Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'll throw in a couple of quick recommendations if you're including ongoing LPs:

Chip & Ironicus doing Wonderful 101:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645180
Masterful playthrough of a Wii game by Platinum (Bayonetta, MGR:Revengeance) that most people will have never seen.

And Bobbin Threadbare's LP of Deus Ex which should be concluded next week:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600646
Even if you've played the game to death like I have it's worth watching for the extra effort Bobbin puts in to the segments at the end of each video discussing in detail various conspiracies and other things referenced in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Skippy has a Redneck Rampage LP going on:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651264&pagenumber=1
He regularly brings in different guests so they can talk about just how redneck-y their particular area is, which ranges from "not at all" to "I see 12 rebel flags on the way to work every morning". The game is pretty alright too, for a Duke Nukem clone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
berryjon is going a great subtitled LP of Homeworld:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669457

And MassRafTer is doing an absolutely hilarious straight LP of Sonic 2006 with HukaMatt:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656903
It serves as a nice counterbalance and compliment to pokecapn's LP of it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

There are something like a million Nancy Drew games out there, but Nancy Drew and the Silent Spy has something special about it. That something special happens to be a writer who apparently watched a couple dozen spy films, didn't understand a single frame of them, and then decided that he could write some clever spy banter despite this fact.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
If you want to watch a blind Phoenix Wright playthrough, this is the guy to watch. The flaws inherent to a blind Phoenix Wright VLP are still there, but he generally seems to figure stuff out quickly, and he doesn't read the dialogue like 99% of Phoenix Wright LPs on Youtube. The only major problem I've seen so far is a lot of yelling into the mic in his Case 3 Part 3 video while he tries the "feature" where you yell Objection into the DS mic; he gives up on that by the next part.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It doesn't look like anyone on SA has done one, but are there watchable LPs of the Gears of War games anywhere around? I get the sense that they might not make for super exciting viewing, but I'd still like to see for myself. (If only to have some context for the books, which are surprisingly enjoyable.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not quite finished, but nine gear crow's White Knight Chronicles is a brilliantly done piss take on a game that could've been fantastic but instead failed on almost every conceivable level. The level of effort he's put into it is ridiculous, and you should be reading it.

Skip to the first update, though. The character list has some pretty massive spoilers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This PSA is to inform you that the extreme sports games LP has reached the point of driving a toy pimp car for the glory of Satan.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
I have been really enjoyin the current McKilligan play through of Xcom.

One of the reasons is becasue it has soemone who worked on the game as a co-commentator

Are there any other LPs which do the same>

Also please do not recommend that game about some squirel where 3 drunk English developers talking about it! Tried it not my thing! Even a good thread with someone who chips in about the game they worked on would be interesting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hideki Kamiya did an LP of a game he directed, Bayonetta, if that interests you. It wasn't an SA thing, but Yoshesque linked to it alongside her Bayonetta LP for ease of access.

http://www.lparchive.org/Bayonetta

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

A couple of the developers on earlier Ratchet & Clank games did LPs of Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. The LPs are of questionable technical quality but the stories they tell are really interesting, in my opinion.

Doesn't hurt that I love the games.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They didn't finish it, but the developers behind Defender's Quest* did 12 videos on their game. The playlist only goes up to 10, but there are 2 more on the channel. They go into a lot of really interesting stuff they ran into while making the game.

*Defender's Quest is a really good indie tower defense game with some RPG elements stirred in. They've been working on Defender's Quest 2 for a while now, and just put up some info on their progress yesterday, including info on another free update to DQ1 and some new animations from their new artists and a teaser for a Weaslemancer for DQ2, among other things. Lars Doucet, the main programmer, also does a number of posts about developing in general, like how Steam's recent discovery system made a major impact for them.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Hideki Kamiya did an LP of a game he directed, Bayonetta, if that interests you. It wasn't an SA thing, but Yoshesque linked to it alongside her Bayonetta LP for ease of access.

http://www.lparchive.org/Bayonetta

Someone also compiled the series in a massive ~7 hour video on youtube, if you just want to skip the other LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

A couple of the developers on earlier Ratchet & Clank games did LPs of Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. The LPs are of questionable technical quality but the stories they tell are really interesting, in my opinion.

Doesn't hurt that I love the games.

I love these LPs. They're terrible at the games but it's so interesting to hear about the development of the series that it more than makes up for it.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

SelenicMartian posted:

This PSA is to inform you that the extreme sports games LP has reached the point of driving a toy pimp car for the glory of Satan.

Why have I only now seen this LP? Everyone should drop what they are doing and watch that LP.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

yoshesque posted:

Someone also compiled the series in a massive ~7 hour video on youtube, if you just want to skip the other LP.

You shut up. The SA Bayonetta lp is great and informative. Everyone just now getting into Bayonetta on the Wii U should give it a look.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ultrafilter posted:

It's not quite finished, but nine gear crow's White Knight Chronicles is a brilliantly done piss take on a game that could've been fantastic but instead failed on almost every conceivable level. The level of effort he's put into it is ridiculous, and you should be reading it.

Skip to the first update, though. The character list has some pretty massive spoilers.

I hope it ends soon. I fear that crow is going mad. No one should have to play such a lovely game, let alone multiple times.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, there's also the LP that Coulis did for both the first and second game: http://lparchive.org/Obscure-1-and-2/

Definitely a mixed bag for a horror game, and a lot bleaker than you would imagine.

I've been the Retsupurae version for Obscure 2, and I have to agree that this game is kinda weird. Certainly not the worst game Retsupurae has played, but the dialogue is baffling a lot of the times and the gameplay is a little all over the place. The plot sounded very familiar to me, and when I looked it up, it turns out that my brother's friend is the guy responsible for the pretty good, but really unfitting music. I met him myself once, and he's a really decent guy. :shobon: Too bad the game itself is not so great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

4th Asclepiadean posted:

I've been the Retsupurae version for Obscure 2, and I have to agree that this game is kinda weird. Certainly not the worst game Retsupurae has played, but the dialogue is baffling a lot of the times and the gameplay is a little all over the place. The plot sounded very familiar to me, and when I looked it up, it turns out that my brother's friend is the guy responsible for the pretty good, but really unfitting music. I met him myself once, and he's a really decent guy. :shobon: Too bad the game itself is not so great.

They later went on to make Alone in the Dark 2008!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

yoshesque posted:

I love Kamiya-san. "I'm home alone and lonely. I'll be playing the game by myself." I bet his house is full of game posters.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I love Kamiya-san. "I'm home alone and lonely. I'll be playing the game by myself." I bet his house is full of game posters.

Dude has a literal home arcade with tons and tons of PCBs for different games, game posters seem pretty lowbrow for him. :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any tolerable LPs of Spore that show off more than one system for the whole game? Every LP I've seen on youtube seems to be 'screams at the screen as they murder everyone' while also having really bad commentary.

Some kind of informative one would be nice, but I'm not sure those even exist outside SA.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

KittyEmpress posted:

Are there any tolerable LPs of Spore that show off more than one system for the whole game? Every LP I've seen on youtube seems to be 'screams at the screen as they murder everyone' while also having really bad commentary.

Some kind of informative one would be nice, but I'm not sure those even exist outside SA.

Smite streamed Spore some time ago and is uploading it to Youtube. It's pretty good.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
argue about deop and the medibot crew :911:

SS13 is going to bed

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

If you like mass murder, three drunk buddies and goons mislabelling fruits are you should check out the Pikmin 3 LP by zfleeman and company.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

yoshesque posted:

If you like mass murder, three drunk buddies and goons mislabelling fruits are you should check out the Pikmin 3 LP by zfleeman and company.

It is very good.

It is also very painful to watch, RIP pikmin.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i dont want to seem vain... but my lp is very good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i dont want to seem vain... but my lp is very good

Geop posted:

1) Do not recommend/plug your thread or one that you are guesting in. This is probatable, bear in mind. This thread is NOT for plugging your thread; it's for people to suggest LPs which may have fallen by the wayside in the archives, or an ongoing one which is very good. Bottom line? Don't mention your thread.

Nice.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
dscruffy1 you seem like a real buzzkill. you seem like a guy who isnt fun to be around. you seem like a big loser. you seem like you suck.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

THE PENETRATOR posted:

dscruffy1 you seem like a real buzzkill. you seem like a guy who isnt fun to be around. you seem like a big loser. you seem like you suck.

It's true. These are all things. Also you seem kinda vain a little bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can't be a true LP superstar unless you're humble as gently caress.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

poo poo, that's what I've been doing wrong.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

oh
my
god

Mods????

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mega64 posted:

i do what i want when i want you cant stop me

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm a sucker for people getting spooked. Catsworth's Dead Space LP from the 2007 Thread is the only one I can really think of where the LPer gets scared. Are there any other LPs (on or off-site) like this?

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Huntman posted:

I'm a sucker for people getting spooked. Catsworth's Dead Space LP from the 2007 Thread is the only one I can really think of where the LPer gets scared. Are there any other LPs (on or off-site) like this?

He doesn't exactly get spooked, but Outlast's LPer puts on a tone in his narrative that goes with the game's flow. The LPer's a great voice actor that really adds to the atmosphere.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a good LP of the Valkyria Chronicles, either on or off site, the only good LP I found was deceit penguins and almost everything was broken or missing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a good LP of the Valkyria Chronicles, either on or off site, the only good LP I found was deceit penguins and almost everything was broken or missing.
Hopefully with the PC version that just came out someone will do it, or I could do it because I love anime.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As an avowed Taster, I feel obliged to point out that the Men Drinking Coffee have just wrapped up a Let's Play of Duck Dynasty: the Video Game: Retribution that's up to their usual standards of quality. If you want to watch Diaper Chris crash a truck into trees, crash an airboat into trees, master the art of the duck call, sneak around in a cardboard box, and struggle to follow directions on a minimap all in the richly detailed Duck Dyna-verse, you should go check out their Youtube channel (as I don't believe they've posted it here for some reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Turtlicious posted:

I had a cool idea for an LP of that game but I don't think I'd be able to do it anytime soon.