Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Benny the Snake posted:

So is Earth's End worth reading?

It requires you to pretty much have read the entirety of Earth 2 up to this point, but if you've been doing that, then yes, it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

So is Earth's End worth reading?

World's End? If you're into Earth 2, definitely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like DC has thought better of trying to squash 60+ issues into the second JSA omnibus.

They're now extending it into Johns's One Year Later run, which I've never read (I've heard that some really stupid stuff happened with the Marvel family characters, though); this collection will include the first 28 issues of it. How many did he write? Should we be expecting a (quite unprecedented) fourth Justice Society omnibus?

EDIT: I've also found this article announcing that the George Pérez Wonder Woman omnibus (hopefully the first of many) is on the horizon as well.

Fingers crossed for Mark Waid Flash in the near future.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

This would be so wonderful. Get the first 25 issues of Impulse into a HC and I'd be in heaven.

I've been ordering tons of poo poo through work but just stock piling it and the boss finally asked if I was actually gonna buy it. I was planning on blitzing a chunk of my tax return on it but I guess I have to buy a few books to satisfy him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

This would be so wonderful. Get the first 25 issues of Impulse into a HC and I'd be in heaven.

I've been ordering tons of poo poo through work but just stock piling it and the boss finally asked if I was actually gonna buy it. I was planning on blitzing a chunk of my tax return on it but I guess I have to buy a few books to satisfy him.

Who knows as they might not release it just to spite him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Who knows as they might not release it just to spite him.

Oh I don't ever expect to see it. Waid is like Public Enemy #1 at DC since he can't seem to keep his mouth shut about how terrible everything they're doing is. Reprints of his most popular DC work would just mean checks they have to write him so it ain't gonna happen.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Rhyno posted:

What kind of discount do you get? Just curious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleepingbuddha posted:

What kind of discount do you get? Just curious.

If I preorder and item I get it for cost plus a percentage to cover the shipping. Only on items I order in advance though, off the shelf it's just 30%. So if I miss something I don't get a killer deal.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Metal Loaf posted:

Looks like DC has thought better of trying to squash 60+ issues into the second JSA omnibus.

They're now extending it into Johns's One Year Later run, which I've never read (I've heard that some really stupid stuff happened with the Marvel family characters, though); this collection will include the first 28 issues of it. How many did he write? Should we be expecting a (quite unprecedented) fourth Justice Society omnibus?

EDIT: I've also found this article announcing that the George Pérez Wonder Woman omnibus (hopefully the first of many) is on the horizon as well.

Pretty sure Johns just did those first 28 or so. The major thing he did in OYL was bring in Magog from Kingdom Come, plus a LoSH crossover. I don't remember specifically what he did with the Marvels, just that a buncha different writers tried different approaches and nothing ever came together. It came to head with the kids being depowered and sidelined until Flashpoint/New 52.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HitTheTargets posted:

Pretty sure Johns just did those first 28 or so.

Right. I know he did maybe a year or two then Willingham took over for a while, then Guggenheim did it till it ended, so that sounds about right.

quote:

The major thing he did in OYL was bring in Magog from Kingdom Come, plus a LoSH crossover. I don't remember specifically what he did with the Marvels, just that a buncha different writers tried different approaches and nothing ever came together. It came to head with the kids being depowered and sidelined until Flashpoint/New 52.

I think around that time, Dan Didio was saying the Fawcett characters no longer fit in with the DC universe; probably correct, but maybe not in the way he meant, since Black Adam stuck around pulling peoples' arms off after Billy and Mary were put on the backburner.

Regarding something else I mentioned in that last post, I've been thinking that if they're doing a WW by Pérez omnibus, fingers crossed they don't completely arse it up like they did with the New Teen Titans collections (where the skipped over about 60 issues in the third one to make it a George Pérez artist showcase rather than collecting them consecutively).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Regarding something else I mentioned in that last post, I've been thinking that if they're doing a WW by P rez omnibus, fingers crossed they don't completely arse it up like they did with the New Teen Titans collections (where the skipped over about 60 issues in the third one to make it a George P rez artist showcase rather than collecting them consecutively).

The Perez WW omnibus is just going to be the 4 existent Perez trades under one cover (up to WW #24). Perez didn't do any of the art on the main title for the rest of his tenure, but he did pencil the War of the Gods 4-part miniseries.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
These days, Shazam is portrayed as a kid in an adult body. In the old days, didn't he also gain the maturity of an adult thanks to the Wisdom of Solomon?

JamesBCrazy
Jul 1, 2014

Vengeance is a sucker's game.
Yes, but DC's writers decided that wisdom != maturity in order to make him a more "interesting" character.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Captain Marvel is clearly wish-fulfilment, and young boys don't just wish for the strength and size of an adult, but also the confidence and wisdom.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Has Captain Marvel shown up anywhere outside of the Justice League backups? I actually liked the newer take and was hoping for a solo title.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

The Perez WW omnibus is just going to be the 4 existent Perez trades under one cover (up to WW #24). Perez didn't do any of the art on the main title for the rest of his tenure, but he did pencil the War of the Gods 4-part miniseries.

Yeah, but he wrote it for about 40 issues after he stopped pencilling it until (I think) Messner-Loebs took over. I'd hope they would mean to continue past the stuff he only drew.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Captain Marvel is clearly wish-fulfilment, and young boys don't just wish for the strength and size of an adult, but also the confidence and wisdom.

Captain Marvel is easily the worst victim of "45 year old men writing for 45 year old men" in a lot of ways. Most of the modern stuff with him is just the equivalent of writers telling kids to get off their lawn with their xboxes and their disrespect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Has Captain Marvel shown up anywhere outside of the Justice League backups? I actually liked the newer take and was hoping for a solo title.

He's in the Justice League proper now.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TwoPair posted:

He's in the Justice League proper now.

Okay, thanks. I'll check it out again.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Shame they didn't go with something like Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any superman comic runs, doesn't matter if it's New 52, old verse, or even golden age or what, that goes into more the psychology of being the only Superman in a world that he could crush with his pinky if he flexed it wrong while pushing off the ground (exaggeration, I know).

I think he's really boring when he's punching stuff, but love psychological junk.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think that would be hard to find because there are just so many super-strong guys bouncing around the DCU these days, some of whom rival Superman's strength.

I remember that when Kara Zor-El was reintroduced to the DCU some years back (pre new 52), she appeared stronger and faster than Superman, and this was said to be because she had none of Superman's instinctive self-restraint

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KittyEmpress posted:

Are there any superman comic runs, doesn't matter if it's New 52, old verse, or even golden age or what, that goes into more the psychology of being the only Superman in a world that he could crush with his pinky if he flexed it wrong while pushing off the ground (exaggeration, I know).

I think he's really boring when he's punching stuff, but love psychological junk.

It's not exactly what you meant, but Superman - Secret Identity is about Clark Kent growing up with superpowers in a world where Superman (and other superheroes) are comic book characters.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Here is your annual DC Crisis/Bandaid/Continuity Fix.

quote:

For 2015's annual "big event,'' DC Comics is mashing up stories and characters from 80 years of comic-book history while also introducing a big bad villain.

The company is putting its line of superhero comic books on hiatus for two months for Convergence, a nine-week miniseries kicking off with a zero issue April 1. The story line will spill into 40 two-part miniseries in April and May featuring a variety of writers and artists examining the worlds of the DC Universe over the decades, as well as the heroes and villains contained within.

"It captures the full essence and scope of DC's incredible history and storytelling," says co-publisher Dan DiDio.

"There is a story and a character for every generation of DC Comics fan."

Convergence spins out of the April 1 finales of the Earth 2: World's End and The New 52: Futures End weekly series. The alien supervillain Brainiac has trapped cities from various timelines and planets that have ended, brought them in domes to a planet outside of time and space, and is now opening them for a great experiment to see what happens when all these folks meet.

"We're picking up at points of their lives where we left them and finding out what's gone on with them since then," says DiDio.

One of the hallmarks of DC has been the popularization of a "multiverse" of parallel worlds of familiar characters, and that has led to story lines such as the 1985 crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths and this year's The Multiversity by writer Grant Morrison.

Since DC rebooted its entire superhero line as part of "The New 52" relaunch in 2011, fans have wondered if certain key moments in DC lore — the death of Superman, Bane breaking Batman's back, etc. — still "counted" in continuity, says co-publisher Jim Lee.

And there's the fact that people have also queried them about what happened to certain favorite characters and teams such as Donna Troy, Blue Beetle and the Justice Society of America, and why they haven't been reintroduced while others have.

"What we're really addressing is they all exist and have existed and exist within the framework of the New 52," Lee explains. "Convergence is in many ways the most meta epic event we've done."

Following in the footsteps of Brainiac is Telos, a new bad guy being introduced in Convergence. Named after the Greek philosophical term for ''end'' or ''goal,'' he is born of Brainiac and this mysterious planet — even taking on traits of that world — "but becomes a character unto himself," says DiDio.

The event also marks the comic debut of writer Jeff King, who's handling the scripting and storytelling for the main Convergence plot line. (Dan Jurgens of Futures End is co-writing the zero issue with him, while former Superman scribe Scott Lobdell is helping to lay out the overall outline of the story.)

King, the executive producer and head writer of USA's White Collar TV series, has a background in science fiction with his work on the shows Stargate SG-1 and Continuum.

"Because this involved so much deep lore and fiction from DC Comics, it was great to have someone come in with a fresh set of eyes to look at it and make sure that it's as open and accessible to all fans," DiDio says. "Not just the people who have been reading DC throughout the years."

source

quote:

40 two-part miniseries in April and May

:stare:

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 3, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
poo poo, meta AND epic? It's gonna be so win, you guys.

(I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll be like those Blackest Night gimmick new issues. Some of those were pretty fun.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

quote:

The company is putting its line of superhero comic books on hiatus for two months
Seriously, just go gently caress yourselves, DC.

quote:

One of the hallmarks of DC has been the popularization of a "multiverse" of parallel worlds of familiar characters, and that has led to story lines such as the 1985 crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths
You mean the same Crisis on Infinite Earths where they got rid of the Multiverse?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 3, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Seriously, just go gently caress yourselves, DC.

It's because of the office move. They're giving people involved in regular books time to upend their lives.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's because of the office move. They're giving people involved in regular books time to upend their lives.
As far as I can tell, they're basically having to replace quite a bit of their editorial staff with the move too.

I remember now that there were rumours about this a few months ago. It's just annoying because I've just recently started picking up some DC books again. :sigh:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
They could've just called it Future's End: Arena.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love how this event is "remember those characters you liked more? Buy our event and you get to see them again!"

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Look at that, an opportunity to use money I normally use for the couple of DC comics I read to spend on other books instead. Thanks DC!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

Look at that, an opportunity to use money I normally use for the couple of DC comics I read to spend on other books instead. Thanks DC!
I'm just going to let that whole thing wash over me and I will pay it no attention until I see some fancy-looking trade collections a year from now and go "Oh yeah, that thing!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Don't worry guys, Scott Lobdell is helping lay this out!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What are the earths showed on the picture?

I can recognize 90's DC, Tangent, Flashpoint, the Legion, the JSA and the old Crime Syndicate.

Curious about it but not really that interested on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What are the earths showed on the picture?

I can recognize 90's DC, Tangent, Flashpoint, the Legion, the JSA and the old Crime Syndicate.

Curious about it but not really that interested on it.

Top: 90s grim n gritty, Pre-Crisis Earth 2, Earth-3, Charleston
Middle: Flashpoint, ?, ?, Wildstorm
Bottom: ?, ?, Tangent

It's cool that I get two months of not buying DC comics. Granted, the two I'm reading (Batgirl, Gotham Academy; RIP Wonder Woman) will probably get canceled before this anyway.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

All is lost.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Codependent Poster posted:

The Gentry strikes again!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So a 40 part Final Crisis. Yeech.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Helmed by the guy who wrote some TV shows you probably didn't watch! The fact that he's never written a comic book is why it's going to be great, you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think there's a lot of pessimism for this event already coming out because it seems like another chance for people to say "way to gently caress up again DC!"

At the same time, I'll have seven DC books on my pull list when this begins so not having to spend money on them for two months works for me!

• Locked thread