Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So the "Clara Oswin Oswald has never existed" line was just straight-up fake? Fair enough I guess.

It's actually rather annoying, but the trailer seemingly showed footage from BOTH episodes (unless they filmed a bunch of extra stuff just to confuse the audience).

The trailer last week was definitely put together to give a very different impression of what Clara was doing. I don't have a problem with that, but I wish they had avoided showing the Cybermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So the "Clara Oswin Oswald has never existed" line was just straight-up fake? Fair enough I guess.

There were a few shots that were in the trailer that I don't recall seeing in the episode. I'm guessing last week's trailer had bits from this week's and next week's episode.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I liked that she kept dropping hints that suggested she could be Susan or, more likely, Romana ("the one you left behind" and the references to herself as "Mistress" like K9 used to call her) just so she could hit him with,"Haha gently caress you nope I'm the Master and I'm still loving batshit insane."

I had the exact same Susan or Romana thought at that point too. I like to think it was deliberate, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Of course it was always going to be the master.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't imagine that possibly being true.

Just looked it up, seems like I was wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

quote:

The population of the planet reached seven billion in October, according to the United Nations. But what's the figure for all those who have lived before us?

It is often said that there are more people alive today than have ever lived - and this "fact" has raised its head again since the UN announcement about the planet's population reaching a new high.

The idea helps fuel fears that the population is expanding too fast.

It is true that if you delve back into the mists of time, the population of Earth was tiny in comparison to today and logically it might seem plausible that the living outnumber the dead.

So what are the figures? There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.

This means that we are nowhere near close to having more alive than dead. In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. We surpassed seven billion dead way back between 8000BC and AD1.

Googling it got a lot of things from around 4th, 5th of February 2012, so maybe I was remembering that claim being thrown around at the time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
What I would like to know is why The Promised Land looked like a garden/tea party in the first few appearances and then became an office/dyson-city for the last few, and why The Master stopped handling the guests and handed it over to Seb.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my lord they loving went there. :asoiaf: They made that so obvious with the Missy scenes throughout the series I was sure it was a red herring. They hid that in plain sight pretty excellently.

I worked out it was Cybermen just before the reveal of Cybermen. That made me sad, Cybermen are rubbish. But when I worked out who Missy was (you know, as she was spelling it out), it was the exact opposite reaction. I can't stop smiling. And now she has people to actually interact with she actually seems quite interesting. She's ridiculous in all the right ways. Wanna see how she interacts with Capaldi now. He was great in this too. As usual.

Now please don't let the Cybermen gently caress this up. And make sure the Doctor meets Seb.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I don't mind the reveal, I'm just not really sure what Missy being the Master is bringing to the series at this point. Though her killing of Doctor Chang at least sat better in hindsight, had that been an evil Romana, it would have been unfortunate.

It makes me wonder though, is this a Regenerated Simm Master or has he taken someone else's body? I ask because there are still some Missy lines from earlier in the season which have yet to be explained, like her "I think I'll keep it" regarding 12's accent. If the Master took over a Time Lady body, it leads me to wonder if "Missy" might have been someone noteworthy before the Master took over and now he wants to take over the Doctor's body yet again. Of course if this is the Simm Master regenerated, then it's just a strange line.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 1, 2014

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Jerusalem posted:

It's actually rather annoying, but the trailer seemingly showed footage from BOTH episodes (unless they filmed a bunch of extra stuff just to confuse the audience).

The trailer last week was definitely put together to give a very different impression of what Clara was doing. I don't have a problem with that, but I wish they had avoided showing the Cybermen.

Despite watching the trailer, and talking about it earlier today, somehow I managed to forget that the Cybermen were going to show up while watching. I think the weird first act distracted me. So the big reveal actually worked for me. And it was a fantastic twist. I do feel kinda dumb that the dark water didn't make me remember. But I'm glad, because wow.

But even the iPlayer has a picture of Cybermen when you go there... it's like nobody actually realised that they were supposed to be a surprise in the script??!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't imagine that possibly being true.
It's a close-run thing, as both are subject to exponential growth. The number of people alive right now can be roughly modelled as Ae^(kt), where A and k are constants, t is time and e is good ol' 2.71818... The number of people who've ever lived is the integral of that, which happens to be (Ae^(kt))/k. Or in short, (Dead people) = (Alive people)/k. At this point, the question is whether k is bigger than 1 or smaller than it - bigger than 1, and the living outnumber the dead. Smaller than 1, and the dead outnumber the living.

(yes, yes, trap sprung and all that)

e: and then we have Dabir providing empirical evidence that k is a lot smaller than 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teek posted:

It makes me wonder though, is this a Regenerated Simm Master or has he taken someone else's body? I ask because there are still some Missy lines from earlier in the season which have yet to be explained, like her "I think I'll keep it" regarding 12's accent. If the Master took over a Time Lady body, it leads to wonder if "Missy" might have been someone noteworthy before the Master took over. Of course if this is the Simm Master regenerated, then it's just a strange line.

This being the Master, I wouldn't be surprised if the line regarding the accent was that she was deigning to allow the Doctor's latest regeneration to live. The Master has always been enormously self-centered so it makes a mad kind of sense that she would think this is her decision to make - she likes the Doctor's Scottish accent so she is going to "allow" him to keep it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Teek posted:

I don't mind the reveal, I'm just not really sure what Missy being the Master is bringing to the series at this point. Though her killing of Doctor Chang at least sat better in hindsight, had that been an evil Romana, it would have been unfortunate.

It makes me wonder though, is this a Regenerated Simm Master or has he taken someone else's body? I ask because there are still some Missy lines from earlier in the season which have yet to be explained, like her "I think I'll keep it" regarding 12's accent. If the Master took over a Time Lady body, it leads me to wonder if "Missy" might have been someone noteworthy before the Master took over and now he wants to take over the Doctor's body yet again. Of course if this is the Simm Master regenerated, then it's just a strange line.

"How is the Master not dead" is one of those questions you're never really supposed to think too much about. See Fire, Planet of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the episode. I'm keen to see how it'll turn out.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "obvious" reveal yet; I guess it seemed so obvious that it couldn't be the direction they'd go with it. Probably what they were counting on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, we've only seen him INSIDE the Matrix Slice, so there's nothing (yet) to indicate he is actually a "real" person.

We've seen Missy inside the NS too, when she was angry, so you can move between them both.

Also, what did W3 actually stand for?

DoctorWhat posted:

"How is the Master not dead" is one of those questions you're never really supposed to think too much about. See Fire, Planet of.

Sorry dude, that just doesn't work in modern storytelling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

We've seen Missy inside the NS too, when she was angry, so you can move between them both.

"The Three Words", aka "don't cremate me".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

It was "3W", so I guess it was "Three Words".

EDIT: ^Beat me to it.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan
Clara really did put the sleep patch on him at the beginning, the Doctor dreamt he outwitted her, this is all a dream.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dsub posted:

Clara really did put the sleep patch on him at the beginning, the Doctor dreamt he outwitted her, this is all a dream.

Ask me what happens if you die in reality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not surprised she can jump between them, but I would be surprised if Seb could too - I don't see her sharing access like that. Who knows though, the Master did it before back in The Deadly Assassin.

PriorMarcus posted:

Three Words, named for the phrase that convinced the founder of the company (all a fiction, obviously) that humans continue to live after they died - "don't cremate me!"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

What I would like to know is why The Promised Land looked like a garden/tea party in the first few appearances and then became an office/dyson-city for the last few, and why The Master stopped handling the guests and handed it over to Seb.
I imagine Missy personally greeted people who she found interesting, and let Seb (who's presumably some computer program) handle everyone else.

PriorMarcus posted:

The fact that I can enter a game as an avatar of myself doesn't mean that the NPCs can get out :v:.

e: OR DOES IT? WELCOME TO MOFFAT'S NEXT TWO-PARTER

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

It was "3W", so I guess it was "Three Words".

EDIT: ^Beat me to it.

How did Clara not notice this massive contemporary scientific development? And how did Danny not know about it to change his cremation request?

Was the 3W part of the episode taking place in the near future, because a few of the transistions made it seem like they were both taking place at the same time.

Also, why do robots want to go to The Promised Land and how was it known about for thousands of years when it's actually sitting around in contemporary London being advertised as a company?

Why take that one soldier from the Dalek episode or someone who was already a android?

I know we've got a Part 2 but I'm going to guess nearly none of that is answered.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Jerusalem posted:

I was kind of hoping when Missy told Doctor Chang that she wouldn't kill him till he said something nice

When she said that I said to myself "don't say something nice, that way she CAN'T kill you!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

How did Clara not notice this massive contemporary scientific development? And how did Danny not know about it to change his cremation request?

I assumed it was all invented for the Doctor's benefit. :shrug:

quote:

Was the 3W part of the episode taking place in the near future, because a few of the transistions made it seem like they were both taking place at the same time.

Maybe "Heaven"/"The Promised Land"/"3W" is all actually inside the Master's TARDIS?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just a heads up for all the Who-lovin' goons: I'm selling my collection of classic episodes (on VHS, so you can pretend to be Mugabe :argh: and hoard tapes) and Target books over in SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677863

If nothing else, I want someone to appreciate the joke I made with my choice of thread tag.

We now return you to discussion about tonight's episode, already in progress (I haven't seen it yet, so I'll be back under my rock).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think Forest of the Night had something mentioning it was 2016, so yeah, "Next Sunday" rules are in effect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Their work appears to be secret.

PriorMarcus posted:

Why take that one soldier from the Dalek episode or someone who was already a android?
Because Missy was stalking The Doctor and found them interesting. Maybe she wants to force The Doctor to confront them.

I'm not sure if the robots actually "knew" about The Nethersphere, it could just be The Master trying to co-opt afterlife ideas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The conversations with Chang indicated it was still being kept a secret introduced to people on an individual basis, although there was also Governmental oversight of some sort. I'll have to watch again but I'm also pretty sure there was a line included about it being extremely expensive to get a spot in the dark water, so maybe the Master is being her typical jerkish self and gleefully using the bodies of 1%ers as her mindless slave army. :)

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, why do robots want to go to The Promised Land and how was it known about for thousands of years when it's actually sitting around in contemporary London being advertised as a company?

I know we've got a Part 2 but I'm going to guess nearly none of that is answered.

Why do you need to put a human skeleton into a cyberman? A skeleton doesn't have a brain. Are they all fleshy first and the fleshy parts get somehow integrated over time?

Where do you get the skeleton from? Is it dug up? Is it stolen from a morgue?

Why does your afterlife body still feel what your real body feels and how is this relevant to cybermen? If it's because the real body is in a cyberman already, then why is being cremated even brought up?

Is that kid a cyberman?

:iiam:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's pretty loving stupid to design a Cyberman whose body and mind are seperate but can still feel pain.

Also, the Cybermen aren't loving robots driven by organic parts, they are cyborgs. If a loving skeleton with no brain is inside them and the mind is connected wirelessly why even bother with the skeleton? How is that related to the Cybermen at all really?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
ITT: Trying to understand Moffat plots.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You know, I honestly thought Seb was played by Simm, but now looking Simm up I realize they don't really look alike.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

It's pretty loving stupid to design a Cyberman whose body and mind are seperate but can still feel pain.

If that's even true and not some BS they came up with to convince people to purge their emotions

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, the Cybermen aren't loving robots driven by organic parts, they are cyborgs. If a loving skeleton with no brain is inside them and the mind is connected wirelessly why even bother with the skeleton? How is that related to the Cybermen at all really?

The Cybermen's pre-existing history of conceptual/execution-of-concept idiocy is kind of A Thing that the Mistress probably has to "go with".

That or it's the New Who equivalent of the ludicrously over-complicated Masterplans made famous by Time-Flight and The King's Demons.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Of course, now the question is... Whose Seb?

My guess? Another Master.

The Rani

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Looke posted:

If that's even true and not some BS they came up with to convince people to purge their emotions

Well the entirety of this episode being exposition was already pretty bad, so if it turns out all of that exposistion was a lie that doesn't play into the plot then that's even worse.

Honestly, even if you delete your emotions, what drives you as a Cyberman? Do you know your body is stamping around inside an Iron Man knock off? Do you control it? If not then why keep the mind. What do the Cybermen get out of this?

I mean, I guess next week could be amazing and answer all of these questions, but it's going to lead to another episode of mainly exposistion.

Any way - Going to put money on a power of love ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looke posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty clear at the end that they get the new arrivals all hosed up emotionally and then offer them the sweet release of "deleting" their personalities so they can enjoy the rest of their afterlife without feeling miserable.... at which point THEY BECOME LIKE UZZZZZZZZ.

That kid probably doesn't exist at all, but is a mental representation of Danny's grief and self-loathing over killing him, brought in by Seb who hoped to push him over the edge into accepting wiping his memory. It'll probably backfire as Danny's subconscious telling him he hasn't earned the right or the luxury to forget what he did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Well the entirety of this episode being exposition was already pretty bad, so if it turns out all of that exposistion was a lie that doesn't play into the plot then that's even worse.

Honestly, even if you delete your emotions, what drives you as a Cyberman? Do you know your body is stamping around inside an Iron Man knock off? Do you control it? If not then why keep the mind. What do the Cybermen get out of this?

I mean, I guess next week could be amazing and answer all of these questions, but it's going to lead to another episode of mainly exposistion.

It's exposition that plays into character development. The exposition is meant as much for Danny, Clara, and the Doctor as it is for us.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The kid is real. Danny and the kid will team up next week to escape the NS.

Also, that means there's a 4 foot Cyberman out there.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Danny as a cyberman companion next year, we know the Doctor can grow to like individual ones!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Doug Sisk posted:

Danny as a cyberman companion next year, we know the Doctor can grow to like individual ones!

The Cybermen win, Danny exist was one for thousands and thousands of years. Danny is Handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

The Master will have planned for that, because that's how she lost when she was Mr Saxon. :v:

• Locked thread