Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Bradley Woo facing down the one deck he lost to in the swiss in the top 8, and just got comboed off, again

It's a shame watching the games because, he's playing very well but the meta was unprepared for Heroic Ascendancy and so his deck just doesn't have the tools to handle this match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Stealing creatures isn't green, so I don't think the activated ability has to have anything to do with the main color.

Doing stuff when your opponent's creatures are smaller is very green. Wizards isn't the best at sticking to the fact that hybrids should be things that both colours should be able to do on their own though - see Augury Adept.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Silver2195 posted:

I was about to say that granting haste isn't very blue, but I guess that's justified by it being attached to a green body.

It's really more of a matter of the ability not really working if you don't grant the creature haste, since the point is to let you attack with it. The same can be said for any ability that temporarily gives you control of something or gives you a token or whatever (see also: Unearth).

E:

Allstone posted:

Doing stuff when your opponent's creatures are smaller is very green. Wizards isn't the best at sticking to the fact that hybrids should be things that both colours should be able to do on their own though - see Augury Adept.

Not any kind of stuff. Beside the cost isn't hybrid green, it's hybrid blue and red, both of which do control-changing.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I don't understand why we are even talking about the greenness of the ability when it costs U/R to activate. A 4/2 for 3 is obviously fine in green.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Blighting your own Sylvan Caryatid to wipe the opposing field. Nice.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don't understand why we are even talking about the greenness of the ability when it costs U/R to activate. A 4/2 for 3 is obviously fine in green.

It also is based on power comparison, which is a green as it gets

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Ivan Jen is running hotter than the sun

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Holy poo poo ascendancy. G/B has hundreds of permanents on board and not a single one of the matters. Murderous Cut for 1 does nothing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
cedric and patrick are in :vince: mode over this deck

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Streaming the new Heroic Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck that everyone is buzzing about. I've only played a few sets with it so far so hang in there as I get a feel for this beast. Everyone is obviously watching the SCG stream but may as well jump on board this gravy train.

Feels cool as hell so far, can easily win without seeing combo pieces but can also just go completely bonkers at any point with an ascend out.

https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm more amazed by 3 of the top 8 being GB Constellation than by this Jeskai Combo deck. It just seems bad...

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Constellation is very good at beating the other mid range decks and has decent play against most other decks, after a lot of Abzan Midrange in the meta its not surprising to see the deck do well.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm more amazed by 3 of the top 8 being GB Constellation than by this Jeskai Combo deck. It just seems bad...

It's so good versus anything with no removal

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah it wrecks decks that are just playing a guy and passing turn, which, you know, courserplay.standard

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Watching a deck run riot through a completely unprepared meta is just painful.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Yeah it wrecks decks that are just playing a guy and passing turn, which, you know, courserplay.standard

It's like painfully bad vs Abzan and Jeskai

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sampatrick posted:

It just got steamrolled by a deck with no removal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My lgs has ascendancy at 3 bucks and I need 3. I have everything else for this goofy deck but a few commons. :getin:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

It's like painfully bad vs Abzan and Jeskai

we saw it beat vidi's jeskai aggro in round 6, so i'm not sure it folds to removal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

My lgs has ascendancy at 3 bucks and I need 3. I have everything else for this goofy deck but a few commons. :getin:

Don't expect to draw like this guy is...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Don't expect to draw like this guy is...

How about you lighten up you loving killjoy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This is like when Cifka swept the PT with eggs.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The combo deck is fun-looking but it is no match for Milquetoast Midrange.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

The combo deck is fun-looking but it is no match for Milquetoast Midrange.

midrange is no match for a one drop with firebreathing :smugwizard:

and mana screw

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

we saw it beat vidi's jeskai aggro in round 6, so i'm not sure it folds to removal

It doesn't fold to it per se, it just makes it much worse.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Chasm Skulker has hit the playmat of the scgfinals and I can't wait to see how Ivan is going to break it.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

that was fantastic

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
That's not supreme verdict motherfucker!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ivan missing triggers because he just doesn't give a poo poo, he's was going to win either way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has a list for this Jeskai deck come out yet?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

C-Euro posted:

Has a list for this Jeskai deck come out yet?

Yes.

Edit: seriously, this deck costs $20 to put together if you have the land. Hate on it at your local FNM, because it's showing up there.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Boxman posted:

Yes.

Edit: seriously, this deck costs $20 to put together if you have the land. Hate on it at your local FNM, because it's showing up there.

Not sure what the hate's all about. This deck is awesome and hilarious. Break the meta (it's not going to break the meta, abzan will just bring more hate)!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Thisuck posted:

Not sure what the hate's all about. This deck is awesome and hilarious. Break the meta (it's not going to break the meta, abzan will just bring more hate)!

Oh, yeah, I don't mean dislike it, I mean bring sideboard hate if you're not running it. I run Abzan and am toying with putting it together because it's cheap and looks fun.

So, what are your sideboard outs? Spirit of the labyrinth, enchantment removal, drown in sorrow?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

A new deck showing up and completely wrecking the tournament... :allears:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Boxman posted:

Oh, yeah, I don't mean dislike it, I mean bring sideboard hate if you're not running it. I run Abzan and am toying with putting it together because it's cheap and looks fun.

So, what are your sideboard outs? Spirit of the labyrinth, enchantment removal, drown in sorrow?

Oh I didn't mean you were hating it, I thought you were pointing at some of the other comments, haha. I hope more people run this, since the only thing really pricey about this deck are the lands, and you can sorta fudge them with basics, maybe drop the jeskai charms and add a bit more lands.

Edit: Jeskai asc should be called the Space Jam deck, just look at those guys on the card!

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 2, 2014

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Boxman posted:

Oh, yeah, I don't mean dislike it, I mean bring sideboard hate if you're not running it.

what are you boarding against this?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what are you boarding against this?

Any kind of enchantment, creature hate? As long as you know it's the combo, it's pretty easy to stop it. The main card is Jeskai asc, since it allows him not only to combo off but just beat you down with a bunch of large creatures and cycle thru his deck. Hell main deck thoughtseize is good enough to stop it, but Justin Porchas just got land rnged down.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just watched the SCG Open final, I'm starting to get very concerned about the standard format, Jeskai Ascendancy just looks far too powerful and easy to protect.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

An incredibly similar list at the hands of a good pilot in Glen Jones went 1-2 drop.

Ivan played great, came into an unprepared meta, and had some sick top decks. Let's see a few more dominant results in a prepared meta before we start discussing how problematic a deck is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just watched the SCG Open final, I'm starting to get very concerned about the standard format, Jeskai Ascendancy just looks far too powerful and easy to protect.

In a format where Thoughtseize is A Thing That Exists a fragile combo deck will most likely not be able to dominate.

• Locked thread