Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The creator of the game probably cares how the game is played and is free to patch out exploits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, who does this Red guy think he is

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're making a game to see people play it right, even if it comes at the expense of what they actually bought it for, then I think you're kinda doing poo poo wrong. Nobody buys your products as a personal favour to you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Luckily it doesn't matter what you or anything thinks, it only matters what actually happens, and Terraria's doing just fine even with the (at times) dumb gating.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It matters to the people who paid money for it and came away dissatisfied. But I guess that doesn't matter, because hey, you think it's doing fine. Who cares about those other plebs anyway.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He's making the game harder as a personal favor for the people who enjoy the challenge, like me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It is doing fine though? Don't sales always spike up freakishly high around patch times? It's game that released more than four years ago, with a leaked version of the almost-final game hitting the internet a while before that, and it still has enough drawing power to be able to afford to be constantly on sale for like a dollar, still gets a lot of buzz when big (free!) patches drop, and still has a lot of discussion going on about it as evident by this very thread. It's doing well no matter how bad it hurts your feelings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know what, forget it. The fact that you think the sales figures are actually the part that matters there makes it pretty clear you'll never get the point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're making a game to see people play it right, even if it comes at the expense of what they actually bought it for, then I think you're kinda doing poo poo wrong. Nobody buys your products as a personal favour to you.

So what was this about, then, if not commenting on how no one will buy, play, or support the game if he doesn't tailor it to their needs?

Also there was another part of my post after money stuff. Like the part about how people actually still get excited about upcoming features and changes and still care enough about the game to discuss it.

VVV There needs to be more Terraria clones that aren't garbage. Starbound, right now, isn't even on the same level. VVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 2, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It matters to the people who paid money for it and came away dissatisfied. But I guess that doesn't matter, because hey, you think it's doing fine. Who cares about those other plebs anyway.

I guess if people are unhappy they can always go play Starbpppfffhahahahahahahahahaha

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Nothing wrong with that, it just seems weird and kind of arrogant to me that someone would rather ruin people's fun than let them do stuff in the wrong order. Like it's more important that they do it your way. I mean, why would anyone care so much?

loving idiot game developers "caring" about their work.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

So what was this about, then, if not commenting on how no one will buy, play, or support the game if he doesn't tailor it to their needs?
Something entirely unrelated. Reflect on the difference between "catering to someone's desires" and "not actively ruining their fun" and you might eventually get it.

Read posted:

loving idiot game developers "caring" about their work.
And the customers are even worse. It's almost as if they think their satisfaction with the product they bought actually matters.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He's not ruining mine or anyone I know's fun, but yeah, I guess that doesn't matter, because hey, you think it's terrible. Who cares about us other plebs anyway.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

And the customers are even worse. It's almost as if they think their satisfaction with the product they bought actually matters.

It's incredibly hosed up that Redigit is making the game he wants to make, not the one you want him to.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sales don't factor into this at all, which is why I keep bringing up how happy people are or aren't with their purchases.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't be the only one who would downgrade to 1.2.0.x in a heartbeat if someone would figure out how to backport the smart cursor. The game was a lot more fun when you could choose to progress somewhere else if one part or another of hardmode wasn't working out for you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man the smart cursor kicks so much rear end. I don't know if I would drop back, since I do like all the wooden stuff and the building materials added, since building houses and poo poo is the primary reason I play the game these days while I'm waiting for the new update, but I can see why you would.

I don't mind where bosses are at right now, since they're pretty tough to take down solo and I like that. plus I play with friends mostly anyway. I don't built arenas, so it takes me a little more effort to kill one than for most people playing this game by themselves, but I don't mind. Stuff like the locked chests in the dungeon and other non-boss related progression gates like the lizard temple I could do without, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just inventory edit yourself some vampire knives when you hit hardmode and congratulations you have the high-level Terraria veteran sequence break available to you when 1.2 first came out, without any of the grinding. At least specter armor was properly fixed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And Vampire Knives are technically Melee too, so for people who actually care about that, there you go.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

Just inventory edit yourself some vampire knives when you hit hardmode and congratulations you have the high-level Terraria veteran sequence break available to you when 1.2 first came out, without any of the grinding. At least specter armor was properly fixed.

Ehhhh, I personally wouldn't say fixed. Balanced, yes, but it wasn't too broken to begin with in my opinion. I used Spectre and thought it fine to use. Once they broke the headgear into either hood or helmet (I think?), it pretty much caused the difficulty to spike for me. While I did eventually adapt my playstyle to suit, it still is more difficult to main the Mana skill tree now that Spectre is nerfed.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's fixed because you now ignore the lifesteal and get the new hat that makes you poo poo more magic.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I want to replay Terraria now but I can't help feeling the update is going to drop soon and then I won't have motivation to play the new content (because I like to roll a new character for it since it often affects more than just the endgame).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

It's fixed because you now ignore the lifesteal and get the new hat that makes you poo poo more magic.

Admittedly, I use the hood and consider it quite better than the helmet/hat/whatever it is that does damage. I'll take health regen over increased damage most of the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Read posted:

It's incredibly hosed up that Redigit is making the game he wants to make, not the one you want him to.
I will never understand why gamers are the only people in the world stupid and desperate enough to think that they do not have any right to get a product they are happy with when they give someone their money. Nobody would ever accept getting his paid-for donut taken away and refilled with poo poo instead of jelly because "that's the product the baker wanted to make."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ lmao

Read posted:

I want to replay Terraria now but I can't help feeling the update is going to drop soon and then I won't have motivation to play the new content (because I like to roll a new character for it since it often affects more than just the endgame).

Do what I've been doing and just pretty up a "bank/dump" map with a nice house and lots of landscaping. You can use it to just hold all your cool new poo poo until you get your actual new updated map's village up to snuff.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

I will never understand why gamers are the only people in the world stupid and desperate enough to think that they do not have any right to get a product they are happy with when they give someone their money. Nobody would ever accept getting his paid-for donut taken away and refilled with poo poo instead of jelly because "that's the product the baker wanted to make."

I bought a "donut" and this "baker" and he keeps refilling it with more "delicious pumpkin cream" every couple of months so I don't know what your problem is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah sure, we're the ones who think we don't have a right to a product we're happy with, when you're comparing something we like to poo poo because you don't like it lmao

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Moogle posted:

Candidly, I'm getting on a bit now and I'm not great at ghouls n' gaiden anymore (I never was either) but after previous playthroughs felt a little stymied by hitting what were - to me - these walls that malaise was cured by installing tAPI and a selection of Shockah's mods.
Thanks for posting this, it's actually really rad. Didn't know he'd brought those mods from Tshock to TAPI finally, here's hoping he keeps them updated so when 1.3 lands I can lay some of these on top of the new content. Being able to force a bloodmoon/eclipse is enough to sell me on installing it all by itself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see what the problem is with this? The whole point of the dungeon guardians is so people have to beat Skeletron before they can get all the cool awesome powerful dungeon loot. Kinda pointless if you can just slip in, marathon it to a couple of chests, die, and come back with post-Skeletron weapons that will make Skeletron a pushover. It was either slap locks on everything or seal the dungeon up the way the jungle temple is.

Or he could've left it alone as something people might try to do since it's hard as gently caress and you might end up with nothing to show for it. He put locks on those chests for the same reason he locked the chests in Hell. People getting gear before he thinks they deserve it? gently caress those guys for trying to think differently in an open exploration game.

Also good to see familiar faces making GBS threads up this thread and not just the Starbound one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No one is making GBS threads up the thread, people just have different opinions than you do. Difficulty (and "Difficulty") chat does matter unlike some poo poo that got brought up in the Starbound thread, because if the game does change how things are right now, it actually will effect how much some people enjoy the game. I like where hard mode bosses are right now, them being pushovers would make me not like them. I'm with you on the gating nonsense with the locked chests even though I don't think it's that big of a deal. I wouldn't like to see more of that sort of thing.

E: in fact, if you're referring to Devour of Fire, I'd say they're making GBS threads the thread up much less than other people, perhaps that they're not making GBS threads the thread up at all. At least they're not expressing their opinions through self-rightous sneering, passive aggressive sniping, or retarded one-sided analogies.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 3, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Hia point is, just because there is an intended progression doesn't mean people are doing poo poo wrong just because they figure out a way to sequence break it. Who gains anything by preventing them from it? Playing a game is about having fun, not stiffly following a checklist someone else set down for you. Who gets hurt so much by people enjoying their high-risk dungeon delving that you need to ruin their fun because of it?

Actually, because everything else is balanced around the progression, breaking the progression means that you're more powerful than the bosses were designed to fight, allowing you to trivialize significant portions of the game (see also: Mushroom Spear).

Cardiovorax posted:

"Oh no, this game that I play is of a style that doesn't appeal to me, personally. Clearly that means literally everyone in the world hates the game and the creator is literally making GBS threads in his customers' mouths with this stupid wildly popular game that nobody on the planet could ever possibly like"

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Actually, because everything else is balanced around the progression, breaking the progression means that you're more powerful than the bosses were designed to fight, allowing you to trivialize significant portions of the game (see also: Mushroom Spear).
Which is a huge problem, because other players choosing to make things easier on themselves on their separate little servers in their separate little worlds influences you... how, exactly?

Seriously, I keep seeing this attitude all the time, about a lot of games, and I just can't find even one person capable of explaining what the issue even is. Why do you care what anyone besides yourself does? Do you feel it invalidates the fun you had doing things properly to know that other people don't bother? I would consider that a ridiculously dumb sentiment, but at least it would be a reason to even give a poo poo that all those old exploits ever existed.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The problem is that before the game had options for people who enjoy linear progression and for people who enjoy breaking the game. The changes just alter the game so only the people who enjoy linear progression are able to continue enjoying the game, which is pointless when there's no competitive aspect and all it leaves is some laughable notion of artistic integrity in a video game.

It is all a bit silly when the game is so easily moddable to play it however you want, but then it's silly to add unnecessary additional gating of content as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Which is a huge problem, because other players choosing to make things easier on themselves on their separate little servers in their separate little worlds influences you... how, exactly?

Seriously, I keep seeing this attitude all the time, about a lot of games, and I just can't find even one person capable of explaining what the issue even is. Why do you care what anyone besides yourself does? Do you feel it invalidates the fun you had doing things properly to know that other people don't bother? I would consider that a ridiculously dumb sentiment, but at least it would be a reason to even give a poo poo that all those old exploits ever existed.

I don't really care, but apparently Red seems to care about the design of his game, and it's kind of obnoxious when people scream about how dare he patch out broken stuff.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I don't like the design decisions the game's creator made and rather than simply moving on with my life I'm going to post every day about how he hates fun and me personally and criticize the incredible product he made and continues to expand upon at no cost to anyone, thus preventing the thread from talking about actually interesting stuff and showing off cool construction projects
:qqsay:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I don't like the design decisions the game's creator made and rather than simply moving on with my life I'm going to post every day about how he hates fun and me personally and criticize the incredible product he made and continues to expand upon at no cost to anyone, thus preventing the thread from talking about actually interesting stuff and showing off cool construction projects
:qqsay:
You forgot the wildly inaccurate metaphor about how this is like buying a side of beef that turns into a dog or something.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Ehh, the only things that bother me is how so much content is not scaled for solo play. How hard could it possibly be to cut 1/3rd of boss/event HP when you're playing offline?

It's really hard to have enough damage output alone to take on some of the hardmode bosses in the alloted time limit, and getting to the actual rewarding waves of events requires tons of planning, and insane setup to even hope to get that far in time.

Arenas shouldn't be mandatory, they're ugly and mar up an otherwise fine world.

And hell, before the typical "git gud" comments start coming, turn my mentality the other way around and let's scale UP mob/boss HP depending on how many players are in the general vicinity. Because a lot of this game's content is not hard in the slightest when you have 3+ people raining hellfire down on them.

Boss damage is totally fine, potion cooldown is tolerable but could stand for melee-centric builds to get small reduction in cooldown since their setup leads them to take the most hits, but it's really goddamn insulting to slog through a boss, dodging projectiles left right up and down, then the sun rises with the boss at like 1500 HP left and you don't even get a refund on your summoning item.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 3, 2014

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Boss HP is completely fine. Event boss HP should be reduced if you're playing solo. The game gives you plenty of opportunities to not only itemize to each particular boss, but also to strategically place platforms, walls, traps, campfires, heart lanterns, star and heart statues. Taking the time to perform the preparation is half of the fun/challenge, honestly.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that needs to be changed for solo is the points required to get to the last wave of the frost moon. Pumpkin moon maxes out at wave 15 with the required score for wave 14 being 675 points, and Mourning Woods and Pumpkings give 75/150 points respectively which makes it more than doable solo. Frost moon needs to get to wave 20 at the same point scaling as the Pumpkin Moon and you need to score 2000 points to pass wave 19, while the tree/Santa/Ice queen only give 40/80/120 points. You also get to factor in Ice Queens being skittish off-screen about a third of the time.

Basically the same setup that got me the pumpkin moon trophies barely gets me past wave 14 in the frost moon. I've only seen it done solo on youtube with some ultra focused meat grinder arena that has you with a Tsunami and holy arrows as a centerpiece boss blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Matrim posted:

Boss HP is completely fine. Event boss HP should be reduced if you're playing solo. The game gives you plenty of opportunities to not only itemize to each particular boss, but also to strategically place platforms, walls, traps, campfires, heart lanterns, star and heart statues. Taking the time to perform the preparation is half of the fun/challenge, honestly.

I don't know, when "All I need is planning. They are completely reasonably and not a slog at all" means "All I need is to customize a chunk of the world to give you passive healing, free damage to the boss, and assorted other bonuses with no relevance on my actual gameplay skill (that is still totally better that your)", the sentiment rings a bit hollow.

Even if that's likely not what you actually mean, it's how that sort of opinion comes across to us silly newbies wondering what the future holds. Oh, I shouldn't spam potions like a bad when I make it to hard mode, I should be skillful and smart and use...
-automatic passive healing.
-Automatic passive debuff reduction.
-Automatic free damage to the enemies.
-Healthkit dispensers.
-Mana pickup dispensers.
All these automatic things with no relevance to personal bossfight skill means I am good and skillful at boss fight compared to those people who want to chug potions and should just cheat themselves whatever knives like manchildren because their way is not your way.

And this sort of thing seems to be mentioned enough like it is expected of you, to do your damnedest to rig the fight but it's okay and better than being able to spam potions because... Uh... Well it looks pretty? Passive buffs and free damage set up ahead of time instead of used mid fight do not count? I dunno.

Alternatively, backpedal and say "Nah you can do it just fine solo without any of that just don't be bad. The end."

I think you totally should be able to go hog wild with whatever crazy prepared setup you want, you took the time to collect and build all that stuff after all. I just think using something like that as an example of "Oh, Boss HP is fine all it takes is some preparation" is really missing the point when other people say how much of a slog a fight can be trying to treat it like a fight, and not a looney toons short where Bugs Bunny has set up a bunch of heart statues to gently caress with Elmer Fudd.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread