Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Duke Chin posted:

Oh, and die to cthulu-eye or whatever when I was like 4 sword swings away from killing it. :mad:

You're using more than just a sword, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Or go fishing and skip most of the early ore hunt.

Yeah, there's a shark you can fish out of the ocean that has pickaxe power equivalent to a molten pick.
Fishing is awesome.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MR. J posted:

Newbie guide: Get silver/tungsten or gold/platinum tools (pickaxe and sword first and foremost) and iron/lead or better armor and go poke the Eye of Cthulhu with all the Shurikens you end up finding along the way. (craft 6 lenses together at a demon alter - which is a evil mouth looking thing that hurts you if you try to hammer it to make an item that'll force the eye to spawn at night)

Once you do that, use the ore that it drops to make yourself a new weapon that'll be the best you have so far barring really lucky finds, head to the corruption/crimson and abuse bombs/TNT to get at the breakable orbs/hearts for goodies.

That's all I'll spoil for you. :unsmigghh:

Sweet - I'm already at Silver/Gold pickaxe and sword (and axe) and good armor, as I recall. I already have two of the summon-cthulu things that I ran across just by exploring. The first time he showed up was just by chance... I guess? Got the "an evil eye is watching you" notification and when I went back to the surface the big doof was waiting for me. Almost had him dead but I got trapped and off'd. Didn't know about shuriken-spam, though - Pretty sure I have a ton of those in stock.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You're using more than just a sword, I hope.
noooooooope... see above: last sentence. :smith:

Cicadas! posted:

Yeah, there's a shark you can fish out of the ocean that has pickaxe power equivalent to a molten pick.
Fishing is awesome.

Well poo poo, I need to get on this.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Duke Chin posted:

noooooooope... see above: last sentence. :smith:

Try looking around underground for a boomerang or preferrably a magic boomerang before you challenge the eye of cthulu again.

Still though, nearly killed it with just a sword? Pretty impressive.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

OrangeSoda posted:

Try looking around underground for a boomerang or preferrably a magic boomerang before you challenge the eye of cthulu again.

Still though, nearly killed it with just a sword? Pretty impressive.

Oh I have an enchanted boomerang - my sword did more damage though so I went with that. I think, since then, I've found an even better boomerang so, failing or running out of shurikens I'll go that route.

Thanks for the headsup, folks!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Boomerang or a decent bow are good, but people usually recommend shurikens because they will pierce through and kill any mini-eyes the boss spawns before hitting the boss itself.

I don't think there's any boss you really want to try and take on with a sword. Close combat weapons are good for normal enemies, but for tougher enemies you need to keep at least a small distance away. This is why weapons like boomerangs, chakrams, swords that shoot lasers etc are classified as "melee" damage for the purposes of buffs/armor that effect that stat.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Note to self: make a better bow. I have a poo poo load of arrows.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Duke Chin posted:

Note to self: make a better bow. I have a poo poo load of arrows.

Then, take those arrows and make them into flaming arrows.

Also save your gold ore, as in don't craft it into bars, it's a very useful ingredient for some potions.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Then, take those arrows and make them into flaming arrows.

Other note to self: Let the deforestation and clear cutting begin. :v:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The secret to winning the early game is to get a bunch of booze and silk and craft it all into 40 damage molotovs.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Is anyone "following" the update and aware of when it's coming out, roughly?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Read posted:

Is anyone "following" the update and aware of when it's coming out, roughly?
No release date has been set, and no estimate given. So it's anyone's guess.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used the chain knife almost exclusively until I was able to craft the meteorite armor and space gun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Duke Chin posted:

The first time he showed up was just by chance... I guess? Got the "an evil eye is watching you" notification and when I went back to the surface the big doof was waiting for me.
A decent number of the "basic" bosses spawn on their own, based on certain milestones that you achieve. The Eye is just the first. They all get announced by messages like that, though, so if you don't feel like getting facepunched, just hide in the underground layer.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Also, save some iron/lead ore (don't smelt it into bars) as you can make ironskin potions with those which will help a LOT during boss fights.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really, really wish there were a way to turn bars back into raw ore. Nothing like sitting on a bunch of ingots you'll never need when you could be sitting on a castle's worth of metal bricks you'll also never need.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Or allow bars to be used in less-efficient recipes for potions/bricks. Would be a fair tradeoff.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Is there a nice, convenient list of craftable blocks that make buildings look cool? I'm building a tower fortress with cannon crenelations but the only material I've used thus far are grey bricks and their wall equivalent.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Is there a nice, convenient list of craftable blocks that make buildings look cool? I'm building a tower fortress with cannon crenelations but the only material I've used thus far are grey bricks and their wall equivalent.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Block
Stone slabs are always good for huge castles.

Somebody on 4chan made a picture of how a house made out of each individual block would look like, but it's appearetly not on the wiki.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 31, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The very, very first time I fought the Eye of Cthulu was with two other human players; I think we had at best Iron gear and maybe some Silver melee weapons. I managed to sacrifice myself and hit the eye with a stick of dynamite and I think that's the only reason we managed to win in time for the sunrise.

Still my favorite moment in the game, 200 hours later. (Well that or drowning another human in a dirt cage after they threw their pickax by mistake.)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I feel a sudden urge to seig heil.

Seriously, though, this is so much more helpful than the image on the wiki. Thank you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

All this sort of thing is why I keep getting intimidated by what's ahead every time I turn the game on and start digging up tin or copper while prepping baby's first log cabin :ohdear:

I mean, just the concept of Hard mode spitting corruption and hallow everywhere in my happy little work is one thing, that I could stubborn my way through (why would I make a separate world I already have one :downs:). But every time I hear about how bonkers later bosses end up, or have become, even with fancypants equipment and custom boss arenas built for the task resulting in old pros falling flat, yeesh.

EDIT: vvv I get the concept of a training/collecting/craftin montage to prepare for a boss. But when you hear stuff that sounds like "I built a combat arena that heals me passively while using the biggest minigun on the planet and :fuckoff: still happens", gives a different impression than "Oh, it's just testing your limits". It's not hard mode itself that worries me if I reach it (outside of ":argh: I liked that desert and I was too lazy to section off chunks of the entire planet" corruption/hallow messing with the scenery), so much as "Well, this boss is totally bullshit bullet hell /can't kill it before the time limit even if I have the power of the gods shooting out of every orifice." sort of things all the talk about X lategame toy got nerfed into being useless gives the impression of.

The only boss I bothered to build a specialized arena for was Eye of Cthulu. It's really not that hard if you sink some time into gearing up. And even then, the arena was just some wooden platforms in the air and a campfire in the middle.

Also, it's not so much that hard mode is too hard, I think, as that pre-hardmode is too easy. Hardmode is very strict about gear progression, while in pre-hardmode you can craft a gem staff before killing a single boss and that'll kill every single pre-hardmode boss with relative ease.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Hard-mode is tedious, is the thing. The mechbosses have so much drat health, most of the unique monster-drop weapons prior to beating Plantera or doing Holiday wave events aren't of much or any use, and it's loving boring in an open-world game to have to say 'well, this piece of equipment/entire tier of equipment is literally useless, I have to find or make one of these two/three things to progress'. I can see the appeal of arena-building for some, multiplayer for others, and maybe some people find the bosses to be appropriately challenging without being boring, but I don't understand how restrictive the power creep is. I've played that game twice already. The fact that there isn't much in the way of better alternatives kind of kills a lot of the replay value and just makes me not want to ever play the game as anything but glorified legos, which it's okay at, it's just a shame that early hardmode is kind of boring.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My biggest problem in Hardmode is that almost everything is now reliant on rare drops. There are so many items with less than 1% drop rate in hardmode. Prior to that it felt like most monster resources were dropped in decent quantity, but you needed a few, and could use those materials to craft a bunch of different things. But in hardmode enemies just drop completed equipment, and then rarely. And for as many new enemies as there are, most of them don't drop anything interesting to begin with, and looking over the loot tables of hardmode enemies almost all of them just drop cash, making the very act of killing them feel a lot more pointless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, sounds about right.

"Ugh it's not actually HARD guys, anyone can do it with some common sense :rolleyes:" Vs "Well, yeah but it's also kind of a slog, more so with each 'balance patch' :v:." is the impression I've been getting. Both are most likely true at the same time.

My biggest enemy is my short attention span. "Making baby's first log cabin got me a Guide, Merchant, and Deomlisionist living in my 3 room rectangle. Two legendary boomerangs with identical stats whoo, if only I could dual wield these things."

WEEKS LATER: There, now I have helped my friend get halloween cookies for all his alts in FFXIV... Wait, what was I doing?

EDIT: It would also probably help if I either A: stopped being terrible at eyeballing block distances. Or B: Stopped obsessing about making things specific sizes. I make a few stone floored rectangle rooms in about the same time it would probably take others to make those giant OP picture layouts :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 1, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I got to the end-game legit last year right before they added the Frost Moon or whatever, and it always felt like just the right balance of tough and fair, of course becoming hilariously broken after you beat everything and had full Spectre gear, but by then all that was really left was farming moon bosses or rare drops. Then they nerfed a bunch of the items I used and buffed the bosses and the idea of trying to do it again while being weaker against harder enemies is a whole lot of gently caress that.

They've always taken the "this is the one feasible way to beat this boss without it being insanely difficult or tedious so rather than buff other stuff to make it more useful we're just going to make that item suck until the other items seem good by comparison." It's the dumbest way to balance a game.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 1, 2014

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

My biggest problem in Hardmode is that almost everything is now reliant on rare drops. There are so many items with less than 1% drop rate in hardmode. Prior to that it felt like most monster resources were dropped in decent quantity, but you needed a few, and could use those materials to craft a bunch of different things. But in hardmode enemies just drop completed equipment, and then rarely. And for as many new enemies as there are, most of them don't drop anything interesting to begin with, and looking over the loot tables of hardmode enemies almost all of them just drop cash, making the very act of killing them feel a lot more pointless.

The only upside is you can get a decent chunk of change pretty quickly and spend it at the Traveling Merchant, a Gatligator early on can make a big difference and the Pulse Bow is fun as hell. I agree otherwise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tenebrais posted:

I guess Redigit ... came down on the less fun side.

The story of Terraria's development in a nutshell. The game where auto-swing on a weapon is a feature and not a default setting.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The game evolving into a shmup by the time you hit mech bosses is extremely good and fun, the first time I soloed the Twins was very satisfying. I'm glad Redigit has been ignoring the people who have been repeatedly saying the game is impossible and unfun every patch since he put in the cooldown on health potions.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Devour or Fire posted:

The game evolving into a shmup by the time you hit mech bosses is extremely good and fun, the first time I soloed the Twins was very satisfying. I'm glad Redigit has been ignoring the people who have been repeatedly saying the game is impossible and unfun every patch since he put in the cooldown on health potions.

Every time I fly in circles around a boss for twenty minutes while shooting at it because that's the only way to avoid being destroyed by their AI of "fly towards you while shooting infinite undodgeable projectiles" I jizz a little and I thank god that the way to increase difficulty isn't to give each succeeding boss more, more complex attack patterns to keep track of but to just increase their HP and damage and how many undodgeable lasers they can fire at one time.

I tell you when I first played through Super Metroid my only thought while playing was "Ugh, this is such garbage. Why isn't every boss functionally the same as Spore Spawn except with more and more spores to dodge??? It's like these jokers have never even designed a video game before."

(e: FYI don't worry I know you were being facetious, I'll just take any opportunity to bitch about Terraria's garbage boss design)

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 1, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dijon du jour posted:

Every time I fly in circles around a boss for twenty minutes while shooting at it because that's the only way to avoid being destroyed by their AI of "fly towards you while shooting infinite undodgeable projectiles" I jizz a little and I thank god that the way to increase difficulty isn't to give each succeeding boss more, more complex attack patterns to keep track of but to just increase their HP and damage and how many undodgeable lasers they can fire at one time.

I tell you when I first played through Super Metroid my only thought while playing was "Ugh, this is such garbage. Why isn't every boss functionally the same as Spore Spawn except with more and more spores to dodge??? It's like these jokers have never even designed a video game before."
I like the idea of fast paced combat in Terraria based on pattern recognition and dodging, but yeah, like you said, a lot of the later bosses become projectile spam, and those projectiles move so quickly you can't dodge them unless you're already moving fast enough with perpendicular momentum. In a SHMUP, you have no momentum, can move instantly and at full acceleration in any direction, and projectiles generally have precise patterns and don't move at near-instant speeds. When you add gravity, platform reliance (even if you have wings, since you can't fly forever), inertia, larger hitboxes, and superfast lasers, that whole gameplay pattern doesn't quite work the same way.
I mean, I really like some of the early bosses. Skeletron is a good example of a boss I had trouble with at first, until I really paid attention to the patterns he was using, and it was fun because his head and hands both had their own patterns and you had to be wary of both. But even when later bosses do have patterns, there's either no point because they're so hard to dodge, or you've just got so many things to focus on at once there's no way to keep up. It becomes a clusterfuck, and that early satisfaction of learning a pattern and being really alert and responsive to it goes out the window.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vib Rib posted:

I like the idea of fast paced combat in Terraria based on pattern recognition and dodging, but yeah, like you said, a lot of the later bosses become projectile spam, and those projectiles move so quickly you can't dodge them unless you're already moving fast enough with perpendicular momentum. In a SHMUP, you have no momentum, can move instantly and at full acceleration in any direction, and projectiles generally have precise patterns and don't move at near-instant speeds. When you add gravity, platform reliance (even if you have wings, since you can't fly forever), inertia, larger hitboxes, and superfast lasers, that whole gameplay pattern doesn't quite work the same way.
I mean, I really like some of the early bosses. Skeletron is a good example of a boss I had trouble with at first, until I really paid attention to the patterns he was using, and it was fun because his head and hands both had their own patterns and you had to be wary of both. But even when later bosses do have patterns, there's either no point because they're so hard to dodge, or you've just got so many things to focus on at once there's no way to keep up. It becomes a clusterfuck, and that early satisfaction of learning a pattern and being really alert and responsive to it goes out the window.

Yeah, in defense of the game, the pre-hardmode bosses are just fine, because you are mostly earthbound the developers had to actually take into account player reaction time and mobility.

Imo as great as wings are for exploration, they are the worst thing to be introduced, boss-wise. Because now the player can easily keep themselves far out of the reach of a physical-damage-dealing boss like the pre-hardmode ones so the developers compensated by making postgame into a bullet hell, without thinking about whether that was actually fun gameplay. At least that's my theory for why hardmode is so laser-heavy.

e: Then again having more teleporting bosses like the Brain of Cthulhu would have negated the mobility the wings give, so maybe I don't know what is going through the developers' heads when they're designing these hardmode bosses. :shrug:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 1, 2014

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

dijon du jour posted:

e: Then again having more teleporting bosses like the Brain of Cthulhu would have negated the mobility the wings give, so maybe I don't know what is going through the developers' heads when they're designing these hardmode bosses. :shrug:

Absolute Virtue Syndrome. "They aren't beating bosses the way I want them to be beaten! We must punish them! :bahgawd:"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's cool though, Fishron moves so fast that in effect they might as well be teleporting. Same for the Ice Queen, except that the Ice Queen isn't really dangerous in comparison.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I gave up on the game after trying the Pumpkin Moon a few times; arena building is tedious for me and I wasn't about to farm for hours to get a chest key mold. The game does narrow in Hard Mode in a way that makes it less fun, but it's still pretty fun. I agree that the open feeling of early/midgame is the best though, when you can find a boomerang in a chest and be like "oh, awesome!" and use that for a while as opposed to "must grind out this one specific spell so I can beat Plantera" or whatever.

I only started recently but it does sound like they've been reducing options intentionally in the endgame, and that seems dumb to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Devour or Fire posted:

The game has been a million times more fun and enjoyable to me ever since I installed a patcher that removes the potion cooldown and makes reforging guaranteed to produce something better than what you had. So gently caress that attitude square in the cornhole.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'll admit, I'm not sure I fully understand the potion cooldown thing either. I mean, great, sure, you've implemented a balance patch, of sorts, making it harder for someone to just buy their way to victory if they're in a tight spot except oh wait poo poo magic (mana potions) and guns (bullets, high entry cost) still exist and basically do the same thing but a little more slowly because you also need to tailor your fighting style/arena to them.

Melee was the only thing really hosed by the potion change and melee is already pretty heavily chumped; the only other thing potion cooldown does is force hardmode boss fights to be more tedious, typically.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Prior to the potion change it was impossible to die once you had a supply of potions without being 1-shot or extremely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having trouble understanding why people get upset that they have to fight strong monsters to get items whose only purpose is to fight stronger monsters. Do you just want to stare at projectiles as you fire them into the open sky.

• Locked thread