising strike on his lung.

All the fighters group together in the top left of the arena. M bites A in the left cheek and it collapses. He then shatters A's ribs with a hit from his maul and scratches his remaining cheek, tearing it. Lots of teeth are knocked out from several fighters.

M jams A's rib through his liver and A gives in to pain. M bangs away at A's head but can't get through the helm. Meanwhile S opens an artery in F's arm, and F retaliates with a flail to the S's tongue, but it only tears the skin.

M leaves A to fight F and S. M bashes in F's nose with his maul. Many more teeth are lost.

S goes to finish off the still down A. M and F torture each other with lots of bruising shots.

S continues to hit A in the head to little effect. F gets a good hit on M and he's having trouble breathing.

S finally gets past A's helm and cuts off his head.

Fighters end up in a pile. Passing out from exhaustion and then waking up to fight. M explodes S's neck with a good shot, but S keeps going.

M then smashes S's spine before passing out again. S then proceeds to push various parts of the sleeping M to no effect. F takes this chance to hit him with his flail which explodes S's upper body.

M bashes F's ribs through his liver and F passes out from pain. M tries to finish F off, but can't and eventually passes out from exhaustion again. F wakes up and bashes on M until M's head pops. Winner flail.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Interesting. One datapoint isn't a trend of course, but definitely bears some thought...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

CPS could easily 1v1 the enemy team. Gnome chance just knows how to hog the glory

I ran this too. You killed Munki but the other three of us got you. We actually took some injuries this time though, Gretchen killed you before dying of blood loss (would have bled to death from limb loss eventually) and I finished you off from the ground. My dad's gremlin killed you handily.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Really this fight was very close. No one could reliably penetrate armor and it came down to bashing on passed out people heads. I think it may have gone differently if the maul had been silver instead of steel, but basically steel couldn't do damage through steel in this fight. A spear or pick may have been able to penetrate, but the longsword was only causing bruises even with stabbing attacks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

I ran this too. You killed Munki but the other three of us got you. We actually took some injuries this time though, Gretchen killed you before dying of blood loss (would have bled to death from limb loss eventually) and I finished you off from the ground. My dad's gremlin killed you handily.

How the hell did he manage to bring you down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

How the hell did he manage to bring you down?

Logs are at work, I am working on house tomorrow but can grab logs Wednesday. Adamantine spear and high skill stabbed my tail, my tail was pale color if I remember right. I don't know what pale means in DF, kinda greyed out.

Edit: pale isn't exactly right, light is a better word.

• Locked thread