Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alain Post posted:

The Vibrapulse that you get immediately before the station levels makes the Rabid Stalkers trivial.

Man, that Vibrapulse is obscene. I got one at level 16 and it was still working at level 27 or 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Anyone seeing hacked guns in game yet? Specifically Xbox 360.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I ended up buying the Pre-Sequel since I'm bored and the time sink for BL2 is kind of dead for me now.

So who should I play is if I mainly played Zer0 in the end game last time?

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Athena, probably. No stealth, but can be built very melee-heavy.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kifisonfire posted:

I ended up buying the Pre-Sequel since I'm bored and the time sink for BL2 is kind of dead for me now.

So who should I play is if I mainly played Zer0 in the end game last time?

Claptrap. Everyone should play Claptrap all the time.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
If you liked Many Must Fall, you'll love Athena's Xiphos tree. It's like having Many Must Fall on all the time, but instead of turning invisible, you can make yourself invulnerable from attack to the front.

Kaethela posted:

Claptrap. No one should ever play Claptrap ever.

Fixed that for you

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Skandranon posted:

Fixed that for you

Except that's wrong, Claptrap is fun as poo poo without having any blatantly broken build for easy coasting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing that is keeping me from diving into Claptrap is deciding which tree to level. I am sure it all balances out by mid level, but all his skills seem to have huge caveats at low levels. The fragmented tree for example seems like a huge deathtrap for leveling.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Skandranon posted:

If you liked Many Must Fall, you'll love Athena's Xiphos tree. It's like having Many Must Fall on all the time, but instead of turning invisible, you can make yourself invulnerable from attack to the front.

Fixed that for you
Well I love that skill and I hate Claptrap on principle so I feel like this answers my question.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Doppelganger pack is coming out Nov 11. I missed the first part of the Pax Aus stream where they announced it so I dunno how much it will cost.

Also 3 golden keys from the stream: 55C3B-CW5BJ-JT3JJ-33JBJ-3RJ9W

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Doppelganger pack is coming out Nov 11. I missed the first part of the Pax Aus stream where they announced it so I dunno how much it will cost.

$10. The website says the current DLC plans are Jack, another character, level cap increase, and one new campaign.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

smashpro1 posted:

$10. The website says the current DLC plans are Jack, another character, level cap increase, and one new campaign.

Wait, will that be the entirety of the DLC? Cause that is disappointing when compared to the previous game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kerrrrrrr posted:

The stream also confirmed yep, the Inspire skill does absolutely nothing.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, will that be the entirety of the DLC? Cause that is disappointing when compared to the previous game.

That's all the website says: http://borderlandsthegame.com/index.php/news/handsome-jack-is-coming-to-borderlands-the-pre-sequel-as-a-downloadable-add

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Unlucky7 posted:

It says "...the current plans are to include another character [in addition to Handsome Jack's Doppleganger], a level cap upgrade, a new campaign, and more." Who the hell knows what "and more" actually means in terms of DLC, but I'd bet that it doesn't mean anything worth a poo poo.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

He missed a little at the end there:

quote:

While the other three packs are still under development, the current plans are to include another character, a level cap upgrade, a new campaign, and more!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Oh, so I take it the level cap increase is one of the four items in the season pass? Well, as long as it isn't painfully unfun like UVHM was, I won't feel that ripped off. (it will be, I will rage)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
UVHM was badass. This game really needs a difficulty bump, too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Alain Post posted:

UVHM was badass. This game really needs a difficulty bump, too.

Shooter-difficulty bump would be preferable to RPG-difficulty bump this time around.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I totally wouldn't mind an interpretation of UVHM for the Pre-Sequel, but unless it adds a lot more than simply raising the level-cap, I don't think it'd be worth $9.99.

Unless the level-cap upgrade is going to be sold for $4.99, and the DLC campaign is larger than the BL2 equivalents and is being sold for $14.99.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Reiley posted:

Shooter-difficulty bump would be preferable to RPG-difficulty bump this time around.

They could just use the old fashioned Doom method and simply spawn more enemies at higher difficulties with denser numbers of badasses/tough enemies as well (I think they do a little of the latter already).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dyz posted:

They could just use the old fashioned Doom method and simply spawn more enemies at higher difficulties with denser numbers of badasses/tough enemies as well (I think they do a little of the latter already).

This would honestly be great, especially since this game already feels sort of sparse with enemies so an increase in density would be nice. Going the other route, where everything soaks up so much damage to the point where the only two viable playstyles are duck-and-grind machinegun mode and game-breaking norfleet poo poo mode utterly ruins all the fun fast burst-damage gun shooter stuff that is honestly the backbone of these games.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Wait, so we're only getting one campaign DLC???

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Wait, so we're only getting one campaign DLC???

Apparently.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Reiley posted:

This would honestly be great, especially since this game already feels sort of sparse with enemies so an increase in density would be nice. Going the other route, where everything soaks up so much damage to the point where the only two viable playstyles are duck-and-grind machinegun mode and game-breaking norfleet poo poo mode utterly ruins all the fun fast burst-damage gun shooter stuff that is honestly the backbone of these games.

Excuse me, you are forgetting Unstoppable Rampaging Psycho Beast Mode.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Reiley posted:

One possible downside is lag and map balance for bigger fights. While we're still making the game more FPS-difficult, maybe less raid bosses and more varied ways of getting loot, like arena challenges or maybe some sort of loot dungeon you have to progress through (filled with tougher enemies of course, or maybe multi leveled like the old Diablo games).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Raid bosses are easily the worst thing about these games, they're all just build checks and rote memory. The brass ring is capturing the feel of a level 50 Beatdown Bar Brawl fight, that was the most fun part of Borderlands 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reiley posted:

Raid bosses are easily the worst thing about these games, they're all just build checks and rote memory. The brass ring is capturing the feel of a level 50 Beatdown Bar Brawl fight, that was the most fun part of Borderlands 2.

That was extremely challenging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwm9cvXuMs

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

smashpro1 posted:

Excuse me, you are forgetting Unstoppable Rampaging Psycho Beast Mode.

Objectively the best mode.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't get the UVHM hate. Having everything be a dumb bullet sponge and constantly being behind on gear/levels was pretty much the entire game. Was it that the leveling was not as fast? Did people quit at level 52 before the initial shock wore off?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mailer posted:

I don't get the UVHM hate. Having everything be a dumb bullet sponge and constantly being behind on gear/levels was pretty much the entire game. Was it that the leveling was not as fast? Did people quit at level 52 before the initial shock wore off?

Because enemies (for the most part) weren't huge bullet sponges in TVHM. Plus normal damage guns still worked, and guns could last a few levels at least, whereas in UVHM you need to have top gear at your level if you wanna kill poo poo at a good rate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Overlevelling was really cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Genocyber posted:

Because enemies (for the most part) weren't huge bullet sponges in TVHM. Plus normal damage guns still worked, and guns could last a few levels at least, whereas in UVHM you need to have top gear at your level if you wanna kill poo poo at a good rate.

The whole idea is to not make the game stupidly trivial, since everyone playing UVHM 50+ is going to have like, purple/orange in every slot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alain Post posted:

The whole idea is to not make the game stupidly trivial, since everyone playing UVHM 50+ is going to have like, purple/orange in every slot.

And purples/oranges didn't make the game trivial, with a few exceptions (and even then it was usually only in combination with other gear, like Shamfleeting). TVHM was the perfect difficulty. Not to mention you're not going to have those for very long, since even top tier guns will only last for 5 levels at the most (with a few more for the OP poo poo like DPUH or Norfleet).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mailer posted:

The most enjoyable part of this game for me was building gear around Jakobs and Torgue shotguns, approaching close and doing as much damagei n as few shots as possible between reloads, it was a high-risk playstyle where the payoff was if your plan worked you could one- or two-shot most things and work through a crowd. UVHM's boosted health meant instead of being able to plan around going in, shooting and moving to the next fight or safe space you had to circle strafe around a dude and shoot him multiple times, putting yourself at ever-greater risk without the same reward as before. Sniping didn't work out as well either when one bullet didn't put someone down and suddenly everyone knew where you were. If you played the game just throwing walls of bullets at people the jump to UVHM wasn't very noticeable but if you liked to play fewer, bigger shots your playstyle basically vanished and it was brainless machinegun sustained fire or you're in FFYL. It's bad as a FPS.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what is letting him not reload? I played everyone but salvador

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxtool posted:

what is letting him not reload? I played everyone but salvador

Salvador has a skill that increases the odds of a gun not using ammo the lower his shields are. Right there, he's using the Rough Rider, which is a unique turtle shield that has a 0 cap and a large health boost. This means he has a constant large probability to use no ammo (another skill that activates on 0 shield also gives him something like a constant 70% ROF bonus). Also, that's a Vladof rocket launcher that has a chance to not consume ammo anyway, and he's regenning ammo all the time because 5 Shots or 6 is constantly triggering, due to all the dead people.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Purples are good but I don't think they don't come close to trivializing the game or w/e. The only legendary I can think of that really takes away a lot of the challenge is the unkempt harold.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AHungryRobot posted:

Purples are good but I don't think they don't come close to trivializing the game or w/e. The only legendary I can think of that really takes away a lot of the challenge is the unkempt harold.

Bee + Sand Hawk
Gunerang/Babymaker (Axton)
Interfacer as a lesser but still really good replacement for DPUH on Sal
Sham + Norfleet (and + Gaige if you want to be silly)
Lots of setups that required specific relics and class mods

It really depends on your definition of "trivialize". If the game was tuned so that any character using any build with any gear could beat it then most setups with the slightest amount of thought put in would destroy everything.

Edit: By "beat it", I mean do so without 30 minute fights where you slog through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mailer posted:

Bee + Sand Hawk
Gunerang/Babymaker (Axton)
Interfacer as a lesser but still really good replacement for DPUH on Sal
Sham + Norfleet (and + Gaige if you want to be silly)
Lots of setups that required specific relics and class mods

It really depends on your definition of "trivialize". If the game was tuned so that any character using any build with any gear could beat it then most setups with the slightest amount of thought put in would destroy everything.

Edit: By "beat it", I mean do so without 30 minute fights where you slog through it.

Wait the gunerang is actually useful?

• Locked thread