Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Come on. It's got like violins. It's called "The Shape of Punk to Come". I don't know if people are actually playing that kind of music (I can't bear that post-hardcore stuff, as is obvious), but it's not a hardcore milestone. To hardcore it's a curiosity, a footnote.

There's exactly one hardcore record that deserves to be treated with religion, and it looks like this:

No doubt it's pretentious as poo poo. And yes, if you can't stand post-hardcore it probably loses some appeal. I just always find posts that suggest that no true fan of (insert genre) likes an album to be silly. They're the musical equivalent of "fuckin' casual gamers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's got to be a true fans attitude, otherwise anything goes. You can go with that gaming comparison, I'll try another one: all of Refused's acclaim comes from people who don't even know the loving offside rule.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

There's got to be a true fans attitude, otherwise anything goes. You can go with that gaming comparison, I'll try another one: all of Refused's acclaim comes from people who don't even know the loving offside rule.

But why does it matter if "anything goes" (whatever that's supposed to mean)? Good music is good regardless of how well it fits the relatively arbitrary rules of its genre or scene.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Good music is good regardless of how well it fits the relatively arbitrary rules of its genre or scene.

You're not having this conversation about a Rancid album, even if it's just as poo poo. The Shape of Punk to Come is laughable because it's Russell Brand's Revolution. It's bad hardcore stuffed inside a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song. It's offensive to everything it references. It's offensive to Ornette Coleman, it's offensive to Ian Svenonius, it would've made Debord mad. It's not about "breaking the rules", it's about exposing yourselves as laughable, terrible, talentless people, all the while pretending you're all Neo from The Matrix. gently caress that. gently caress that. Those guys are Swedish, they should've read Jante's law over a few times before stitching Derrida on their sleeves.

Eons ago "moving forward from punk" and "taking hardcore further" sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9FcMQpH4k

There's no loving comparison. It's not about politics. It's about being clueless loving dickheads.

If I had to give the slightest of credits, no matter how reluctantly, to Refused, here goes: the dude's record label put out one of the best pop-pun tunes ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRnRtJFxnc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

You're not having this conversation about a Rancid album, even if it's just as poo poo. The Shape of Punk to Come is laughable because it's Russell Brand's Revolution. It's bad hardcore stuffed inside a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song. It's offensive to everything it references. It's offensive to Ornette Coleman, it's offensive to Ian Svenonius, it would've made Debord mad. It's not about "breaking the rules", it's about exposing yourselves as laughable, terrible, talentless people, all the while pretending you're all Neo from The Matrix. gently caress that. gently caress that. Those guys are Swedish, they should've read Jante's law over a few times before stitching Derrida on their sleeves.

Eons ago "moving forward from punk" and "taking hardcore further" sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9FcMQpH4k

There's no loving comparison. It's not about politics. It's about being clueless loving dickheads.

If I had to give the slightest of credits, no matter how reluctantly, to Refused, here goes: the dude's record label put out one of the best pop-pun tunes ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRnRtJFxnc

See, I don't give the slightest poo poo about anything that it's trying to be. Absolutely nothing about its attempts to be revolutionary matter to me. It's got good riffs, good instrumentation, high energy, memorable songs and a good amount of variation between them without sounding like they just want to be a completely different band from song to song. And I think a lot of its acclaim comes from people like me who handwave the pretentiousness of it because those factors offset it, not just the people who think it's mindblowing that a band threw in some brief electronic sections. Beneath all of the posturing about changing the rules of punk was a band who just wrote some really loving good songs. Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent is good too, and doesn't have all the aesthetic annoyances.

Also, none of that answered my question. Why does it matter?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 2, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it matters because refused is loving terrible and deserves no status or notoriety for being anything other than tight pants foolishness

if you don't know enough about punk/hardcore to articulate this obvious fact you shouldn't be prodding someone who clearly knows more about it than you ever will to spoonfeed you

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 2, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
why is it our responsibility to help you see why refused is mall punk trash ? ?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Good music is good regardless of how well it fits the relatively arbitrary rules of its genre or scene.
                                                                            /
                                                                           /
                                                                          /
                                                                         /

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

stay depressed posted:

why is it our responsibility to help you see why refused is mall punk trash ? ?

You haven't come off as anything more than a child saying "what you like is bad what I like is good." And then tried to get out of it saying it's not your responsibility to teach a class on punk or some poo poo. You're acting like a high school snob but you're probably in your thirties.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
sorry :tipshat:

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
you dummies would rather fight about some old album than post new music and i guess that's the point of this thread?

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
your taste in music is poo poo and punk is dead

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I stopped listening to new music in 2004. Focused ended hardcore punk.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I only listen to Joyce Manor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

stay depressed posted:

it matters because refused is loving terrible and deserves no status or notoriety for being anything other than tight pants foolishness

if you don't know enough about punk/hardcore to articulate this obvious fact you shouldn't be prodding someone who clearly knows more about it than you ever will to spoonfeed you

I never asked and I'm not really prodding anybody. I posted news about a punk band in the punk thread. The fact that people fly into a rage at the mere suggestion that Refused is a good band is really strange to me but mostly it's sad and a little funny.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Wayne Static is dead.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

I never asked and I'm not really prodding anybody. I posted news about a punk band in the punk thread. The fact that people fly into a rage at the mere suggestion that Refused is a good band is really strange to me but mostly it's sad and a little funny.

It is indeed very sad but it's the way people are, especially when it comes to music. Refused is good, Snowing is poo poo, Rancid is garbage but i don't have 45 minutes to write an essay about it because that's dumb. Mall trash, ugh. These people are the worst.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The point is that you're actively harming the punk subculture, and Western society in general, by listening to Refused or giving them any kind of a benefit of doubt. And this:

stay depressed posted:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
EDIT: I'll drop it

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 2, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ariza posted:

It is indeed very sad but it's the way people are, especially when it comes to music. Refused is good, Snowing is poo poo, Rancid is garbage but i don't have 45 minutes to write an essay about it because that's dumb. Mall trash, ugh. These people are the worst.

it's not that you don't have time it's that you're unable to put those bands into a broader context worth discussing because you don't know enough to do so :-)

why are you posting in a music discussion forum if you feel that articulating why something may be bad or good in a cultural sense is dumb?

stick to posting garbage music and one sentence opinions about it if that's the maximum you're able to engage with it but don't come at us for actually being able to express why something like refused is embarrassing trash if you can't express why it isn't.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 2, 2014

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I read this thread to find cool new punk music. The high school mentality is just icing on the cake.

If anyone hasn't heard it yet, the new Bruce Lee Band is awesome.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

cf posted:

Wayne Static is dead.

the real issue is that all of you ignored this. a good man has died.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

cf posted:

Wayne Static is dead.

Now that's the sort of punk rock you guys should be talking about.

stay depressed posted:

the real issue is that all of you ignored this. a good man has died.

He was far from a good man, he was an rear end in a top hat.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Just like the political theorists and philosophers (Baudrillard, Foucault, Derrida, Debord and so on) we also managed with a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. A manifestation of an idea to a concrete action. When Quilapayuns in 1972 realized the importance of widening their spectrum of action by dividing the band into 5 different sections to be able to spread their ideas on as many locations and to as many people as possible they had realized the principle of collective massorganization. A division into 5 new directions means in practice 5 new projects that can challenge and fight the boredom and death that sneaks into our everyday life, 5 new ways to make the political manifesto that once was known under the collective spanner of "the Wayne Static Party Program" concrete, 5 new forces that can devour and choke every tendency of the bourgeoisie shackle that keeps us down. So why does Wayne Static have to die to be able to rise from the ashes like the Phoenix???

It is impossible to take part of a revolutionary program when every aspect of existence has to be projected as entertainment and music, a tradition that both in expression and creation has been dead for far too long. We were hoping that we could be the final nail in the coffin of the rotten cadaver that was popular music, but unfortunately the reification was too big for us to succeed with our feeble attempts to detour this boring discourse.

When every expression, no matter how radical it is, can be transformed into a commodity and be bought or sold like cheap soda, how is it then possible that you are going to be able to take "art" seriously?

When every political idea has to become safe and categorized just so that it can be defined by disgusting "journalists" who´s only aim is the selling of issues and the cashing in of paychecks, how can we then show the seriousness of the situation?

When the single purpose of every song written is to accumulate capital for the record companies that will only kill every attempt at spontaneity and creativity, how are we then expected to create?

When every show played just becomes another brick in the wall between people, between "fans" and "stars", when we instead of getting communication and interaction are being forced to become nothing but consumers and producers.

When people are being praised as geniuses and idols just because they play music or write books or something equally boring and "cultural", when the widespread belief that their creation is more important than that people take part in everyday life, what does that say about the rest of us and what does it say about the system that we have?

When we continue to uphold the bourgeoisie myth of self-realization by saying that anyone can make it just as long as they work hard or pick up a guitar, we uphold the dream of good vs. bad jobs (rockstar = good, factory worker = bad) thus we also uphold the class system and the justification of it.

When the self appointed elite talk about culture, the culture that tricks us into believing that there is such a thing as culture, without any thought or consideration of the political or economical system.

When we become just another sub-culture with all the right attributes instead of a real counter-culture, then it is time to die, to revalue the position that we are in. Static-X "broke up" on the 26th of September 1998 in Atlanta, Georgia, and in a last feeble attempt to break the linear timeline that the modern ways of production has forced upon us we played the last show in Harrisonburg, Virginia on the 6th of October 1998. The show was interrupted after 4 songs by the local policeforce who thought that they've had enough. We knew that they were onto us but it was both a chock and a relief that they did not catch us until the last show. Then, after 7 years of trying, we finally managed to create our own timespace within the capitalist powerstructure. The crowd managed to manifest a moment of passionate living when they continued to scream "rather be alive..." to the corrupt and useless preservers of private property.

So what now???

We will continue to, at every attempt, overthrow the class system, burn museums and to strangle the great lie that we call culture.

We will continue with new projects and forces to do everything that is in our power to overthrow the capitalist structure that alienates us from every aspect of life and living, smash the reification that forces us to dress in outdated identities and rules: we will continue to demand revolution here and now and not in some vague future that all reactionary leftist fundamentalists and reformists are talking about.

We want every day and every action to be a manifestation of love, joy, confusion and revolt.

This is the last that we have to say about it, *WE WILL NOT GIVE INTERVIEWS TO STUPID REPORTERS who still haven´t got anything of what we are all about, we will never play together again and we will never try to glorify or celebrate what was.

All that we have to say has been said here of in our music/manifestos/lyrics and if that is not enough you are not likely to get it anyway. *We THEREFORE DEMAND THAT EVERY NEWSPAPER BURN ALL THEIR PHOTOS OF WAYNE STATIC so that we will no longer be tortured with memories of a time gone by and the mythmaking that single-minded and incompetent journalism offers us. Instead we need to look forward. We got everything to win and nothing but our boredom to lose.

Wayne Static is dead - long live Wayne Static

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GOD IS BED posted:

I read this thread to find cool new punk music. The high school mentality is just icing on the cake.

If anyone hasn't heard it yet, the new Bruce Lee Band is awesome.

I will listen to literally anything Jeff Rosenstock is involved with. I'm beyond hype for his solo album this winter.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Boy why would you spend 45 minutes writing an essay about Baudrillard when you could just say that he was French ergo smart and worth adding to your absurd CV.

Did you know that "hihhuli" ("religious fanatic") is the only Finnish word with a geminated /h/? http://tekhc.bandcamp.com/track/hihhulit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like that one band that plays that one song. How about you guys

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Punk is easily the most elitist form of music.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hobbit posted:

It's pretty loving gay.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

Subcultures defined by their "outsider" status tend to have that happen. It's funny.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Hobbit posted:

I dunno I think Metal might be worse.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hobbit posted:

That's a completely daft thing to say. Really not particularly clever.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I will listen to literally anything Jeff Rosenstock is involved with. I'm beyond hype for his solo album this winter.

I agree with this.

Also I think the thing we're missing here is that in the broader context of the subculhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej4Q_wOVW5w

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cf posted:

Wayne Static is loving Dead.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBd37l6K7o

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Ras Het posted:

You're just not punk enough to get how clever it was :colbert:

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Man, they were a great band (to contribute: Refused always bored me, don't know who Mr. Static was).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Miguel posted:

Man, they were a great band (to contribute: Refused always bored me, don't know who Mr. Static was).

Wayne Static was the frontman of nu-metal band Static-X and notable for having the worst hairstyle in human history.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ras Het posted:

You're a very annoying individual and I think you need to become more punk if you want to fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkar6FEulI