Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, if you pick the "correct" choice they'll give you an item after the cutscene, but they're not important unless you like dressup. Which means they are deadly important, so always go for the correct answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

Why?

Also, there are no moral choices, everything you can do you can reverse by simply reverting each area back to its original form. Any endings you get do not lock you out of other ones.

There are no moral choices in SMT either. Morals implies that there is a human emotion or thought process behind those stories. SMT games don't have characters, let alone human enough ones where morals played a point into the plot.

Still great franchise, though.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 2, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Momomo posted:

Why?

Also, there are no moral choices, everything you can do you can reverse by simply reverting each area back to its original form. Any endings you get do not lock you out of other ones.

I got it for free and I hadn't played a FF game before.

I'm just happy I can casually go through this game without worrying about being locked out. I do like the battle system in this game, but I feel the emphasis is put too much on staggering and shifting those weird class combos. Attacking weaknesses is fine and dandy and all, but this is just the case of Ravager>Commando>End Fight. If there were more dynamic special abilities and strategies, then it won't get tedious in most cases where I'm doing the same thing again and again.

The leveling is also pretty linear and doesn't make you think much in terms of planning for the long term, so I just grind what I think what might be more fitting for the character's archetype (Sarah for magic and buffs and Noel for physical and tank roles). It is at least better than XIII, which was a straight line in terms of progression.

The random encounter system is pretty interesting though. Instead of forcing into battle, you can just ignore tedious fights against enemies with below average initiative and just get through a particular section and you have a good idea whether you're going to be forced into a battle or not.

What other FF games should I try?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FFV

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFV is probably my favorite FF mechanically.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
SMT doesn't really have moral choices. Either way, whichever ending you're on, there's always a big but at the end to incite a replay for another ending. They're more like different candies you might go for depending on your taste and non of them truly reflect the type of person you are, except for the Chaos ending in Megami Tensei 2, but that's for another thread.

Terper posted:

There's also only one real ending (and as much as we all wish for it, it's not the timecop one)

Please, do share the requirements for this Time Cop ending.

Cool. Which version?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Any version of the game is pretty good, but I would recommend more recent versions like the GBA version or the IOS one. You can't go wrong with any version of it though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

uncleKitchener posted:

Please, do share the requirements for this Time Cop ending.

Well for starters, you have to beat the game first.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

uncleKitchener posted:

Cool. Which version?
The GBA has the best translation and a bonus dungeon, but like all the GBA ports, the ATB is a little buggy and the music port is kinda lovely. The SNES translation is the most accurate experience you'll get relative to the original release, but it has a little bit of Internet Translation Team syndrome. No bonus dungeon.

The PS1 port is just crap and has loading times for the menus because it's basically running a proprietary SNES emulator on a Playstation, but the translation is also the most entertaining in the wrong way.

uncleKitchener posted:

They're more like different candies you might go for depending on your taste and non of them truly reflect the type of person you are, except for the Chaos ending in Megami Tensei 2, but that's for another thread.
It would be nice if SMT was more clear about how to get the endings. Maybe something that didn't require a walkthrough. I didn't want that crappy cultist poo poo ending in DDS, I wanted to save the world with my bros or hang out with the pop star chick, but nooooooo. Obviously the way to get the ending where you align with the cultists is to talk poo poo about them and tell them how they're full of it at every opportunity.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really think of any reason to play a non-GBA version of FFV.

You should also play FF9, though it wouldn't hurt to emulate it and fastforward during battles because they're really slow.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

In FF13-2 the correct response is always whichever one is silliest.

The story is silly either way, it may as well be intentionally so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rangpur posted:

Perhaps you can answer one of my long running questions: how the gently caress do you get/use Dragon Magic and Necromancy? I've had the skills and reagents sitting in my copy of the game for years now, but somehow I've managed to completely miss the steps to actually use it in battle.

(I guess I could have found out by now if I really wanted, but my patience ran out while I was trying to get 30 goddamn glass pumpkins for Deneb.)

Dragon Magic is in Hell Gate and the first spell you can get is from the extremely suicidal NPC you need to save on the 2nd floor. If he doesn't run to your party and instead runs at the enemies reload because he's going to die. He has Wipeout and you have to save him to get it (and him). Different classes can use different dragon magics. Exorcists can use Starion, for example, while Kachua can use any spell I think? Wipeout can be used by Radlum and probably anyone else who changes to his class. I forget where I picked up Necromancy the last time I played, it was probably from one of the fights with Nybbas though.

This is the PSX version. For all I know this stuff doesn't exist in the PSP version. There's also the forbidden magic the 4 shaman sisters can get if you have all 4 of them but apparently you can only get them all via one specific playthrough route, and IIRC their magic was some lovely double-edge sword thing and why would you waste time on them when Dragon Magic is superior in every possible way? Get Wipeout, have Canopus or a Ninja use an MP item on the caster, have said caster nuke the battlefield on their first turn, send in the troops to clean up any survivors.

The Shamans suck and getting the sisters involves fighting TO's incredibly suicidal AI and not murdering one of the sisters in Hell Gate when you're setup to easily drop her as soon as the fight starts.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

I got it for free and I hadn't played a FF game before.

I'm just happy I can casually go through this game without worrying about being locked out. I do like the battle system in this game, but I feel the emphasis is put too much on staggering and shifting those weird class combos. Attacking weaknesses is fine and dandy and all, but this is just the case of Ravager>Commando>End Fight. If there were more dynamic special abilities and strategies, then it won't get tedious in most cases where I'm doing the same thing again and again.

The leveling is also pretty linear and doesn't make you think much in terms of planning for the long term, so I just grind what I think what might be more fitting for the character's archetype (Sarah for magic and buffs and Noel for physical and tank roles). It is at least better than XIII, which was a straight line in terms of progression.

The random encounter system is pretty interesting though. Instead of forcing into battle, you can just ignore tedious fights against enemies with below average initiative and just get through a particular section and you have a good idea whether you're going to be forced into a battle or not.

What other FF games should I try?

X-2

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The most entry-friendly games are VII and X.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SMT games don't have characters
Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SMT games don't have characters

Grigori Rasputin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Grigori Rasputin

But he's from Shadow Hearts!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

But he's from Shadow Hearts!!

Endorph posted:

Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The most entry-friendly games are VII and X.

VII is where me and a lot of people first came to the series. Really, FFVII is largely responsible for my love of JRPGs as a whole.

So yeah, starting there is a good idea.

MAN THIS IS GREAT!

dude this sucks what is this

Honestly it be pretty funny. Everyone had a canniption fit because they were coming from IV/VI/VII/VIII/X with their super dramatic and serious openings so X-2 was like WHAT HAVE THEY DONE. I'd like to see someone start with X-2 and have that reaction to all the other FFs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The response to FFX-2 was goddamn amazing and it alone justifies the game existing. I remember people swearing it was an April Fools joke that got leaked or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFX-2 has the best intro in the series.

I also love how many reviewers, even nowadays when the HD collection came out, went "Well if you can HANDLE THE GIRLISHNESS...' like their masculinity was legitimately threatened by loving final fantasy X-2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF in general and especially FFX-2 made me confused why people were afraid Square was going too hard on the male thing, as if they were on purpose going for the gamergate side or some poo poo. If one thing Square's got, it's being pretty progressive in games about giving females large roles or leads constantly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2 is the weirdest game because, depending on who you talk to, it's either totally for boys or totally for girls and yet both sides' arguments overlap.

All female party? +1 to For Girls. They might as well just scream "Girl Power!" all the time.
But then you remember all of these girls wear super-revealing outfits and pose seductively and have a swimsuit episode. +1 For Boys

Of course the real answer is just that X-2 can appeal to everyone because it's a great game. And whatever she may dress like, Yuna's personality is a lot more progressive and interesting in this one than in X.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

I also love how many reviewers, even nowadays when the HD collection came out, went "Well if you can HANDLE THE GIRLISHNESS...' like their masculinity was legitimately threatened by loving final fantasy X-2.
My main problem with X-2 isn't that you play as girls or whatever, but that there are tons of weird, :catstare: poo poo in it. The transformation sequences. "You :allears:." PLEASURE LEBLANC. The hot springs scene.

Like, there's a lot of really fun parts in the game ("What's the password?" "Kick. Its. rear end." comes to mind immediately), but there's an equal measure of stuff that makes you just kinda shift uncomfortably in your seat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And I'm anal about internal consistency in my fantasy fiction, so I don't like the intro because that's not how dress spheres and garment grids work! Also, Yuna's personality hasn't progressed enough for my liking; she still starts off as a doormat that does whatever anyone asks her to do.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think it's cool that Yuna goes from Summoner/White Mage to dual wielding pistols. More main characters in RPGs should dual wield pistols.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Same, except sawn-off shotguns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

I think it's cool that Yuna goes from Summoner/White Mage to dual wielding pistols. More main characters in RPGs should dual wield pistols.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

CLOUD: i'm noticing that ornate brass hammer pipe you've got there
VINCENT: her name is lucrecia

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Evil Fluffy posted:

LUCT's version of TG Cid is anyone who can use Dragon Magic. Maybe that was removed in the PSP remake though. I remember hearing Snapdragon was gone and the retissue/animate trick apparently doesn't work (or exist) in it either.

Excluding Dragon/Forbidden magic being hilariously broken, the real TG Cid character is Haborym* because he has inhuman accuracy with spells like Petrify and will gently caress up the enemy if they aren't immune to it.

*PSX/SFC version.

They took status spells way from Hobyrim and the swordmaster class, all their spells are pretty weak and it's better to just crack skulls with a 2H katana if you insist on using that class. And yeah lots of things are different, like the Snapdragon function still exists but it's not a spell and you can only have one of each weapon type.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bregor posted:

They took status spells way from Hobyrim and the swordmaster class, all their spells are pretty weak and it's better to just crack skulls with a 2H katana if you insist on using that class. And yeah lots of things are different, like the Snapdragon function still exists but it's not a spell and you can only have one of each weapon type.

To be fair, a couple of the War Dances can be useful. Lion Dance (Strengthen), Bedeviling Dance (Slow) Envigorating Dance (TP Drain) and Demonpetal Dance (Charm) are the only ones you'll likely ever use, but they can allow your Swordmaster to gain a little control over the battlefield. In the end, however, the only reason you'll be using the class is because you wanted to have fun trying something new; if what you want is simply to do well, all you need are Denam in his unique class, Archers, Ninjas, and Warlocks / Necromancers / Shamans. Everything else in the game is purely secondary because the game is incredibly unbalanced.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

Surprise surprise most people who play FF games are shallow losers who play more for the dumb story/presentation than the actual gameplay.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

I just saw that it was a "proper" sequel to an FF game and got instantly turned off the way some people get about the MMO's. When I finally played it getting it from my local music store's bargain bin for $3 or something, I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't any more girly than a Charlie's Angels movie, it was just not good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When I saw the third girl wasn't going to be Lulu I immediately lost interest.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

T.G. Xarbala posted:

When I saw the third girl wasn't going to be Lulu I immediately lost interest.

This is a shame, because Paine is rad. She plays a good straight man to the rest of the Gullwings' insanity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

Surprise surprise most people who play FF games are shallow losers who play more for the dumb story/presentation than the actual gameplay.
It's not even that they play for the story/presentation, it's that - even if the story/presentation is girly as poo poo, who cares? Your dick won't fall off if you play a game that likes the color pink.

EDIT: Also if you're looking for gameplay why the gently caress are you even in a final fantasy thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paine's voice-actress hasn't been in enough things that I know of. She was really good.

And on the topic of voice-acting, never gonna forget my surprise when I first played X-2 and heard Superman voicing Nooj. Apparently this impressed Nomura or somebody so much they had him voice Sephiroth in AC. I kinda don't see the similarity between the two characters but, hey, Nomura chose Nimoy to voice Xehanort in KH so the guy has an ear for greatness. And Gippal would go on to be Zack. Baralai...I don't think he did any roles. Shame.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
The part in the opening where Paine kicks that guy in the face and then slides down the railing is probably the best thing in a Final Fantasy game I think.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

It's not even that they play for the story/presentation, it's that - even if the story/presentation is girly as poo poo, who cares? Your dick won't fall off if you play a game that likes the color pink.

EDIT: Also if you're looking for gameplay why the gently caress are you even in a final fantasy thread.

no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

gigglefeimer posted:

Endorph posted:

Guys, guys, let's agree that both the gameplay and story of every FF game is horrible!