Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't tried to do a race at all. Have you tried a hot lap session to make sure it's all working? There's no menus with the Rift yet so there might be some menu thing you have to hit to do anything in a race.

I figured my problem out. When you click to assign the default g27 + h shifter profile in controls, it doesn't actually map the controls, it just sets some values. So I went through and assigned all the controls by hand and now everything works. Its a hell of an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Knifegrab posted:

I figured my problem out. When you click to assign the default g27 + h shifter profile in controls, it doesn't actually map the controls, it just sets some values. So I went through and assigned all the controls by hand and now everything works. Its a hell of an experience.

Isn't there a button at the bottom right of the screen that says 'import these settings' or similar? That's what I used I am sure

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just set everything up manually as I couldn't get it to do anything with the Fanatec CSR settings.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Make sure you are running the Logitech game software. The old version that supports the g27, not the newer version for other Logitech keyboards and mice. You can run both. Yes they are called the exact same thing, yes it's dumb and confusing.

If you aren't running it the wheel is seen as a simpler HID controller device and you lose out on some features and FF options. It also doesn't self-detect like how you are experiencing. For instance I couldn't use the combined pedals or clutch until I had it installed and configured.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Been having a blast with the Assetto Corsa release candidate career mode.

Though Novice Series 3 has only taught me one thing: how to hate the XBow.

Also, is it me, or is the AI stupidly agressive?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
AC is great but it really makes me miss the safety rating system of iRacing. People keep ramming me for no reason.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I just stick to singleplayer because I know I suck at racing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Kilonum posted:

I just stick to singleplayer because I know I suck at racing.

The main reason I got into racing games was for the multiplayer experience. But I'll still play AC online and enjoy it. Always fun to see how many people crash on the first turn. :v: I'm terrible at driving, I don't even have a wheel yet. So people crashing into me won't cause me to rage. But it is a tad annoying when people ram into me on a straight repeatedly when there is plenty of space to go around.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Torabi posted:

The main reason I got into racing games was for the multiplayer experience. But I'll still play AC online and enjoy it. Always fun to see how many people crash on the first turn. :v: I'm terrible at driving, I don't even have a wheel yet. So people crashing into me won't cause me to rage. But it is a tad annoying when people ram into me on a straight repeatedly when there is plenty of space to go around.

yeah, my tactic for the rare times I do go online is to just hang back for the first urn because I know I'll pass half the field while they wallow in the gravel.

I got a DFGT but the original impetus for that was Euro Truck Simulator 2 :v:

EDIT: Oh hey have a screenshot of the Lotus 49 in the Carousel

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 22, 2014

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm really digging the Ferrari LaFerrari. I didn't dig my settings being reset, so that will take some doing. I do like the factory setting options (I don't remember them being in before 1.0).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Are there any online racing rankings or any planned like on the old Race Driver games? I'd look myself but my internet is borked.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The RadiatorSpringsRacing leaderboard app is the best at the moment: http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm already on RSR, I mean more like Elo rankings for online racing. Last time I played it was just race after race in isolation, which is fun, but having a league like in Project Gotham or Elo rankings like in Race Driver keeps me coming back for more. Also helps set the race in a bit of context.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I bought Asseto Corsa and a G27 in anticipation of receiving my rift but holy poo poo am I bad at racing sims. I get by in arcadey stuff like NFS and burnout because they do a lot to help you stay on the track and moving forwards but as soon as a modicum of realism is introduced I end up spun out in the gravel or face first into a fence. At the moment I'm just going to knock it down to automatic and slowly follow the racing lines until I get better but are there any racing sim tutorial things that I could do? Like having a navigator in my ear to tell me things like "slow down, apply light braking, switch to third, take the corner on the inside" would be really handy even if it means I need to buy another game. I've been road driving irl for nearly two decades but have no idea what to do with a speeding lump of steel and plastic at speeds of over 100km/h.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

RandomCheese posted:

I bought Asseto Corsa and a G27 in anticipation of receiving my rift but holy poo poo am I bad at racing sims. I get by in arcadey stuff like NFS and burnout because they do a lot to help you stay on the track and moving forwards but as soon as a modicum of realism is introduced I end up spun out in the gravel or face first into a fence. At the moment I'm just going to knock it down to automatic and slowly follow the racing lines until I get better but are there any racing sim tutorial things that I could do? Like having a navigator in my ear to tell me things like "slow down, apply light braking, switch to third, take the corner on the inside" would be really handy even if it means I need to buy another game. I've been road driving irl for nearly two decades but have no idea what to do with a speeding lump of steel and plastic at speeds of over 100km/h.

Pick a track and car. Stick with that car/track combo and do it slowly. Then do it slightly faster, and then faster, until you can get around the track 5 laps and a reasonable pace while on the racing line. That will teach you more then any tutorial can. You're problem is that you have no idea how the car handles, where the racing line is or the layout of the track. All those things come in time. Just take your time, it'll come to you.

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/racing-line.htm#braking This stuff might help, too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'd recommend the same that was recommended to me: Start out with the BMW M3 E30 Group A car. The track doesn't matter as much but I started out on Mugello because I wanted to work my way up to the BMW Race event, I also think it has a nice assortment of corners.

Also the next project from the guy that did the physics for the Shelby Cobra:

:flashfap:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
^Given that Kunos already has the Audi license, good bet they'll buy his model again and make it official once 4wd physics are in. :gizz:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That is a very probable possibility that excites me greatly. :awesome: But to clarify a bit, the Shelby was mostly done by another guy. This guy did the physics for it though, which are amazing and the most important part in my opinion. This is the first time he's modeled anything, he seems like a natural though:

And seeing as he worked on the Shelby, he should have a good par for quality. He also tracked down the only guy with a Quattro in his home country and he agreed to help him record sounds. 4WD physics can't come soon enough.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Can Kunos just hire this guy already?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Jehde posted:

That is a very probable possibility that excites me greatly. :awesome: But to clarify a bit, the Shelby was mostly done by another guy. This guy did the physics for it though, which are amazing and the most important part in my opinion. This is the first time he's modeled anything, he seems like a natural though:

And seeing as he worked on the Shelby, he should have a good par for quality. He also tracked down the only guy with a Quattro in his home country and he agreed to help him record sounds. 4WD physics can't come soon enough.

:circlefap:

That will be fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTMueYrlTk

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Again those are the same guys that did the Cobra. Kunos really does need to just hire them already, the detail is astonishing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Ford license for AC announced. :toot:

And NSX mod previews http://www.virtualr.net/honda-nsx-ac-new-previews-dev-update

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Ahahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzeuOJXiQHk

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2c4bvhqwvdk9w52/blue_falcon1.0.rar

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

My favorite thing about mods like these is how worked up people get on sites like simraceway about how mods like this ruin the community. Rainbow road was the same way.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

My favorite thing about mods like these is how worked up people get on sites like simraceway about how mods like this ruin the community. Rainbow road was the same way.

You can't write about that without providing links to this entertainment, that's just cruel

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This one is pretty good for dumb fun too. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Oi8ZIqx40

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p66h5g21mlua7ib/supersprint.rar

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Lots of sim 'racing' people seem to have their heads up their asses. I remember searching for some information on the 360 controller in ac and just finding tonnes of 'LOL CONTROLLER CONSOLE KIDDIE NOOB' posts instead. God forbid someone not want to spend hundreds on a wheel setup or maybe not just have the space for a sperg seat.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

track day bro! posted:

Lots of sim 'racing' people seem to have their heads up their asses. I remember searching for some information on the 360 controller in ac and just finding tonnes of 'LOL CONTROLLER CONSOLE KIDDIE NOOB' posts instead. God forbid someone not want to spend hundreds on a wheel setup or maybe not just have the space for a sperg seat.

It's even worse in iRacing with people telling the devs to remove controller support all together. I managed to get a B in oval racing with a 360 controller so they can suck it. :smug: Even won a road race with my 360 controller somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People will sperg on iRacing if anything exists or has the possibility to exist and they don't want it. Someone recently posted a thread asking if the devs were planning on updating the force feedback in the game. Queue up a bunch of people saying "Maybe you should go back to Assetto Corsa." Over loving force feedback.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Gotta sell my G27 for movin' money: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678247
:(

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

People will sperg on iRacing if anything exists or has the possibility to exist and they don't want it. Someone recently posted a thread asking if the devs were planning on updating the force feedback in the game. Queue up a bunch of people saying "Maybe you should go back to Assetto Corsa." Over loving force feedback.

People like that are part of the reason why I like iRacing. Because it is those people who rage the hardest over the most trivial things during a race. You always get some mid race entertainment.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Finally got my wheel set up after moving into my new place, and installed the latest versions of pCars and AC. In AC the wheel registers absolutely fine in the controls setup, but when I get to the race I lose all inputs and the wheel (CSR Elite)'s display reads either [ J ] or [ ].

In Project CARS the wheel works fine but the paddle shifters don't register when driving. I can assign the up and downshifts to the paddles in the menu.

Got the latest drivers, firmware etc etc.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Oops-a-daisy.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What the hell happened there?

Figured out my pCARs upshift issues. Was because they've made it so that if you try to upshift without depressing the clutch you don't go anywhere if the car doesn't have a semi-auto box.

The game feels so very good compared to last time I played it. Very visceral. FFB still needs work, and am I right in thinking the rain effects are just for show? I was belting a Formula A car around Spa at dry speeds.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Falken posted:

What the hell happened there?

Coming down the big hill on Lake Louise, which has a long right hander, overcooked it slightly and started to oversteer at about 160mph and the resulting skid took me right into the ramp-like bit of rock on the right of the picture. Whoosh.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Walton Simons posted:

Oops-a-daisy.

Ride height looks a bit high there, brah.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I cant stop downloading mods for AC, my tracklist has expanded considerably. Also my god the BTCC primera is amazing.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

track day bro! posted:

Ugh I cant stop downloading mods for AC, my tracklist has expanded considerably. Also my god the BTCC primera is amazing.

Do you have a link for the BTCC primera? Love me some BTCC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

simosimo posted:

Do you have a link for the BTCC primera? Love me some BTCC!

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/pm3dm-1999-nissan-primera-btcc-sound-fix-version-0-2a-rim-tire-template-added.2372/

There are a few other supertourers in the works iirc, I know the accord from the same year is being worked on. Although the primera is using the sounds from the group a m3 at the moment as a placeholder.

• Locked thread