Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I have MP Wheeljack, how the hell do I get his faceplate off? And then will it click back on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yo Canadians the Hasbro Kellogg coupon is back, and this year the first 25,000 entrants get a $20 free toy coupon this year. Next 75,000 get the usual $10 off thing.

Goldskull posted:

I have MP Wheeljack, how the hell do I get his faceplate off? And then will it click back on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73glYyQJaw

This guy does a lot of instructional videos.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Ah cool. I can do that but i'm not and it's nice to know it's there.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

Made the return trip to Kokomo Toys with a friend. Picked up Animated Swindle (he rules!) Prowl, Sentinel, Swoop, Blackarachnia, Earth Ratchet and Leader Class Bulkhead with Headmaster. I may have been too harsh on Animated, if the toys are this excellent the show can't be as bad as I'm remembering.

Yeah I didn't want to get into a discussion about it because tastes vary so much but it really is a great show, especially by season 3.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So why in the hell are the MTMTE trades $20 for 4 issues? Other then getting the issues being kind of a butt, that a weird up fee. Especially with Volume one only having 3 MTMTE issues and then the death of OP in it. I only want Roberts IDW, why won't you give him to me?

The B&N I went to also had the Windblade GN for $17, which is also 4 issues, so I'm not sure what is going on with their pricing. (and I have 2 of the 4 WB issues, so that's like $11 wasted... ugh)

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

To answer a previous question, I got one of those knock off ROTF Buster Primes.

It's good, like almost 90% like the real deal, which I had. A few joints are a bit looser and the gas tank guns don't peg together very well but apart from that you wouldn't be able to tell its a KO.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Anora posted:

So why in the hell are the MTMTE trades $20 for 4 issues? Other then getting the issues being kind of a butt, that a weird up fee. Especially with Volume one only having 3 MTMTE issues and then the death of OP in it. I only want Roberts IDW, why won't you give him to me?
I don't remember if Death was a double sized issue or not, but the other volumes are all 5-6 issues worth. They're divided up the way they are because they collect story arcs, so length varies.
And Death of Optimus was half Roberts.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Goon posted:

To answer a previous question, I got one of those knock off ROTF Buster Primes.

It's good, like almost 90% like the real deal, which I had. A few joints are a bit looser and the gas tank guns don't peg together very well but apart from that you wouldn't be able to tell its a KO.

Thanks! I may pick it up then.

I've mostly been collecting combiners, Lost Light Crew, and whatever current HasTak stuff catches my eye. But I have a few other items I prowl for occasionally, like that ROTF Prime (and Jetfire too), and like RID Optimus.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvOIS4symw

Baltmatrix got Brainstorm. Apparently his has an assembly error that caused an issue with the Headmaster gimmick. Jet mode looks meh, transformation is simple the robot mode is solid. I'll be keeping my pre-order on this one.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Arsenal_12 posted:

Baltmatrix got Brainstorm. Apparently his has an assembly error that caused an issue with the Headmaster gimmick. Jet mode looks meh, transformation is simple the robot mode is solid. I'll be keeping my pre-order on this one.

Ugh. Love hearing him go between marbles in his mouth to high pitch whine squeak every 10 seconds.

Peaugh got one as well, review should be coming soon if you want avoid Balt.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Secht posted:

Peaugh got one as well, review should be coming soon if you want avoid Balt.
Seriously, avoid Balt unless you really just gotta watch it, that review is awful and weird. Was I hallucinating or did he flat out repeat a chunk of the review in a different tone mid-way through? And he strongly implies he damaged it, then rides up and down on how 'the headmaster gimmick doesn't work' abruptly blurting out "so you should buy a Takara one". Huh?

Figure looks pretty alright though. Makes me wish FP had released a plated Smart robin, though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Avoid all reviews except thew.

Is anyone else playing angry birds TF?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Because I could never bring myself to shell out the big bucks for City Commander and I don't collect Masterpieces, I am thrilled by the rumor (perhaps more than a rumor?) that Hasbro is coming out with a IDW-style Leader Ultra Magnus that should still be recognizable as a G1-inspired design.

Are the Leaders all more or less the same height? I don't have any, but I'm pretty sure they would tower over the Deluxes and Voyagers. Who is taller, Leader Jetfire or MP-01 Optimus (the only Masterpiece I have)?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 2, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ka0 posted:

Avoid all reviews except thew.

Is anyone else playing angry birds TF?
I'm playing it and it's a hoot. I'm level 72 and I've got 13 characters unlocked, and I haven't spent a dime on in-app purchases.
Level 25 or so is a bit of a hurdle that feels like it's trying to get you to start buying IAP (or just quit) but if you stick with it you'll start unlocking some brokenly overpowered characters ( Grimlock, Energon Starscream) who are amazing at making money, and you'll free up a ton of zones that passively generate money for you.

I did cave and get one of the Telepod 2-packs, Sentinel Prime and Bludgeon. As toys go they're pretty neat and fun to mess with, although I wish they better resembled the in-game character models, both in terms of sculpt and paint. I could see myself getting more of the Telepods if they came down in price a bit, which I'm sure they will.
Their in-game gimmick is pretty neat - being able to instantly recharge those 2 characters' armor for free or supercharge them is pretty cool. Telepods definitely don't feel like a necessary component to succeed in the game, they're more of a clever accessory that happens to give some mild benefits if you choose to buy them.

For a free mobile game, I'm really entertained. The soundtrack owns, the character animations are awesome and often hilarious, and the characters feel different enough that even "repaint" characters (Ultra Magnus, Soundblaster) are fun to play as.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It's a good thing you told me about that level 25 stuff because I'm one lvl away from unlocking more map. Also, heatwave is hilariously satisfying and hard to play as.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Ka0 posted:

It's a good thing you told me about that level 25 stuff because I'm one lvl away from unlocking more map. Also, heatwave is hilariously satisfying and hard to play as.

I think Sentinel Prime is in the next batch available to you. He's Heatwave, but with black forearms and shins, and shoots three beams instead of just one. It owns.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Arsenal_12 posted:

No removable mask with Decepticon symbol or Briefcase, I see.

Ugh, figure ruined, 0/10.

I'm so getting it... So cool. Also I have two people at two different local retailers looking for Windblade, man Kansas was so good about getting the last few waves in early. Saw Skybyte today as well, I have no soul, so I'm just not interested.

Did someone else grab a Tailgate for Rhyno (I think)? No PMs will make it hard for me to get one to you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ka0 posted:

With Heatwave and Sentinel, it's important to use their secondary abilities wisely, and try to pair them with buddies who can make up for their weaknesses. You have to try and time and anticipate when you deploy abilities/buddies to get maximum effect out of them.

You may have noticed that Astrotrain will fly overhead near the end of each level, and once he flies overhead, you can't deploy your buddy anymore. Well that's a two-way street - if your buddy is on the ground when Astrotrain flies by, your buddy will stay with you to the end of the level, even past their deploy timer. So it's always in your best interest to try and gauge where the end is and have your buddy deployed before that. A lot of the levels get recycled, so over time you can start to learn when Astrotrain flies by.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

No removable mask with Decepticon symbol or Briefcase, I see.

Ugh, figure ruined, 0/10.

I'm so getting it... So cool. Also I have two people at two different local retailers looking for Windblade, man Kansas was so good about getting the last few waves in early. Saw Skybyte today as well, I have no soul, so I'm just not interested.

Did someone else grab a Tailgate for Rhyno (I think)? No PMs will make it hard for me to get one to you.

I actually caved and bought a bunch of them off HTS so I'm good. Thanks bud.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Peaugh's review of Brainstorm is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZHH9JUZVg. Much more watchable, compares to Smart Robin and Toyworld's Brainstorm as well.

Peaugh really likes it. Also there's a moment in this review that will make Ka0 happy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder how long before a 3rd-party head goes on sale.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CyRaptor posted:

Mineral spirits won't remove the paint at all (I tried too), but denatured alcohol works like a charm. Even rubbing alcohol had a better effect and I can see it working over a longer period of time. The reason you're supposed to remove the paint first is that, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the chrome is much more resilient to separating from the plastic in the areas where there's still paint. If Super Clean alone works after 24 hours, that's fine, but the denatured alcohol + sodium nitrate solution takes all of maybe 15 minutes total.

Incidentally, for anyone else who's following Cheetimus' dechroming tutorial, Drano or any other generic drain cleaner with sodium nitrate is much cheaper and easier to find than Super Clean and works just as well.
So, for anyone else who wants to do this, I tried this method for de-chroming Jetfire. I also did it the un-recommended lazy man's way and didn't remove the paint first. First of all, none of the drain cleaners I looked at said if they sodium nitrate or not, or really any of their ingredients, so I just went with plain-old original Drano.

It took a full week of soaking in the Drano for all the chrome to come off. And unlike some other people have reported with the other methods, the patches of remaining chrome wouldn't flake off to the touch like I thought they would half way through. I had to wait for all the chrome to dissolve completely. Then even after the chrome was dissolved it turned out the paint was still on there somehow like some kind of weird shell. The paint would flake off, but not without some effort, so I ended up having to soak the whole thing in rubbing alcohol anyway. Which led me to discover the black vents on the front of Jetfire's main boosters is paint, not a separate piece like the jets on the back.

So basically don't do what I did. Strip the paint first, and be ready to repaint the black on the boosters if you want it there. But he does look a lot better unchromed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The MSJ posted:

I wonder how long before a 3rd-party head goes on sale.
What's wrong with the head it comes with?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

What's wrong with the head it comes with?

I can see people complaining about the neck joint and the lack of proper arms on the tiny guy. Other than that, they might want something related to recent events in the comics. I expect something like that to come in a set with a briefcase.

edit: And maybe crucifix and Bible accessories, what with cartoon Brainstorm being a Christian and all. It wouldn't be strange since Babywave exists.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 3, 2014

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wow Brainstorm looks fabulous! I can't wait to get him, come on BBTS!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah as I said before he's super simple but it does it in all the right ways. I really want that Brainstorm!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Side to side, Unique toys Warlord, TFC Ares and Mastermind creations Feral Rex.

Why, exactly, is feral rex "the hands down winner"?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
If anyone in the Vancouver, BC area was curious as to why you haven't been able to find an MP Soundwave, here's your loving answer. :rodimus:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
You know, normally I'm not in favor of doxxing.

Normally.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

If anyone in the Vancouver, BC area was curious as to why you haven't been able to find an MP Soundwave, here's your loving answer. :rodimus:

This reminds me of the Grimlock hoarding guy, who after boasting about it managed to get himself banned from TFW. He got unbanned after a short while and then people could get banned themselves for calling him out on it :shepface:

Same with the guy who gloated about stealing figures' weapons and returning the weaponless toys for refunds, multiple times.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 3, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that poo poo makes me seethingly angry, and I've already GOT MP Soundwave.

He's so GOOD. Everyone should have the opportunity to play with him. but fuckers like this guy...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Side to side, Unique toys Warlord, TFC Ares and Mastermind creations Feral Rex.

Why, exactly, is feral rex "the hands down winner"?

UT's is poo poo, plastic quality feels cheap and the individual bots are just bland. Not a lot of detail all around, looks fine from a distance shot like that but loses a lot close up.

I don't have much experience with TFC's but I found them hitting well on alt modes but the robot modes are lacking. I had also started MMC prior and was very happy with them by the time TFC released their first limb.

MMC shines on the detail and plastic quality. Also the Feral Tex in that picture is set up shorter, he can be combined a bit taller so he shows more leg and can get more poses out of it.

Really buy what you want. Very few people I've heard who have Feral Rex weren't satisfied. I got nothing against TFC, but I dig the MMC aesthetic.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I pretty much agree with therealjon here. I love love love my Feral Rex and have had absolutely zero issues with anything related to QC, which is almost unheard of for 3rd-party toys. I didn't have to shave anything, Future Shine anything, unscrew and tighten anything--nothing. The same for Hexatron. I can't say that about Hercules (who I love) or Uranos (who is great), or the stuff I have from MakeToys or FansToys.

(I think all my FansProject stuff came without any problems; so did the twin pack from Mech Ideas.)

Outside of that, I enjoy MMC's aesthetic more. I think on the boards someone said that the TFC toy version was more like a Classics version of Predaking while MMC was like a MP version, and I would agree with that overall (up to a point, as I haven't held the TFC version). I think the TFC version looks more cartoonish, somehow, like Deluxe versions of toys blown up to look larger.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'll third therealjon on all counts. UT's is just garbage, TFC is nice but lacking, MMC is top quality work that looks way more like the proper update of the Predaking design I wanted. Plus the individual robots are all great and come with a bunch of weapons to play with. And as Captain Magic said, the Feral Rex guys are all very well designed and have no QA issues to speak of. The only major complaints I've seen are related to the "hollow forearms" of three of them, and Not-Rampage came with three arm-filler accessories just in response to that.

Honestly given a choice I'd probably pick MMC's version of just about anything over any of the other third parties going right now. They're a quality outfit with quality products.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Agreed, I love MMC's takes on characters. They tend to "modern" them up a bit where a lot of 3P companies like to keep them as G1'ish as possible. Them and FP have been doing some pretty nice updates to some cool characters.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Is there a significant price difference between the three?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

revtoiletduck posted:

Is there a significant price difference between the three?

TFC and MMC's are about $100 each (slightly more for the torsos). UT's are $20-25 cheaper than that.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
KO MP Ratbat is on eBay now for $20 shipped

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Italian names for the Autobot Headmasters: Duobot (Chromedome), Cruiserbot (Highbrow), Blindobot (Hardhead), and Brainstorm is GOBLIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

catch22 posted:

KO MP Ratbat is on eBay now for $20 shipped

once i hear reviews I'mma jump on that.