Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evenworse username posted:

Given that he seems to be able to accelerate more or less instantly I just assume he stops for a split second, grabs the person, and starts up again.

Overall though I think worrying about the physics of this show is just going to give you a headache and you should just enjoy the goes fast.

Even in the comics, all the way back to the 1950's, the Flash's powers were essentially magic. They've dressed it up a bit from time to time but it essentially comes down to magic. Effects of speed seem to turn themselves on and off as required by plot. You just have to go, "Okay, is it working kind of consistently for this episode/issue? Then it's good enough."

And we haven't even brought up the vibrating yet. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That Justice League Unlimited scene would have been amazing if they'd actually had the guts to kill off Wally and have him stay killed, instead of just instantly undoing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

That Justice League Unlimited scene would have been amazing if they'd actually had the guts to kill off Wally and have him stay killed, instead of just instantly undoing it.

Or at the very least have him drop out of the Speed Force the following season to save the day.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think they knew they had another season at that point.

Which is all the more reason to go for broke with Flash's heroic sacrifice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I don't think they knew they had another season at that point.

Which is all the more reason to go for broke with Flash's heroic sacrifice.

They wern't 100% but it was looking pretty likely.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

I apologize for the derail but I wanted to share my experience yesterday meeting John Wesley Shipp at the Rhode Island Comic-Con yesterday. He was a super nice guy, and genuinely seemed to enjoy playing the Flash. They had joked with me that the comic I had signed was an introduction of Wally as the Flash and not Barry, but it was a cool experience nonetheless.

Big fan of the show so far, I thought the train wreck sequence in the last episode was the best superhero sequence I've seen on TV in quite some time. The show is turning me into a Flash fan!

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So doesn't he eventually reach almost the speed of light?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fragmented posted:

He travels through time; I'd say he goes past it by quite a margin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Light is low level speed for the Flash.

There's like 4 levels above it he reaches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Light is low level speed for the Flash.

There's like 4 levels above it he reaches.

He went plaid once, but nobody likes to talk about it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Drifter posted:

He went plaid once, but nobody likes to talk about it.

That's ludicrous!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Okay, just watched all 4 episodes and The Flash rocks. Arrow is decent enough to have on in the background while I'm doing something else, but Flash is a legit good tv program.

Also in Flash comic talk, usually he can't go at the speed of light because that's when he and other speedsters will get drawn into the Speed Force. Occasionally though that will go flying out the window for whatever reason and he'll run even faster. I believe one time he raced across from one side of the galaxy or universe to the other and he beat his opponent who was teleporting to travel the distance basically instantly

This might have changed in the last few years as I haven't read any Flash comics since Barry Allen came back (comic Barry Allen is boring as heck).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He did do that once but that was slightly before they invented speed force and was combining his powers with New God technology.

Superman used to have a stated speed of 10000x the speed of light, and if he wanted to see something that happened 50 years ago, would just fly 50 light years out, then look back at earth with telescopic vision.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

greatn posted:

Superman used to have a stated speed of 10000x the speed of light, and if he wanted to see something that happened 50 years ago, would just fly 50 light years out, then look back at earth with telescopic vision.

That's so dumb. :cripes:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nutranurse posted:

That's so dumb. :cripes:

That's Hammertime physics, man.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've also hated stories where Superman is just as fast as the Flash. Superman should be more jack-of-all-trades instead of THE MOST POWERFUL GUY AT EVERYTHING EVER that some writers try to push.

Smallville got a lot wrong, but the idea that even an adolescent Flash could easily outpace Superman is one of my favorite moments.

Also, I've finally started to read Mark Waid's run on the flash and it holds up surprisingly well. Its kinda goofy in that great superheroey way, but there's a definite connection between how enthusiastic Wally is to the tv show's version.

I've also started to read Starman, and had no idea the mist shows up in that too. Good times.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've also hated stories where Superman is just as fast as the Flash. Superman should be more jack-of-all-trades instead of THE MOST POWERFUL GUY AT EVERYTHING EVER that some writers try to push.

Smallville got a lot wrong, but the idea that even an adolescent Flash could easily outpace Superman is one of my favorite moments.

There's a moment in one of the comics where Superman is running alongside Flash and they have a conversation that goes something like this:

Flash: "You can't stop me."
Superman: "I've raced you before, Barry. I even won some of those races."
Flash: "Those races were for charity, Clark."

And then Flash pours on the speed and is just gone. One of my favorite Flash panels.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do you think Superman can fly faster than he can run, or does he just have one maximum moving forward speed under all modes of transport?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Superman has a ground speed of 15000, a fly speed of 25000, a swim speed of 20000, and a dig speed of 7500.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Superman has a ground speed of 15000, a fly speed of 25000, a swim speed of 20000, and a dig speed of 7500.

That's pretty fast.

I bet Superman could fly faster than Flash could run.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Drifter posted:

That's pretty fast.

I bet Superman could fly faster than Flash could run.

Flash can run faster than instant teleporting. Superman has a lot of power, but Flash's speed is in another category completely.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Since Flash has the lightning bolt theme going, I think it's only fair to compare him to terrible 90's Electric Superman.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

That would there would be no "Flash And Substance" which is probably one of the best JLU episodes.

Polaron posted:

There's a moment in one of the comics where Superman is running alongside Flash and they have a conversation that goes something like this:

Flash: "You can't stop me."
Superman: "I've raced you before, Barry. I even won some of those races."
Flash: "Those races were for charity, Clark."

And then Flash pours on the speed and is just gone. One of my favorite Flash panels.
I do like how the first Flash vs Superman race was written by literally a 15 year old. The whole concept of that story seems like something a kid would write up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking as someone who owns all the silver age Flash/Superman races, I have to point out that in the third and decisive match, Flash won.

The thing with Superman in the 50's and 60's is that his powers weren't that laundry list of abilities, it was that he was "super". He had super power. So he was strong enough to lift anything he needed to, fast enough to outrace anything he needed to, tough enough to take any blow he needed to. Unless of course, kryptonite showed up in which case he was no longer super. It wasn't until the late sixties until they started reigning that in. But being "super" meant being unbeatable at that so the first two Flash/Superman races ended with a tie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

team overhead smash posted:

I believe one time he raced across from one side of the galaxy or universe to the other and he beat his opponent who was teleporting to travel the distance basically instantly

greatn posted:

He did do that once but that was slightly before they invented speed force and was combining his powers with New God technology.

No it was definitely after. It was during a year long run where Grant Morrison filled in for Waid, and included the arc where he first got a suit made out of Speed Force energy, and another arc with "the Black Flash" who was basically the grim reaper for super speedsters. Both of those were obviously Speed Force-centric stories. The specific storyline team overhead smash was referencing is called "The Human Race" and I think it is collected in its own trade.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

No it was definitely after. It was during a year long run where Grant Morrison filled in for Waid, and included the arc where he first got a suit made out of Speed Force energy, and another arc with "the Black Flash" who was basically the grim reaper for super speedsters. Both of those were obviously Speed Force-centric stories. The specific storyline team overhead smash was referencing is called "The Human Race" and I think it is collected in its own trade.

The one I'm thinking of was in Justice League I think. He used some kind of new God cosmic treadmill.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I just finished catching up with the show and the thread. Having never read (or really been familiar with) The Flash, the show stands on its own and is great. But having my "The Goon Companion Guide to Watching The Flash", certainly makes it that much more enjoyable. You all have introduced me to more Flash lore than any amount of self-research would've done and made it more fun to boot.

Thank you for the great thread so far, and keep those puns coming in fast.

Also, Snart.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's not a problem, we're cool like that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wish i'd been around for the Young Justice thread.

Finally getting around to watching it now. It's drat good. Flash/Kid Flash/Impulse are the best.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fragmented posted:

Well there's this page:

Despite what the narration says, some back-of-the-envelope math suggests that he basically would have moved at 10^12 times the speed of light, give or take a few orders of magnitude :v:. Comic writers are bad at maths.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gonna need to see that envelope Chief, make sure it checks out.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Gonna need to see that envelope Chief, make sure it checks out.

If you say he took two every trip (less than quoted) thats 250000 trips x 70 miles (35 miles each way) = 17500000 miles in .00000000001 seconds = 175 000 000 000 000 000 m/s. The speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s

I hope I mathed that correctly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wezlar posted:

If you say he took two every trip (less than quoted) thats 250000 trips x 70 miles (35 miles each way) = 17500000 miles in .00000000001 seconds = 175 000 000 000 000 000 m/s. The speed of light is 299 792 458 m/s

I hope I mathed that correctly.

Pretty much, except the speed of light is given in metres/second, not miles/second. So you'd need to convert miles into metres first, which adds yet more zeroes to that already silly number.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obviously he had a tailwind from the nuclear explosion. :flashfact:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously he had a tailwind from the nuclear explosion. :flashfact:

Wind dosen't exist at that speed.

Read my favorite what if from xkcd:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Writing comic books was probably a lot easier before everyone knew about physics.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

Writing comic books was probably a lot easier before everyone knew about physics.

Yeah, you apply physics, you get Gwen Stacy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For example:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My one true fear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And to think, gravity's the only thing keeping the oceans from turning into Orange Crush!

(Also, only people require gravity to stay on Earth. Apparently every single other thing is just fine without it.)

• Locked thread