Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

knob posted:

So is there anything absolutely recommended before going into NG+? I've played through all of the games and am on my second play through of DS2, and I've never bothered with NG+ (let alone bonfire ascetics). I've finished Sunken King, most of Ivory King (I haven't really ventured into the frigid outskirts), and haven't even gotten to the first boss of Iron King (I loved the other two DLCs, but I really am not liking Iron King. I turned on all of the elevators and just kind of lost interest and moved to Ivory King).

As of right now, I'm more a lot more interested in pve than I am pvp, if that matters.

Nope. Go to that boss. Now. If youve reactivated brume tower then it's an elevator ride and a jaunt and a run to the bonfire right next to it.
Then go to that second boss.
Iron King has the best DLC bosses that aren't Sinh.

Why do the DLCs have to have their bosses prefaced by bonfires though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tattered Cloth, Transparent Aurous, and Northwarder are the lightest options to keep you decent / hide your backjerky from view. Gettin real nice and nude is always something to consider.

Counterpoint: fashion.

(Northwarder looks pretty nice, though.)

I'm lucky enough to use light weapons (or medium-weight, like the Watcher Greatsword), so I can get away with wearing things like Llewellyn or even some pieces of Alva while staying at fairly low equip burden. I haven't really tested my stamina regen, though, and I tend to wear Chloranthy +2 anyway.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why do the DLCs have to have their bosses prefaced by bonfires though?

Because they believe in non-lovely level design?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Flytrap posted:

And yet they still designed the Frigid Outskirts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

2/3 of the Iron King bosses are among the best in the game in my opinion, I'd go back and give it another try were I you. Though you do need to have the ashen mist heart to get at the best one (he's easy, but he's also super fun). Finish all the areas before you move on, even the dumb ones so you never have the feeling that you need to go back to them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

And yet they still designed the Frigid Outskirts.
Frigid Outskirts was the worst one. But all the co-op DLC areas where rather lovely.
I thought one of the goals of them was to show the DLC off to those people who didn't yet own them and convince them to buy it. So you'd think From would have put some effort into making them fun. But I guess Dark Souls 2 being "super-difficult" was more important.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

After the Skeleton Lords boss this Skele-dude decided to just hang out

"you have to leave now mister"

"they are gone now, I am sorry

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Counterpoint: fashion.

(Northwarder looks pretty nice, though.)

I'm lucky enough to use light weapons (or medium-weight, like the Watcher Greatsword), so I can get away with wearing things like Llewellyn or even some pieces of Alva while staying at fairly low equip burden. I haven't really tested my stamina regen, though, and I tend to wear Chloranthy +2 anyway.

Tattered is pimp as gently caress on a female.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just cleared Ivory King I think. I just killed the burnt king with 2 phantom buddies and all of the Loyce knights. I gotta say, that boss is fun as hell when you get as many allies as possible. I'm assuming the bonfire I'm missing in Eleum Loyce is the co op area, how do I get to it and is it worth doing? Is it as bad as Sunken King's co op area?

I also really want to say how much I loved this loving dlc, especially the interconnected level design with all the shortcuts and sections of the level visible from other sections.
The bosses were pretty fantastic as well. I got completely wrecked when I tried to take on Aava at first and realized it was nearly impossible to beat as it was, so I explored some more and eventually found the priestess eye and managed to kill it.
I took on the Ivory King early on and realized that even with two phantoms I was getting completely swarmed, so I explored some more and found the Loyce knights locked up around the level.
The bosses both had good gimmicks that required you to explore the entire level, even though the path to the end of the dlc was basically just two back to back boss doors with no enemies in between. The fact that the level was so fun to explore just made it even better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You need a key to open a door guarded by one of those big guys with the lances. You'll know him when you see him, as he's behind a bunch of generic hollows just chillin on the ground. It's probably the worst coop area, but early in you can find a version of Lucatiel's hat without the mask.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Tattered is pimp as gently caress on a female.

It is. I actually like it on males, too, but just because my first Dark Souls character was a male pyromancer and that gear made Blighttown easier for me with its delicious poison resist.

axe
Jul 28, 2006
Student of the John Zoidberg School of Medicine
So I decided to pick up DS2 again now that all of the DLC is out. I stopped playing before any of the balance patches and was wondering if there are any new/tweaked weapons I should try that are huge damage per swing? I was using a +5 lightning dragon tooth with a STR/FAI build when I played through initially.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Minimum amount of poise needed is enough to not get staggered by throwing knives. After that it becomes much less useful imo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

axe posted:

So I decided to pick up DS2 again now that all of the DLC is out. I stopped playing before any of the balance patches and was wondering if there are any new/tweaked weapons I should try that are huge damage per swing? I was using a +5 lightning dragon tooth with a STR/FAI build when I played through initially.

Chicken Leg

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jesus Christ, frozen outskirts is taxing on me like no other area is. I think I must have been blindly following the wall for a good 5-10 minutes while dealing with reindeer ambushes and praying that Vengarl would last another fight. I was probably just making a big loop too. I got the feeling I was headed the wrong way when I stopped seeing constant bloodstains and messages and there was just nothing on the skyline when the snowstorm lulled. I'm honestly loving the poo poo out of this place, though I know that's going to change big time in a few deaths. Is the boss as annoying as the co op boss in sunken king?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flytrap posted:

Putting a boss directly after a bonfire is pretty much completely against the souls design philosophy so that is pretty lovely level design actually. Like, they knew the Fume Knight was hard and so they put the bonfire for him a literal yard away from his arena with 0 enemies in the way. Fume Knight is a good fight but boy is that way more forgiving than these games usually are. Most of the DLC bosses are like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find it to be the easiest of the coop bosses. The reward is the worst of the lot, though. Here's a tip, though: turn around from your spawn point and walk to the summon zone. You should be able to see a building off in the distance when the whiteout ends. Go that way, following the edge doesn't get you anywhere. I did the same thing first try, though I did not find the summon area. Spent like 15 minutes in the blizzard.

CJacobs posted:

Putting a boss directly after a bonfire is pretty much completely against the souls design philosophy so that is pretty lovely level design actually. Like, they knew the Fume Knight was hard and so they put the bonfire for him a literal yard away from his arena with 0 enemies in the way. Fume Knight is a good fight but boy is that way more forgiving than these games usually are.

Just because that was how it worked before does not make it good design. Also there are enemies in the room connecting the bonfire and boss arena, you just probably won't set them off and they're easy to leave behind even if you do.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 2, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I sure do love that they made it so it's extremely hard to beat the co op bosses without co op partners, and also made it so you have to trek through some of the worst boss runs in the series so that nobody will actually want to co op. Way to kick the difficulty up a notch From. :thumbsup:

What's the reward for beating the twin tigers? I doubt I have any more than 2 or 3 blizzard treks in me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm preeeeetty sure that there's nothing behind them. No flower skirt or mask this time, it's just the boss soul and the normal souls you get for winning the fight.

The best way to get to the boss is to just kill the dumb reindeer until they go extinct.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 2, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Twin tigers is easiest doing solo if you can damage race it. If you can't it might be simpler to co-op. The reward is only really useful if you like larping as a loyce knight or you think very small health regen on shields is good. I've heard some people claim the sword is pretty decent for a dex build.

Edit:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm preeeeetty sure that there's nothing behind them. No flower skirt or mask this time, it's just the boss soul and the normal souls you get for winning the fight.

The best way to get to the boss is to just kill the dumb reindeer until they go extinct.

The best way to kill them is to summon the two NPC dorks, run to the boss door, unsummon two dorks if they are still alive, eat up a brightbug, hope you have some high damage weapon like fume knight greatsword, smack the first tiger to death before the second one has a chance to spawn(the second one comes at 50% if you're alone) and finally if you want to save time murder the second cat before he can do his dumb regen move.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 2, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You know what, I'm fine with not killing them. I already got two great rewards from exploring the outskirts, I'll just quit while I still think it's a fun area.

Another question that was bugging me. Is it possible to kill Aava in her invisible state?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

CJacobs posted:

Putting a boss directly after a bonfire is pretty much completely against the souls design philosophy so that is pretty lovely level design actually. Like, they knew the Fume Knight was hard and so they put the bonfire for him a literal yard away from his arena with 0 enemies in the way. Fume Knight is a good fight but boy is that way more forgiving than these games usually are. Most of the DLC bosses are like that.

Long boss runs are my least favorite thing about the series. The Gwyn boss run still haunts me to this day. Or Manus, although that didn't grate on me as much. Still, the placement is completely arbitrary and putting a bonfire as far away as possible just increases the tedium. Although hating it at first, I have to admit Demon's Souls way was the best because allowing checkpoints only upon boss death constrained the placement and level design (which I consider a plus given the result).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoy having my time pointlessly wasted every time I die to a gigantic spike in the difficulty curve. Each time I went back to fume knight's door I just thought "ugh why isn't this taking three minutes longer? Bad level design."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i haven't gotten this game yet but i'm curious, how do they reconcile rare drop items with limited enemy spawns? is it just a "well, guess you're out of luck this run" thing?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i haven't gotten this game yet but i'm curious, how do they reconcile rare drop items with limited enemy spawns? is it just a "well, guess you're out of luck this run" thing?

That's exactly what it is, and in fact there are several sets of armor that only drop (in 4 separate pieces) from an enemy that will only appear a single time on New Game+ or above, with just a small chance to drop each single piece of the armor. It's incredibly stupid although you can usually ignore it if you aren't set on getting a specific set or armor or weapon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I enjoy having my time pointlessly wasted every time I die to a gigantic spike in the difficulty curve. Each time I went back to fume knight's door I just thought "ugh why isn't this taking three minutes longer? Bad level design."

This but unironically.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tollymain posted:

It basically doesn't and I'm pretty amazed that the game hasn't patched in guaranteed drops like they did with Dark Souls 1 yet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait, how does that work in ds1? i am gonna take another shot at that game when they move online over from gfwl, but i don't remember there being anything like that back when i did play it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It doesn't, run-of-the-mill enemies infinitely respawn in DS1. They used the same item drop system but removed enemies respawning infinitely. DS1 doesn't have guaranteed drops unless the enemy is a one-time spawn one which is a special case.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no i mean the guaranteed drops thing, not limited enemy spawns. unless you mean that unlimited enemies is effectively guaranteed to drop you the thing sooner or later, in which case i guess technically that's correct :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only one-time enemy guaranteed DS1 item drop I can even think of besides bosses and NPCs (some bosses have rare drops too though) is that mimic that drops the mimic head when you kill them all. Maybe it's been too long since I played it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 2, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tollymain posted:

no i mean the guaranteed drops thing, not limited enemy spawns. unless you mean that unlimited enemies is effectively guaranteed to drop you the thing sooner or later, in which case i guess technically that's correct :haw:

Yeah, basic enemies respawn indefinitely so you can farm them as long as you want for whatever item. Rare enemies (ie: mimics, boars, gargoyles) that don't respawn will drop their respective item(s) when you kill the last of their kind.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Rather, they are guaranteed to drop their gear by the time you kill the last one. You might get some stuff from the first one, and then the last one doesn't drop duplicates sometimes. (I think that's how it worked?)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there was poo poo like the black knight in burg that always dropped a weapon but I think the one that it dropped was random

id be fine with the ds2 system if bonfire aescetics weren't such a pain in the rear end to get. theres no loving reason not to open that system up early, just like pvp in ds1, but for some reason they did it!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I honestly wish there were more insanely obnoxious to farm things like the Catarina set or Durgos Hat which aren't game changers, but look cool and give you something to shoot for when item farming. I was honestly sad that they put those two in the dlc areas. There's not many more insanely rare sets to farm for anymore. Most things are simple, if occasionally tedious to get.

I do think regular old armor sets from normal enemies have pretty bad drop rates in a lot of areas though, which is stupid when you have limited spawns. Some sort of check where enemies tend to drop pieces that you don't currently have over ones you do would be really nice, though I doubt it's ever gonna happen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Llewellyn set is stupid and it makes no sense where you get it from. :colbert:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I honestly wish there were more insanely obnoxious to farm things like the Catarina set or Durgos Hat

You're a bad person.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I honestly wish there were more insanely obnoxious to farm things

Please never make video games, ever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't mean make everything more obnoxious to farm, just put more rare and obscure poo poo in into the mix, stuff like the old Mirrah greatsword or the visible Auros set that aren't going to give you any real edge over players who don't want to bother with farming them. Most things should be easier to farm out for sure, but sometimes it's fun to grind out some obscure, rare as hell item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Verviticus posted:

there was poo poo like the black knight in burg that always dropped a weapon but I think the one that it dropped was random

I still remember taking the time to kill him right at the very beginning of the game and he dropped a black knight sword which ended up trivializing a large part of the game for me lmao