Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How does Ceasar fit in to all of that, or does he at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe he's Carlos Sr.'s grandson through one of his daughters.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i spent several years thinking richard perez was caesar gracie

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Mr. Nice! posted:

quote:

Cesar Gracie, born in 1966, is related to Carlos Gracie Senior (the Gracie Jiu Jitsu founder) by way of his mother, Sonja Gracie-Gronning. His parents separated when Cesar was still a toddler and Cesar was raised solely by the Gracie side of the family being Jiu Jitsu a natural part of his upbringing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

So he's Renzo's cousin. That's cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So which Gracie black belts are Matt Serras and which ones come with a videotape?

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Decades posted:

Could lockdown put kneebar-style pressure directly on someone's knee? I feel like the lock would have to be inverted somehow. I don't know much about lockdown though. It was probably something silly with obvious exits that I didn't see cause I was thinking about the choke

I also don't know much about it but here is what I was sort of referring to: Knee Bar from Reverse Lockdown http://youtu.be/i0vzj73BRnM

Some guys at my gym that play lockdown try stuff similar to this. Looking back, the best descriptor is probably what you already mentioned (figure 4 lock using the legs).

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

david carmichael posted:

i spent several years thinking richard perez was caesar gracie

Same

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

So which Gracie black belts are Matt Serras and which ones come with a videotape?

Matt Serra got his black belt from Renzo, the coolest gracie.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
There's also this handy chart for seeing who trained under who and started different schools:

My instructor was under Helio (alongside Al Bundy) but got his BB from Royce.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kekekela posted:

There's also this handy chart for seeing who trained under who and started different schools:

the lack of arrows on the graph make it, at first brush, seem like nova uniao may possibly be benjamin buttoning backward to jigoro kano. jiu jitsu is like 4 ballshots on a cliff.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Matt Serra got his black belt from Renzo, the coolest gracie.

Renzo is the coolest living Gracie. Rolls was the coolest Gracie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kekekela posted:

That's a cool image, thanks for that. My instructor is John Will, whose lineage is Helio>Rolls>Carlos>Regan Machado.

RIP Rolls, you were cool as hell, unfortunately being cool as hell is what killed you.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

jiu jitsu is like 4 ballshots on a cliff.

Legit laughed out loud, thank you.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

district of thizz posted:

I also don't know much about it but here is what I was sort of referring to: Knee Bar from Reverse Lockdown http://youtu.be/i0vzj73BRnM

Yeah must've been something along these lines, it's just weird cause I still had his head and arm wrapped. Pretty dope move.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, had a different class to normal today. The professor was in and he took us. Normally, we'd warm up, get shown a technique, drill it, shown another, drill it, then positional sparring. Today he had us warm up, then showed us 3 techniques, had us drill them, then had us work them all together in one sequence, one after another on our partner. Then some conditioning (he said). Drilling hop up from guard then guillotine armbar techniques. For the life of me, I could not figure out where to position my legs for the latter. Just couldn't get a grip on it. I've watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LttXraB9tVs and hopefully have a grip on it now. But anyway, it was an excellent class. Felt good to see how our three techniques work together in one move (drop into guard, scissor sweep then a choke - sorry, I dunno the names). Then the last 10 mins, conditioning, that killed me. I've got good cardio normally but this was murder. Anyway, different is good? Different is sexy? What if God was one of us?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Kekekela posted:

Carlson trained with Helio some, but shouldn't this image go Carlos -> Carlson Gracie Sr. rather than having Carlson's branch as a sub-group of Helio's? There's a significant political/philosophical divide there at least.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Renzo is the coolest living Gracie. Rolls was the coolest Gracie.

Roger is the son of Mauricio Motta Gomes who was one of the 6 Rolls black belts along with Romero Jacare and Carlos Jr. So basically Rolls is the coolest Gracie ever and is one of the main reasons we have BJJ as we know it

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Carlson trained with Helio some, but shouldn't this image go Carlos -> Carlson Gracie Sr. rather than having Carlson's branch as a sub-group of Helio's? There's a significant political/philosophical divide there at least.

Yeah, I believe you are correct.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Quit Judo today (at least temporarily), not spur of the moment, I had planned on it for a few months, handed the club off to my co instructor after our last tournament of the year and am moving back to BJJ. Huge weight off my shoulders to not be running a club anymore. That poo poo is stressful and with my travel schedule for work it just made it unworkable.

But after sitting at a four stripe white belt for 6 years I suppose it is time to start work on my blue.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
what belt color are you in Judo? I thought that at a high enough level in Judo they automatically promote you to blue belt in BJJ

widunder
May 2, 2002

Odddzy posted:

what belt color are you in Judo? I thought that at a high enough level in Judo they automatically promote you to blue belt in BJJ
Why would they? At white (bjj) i've tapped a bunch of judo black belts.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

widunder posted:

Why would they? At white (bjj) i've tapped a bunch of judo black belts.

I believe I was told it was because judo guys have a huge advantage doing takedowns making them most often dominate early in the match. No idea if I was told a load of bull.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Odddzy posted:

I believe I was told it was because judo guys have a huge advantage doing takedowns making them most often dominate early in the match. No idea if I was told a load of bull.
You were. I've seen some white belt tournaments that bans judo black belts but that's pretty much it.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Yesterday we hosted our first grappling event called "Takakuristus"
(=RearnakedChoke).

The rules were 20-minutes submission only superfights.

Here is the first match between two MMA fighters. Both are known for their leglocks and the guy without a shirt actually has won all of his MMA fights in the first round with leglocks.

His opponent is No-Gi european champion in purple belts and Grapplers Quest european champion and this years amateurs finnish champion in mma.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7yE20zrnYM

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

Black, anytime I've competed I alway entered the blue belt division but the skillset isn't 1:1 so directly giving rank wouldn't make sense. For example my takedowns are great, my side control is really good, and my chokes are as good as anyone's. But my arm bars and guard game are totally average and I'm helpless if someone takes my back.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 2, 2014

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
That's an interesting self-assessment Thoguh, cause from my perspective as someone who (reluctantly) made the switch from Judo to nogi BJJ a few years ago, I'd say almost the exact opposite- my side control, chokes and throws were so reliant on gi handles that they had to be heavily modified and it took years for me to successfully re-incorporate them into my game, but the armbars (especially from guard) and turtle stuff have always worked great.

I think my biggest revelation was actually have been about my guard game- instead of just lying there and clamping down to kill all mobility like I might in Judo, I started playing a loose seated guard and working Judo stuff just like if I were standing, and it opened up whole new worlds of possibility.

Hey, I'd be interested to hear more about your reasoning for full on 'quitting Judo' to become a BJJ white belt (as opposed to doing both but changing your area of emphasis to groundwork or something). Running the club must have been pretty crazy, huh? What advice do you have for aspiring club owners like myself?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Nothing crazy. Just lots of politics that come along with running a club. And when I'm gone 1-2 weeks a month for work it was getting increasingly tough to keep my philosophy and approach to coaching the dominant one in the club. So rather than pushing against it and either clamping down and pissing some people off or letting myself put in a bunch of work in the backend (paperwork, advertising, stuff like that) but handing over the teaching duties of everyone but the beginners to someone else; I just met with the guy who teaches when I'm out of town and we agreed to have him take over full time.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Right on. Judo politics is always messy business, I think can I see how you might prefer to just move on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheCool69 posted:

Yesterday we hosted our first grappling event called "Takakuristus"
(=RearnakedChoke).

The rules were 20-minutes submission only superfights.

Here is the first match between two MMA fighters. Both are known for their leglocks and the guy without a shirt actually has won all of his MMA fights in the first round with leglocks.

His opponent is No-Gi european champion in purple belts and Grapplers Quest european champion and this years amateurs finnish champion in mma.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7yE20zrnYM

How bad was the knee? Leglocks scare the piss out of me, not gonna lie.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Memento posted:

How bad was the knee? Leglocks scare the piss out of me, not gonna lie.

"Luckily" it was only an ankle that got hurt with that inverted heelhook..

My heart sank to my stomach when i first thought that hes knee exploded.

Second match that i'd like to share with you guys is bjj match so its with a gi.

The two guys both are absolutely beast so this was definately the Match Of The Night and super entertaining.

Guy on the blue gi is 2011,2012 and 2014 and had winning percent of 91% on blue belts and 2012 IBJJ London Open champion

The black gi guy is one of the top finnish grapplers. In purple belts this year he won silver on World championships and also won his own weight class+open weight european championship. He is also multiple time finnish champ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7lHGN0rv2Y8

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 3, 2014

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm thinking of making a new program for my training. I'm bumping up my mat time from 2 times to 3 times a week. After getting used to that, I'll add 1 day of lifting to it.

The program would be:

-3 weeks of: Lifting - Day off - BJJ - Day off - BJJ - Day off - BJJ
-1 week of: Day off - Lifting - Day off - Lifting - Day Off - Day Off
-1 week of: Day off - Day off - BJJ - Day off - BJJ - Day off - Day off

After last week, repeat with the 3 week program. Comments?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think its smart to cycle your weeks, I've herad it gives much better gains and reduces burnout.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I prefer my program, where I train a bunch and rest sometimes and lift weights when I feel like it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Now days I just lift heavy things three times a week in the morning till I get tired and eat less than 40 grams of carbs a day except one day where I shovel poo poo into my gob and I feel good and look better than I ever have.

Also kit Dale is apparently moving to the US to improve his training which I think is a good move if he wants to do better against the top tier black belts there's not a lot of elite bjj guys in Australia.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Pitt-Edinboro duel on flowrestling

IT HAS BEGUN

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
So, I've got my first tournament in about a week. It's a white belt only tournament held at our gym. I walk around at about 195 to 200 depending on how badly I've been eating for the past few days. Should I try to cut down to the 195 cut off? The next cut off is 208 which I will make easily. I fully expect to lose, I just want it to be entertaining and less embarrassing than it has to be.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Captain Log posted:

So, I've got my first tournament in about a week. It's a white belt only tournament held at our gym. I walk around at about 195 to 200 depending on how badly I've been eating for the past few days. Should I try to cut down to the 195 cut off? The next cut off is 208 which I will make easily. I fully expect to lose, I just want it to be entertaining and less embarrassing than it has to be.

I'd rather be the heaviest guy in a weight class than the lightest. I float between 150 and 160, and if I hit 161 with gi, I would be fighting people up to 20 lbs heavier than myself.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If it's an in-house weight belt only tournament then nobody gives a poo poo. Don't bother cutting weight unless for some reason you feel compelled to.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It's really easy to just not eat carbs for a week and losing 5 or 6 pounds but yeah who gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well if he wants to compete more in the future this would be a good chance to practice cutting. And 5 pounds at that weight is trivial.