Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Animal Crossing Wii U would be nice. How are you going to endure underwhelming console sales for years, yet skip an HD version of the 2nd highest selling 3DS game? And the highest selling game (which I'm sure is Pokemon) for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

enojy posted:

Animal Crossing Wii U would be nice. How are you going to endure underwhelming console sales for years, yet skip an HD version of the 2nd highest selling 3DS game? And the highest selling game (which I'm sure is Pokemon) for that matter?
They have a bunch of assets already for the AC plaza, surely it's inevitable.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Well this sucks, I bought the Toshiba 2TB usb drive that was listed on Nintendo's site and in less than a week the thing dies. Goodbye all my downloads and saves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Aw man that does suck. At least Toshiba will probably give you your money back.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That sucks bro. Does Nintendo do cloud saves?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

That sucks bro. Does Nintendo do cloud saves?

Nintendo doesn't even have a proper account system. Cloud saves are a pipe dream.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Hopefully the DDP is popular enough that they'll replace it with another loyalty plan, like Iwata announced last year.

Remember that your points need to be redeemed by the end of this year, and it takes overnight for points to register, so for al intents and purposes, December 30 is the last day that you can buy something that will give you points. If you buy on December 31, they will register on the website on Jan 1, which will be too late.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And once you've got the points in hand, you have to convert them into credit by March 31.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After playing the W101 demo some more, I have some more questions before I'd consider buying it.

Maybe I'm awful, but it seems there is only one attack button?

Is there something controlling when I can make a secondary unite-weapon?

Do I really have to draw a symbol to reform my dudes every time I take damage?

Is that snake-jump move in the demo the dodge move?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wildtortilla posted:

After playing the W101 demo some more, I have some more questions before I'd consider buying it.

Maybe I'm awful, but it seems there is only one attack button?

Is there something controlling when I can make a secondary unite-weapon?

Do I really have to draw a symbol to reform my dudes every time I take damage?

Is that snake-jump move in the demo the dodge move?

1) You've got the normal attack button where you use your giant unite morphs and the team attack button, which is kinda like a Pikmin charge.

2) You can do multimorphs so long as you have enough dudes leftover to make more, just press the team attack button instead of normal attack.

3) Just press the normal attack button and the game'll pull up the last unite morph you made.

4) Yes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Nintendo doesn't even have a proper account system.

Yes they do. Nintendo Network ID support has been around for quite a while.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pressing attack will rebuild your unite morph in its smallest size, you do need to redraw larger sizes if they expire. Vor you can buy the part that lets you charge unite morph size by holding attack, which should have been a default move

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yes they do. Nintendo Network ID support has been around for quite a while.

That isn't a real account system. It doesn't allow access to things on another of the same device.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a real account system. It doesn't allow access to things on another of the same device.

Yes it does. You can system transfer from a Wii to a Wii U, or from a Wii U to a different Wii U. In the event you lose or break your console, Nintendo customer support can transfer your NNID over to your new device remotely.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yes it does. You can system transfer from a Wii to a Wii U, or from a Wii U to a different Wii U. In the event you lose or break your console, Nintendo customer support can transfer your NNID over to your new device remotely.

That's not a proper account system. That's a really lovely account system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

That's not a proper account system. That's a really lovely account system.

How is it not a proper account system? Everything is linked to your Nintendo Network ID.

Seriously, I know "Waaa waaaa waaaaa Nintendo's account system is terrible, and you're all gonna lose all your games waaa waaa waaaaaaaaaa!!!" is a popular bandwagon to jump on, but at least do a modicum of research first.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

What you are describing isn't a "real" account system. Tying digital purchases to a physical piece of hardware is rear end-backwards and something they are going to have to change if they want to be a competitive video game company. Don't be the fanboy that defends Nintendo when someone brings up a real legitimate criticism of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

What you are describing isn't a "real" account system. Tying digital purchases to a physical piece of hardware is rear end-backwards and something they are going to have to change if they want to be a competitive video game company. Don't be the fanboy that defends Nintendo when someone brings up a real legitimate criticism of them.

Your digital purchases are tied to a Nintendo Network ID, which can be transferred (by the user, no less) from device to device.

Don't be the whiny pissbaby that won't press two buttons and watch a little animation to do a system transfer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jivjov posted:

Your digital purchases are tied to a Nintendo Network ID, which can be transferred (by the user, no less) from device to device.

Don't be the whiny pissbaby that won't press two buttons and watch a little animation to do a system transfer.

If you think the account system that Nintendo has is at all comparable to what Sony/MS/Valve/anyone else does you're blind. I mean I'm an enormous Nintendo fan but it's crystal clear that Nintendo's doing it wrong. It's enormously frustrating too when other companies already paved the road in front of them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why does someone always leap in to defend this poo poo? Admittedly, it's way better than it used to be but Nintendo hasn't really good job communicating these changes and even with the newer stuff it's still way shittier than what everyone else had and not really something I'm ever sure why some people leap to defend.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
But if your original console is stolen or irreparably broken, then you're stuck with calling Nintendo to help out. It's not something I could see minding at all personally, but I can understand most other people being annoyed about it because other console manufacturers have managed not to have this issue.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It does make sense to be a whiny pissbaby when you can't simply log in and redownload if your system is stolen or breaks without calling Nintendo.

Yes it's not worse than Hitler, yes Nintendo customer service is generally great, but it's an extra amazingly stupid pointless step in a process that their competition does FAR better.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 2, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PneumonicBook posted:

If you think the account system that Nintendo has is at all comparable to what Sony/MS/Valve/anyone else does you're blind. I mean I'm an enormous Nintendo fan but it's crystal clear that Nintendo's doing it wrong. It's enormously frustrating too when other companies already paved the road in front of them.

Who says it has to be comparable? Yes, I agree, it'd be a nice convenience feature to be able to log in on a friend's Wii U and download my games on there, but that's not a service that Nintendo offers. They have never promised to offer it, it is never implied that that will be the case, and there are no laws or regulations of account systems that require accounts to work that way.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If you have anything bad to say about Nintendo then you are a whiny pissbaby

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

the truth posted:

If you have anything bad complete made-up bullshit to say about Nintendo then you are a whiny pissbaby

FTFY

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
lol this lovely debate never gets old.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

lol this lovely debate never gets old.

There is always the one weird person who defends it for no real reason.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

At the very least does this have to come up every other page?

I imagine if all the people angry about this on the internet used half of the amount of energy they use to whine about it all the drat time, and used it to send letters/emails to Nintendo, or hell, just spammed Miiverse with this poo poo, they might actually get somewhere on getting this changed.

I mean, these are all valid complaints, but we loving get it. We loving get it every other page.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm just glad they didn't use backerkit

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

jivjov posted:

Who says it has to be comparable? Yes, I agree, it'd be a nice convenience feature to be able to log in on a friend's Wii U and download my games on there, but that's not a service that Nintendo offers. They have never promised to offer it, it is never implied that that will be the case, and there are no laws or regulations of account systems that require accounts to work that way.

None of these things you're saying here stop it from being bad and stupid.

Defending them being ten years behind the rest of the industry with "but they're not legally required to do it!" is especially hilarious, so good job on that one :thumbsup:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ, shut up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

There is always the one weird person who defends it for no real reason.

It's always the same one specific person in fact. :ssh:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jivjov posted:

It's 2014, that excuse would be much more acceptable in 2006.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

you some kind of idiot or something

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fremry posted:

if they want to be a competitive video game company

lol

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

A competitive marketplace that Nintendo is losing as well as their unhappy owners (the stockholders) say they have to get with the times. Also loving lol on you being so dense that your only defense is that there is no law saying they have to do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I barely buy any digital stuff from Nintendo any more because of how bad their account system still is. When the Wii first came out I went whole hog into the Virtual Console due to my love of classic games and such. When my Wii bricked itself years later* I was lucky in that the customer service person looked at my account and basically still did a free replacement+account transfer on it with a new Wii even though it was like four years out of warranty due to the large amount of content I had purchased. When the Wii U was coming out they were talking about improving the system and there have been some improvements but the fact that I can drop or lose my 3DS and be screwed is insane. Especially after the brief but inexcusable transitional period where Wii, DSi and 3DS all that completely separate currencies and accounts.

It was especially disappointing because compared to the 360's XBox Live and the PS3's PSN, Nintendo's store was amazing, it also had a good web browser for 2006 with tabs and everything, and you could easily get another friend's Mii/information onto your system just by having them bring their remote over to play a game. So the "online" part of the Wii was actually great when it came out on a superficial surface level. But then when you actually started using it...

*Never ever ever ever ever ever play Alien Crush Returns.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
hey nintendo, fremry here from somethingawful forums, i know youre new and all to the biz so heres some quick pointers if you want to succeed

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

I just hope we don't get another City Folk. What they added was cool, but... they added barely anything at all. I would still really like to see bigger towns with more varied topography, especially in the way of things like hills and whatnot, as well some options for different kinds of biomes/environments (although I guess it would stop being "Animal Forest" at that point). As long as it isn't just "here's the exact same game with basically one decent-sized change that doesn't do a whole lot, then I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

hey nintendo, fremry here from somethingawful forums, i know youre new and all to the biz so heres some quick pointers if you want to succeed

Iwata just admitted that region locking is something they have to end because it doesn't benefit consumers after 30 years of steadfastly putting their fingers in their ears and yelling "La la la la la". The account thing is already something they've started to undo. These are both arcane consumer unfriendly policies that Nintendo got away with for decades because they owned the industry. They don't anymore and they are eating their words and having to fix the bad policies. Nothing I'm saying is anything that Nintendo hasn't already explicitly or implicitly admitted they need to fix.

• Locked thread