Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

What's secondary in counterspells?
I don't think anyone is, just like nobody is secondary in Indestructible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gutteral response is the only non blue and non planar chaos counter spell in newer sets I can think of.

Edit: oh, lapse of certainty is pretty cool.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 1, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Besides Lapse of Certainty there's also Frontline Medic, which is a pretty weird card. It sits in the same territory as Pearl Lake Ancient in that it's a painfully bottom-up card that just stinks of "development made this card in order to make sure deck X has some kind of counter to it/matchup X has an out".

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Gutteral response is the only non blue and non planar chaos counter spell in newer sets I can think of.

Edit: oh, lapse of certainty is pretty cool.
Judge's Familiar is technically something that a mono-white card is meant to be able to do, as is Dovescape. Chancellor of the Annex is another example.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mondrian posted:

Yeah a conditional 3/2 that you build around is way better than a 3/3 that requires you to hit 2 fetches.
Cool opinions, keep them coming.

It's conditional in the same way that Tarmogoyf is a conditional 3/4 or more for 2 mana. So, just play magic and it will happen very quickly.

I'll admit that before Treasure Cruise, Delver decks weren't really doing anything too crazy, but blue getting a 3/2 flier for one is still bullshit.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
White is allowed to have taxing counters, as white is allowed to have taxing effects in general. They're generally weak though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm amazed Delver of Secrets has made it as long as it has without it at least being in the discussion for banning. Wild Nacatl, though now unbanned, was banned for a while in Modern because a 3/3 for 1 was considered too strong. Well how about a 3/2 flier for 1 in blue, is that not too strong? Let's not pretend that this thing is going to go more than a turn or two without transforming. It is a 3/2 flier for one blue mana. The fact that a blue deck can play a 3/2 flier on turn one and then tempo you out for the rest of the game is kind of bullshit.

What I'm saying is, gently caress Delver of Secrets for being an overpowered card. Just bite the bullet and ban all blue cards, ever.

At a Modern tourney about a month ago, I had a UR Delver player with three Delvers on board game 1, and he never got to flip them (me playing Esper Mill)

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If Hornet Queen represents a violation of the sacred color pie I'd love to see MaRo's reaction to Wurmcoil Engine.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

If Hornet Queen represents a violation of the sacred color pie I'd love to see MaRo's reaction to Wurmcoil Engine.

It's an artifact, it's okay for artifacts to dip in the color pie in various colours and basically disregard it. That's kind of what they do, actually.

VV: I never said there aren't limitations, I said that artifacts are 'outside' the colour pie in that regard.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 1, 2014

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

It's an artifact, it's okay for artifacts to dip in the color pie in various colours and basically disregard it. That's kind of what they do, actually.

There have been some 400 colorless creatures printed in Magic. Only 1 of them ever has had deathtouch or lifelink printed on it, and it's the same card. You are insane if you don't think there are internal limitations on what colorless creatures are allowed to do, since you're essentially color bleeding in all directions at that point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Equilibrium posted:

Wurmcoil Engine is Phyrexian, and color bleed in the name of Phyrexia is just and moral (hence Phyrexian Mana and indeed the entire New Phyrexia set)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Artifacts have always kind of had their own slice of the color pie. They can exile/destroy creatures/permanents, mill cards, give P/T bonuses, grant keyword abilities (pretty much every single one has appeared on some card or another at this point)... a whole lot of things that one color or another doesn't get to do otherwise.

Anyway, even though it's the only artifact creature with deathtouch/lifelink, artifacts (equipment) have granted both deathtouch and lifelink for quite a long time, sometimes on the same card (Basilisk Collar). The big problem with Wurmcoil Engine isn't that it has deathtouch/lifelink, it's that it's a ridiculously efficient card for 6 colorless mana. Any deck can play it and usually get huge value out of it, even decks that probably shouldn't get to do that without diluting their mana base.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Allstone posted:

I don't think anyone is, just like nobody is secondary in Indestructible.

Red should get its anti blue only counterspells back imo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Red should get its anti blue only counterspells back imo.

No red can only have bad spells that blow up lands as the gimmick.

Demolish in every block. They should also reprint Boomerang.

Because I love blue. But I also love red.

So I'm allowed to be happy and angry at the same time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder if they're ever going to revisit land destruction. Like I dunno intead of outright destroying the land make it only produce colorless land instead or something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm a fan of giving red spells that punish their opponents for playing cards red doesn't like, myself, rather than giving red access to countermagic. Cards like Ash Zealot and Eidolon of the Great Revel. It seems to fit in the pie already in principle... but maybe the execution could use a little more work.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Went 3-1 at fnm last night with mardu midrange, losing 1of my 2 Abzan matches. The Abzan deck that I beat was played by a deaf person, there is no better cure for missing triggers than having to thumbs up every one and point out what you're doing on the card. It was the most chill game of magic I've ever played though.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 1, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Don't tell anyone but Young Pyromancer is frequently much better than Delver of Secrets :ssh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad young pyromancer eventually came into its own. It was one of those cards where I read it and instantly felt it must be busted, but it never really did anything until just recently.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
When I started playing Magic (about a year ago :v: ) the main guy I played with had 4 decks. Goblins, Elves, Tron (I built all my decks solely to beat this one at the time), and Burn (no Goblin Guides because :signings: ). Young Pyromancer showed his stuff rather well there, as did Ash Zealot (an early-game creature that my early-game creatures can't do poo poo about. WELP).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad young pyromancer eventually came into its own. It was one of those cards where I read it and instantly felt it must be busted, but it never really did anything until just recently.
I loved all the people commenting on the 4x gutshot list thinking it was for killing delvers.

Its so you can tap out for pyromancer and kill the opposing pyromancer without letting them get value

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
edit: whoops

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Minotaurs on scg right now :wtf:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And getting its rear end totally kicked at the moment.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The hat and shirt worn by the Minotaurs player, just wow, breathtaking really.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Digital Camo jacket and a Beige beret. Quite fashionable. ;-*

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Why would you not attack when you have lifelink and all the opponent has on board is a 1/1? That's major profit.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
drat! I was with the commentators on that one, I really wish the minotaurs player had gone a bit further in that game.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
And if he had swung he would have stayed in the game. R/B is not usually a defensive color combo, it seems.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man I think I'm done with competitive magic, it's not worth the disappointment that comes with drawing an extra card by accident

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao seriously dude? It's not like you lost out on a pro tour win, you hosed up and got a game loss for it, just shrug it off.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man I think I'm done with competitive magic, it's not worth the disappointment that comes with drawing an extra card by accident

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao seriously dude? It's not like you lost out on a pro tour win, you hosed up and got a game loss for it, just shrug it off.
It's not at all uncommon King, but when you only play one tourney a year it's probably more noticeable. :angel:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I've missed out on a PTQ Top 8 to drawing extra cards, I've hosed up mulligans and gone down to four in the must win match to make Day 2 of a GP, have had to call a Judge and hang my head in shame when a game winning Burning Wish resolved and I counted 17 cards in my sideboard.

Magic has left me butthurt and salty plenty of times but you have to learn to shrug it off, laugh at yourself, crack jokes. No one likes the guy who loses to something and spends all of dinner after the event whining or makes a face and says "I quit" because they messed something up. Don't be that guy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cool, I was hoping there'd be coverage of the team sealed deck building.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

GB Constellation I love you... :allears:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It has a lot of components that I was looking at for an abzan reanimator deck. I don't think I could give up on my Ashen Riders though, and of course the courser/caryatid package would be a pain to obtain.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That Jeskai Heroic Combo, oh man, just watching that... :fap:

I'm honestly interested in this because I've been trying to get the deck working and I was thinking that it was one color too many.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora

EDIT:
Fate Reforged is set 1000 years before Khans of Tarkir.

EDIT2:
Temur's past leader.

Set is monocolor but has hybrid ability costs.

EDIT3: No 3-color gold cards. Watermarks still present, clan allegiances will "be more subtle"

-Pre-release still choose-your-clan type thing

EDIT4:

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 2, 2014

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Jeskai Ascendancy is real dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Calling it: the plot is about Sarkhan going back in time to help Ugin win the battle; the third set is Tarkir but with dragons everywhere. Ugin as a colorless planeswalker either in this set or the next.

• Locked thread