Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

katkillad2 posted:

The short answer is nobody knows and those items are valued based on rarity of rolling chests. I think it's probably worth hanging on the the Xorak as I believe the mercenaries have the highest chance of going up in value when we know what their abilities are.

The PVE items will be tied to a specific card, who knows if that card will be worth playing or if the piece of armor will be worth using. So personally I would sell any of the armor at the stupid prices people are listing them if anyone is actually buying them.

I'm pretty sure, and this hasn't been confirmed that I know of, that the equipment you currently get from chests go along with the PvE cards you get from chests. Water Elements and aqua mask, Lightning elemental and spark mitts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I heard that Colin's vanity card for Set 2 is a 2 cost dude who gains a random Inspire ability, could be sick if he gets Spellshield

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Had a new one today: I started intentionally grabbing Giant Army Ants in the last half of the draft. Turns out they synergize nicely with ruby aura and the +3 attack hero ability. First time I ever drafted them intentionally and first time I ever cast them in a match. They were very nice every time I drew one and helped twist the knife in during the 2nd game (there was no 3rd) of the finals.

Vilgan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 2, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Giant Army Ants are, interestingly enough, not actually strictly worse than the Wild equivalent (the ogre). If they only cost 2 like the ogre, they couldn't be inspired by the swiftstrike, speed, or +X/+0 ruby inspirers (or the +2/+0 one in set 2). I still don't draft them often and play them even less often, but in the right deck they're actually pretty nice.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zurai posted:

Giant Army Ants are, interestingly enough, not actually strictly worse than the Wild equivalent (the ogre). If they only cost 2 like the ogre, they couldn't be inspired by the swiftstrike, speed, or +X/+0 ruby inspirers (or the +2/+0 one in set 2). I still don't draft them often and play them even less often, but in the right deck they're actually pretty nice.
I got to draft like 6+ of them [since no one ever wants them] with Oath (and an assortment of Crushing Blow/Ruby Aura) which turned out to be pretty hilariously good.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
It's been a very long time since I've had a tournament that didn't end with me submitting a ticket.

For a game whose business model is "beat up on MTGO," they're not even clearing that incredibly low bar.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Istvun posted:

It's been a very long time since I've had a tournament that didn't end with me submitting a ticket.

For a game whose business model is "beat up on MTGO," they're not even clearing that incredibly low bar.

Priority bug to be fixed on tuesdays patch which should shore up all them tickets.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Here is Stovetop posted:

Priority bug to be fixed on tuesdays patch which should shore up all them tickets.

Eh, the problem I've been having is mostly that either the standings or games don't load for me.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Istvun posted:

Eh, the problem I've been having is mostly that either the standings or games don't load for me.
That's so bizarre, I've been grinding 8 mans a fair bit recently and the only bugs I've really encountered have been from standings not displaying correctly, but rounds will progress as normal if you just sit tight and wait. This might not be the same bug you are experiencing, but might be food for thought, bummer you've had a bad run in that regard lately. Feel like I've been one of the lucky ones with very few tickets I've had to submit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LightReaper posted:

Feel like I've been one of the lucky ones with very few tickets I've had to submit.

I feel like have a stash of 10 draft tickets is pretty lucky.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Istvun posted:

Is it the problem where you have blank tournament lobby and in the standings everyone is at 0?

If that's the case, just wait a bit, it'll load up as people finish games. It's happened to me before.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

BenRGamer posted:

Is it the problem where you have blank tournament lobby and in the standings everyone is at 0?

If that's the case, just wait a bit, it'll load up as people finish games. It's happened to me before.

The standings page updates, but the lobby is blank. And I tried waiting once and got dropped, but when I relog fast enough I can usually get into the next game.

Also enough people are willing to take green cards that just blindly forcing that deck isn't an automatic 3-0 anymore. This frustrates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LightReaper posted:

That's so bizarre, I've been grinding 8 mans a fair bit recently and the only bugs I've really encountered have been from standings not displaying correctly, but rounds will progress as normal if you just sit tight and wait. This might not be the same bug you are experiencing, but might be food for thought, bummer you've had a bad run in that regard lately. Feel like I've been one of the lucky ones with very few tickets I've had to submit.

Other people seem to be running into pass priority but it never hurts me yet. *knock on wood*. I think it's because I have the habit from alpha of always waiting a second before pressing on the button.

My Neat Tip of the Day:

Chimes of the Zodiac interacts really interestingly with other cards. The second card doesn't count as "entering play" so it doesn't trigger effects like Skarn that rely on being "played," but on the other hand, it does create an actual duplicate card, so that (for example) Chiming a Ragefire sends *two* Ragefires back into your deck, not just one.

Istvun posted:

The standings page updates, but the lobby is blank. And I tried waiting once and got dropped, but when I relog fast enough I can usually get into the next game.

This has happened to me three or four times but I've always just stayed in game and eventually the display catches up and the game moves forward (with me in it, that is). I've never gotten kicked out of an actual game for it. Are you just quitting out when you see the standings page not displaying or something?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 2, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
If yall don't want your free draft tickets, I'll gladly buy them.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately the tickets are non-transferable, but they almost certainly will be usable in Set 2 drafts so I'm sure people won't feel too bad in the "soon" future (I'm dying to find out how much longer we gotta wait!)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Also have never gotten hit by the priority bug yet, I wonder if it has anything to do with the F5 and F8 buttons or whatever because I never use those and just mouse click.

I get the lobby display issue just about every time, but it's never dropped me or kept me from playing.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Just started playing, getting bored of hearthstone now. What's the best way to build my collection? I went orc starter. Any good decks I can build quickly? Happy to drop some money to start, maybe 1500 plat or so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

adamarama posted:

Just started playing, getting bored of hearthstone now. What's the best way to build my collection? I went orc starter. Any good decks I can build quickly? Happy to drop some money to start, maybe 1500 plat or so.

Orc starter is the best starter. You can build a competitive "gorefeast" deck pretty fast, esp since you started with orcs so already have one gorefeast. You can get a good idea of the current meta here: https://hextcg.com/september-vip-undefeated-decklists/

As for building a collection quickly I would recommend trying drafting and sealed play -- drafting if you have any previous TCG drafting experience, sealed if you don't. The way the prizes work out for sealed it's about equivalent to just opening packs if you win nothing, and if you win more of course you win more. For drafting you can rare-draft and get lots of extra rare cards and, again, if you win more you win more; probably want to start with Swiss till you get a feel for the game.

Oh, and buy and sell everything on the AH, don't use the in-game store for anything except platinum. Always better deals on the AH.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
People make some questionable choices in drafting - I've gotten Mirror Knight and Extinction passed to me today. I would think if you got Mirror Knight in your first set, you would want to build your draft around it, even if you didn't want to sell it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MrBims posted:

People make some questionable choices in drafting - I've gotten Mirror Knight and Extinction passed to me today. I would think if you got Mirror Knight in your first set, you would want to build your draft around it, even if you didn't want to sell it.

Sometimes people join the queue then go AFK and miss the start of their draft. Also I've seen a few people in chat complaining about a bug where they don't connect until 2-3 picks into the draft. You can usually tell if the timer runs to zero on the first pick...and you hope it's the person next to you passing something nice.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they picked a Volcannon :clint:

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

MrBims posted:

Haha, from the sounds of it you're having a fairly profitable start to Hex, are you at a net positive in platinum invested or just focusing on building up a collection?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Grim posted:

Maybe they picked a Volcannon :clint:
never not draft volcannon unless a 2000+ plat rare drops

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

LightReaper posted:

Haha, from the sounds of it you're having a fairly profitable start to Hex, are you at a net positive in platinum invested or just focusing on building up a collection?

I took hits bad in three comp drafts this morning, but still plat-positive with the majority of it sitting in the auction house at undercutting prices. I don't see myself doing constructed any time soon, so every rare goes up for sale. I'm going to count myself lucky if I can stay on infinite swiss drafting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I saw a Volcannon 6th pick in pack 3 in the draft I'm currently in. Snapped it, picked Bertram and Volcannon mostly won game 1.

Edit: After I mostly jokingly told my round 2 opponent to stop drawing spells, he proceeded to call me bad at Hex and Magic, because my deck was full of bad cards that didn't do anything.

He was referring to my Inner Conflict and my two Mesmerizes. When I attempted to explain to him that Pacifism is good, he laughed at me. When I said that Conflict is better, he said "you're a moron, it's not permanent, ltp" and then ragequit.

It should be noted that Guard Dog and Paladin of 3/5 for 5 were among the cards that HE played. He also ragequit in game 2 because of misclicks.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 3, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Just a reminder for new players, the tournament sign up is ending soon! PM me or post here with your Hex in-game name and preferred play times (UCT).

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Volcannon no joke, I was running mono wild until one of my last rounds and scooped a volcannon and it carried the deck with a splash of blue + bertram in an otherwise mono deck to sweep the draft. That card is super dumb.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

It should be noted that Guard Dog and Paladin of 3/5 for 5 were among the cards that HE played. He also ragequit in game 2 because of misclicks.

I see so many guard dogs on the other side of the board. So many! Those and shield trainers.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just drafted a super aggro Ruby/Blood deck. 3 Shamed Gladiator (-1/-1 gem), 2 Ruby Pyros, with another handful of 3 drops including Claw of the Mountain God, 2 Ruby Aura and a Blood Aura. Removal is even ok - Ruby Lance, double Atrophy, Terrible Transfer, and a Rot Caster to team up with Zared's charge ability.

I'll be sure to edit in round results, but to one-up myself I'll make sure to get a stream rolling again soon.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

(-1/-1 gem)

Is that working now?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

I see so many guard dogs on the other side of the board. So many! Those and shield trainers.

One of those cards is much better than the other.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

eatenmyeyes posted:

Is that working now?

Was the last I used it, I'll let you know if it's not if it comes up. My opponent round was was a Ruby/Blood mirror with vastly inferior creature quality, but he'd a bunch of cheap removal that he was snap-using on Gladiators every time they hit the board in G1 (and I saw all three :getin:).

Game 2 he was top-decking blockers and throwing them down in front of my T3 Claw, but it just wasn't enough since I kept adding guys to the board. He managed to draw a bunch of removal though, letting my Claw get me as low as 1 life, but he couldn't seal the deal since he'd been forced to use all his Burns on my 2/X guys.

E: That is to say, I won round 1 2-0 with the better R/B deck (aggro :black101:).
E1.5: Atrophy is consistently a great removal card when paired with Zared as a Champion. I mean sure, I'd rather just play Murder, but it cycles and if it doesn't outright kill something it can permanently cripple it to tip combat math in your favor.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

Every time my opponents play a Guard Dog it does a lot of work for them, but still I wouldn't pick it unless in dire need of 2 drop troops - every bad card is good in the right context but I would rather not be stuck in that context because I picked bad cards*

Also yea the -1/-1 gem has worked for a month or so now I think? It's really hard trying to keep straight what works vs what's bugged vs how a card used to work back in alpha / etc

(*please don't argue about "bad cards" for the next 5 pages I beg you)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

A cottontail ronin and a guard dog walk into a bar...

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

One of those cards is much better than the other.

True, but it's still a card that I'm unhappy to run in basically all of my decks, especially in the numbers that people play. Who needs 3?!

But that stupid white card that's me personal kryptonite is Rose Lion. Even though I always know it's wrong, during the game I end up thinking 'oh, better not attack my 3/3 into his 3/4' until it becomes huge and I need to use a quality removal spell on it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I see Zared in drafts often enough that I don't feel safe counting on -/1 troops to do anything besides eat up his ability after doing their on-play effect.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Round 2 is against a Blood/Emerald deck. Beat him in 5 turns, only thing I saw were chaff (a couple X/1 guys I Zareded and Atrophied) and a Genesis Hydra which I had removal up for. Game 2 my opening hand looks promising.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Some Numbers posted:

I saw a Volcannon 6th pick in pack 3 in the draft I'm currently in. Snapped it, picked Bertram and Volcannon mostly won game 1.

Edit: After I mostly jokingly told my round 2 opponent to stop drawing spells, he proceeded to call me bad at Hex and Magic, because my deck was full of bad cards that didn't do anything.

He was referring to my Inner Conflict and my two Mesmerizes. When I attempted to explain to him that Pacifism is good, he laughed at me. When I said that Conflict is better, he said "you're a moron, it's not permanent, ltp" and then ragequit.

:rip: chilled out hex community, welcome to our new toxic jerk overlords

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The next Hextechs Open will be on November 22nd. More details later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Some Numbers posted:

Did he like think you thought it permanently rewrote the cards for every match, or does he just not get that Hex isn't Magic, or what?

I'm constantly seeing Guard Dogs and Shield Trainers but it's because I'm testing some decks in proving grounds and it's ALL newbies right now.

• Locked thread