Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Facebook spoiled the big reveal for me. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot to mention that I quite enjoyed the little joke about how the psychic paper revealing the Doctor as a government official apparently has a ton of bad language on it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doug Sisk posted:

Danny as a cyberman companion next year, we know the Doctor can grow to like individual ones!

Let's see, cyber-converted former lover

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

dril was right

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

It's exposition that plays into character development. The exposition is meant as much for Danny, Clara, and the Doctor as it is for us.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I learnt nothing new about Danny, Clara or the Doctor today. I did however learn a lot of nonsense I have no reason to give a poo poo about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I learnt nothing new about Danny, Clara or the Doctor today. I did however learn a lot of nonsense I have no reason to give a poo poo about.

Danny and Clara believe that nonsense and are going to act on that belief. Danny's decision to erase his own emotions is based in large part on the misinformation he's been fed.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I did hope that when Clara told him Danny was dead, the Doctor would say that of course he is, we're thousands of years in the future relative to Earth. Danny is usually dead when we go travelling.
I am very much looking forward to next weeks episode. Is there any chance that Missy's tardis will be destroyed and she'll be left stranded at the end of time? I can't remember whether the Master ever gave any indication that his last seen incarnation was a direct continuation of one that the Doctor knew about.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Danny and Clara believe that nonsense and are going to act on that belief. Danny's decision to erase his own emotions is based in large part on the misinformation he's been fed.

Danny isn't going to press Delete.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder if when Missy brought the Half-Face Man into "the promised land" it was because she was looking for the right robot/cyborg basis to create her new empire with (and settled on the Cybermen). Did she pull a bizarro "Utopia" trap like she did with the humans at the end of the universe by sending out a message to cybernetic races offering them a "promised land"?

I guess we'll find out next week! Or not!

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

PriorMarcus posted:

The Cybermen win, Danny exist was one for thousands and thousands of years. Danny is Handles.

Given that Handles was clearly intelligent, why the hell would the Cybermen need an organic component anyway? They should have re-assimilated Handles, and had some kind of organic vs non-organic cyber civil war.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Danny isn't going to press Delete.

I meant his decision as to whether or not to push the button.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
A rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrange of visitors

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Cyberman reveal would've been really really awesome...if they hadn't actually shown them in the trailer and left it to be a surprise.

God its just like in the old series where they'd call a story _______ of the Daleks and expect us to be surprised that oh no! Its the Daleks! Wow, never saw that one coming.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

dsub posted:

Why do you need to put a human skeleton into a cyberman? A skeleton doesn't have a brain. Are they all fleshy first and the fleshy parts get somehow integrated over time?

Where do you get the skeleton from? Is it dug up? Is it stolen from a morgue?

Why does your afterlife body still feel what your real body feels and how is this relevant to cybermen? If it's because the real body is in a cyberman already, then why is being cremated even brought up?
This all seems pretty obvious to me - imagine that a scientist told you that dead people could feel what was happening to their bodies, and also that you might be able to use their "soul" to animate a machine. Isn't the natural next step to allow dead people to control what is happening to their bodies? That means they'd be able to protect themselves (inside a presumably warm and sterile environment) and also feel appropriate sensations as they are walking around in the "real world".

Now this is all probably a bullshit cover story that The Master invented in order to convince people to build him Cybermen, but I think it makes sense and will be elaborated on next time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
"But ma'am, wouldn't people want their suits to have some personalization? And why does the design have these handles?"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I really want the Doctor to meet Seb and verbally chew him up and spit him out, just for old times sake!
Sadly I could easily see Seb either just being forgotten about now having served his purpose or who he is just being a throw away line. God would it be Moffat enough to make Seb the Rani? Haha Master is now a woman, Rani now a man and working together (not at all going to happen but it seems Moffat enough in theory).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This all seems pretty obvious to me - imagine that a scientist told you that dead people could feel what was happening to their bodies, and also that you might be able to use their "soul" to animate a machine. Isn't the natural next step to allow dead people to control what is happening to their bodies? That means they'd be able to protect themselves (inside a presumably warm and sterile environment) and also feel appropriate sensations as they are walking around in the "real world".

Now this is all probably a bullshit cover story that The Master invented in order to convince people to build him Cybermen, but I think it makes sense and will be elaborated on next time.
Well that's perfectly fine to spring on someone who's already dead and confused but it's kinda dumb if you went to all that work to tell people "well, when you die, you're still tied to your body" and "why don't we just cut them off as soon as we know they're dead?"

The details behind it seem to be like "your brain/consciousness is now in the cloud, but you still feel what happens to your body, but you have to choose whether or not to disconnect yourselves". I mean, Cybermen aren't exactly humane fellows so what's the real point of asking for permission exactly? I feel like the only reason this threshold exists is for Danny to reject it and allow him to be resurrected, and it doesn't seem like much of a loophole in the rules rather than there is a Danny-shaped exit he just needs to navigate to.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I do like that the premise of the Nethersphere is basically the same premise as Miracle Day.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Kind of sad they won't have John Simm back for a regeneration scene :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just watched the moment where Missy reveals who she is again and it's amazing. The Doctor's immediate reaction kind of flicks between confusion and happiness and then it cuts to Missy who is in a state of almost ecstatic anticipation now that she has revealed it and is waiting to see it impact the Doctor. Then it cuts back to the Doctor backing away in horror as the full realization of what this means hits him like a ton of bricks.

Great stuff from Capaldi of course, but also from Michelle Gomez.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If there is even a hint of a quote from Curse of Fatal Death I will lose it. Missy Master is great, I'm sure Moffat will find a way to stuff it all up though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dark Water gifs

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Of course The Master was going to be the one to break out of Gallifrey first. I mean, the reason the Time Lords didn't push the whole planet through the crack was that they were waiting for the all clear. The Master doesn't give a poo poo, he probably broke out of prison and stole a TARDIS first thing in the morning after punching out Timothy Dalton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Just watched the moment where Missy reveals who she is again and it's amazing. The Doctor's immediate reaction kind of flicks between confusion and happiness and then it cuts to Missy who is in a state of almost ecstatic anticipation now that she has revealed it and is waiting to see it impact the Doctor. Then it cuts back to the Doctor backing away in horror as the full realization of what this means hits him like a ton of bricks.

Great stuff from Capaldi of course, but also from Michelle Gomez.

Curious to know; how would you rate it against the Jacobi reveal?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I'd say Jacobi's was better, shame he died 30 seconds after. I hope The Mistress escapes next episode and becomes Capaldi's Delgado Master for the next series or so.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Ronson posted:

Given that Handles was clearly intelligent, why the hell would the Cybermen need an organic component anyway? They should have re-assimilated Handles, and had some kind of organic vs non-organic cyber civil war.

Because THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE loving ROBOTS AND gently caress HANDLES FOR THAT.

This episode is millions of times better than last week, but I have no real reaction until I know what's up with the Cybermen.

Also is the Master really just going to call herself Mistress now? MASTER IS A GENDER NEUTRAL TERM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Jacobi reveal was superior, but that's no knock against this one because I mean goddamn, it was Derek Jacobi!

I think this reveal came in a superior episode though. I always thought Utopia was a pretty uninspired episode outside of a little of the interaction between the Doctor and Jack, but it's easy to forget how bland most of the episode is because it serves mostly as a delivery mechanism for Jacobi's performance and the amazing reveal/cliffhanger.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
The BEEP BOP I'M A ROBOT part at the start was hilarious. You could see The Master was just loving with him at maximum power.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Metal Loaf posted:

Personally, I don't think anything else in Doctor Who has topped the Jacobi reveal yet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ludicro posted:

The Cyberman reveal would've been really really awesome...if they hadn't actually shown them in the trailer and left it to be a surprise.

God its just like in the old series where they'd call a story _______ of the Daleks and expect us to be surprised that oh no! Its the Daleks! Wow, never saw that one coming.

The best cock-up was the season 2 finale. They go to massive lengths to keep the Dalek reveal a secret, including removing the final shot of the first episode showing the Daleks coming out of the sphere.

But in the preview clip from the week before, they show a guy getting shot with those very distinctive Dalek lasers even though that scene isnt in the episode

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Personally, I don't think anything else in Doctor Who has topped the Jacobi reveal yet.

Well, the out-of-loving-nowhere one-two punch of John Hurt's first appearance, and the subsequent release of Night of the Doctor, are the only things that can even begin to compare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Also is the Master really just going to call herself Mistress now?

Well I'm hoping that they just called her Missy because they didn't want to give away the reveal until this episode, and now that the cat is out of the bag they just revert to "the Master" since that's already what I've started calling her/thinking of her.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm hoping that they just called her Missy because they didn't want to give away the reveal until this episode, and now that the cat is out of the bag they just revert to "the Master" since that's already what I've started calling her.
Glad to see the wikipedia entry has been so quickly updated.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
''The Mistress'' is a bit more sexualized than ''The Master'', since well, one of those two titles commonly refers to adultery.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, I really hope that the Gomez Master isn't a direct follow-up from Simm. That's my biggest issue with it - I don't really buy a post-EOT Master doing this sort of thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, the out-of-loving-nowhere one-two punch of John Hurt's first appearance, and the subsequent release of Night of the Doctor, are the only things that can even begin to compare.

Why everyone complains about the TO BE CONTINUED ending but not the big floating credit in that episode is beyond me.

The War Doctor and John Hurt is another Moffat invention I don't care for.

Night however was awesome.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm hoping that they just called her Missy because they didn't want to give away the reveal until this episode, and now that the cat is out of the bag they just revert to "the Master" since that's already what I've started calling her/thinking of her.

They didn't have to call her anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super.Jesus posted:

one of those two titles commonly refers to adultery.

The other refers to BDSM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Super.Jesus posted:

''The Mistress'' is a bit more sexualized than ''The Master'', since well, one of those two titles commonly refers to adultery.

Well yeah, as soon as the Master regenerates into a woman he starts calling the Doctor his boyfriend, having a massive crush on him and snogging him passionately. It's the perils of being a woman in Moffat's eyes.

• Locked thread