Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is PC going to get the good version this time or the lower res stuff from PS3 with a few post-processing effects slapped on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
gently caress yesssss

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Goddamn that's good news

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Pureauthor posted:

Oi, you blighters, did this get posted earlier and I missed it somehow?

Because DW8 Empires is coming to PC.

Release date January 27.

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/dynasty-warriors-8-empires-release-date-pc-version-announced

Awesome! I'm so glad they're continuing to support PC. I've not played any of the Empires games before - any idea if it will use existing DW8 save data/DLC for anything?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ghost-Slug posted:

Awesome! I'm so glad they're continuing to support PC. I've not played any of the Empires games before - any idea if it will use existing DW8 save data/DLC for anything?

If it's anything like previous Empires games, you'll have to start over from scratch.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SW4 partner AI can be derpy and irritating sometimes. Ordered the partner to go catch up with an npc that was about to die. I watched him run into a wall and run in place. The allied npc died, and then the partner changes priority to attack an enemy officer right by where the dude died, and THAT'S when he paths properly around the wall. Sheesh.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

5er posted:

SW4 partner AI can be derpy and irritating sometimes. Ordered the partner to go catch up with an npc that was about to die. I watched him run into a wall and run in place. The allied npc died, and then the partner changes priority to attack an enemy officer right by where the dude died, and THAT'S when he paths properly around the wall. Sheesh.

For best results, go offscreen and move some distance away when you give your partner orders. They become a lot more competent when off camera.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brony Hunter posted:

For best results, go offscreen and move some distance away when you give your partner orders. They become a lot more competent when off camera.

I was nearly fully across the map and I went to go visit my dumb buddy when I saw him stuck in place for two minutes after issuing the order.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

5er posted:

I was nearly fully across the map and I went to go visit my dumb buddy when I saw him stuck in place for two minutes after issuing the order.

Was he on a horse? I've noticed the AI is too stupid to dismount from horses if they need to go indoors.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Do we know yet if DW8 Empires will have any co-op functionality? I just got a PS4 today and was curious.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

Was he on a horse? I've noticed the AI is too stupid to dismount from horses if they need to go indoors.

This is known, sadly enough. I make it a point to dismount from horses right away on map starts. Largely it's because if you leave your alternate on a horse, it's a guarantee that when you get into a really tough officer fight, they'll be there ruining your combos by ripping around like a wild-rear end and knocking them clear and away from your combo chains.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Lunethex posted:

Do we know yet if DW8 Empires will have any co-op functionality? I just got a PS4 today and was curious.

It does, it even has a F2P version that's just for this.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Anyone know of a good guide for getting the unique weapons in SW4? The ones I'm finding are either in japanese or use the japanese names for the missions and I don't understand them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent posted:

Anyone know of a good guide for getting the unique weapons in SW4? The ones I'm finding are either in japanese or use the japanese names for the missions and I don't understand them.

I assume you're referring to this one: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/730732-samurai-warriors-4/faqs/69237

In which case while it does have Japanese names for the objectives, it also has a step-by-step guide for each weapon so you don't really need to know the names.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i found an objectives list. no descriptions of how to trigger them, but its a start:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/samurai-warriors-4-a/250668-samurai-warriors-4-objectives-list.html

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pureauthor posted:

Oi, you blighters, did this get posted earlier and I missed it somehow?

Because DW8 Empires is coming to PC.

Release date January 27.

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/dynasty-warriors-8-empires-release-date-pc-version-announced

The world we live in today is amazing. Finally, a place where I can play Japanese games on pc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So as far as I can tell tonight I've done everything in story mode of WO3U. Got all the tails, got all the characters, and beat all the stages, unless some more open up when you raise bonds. I've noticed some of the guides are wrong. You don't need to beat the final battle 9 times to unlock Kyubi, for example, you just need to change to Tamamo in camp and talk to one of the generic soldiers to unlock the battle where you obtain her.

Beating the tail levels seems kinda pointless, you get a trophy for it and every tail gives you an orb, which I guess is a way to get orbs outside of Gauntlet Mode but it doesn't seem worth it honestly. So now I guess I'll raise bonds, grind, and get some Mystic Weapons and try to take on Gauntlet.

Also probably everyone else knew this but I was wondering why people were suggesting Speed is of the Essence so hard for grinding, when the 15 minute time limit is really harsh. Then someone told me you can go to Musou Battlefields and edit it to give it a higher time limit. The messages will still act like you only have 15 minutes, but once you go over, nothing happens. That's going to make things a whole lot easier.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What the heck does Stimulus do in SW4? The description is 'increases stats beyond normal limits when levelling up, and provides a temporary boost.' The temporary boost is obvious enough but what's with the first part? Better stats on levelup?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Did everyone move on from DW8 Complete Edition to Samurai Warriors? If not I'd be down to play/help out on the PS4 version :shobon:

On that note, how do people feel about SW4? Good or better than DW8 gameplay-wise? I couldn't get into SW when I tried the earlier games.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

What the heck does Stimulus do in SW4? The description is 'increases stats beyond normal limits when levelling up, and provides a temporary boost.' The temporary boost is obvious enough but what's with the first part? Better stats on levelup?

Characters normally have a cap on their max stats. Stimulus lets you keep getting stat ups after the cap, effectively letting you make any character an unkillable god if you grind them enough. Too bad that skill is only on Unique weapons, IIRC, meaning that you've already done the hardest thing you'd need to do with that character! Unless you got said weapon in Chronicle, I guess.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Lunethex posted:

Did everyone move on from DW8 Complete Edition to Samurai Warriors? If not I'd be down to play/help out on the PS4 version :shobon:

On that note, how do people feel about SW4? Good or better than DW8 gameplay-wise? I couldn't get into SW when I tried the earlier games.

SW4 has a couple big "quality of life" improvements over DW8XLCE. Mainly, you can do Hyper Attacks by starting combos with triangle, and you can break through officers' guards by using Shadow Dash (hit X during a combo, uses one rage sphere). You also choose two people to send into a battle so you generally won't have to book it across maps to complete all the objectives. It's a quicker game overall and there's no weapon switching / elements. You can also make your own character so that's a huge plus, and Chronicle Mode can suck hours away without you realizing it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nobunaga's Chronicle Mode events own. Just encountered him crossdressing as a dancer purely to troll people for their reactions.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

SW4 seems good based on the little bit of Story Mode I've played. Also surprisingly difficult.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stelas posted:

Nobunaga's Chronicle Mode events own. Just encountered him crossdressing as a dancer purely to troll people for their reactions.

his story mode is just one long troll as well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

his story mode is just one long troll as well

Literally trolling a dude into blowing himself up.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally trolling a dude into blowing himself up.

"I guess he couldn't commit to his betrayal after all." Nobunaga spends half his story mode trolling the gently caress out of Hisahide and it's great. If this is his new characterization he may overtake Masamune and Magoichi as my favorite.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So why do the Mystic Weapons exist when the weapons you get from a Battlefield Bonus give you crazy things like + 80?

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So why do the Mystic Weapons exist when the weapons you get from a Battlefield Bonus give you crazy things like + 80?

Probably as a stopgap/as a consistent result since the Battlefield Bonus likes giving me +20 L1/L2 weapons. Granted, I'm working Gauntlet now on average...

On that note: anyone got advice for getting the Demon Mask from Battle of Nanzhong on the PSVita version (WO3u)? A full massacre run feels like it gets just over 1k due to a lower unit spawn rate, and I'm not sure if there's a safe place to farm enemies (let people stall out on Achilles somehow, maybe, while I farm from a base?)

EDIT: Okay, enemies infinitely spawn in the fort just south of where Zhurong stalls Da Ji, so you can grind to 1500 there in all versions and be fine. Coulda sworn I checked that place, but I dismissed it after it looked like nothing was coming out.

Torokasi fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 2, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Huh, i recruited a female generic named Hana in chronicle mode, she's apparently saburos wife. Got an unique model and everything

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Portable Staplefrog posted:

SW4 seems good based on the little bit of Story Mode I've played. Also surprisingly difficult.

You're joking right? What clan are you playing as?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So I noticed this while playing WO3 the first time, but playing again on Ultimate made me notice it again. I have literally no clue what the logic is behind where the non-DW characters are placed.

For Samurai 1, it's pretty much all guys from Samurai Warriors...except Hideyoshi is also in it. Now, Hideyoshi was in SW1, and he even had a unique character model...but so were Ieyasu and Yoshimoto, and they're in Samurai 2. And Tadakatsu and Ina are in Samurai 2 as well, even though they became playable in SWXL, where Hideyoshi also became playable. On top of that, Goemon was from SW1, but he's in Samurai 3!

Samurai 2 also seems to pretty much be characters introduced in SW2, and SWXL...except for Hideyoshi who's in Samurai 1, and Musashi who's in Samurai 3. It also has Toshiie and Motochika, from SW2XL...but Gracia, Katsuie, and Kojiro are in SW2XL and they're in Samurai 3 with Musashi.

Other 1 contains the DW characters who were classified as Other in the DW games. It also has Da Ji and Orochi, who were introduced in WO1. Then there's Fu Xi, Nuwa, Taigong, Wukong, Yoshitsune, and Kiyomori. All of them were introduced in WO2 (well okay, technically Fu Xi and Nuwa were in DW3 but Koei likes to pretend that didn't happen apparently, since they don't even get their DW3 costumes in the game while every other DW character does).

But Himiko was also introduced in WO2 and she's in Other 2, as is Orochi X...and it can't even be because they're villains, because Wukong and Kiyomori are Other 1.

There has to be some logic behind the placements but hell if I can figure out what.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Could it be updated/new movesets?

Like Goemon's SW1 version is different from his SW3 version?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Man, the Chronicles mode in SW4 is sucking my life away.

But does anyone know how you're supposed to get a traveling merchant to appear? I just need to buy one piece of armor from him to progress my bandit life, and I didn't see one at all this morning in about three hours of play. I swear, I saw them all the time before I needed them.

Davincie posted:

i don't know if it helps, but you can do that life goal while not actually a bandit, just go back to it when you get enough and it auto completes

Oh wow, I had no idea that the life goals worked like that, thanks. I'll switch to something else in the meantime and just remember to buy armor next time!

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 2, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't know if it helps, but you can do that life goal while not actually a bandit, just go back to it when you get enough and it auto completes

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

-Dethstryk- posted:

But does anyone know how you're supposed to get a traveling merchant to appear? I just need to buy one piece of armor from him to progress my bandit life, and I didn't see one at all this morning in about three hours of play. I swear, I saw them all the time before I needed them.

If you're at 9/10, try swapping your primary character to another CAW of the opposite gender. The travelling merchant will re-appear, and purchases for the other gender still count.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just picked up SW4 for the ps4, and I'm not sure if Hyrule Warriors just spoiled me or not but the combat feels way clunkier, or maybe it's just how Oda and No play (only played one map so far) Looks great graphically at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just picked up SW4 for the ps4, and I'm not sure if Hyrule Warriors just spoiled me or not but the combat feels way clunkier, or maybe it's just how Oda and No play (only played one map so far) Looks great graphically at least.
That's weird, I thought Hyrule was a disaster control-wise compared to any other Musou game, especially SW4, which I think is the smoothest so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some other characters play better but, yeah, Hyrule Warriors really has kinda made it hard to go back to the others. That said it's still really good.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's weird, I thought Hyrule was a disaster control-wise compared to any other Musou game, especially SW4, which I think is the smoothest so far.

You seriously have a bum copy of Hyrule Warriors or something, man.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 3, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only thing I don't like about Hyrule Warriors' control scheme is that sometimes it can be hard to get the Z targeting to center on who you want it to. That said, the Z targeting is so insanely useful that for about a day after I started playing WO3U I kept trying to do it and getting frustrated that it didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Be cool if they brought the rolling thing from hyrule warriors over to other games