Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

99% of the summer what books are you reading I don't remember that. Harry turned put just fine he managed to have a stable relationship with his high school sweetheart long enough to get married and have kids. In fact throughout the books he seemed quite well adjusted he had friends several teachers and peers thought highly of him despite having several life threatening encounters. It's safe to say Harry potter turned put ok perhaps for the better by the humbling experience of being raised by the dursleys. Maybe his parents would have spoiled him rotten what with all that gold and he would have been just like Malfoy.

Like Harry I think the youth of today need to stop blaming their parents and whining about how they were mistreated, unloved, or didnt get that pony. It's best to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and decide that your future is on your own shoulders. Harry did it so can you.

Yes he turns out ok and it's literally the most unrealistic thing that happens in a series where a tree eats a flying broom.

If y'all want I can detail how similar my rearing was with Harry's and then regale you with tales of how I was incapable of talking with strangers until I was 14.

And thanks for getting super pedantic about how much time he spends in a closet. Guess how much loving time a 10 year old should spend locked in a closet because it's way less than you loving thing you giant mother loving piece of human garbage how are you not loving banned for the poo poo you're pulling here because that's loving twice now you've made break down crying you pile of poo poo you should be ashamed of yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013

99% of the summer what books are you reading I don't remember that. Harry turned put just fine he managed to have a stable relationship with his high school sweetheart long enough to get married and have kids. In fact throughout the books he seemed quite well adjusted he had friends several teachers and peers thought highly of him despite having several life threatening encounters. It's safe to say Harry potter turned put ok perhaps for the better by the humbling experience of being raised by the dursleys. Maybe his parents would have spoiled him rotten what with all that gold and he would have been just like Malfoy.

Like Harry I think the youth of today need to stop blaming their parents and whining about how they were mistreated, unloved, or didnt get that pony. It's best to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and decide that your future is on your own shoulders. Harry did it so can you.

You cannot be serious. Humbling? This was straight out abuse. There's nothing beneficial that comes out of being locked in a closet, fed infrequently, trapped in a room, and generally treated like you either don't exist or have leprosy. I'd say if Harry learned anything from the Dursleys, it's that some Muggles have an irrational fear/hatred of magic, the same way some wizards have issues about Muggles.

Not to mention you're basically making GBS threads on the life experience of TheModernAmerican by going "what's that? you had a bad childhood? well stop whining, the world owes you nothing". Like seriously, that's a super lovely thing to do. :/

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

because that's loving twice now you've made break down crying you pile of poo poo you should be ashamed of yourself.

I wish non-plat users could report, because I seriously don't know why that douchebag hasn't been probated or banned for blatantly baiting an abuse victim yet.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

thexerox123 posted:

I wish non-plat users could report, because I seriously don't know why that douchebag hasn't been probated or banned for blatantly baiting an abuse victim yet.

Maybe its because hes not doing anything wrong? Just because someones having a loving meltdown over a dissenting opinion doesnt mean something needs to be done.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cotato posted:

Maybe its because hes not doing anything wrong? Just because someones having a loving meltdown over a dissenting opinion doesnt mean something needs to be done.

"A dissenting opinion" of defending child abuse? You can't be serious here.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Humerus posted:

"A dissenting opinion" of defending child abuse? You can't be serious here.

He wasnt defending child abuse. Hope this helps.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cotato posted:

He wasnt defending child abuse. Hope this helps.

I added some emphasis for you. Hope this helps.

Edit: Whatever dude this is hardly the place for this but he literally said Harry is for the better after being abused, but yeah totally, that's cool.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 1, 2014

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Humerus posted:

I added some emphasis for you. Hope this helps.

Thats not defending child abuse. There are plenty of people that have been incredibly abused and go on to live perfectly normal lives. They got the help they needed and moved on. They dont sit around all of their lives internalizing all media they consume and applying it to the terrible things that happened to them. You dont get over problems like that. lovely things happen to everyone. You either deal with it or you sit on the internet and cry over posts about harry potter.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cotato posted:

Thats not defending child abuse. There are plenty of people that have been incredibly abused and go on to live perfectly normal lives. They got the help they needed and moved on. They dont sit around all of their lives internalizing all media they consume and applying it to the terrible things that happened to them. You dont get over problems like that. lovely things happen to everyone. You either deal with it or you sit on the internet and cry over posts about harry potter.

How about

quote:

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Christ almighty there are some lovely goons.

If you really think I was crying over Harry Potter, then I really don't expect you to understand anything else I've said.

Although I really dig your implication that I haven't gone on to live my life to the best of my ability because I made on post about it on a lovely internet forum. No, you're right, I haven't moved on from in the slightest and I've never left my room ever once.

e: vvv that's really all I was saying, adding in context from my own life, and the fact that the scenes at Privet Drive are almost entirely unnecessary to the story.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 1, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Guys, I'm gonna come out with what appears to be a surprisingly controversial opinion: child abuse is Bad, and it was wrong for the Dursleys to treat Harry that way.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Good grief. If the dude had a dissenting opinion, I'd make a face and move on, but as others have proven, this is literally Otto being a shithead.

But since I have the feeling some people in the thread are not going to get it, maybe we should move onto a different topic. Like maybe if any new info has come out about the Fantastic Beasts movie? (I really would love to have a POC lead)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Unfortunately mod stuff is kinda up in the air a bit this weekend due to the Halloween Shuffle but yeah, lemme ask please everyone knock off the child abuse discussion at least for now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kobanya posted:

But since I have the feeling some people in the thread are not going to get it, maybe we should move onto a different topic. Like maybe if any new info has come out about the Fantastic Beasts movie? (I really would love to have a POC lead)

I agree, someone like Richard Ayoade would make an amazing Newt Scamander and he definitely has the acting chops to be an action movie star. But let's not kid ourselves here, it will be loving Jude Law and we all know it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hedrigall posted:

I agree, someone like Richard Ayoade would make an amazing Newt Scamander and he definitely has the acting chops to be an action movie star. But let's not kid ourselves here, it will be loving Jude Law and we all know it.

If Jude Law is a Hufflepuff :swoon:

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'd like to see Matt Smith in the roll, even if that if a super nerdy pick. For some reason I'm picturing Newt Scamander as a tall, gangly, and awkward British guy. Matt Smith is the epitome of that in my head.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I don't really have a preference on an actor (especially since I'm poo poo with names OTL), but as long as it's not another white guy, I'd be happy. I imagine Newt as a tall, gangly guy as well, complete with curly hair. But white? Nahhhhh son.

Although I am still curious how they're going to pull a 1hr+ movie out of that book. And wasn't there an announcement saying it was going to be three movies? Granted, you could probably spend a good amount of time on Newt's childhood and his life before he became a Magizoologist, but I just hope we're not going to get some anti-environmental, magical creature hating antagonist, or some weirdo poacher like the dude from Rescuers Down Under. :/

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Rock as Newt Scamander!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What about Shaun Parkes? His half-geeky half-trying-to-be-a-badass thing that he did in the Mummy Returns (oh god, I can't believe I'm using that movie as a good example of anything...) could work well for the character.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I had to Google Shaun Parkes, but hot drat, I would be sold on that. Or the hot Medjai guy, Oded Fair (totally had to Google him too).

I suppose I could even be mollified as long as it wasn't a super popular choice like Benedict, any of the Chris Collective (Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt), or people of that line. I had a decent idea of a white actor who could use more time in the spotlight, but of course I've forgotten it now. :/

I do hope we get to see more unicorns though, or maybe even the creatures Snitches are based off of. :allears:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ashez2ashes posted:

I'd like to see Matt Smith in the roll, even if that if a super nerdy pick. For some reason I'm picturing Newt Scamander as a tall, gangly, and awkward British guy. Matt Smith is the epitome of that in my head.

I suppose if Doctor Who is your only exposure to British media, this might seem like a good idea.

It should be Alexander Siddig though.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 3, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

I suppose if Doctor Who is your only exposure to British media, this might seem like a good idea.

It should be Alexander Siddig though.

He's way too old. Newt is supposed to be in his twenties for at least the first film (the time frame has been stated already by the press). Alexander Siddig circa Deep Space 9 cold have worked but he's past the age range now.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Daniel Radcliffe would be pretty good for Newt if he hadn't played Harry Potter.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Paragon8 posted:

Daniel Radcliffe would be pretty good for Newt if he hadn't played Harry Potter.

The thing about that is Daniel Radcliffe can't act.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Horns was pretty good and The F Word was enjoyable for what it was.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I saw him doing Equus on stage. He can act.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

He grew enough in talent over the Harry Potter movies that he showed he was willing to improve. He definitely wasn't the worst actor in the movies (Emma Watson was the worst of the trio. She acted with her eyebrows).

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Trin Tragula posted:

I saw him doing Equus on stage. He can act.

Maybe it was the directing in all the HP movies I guess :shrug: That would explain way the acting from the golden trio always left me cold.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Maybe it was the directing in all the HP movies I guess :shrug: That would explain way the acting from the golden trio always left me cold.

I don't know whether my opinion is particularly popular, but I thought that the movies were pretty lovely in general, with the exception of Azkaban.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't know whether my opinion is particularly popular, but I thought that the movies were pretty lovely in general, with the exception of Azkaban.

I thought the first one was alright as well.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That and he was, what, ten when he started? We basically saw him (and the others, who had no real acting experience before the films) learn to act over the years so it makes sense that they would have some bum moments.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The movies themselves weren't so bad but they were by no means great or classic. I doubt they'll stand as the definitive adaptation of the series. Azkaban was beautifully shot but I wasn't a big fan of all of Cuaron's interpretations of the world or the characters.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sato posted:

The movies themselves weren't so bad but they were by no means great or classic. I doubt they'll stand as the definitive adaptation of the series. Azkaban was beautifully shot but I wasn't a big fan of all of Cuaron's interpretations of the world or the characters.

Azkaban gets Harry's hair right, everything else is unimportant. :colbert:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

Azkaban gets Harry's hair right, everything else is unimportant. :colbert:

Not his eyes, though, which were an actual drat plot point unlike the hair.

Yeah, I know Daniel Radcliffe couldn't wear contacts, but still. :colbert:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I finally got around to reading the books, and I just finished the series last night. I'd seen one or two of the movies, but I legitimately didn't know how the ending was going to go (other than the obvious spoiler that was all over the internet).

I'm not going to spoil this, since the thread title itself says how long this book has been out. Someone let me know if I should.

Can someone explain to me how Harry beat Voldemort at the very end? He claimed that the Elder Wand rejected Voldemort and wasn't at full operational capacity, but I didn't follow the logic of why. He argued that, since Dumbledore planned it, Snape's killing him didn't really "count", and that Draco was the true master of the wand. Was this because Draco disarmed him at the last moment before he died? Would this be enough to make Harry's spell powerful enough to withstand the allegedly most powerful wizard in the world? Or was it all a misdirection to make Voldy doubt himself at the last, crucial moment?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Right, Draco disarmed Dumbledore before Snape killed him and therefore Draco, unknowingly, became the master of the Elder Wand. When Harry snatched Draco's wand when they escaped Malfoy Manor he became the master of every wand Draco was in control of, including the Elder Wand. It's not that the Elder Wand rejected Voldemort, he was never its master.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

syphon posted:

I finally got around to reading the books, and I just finished the series last night. I'd seen one or two of the movies, but I legitimately didn't know how the ending was going to go (other than the obvious spoiler that was all over the internet).

I'm not going to spoil this, since the thread title itself says how long this book has been out. Someone let me know if I should.

Can someone explain to me how Harry beat Voldemort at the very end? He claimed that the Elder Wand rejected Voldemort and wasn't at full operational capacity, but I didn't follow the logic of why. He argued that, since Dumbledore planned it, Snape's killing him didn't really "count", and that Draco was the true master of the wand. Was this because Draco disarmed him at the last moment before he died? Would this be enough to make Harry's spell powerful enough to withstand the allegedly most powerful wizard in the world? Or was it all a misdirection to make Voldy doubt himself at the last, crucial moment?

Yeah, Malfoy disarmed him in the tower, which made him the master of the Wand. Harry swiped Malfoy's wand at his place, so therefore he was master of the Wand. It was less him playing Voldemort psychologically and more Voldemort not knowing the entire story.

E: ^What he said.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Then why don't wands switch owners every time two people duel? (or practice dueling, like they did at school)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

syphon posted:

Then why don't wands switch owners every time two people duel? (or practice dueling, like they did at school)

Retconium Shittyosa.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

syphon posted:

Best explanation I can give is the Elder Wand is so badass it achieved a level of sentience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why do people say "I'm not going to spoil this" when they mean "I'm not going to put this in spoiler tags"? It has literally the opposite meaning.

• Locked thread