Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tremek posted:

My buddy snapped this after he put the coilovers and snows on my Civic, this thing is awesome.

We had one of those when I was a wee child; the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

Hey guys, I am selling my wagon and figured I would post in here!

I have replaced the car so I am very motivated to sell!! Make offers!!!

I bought this car bone stock on June 16th 2011.

Year, Make and Model: 2006 Subaru outback XT limited
Color: obsidian black pearl
Miles: 123k
Transmission: 5eat
Title: clean
Lien: yes
VIN: 4S4BP67C964350330
Seller's email address: (joe@shootjoec.com)
Asking Price: $10,000.00 OBO

I'm too far away and have too many vehicles already, but this thing is a beaut. Can't believe they don't make this here anymore.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
With another kid on the way I'm looking at a wagon and after a bit of research/budget I'm leaning towards a 03-05 Mazda 6 Wagon or a 03-05 Subaru Liberty Wagon (not a GT sadly). I love the looks of both, they'd both be far more economical than my previous rides (Soarer, RX7 enough said..) and I can do basic garage stuff (more with my ex-mechanic father in law looking over my shoulder)

Help me wagon goons, especially if you've owned one or both, which would be the better choice?
And is there anything I should be really wary of?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I've driven an '04 Mazda6 wagon for the last 4.5 years, took it from 75k to 150k miles. The only expensive problem it's had so far was needing the exhaust manifold replaced. Front wheel bearings will also likely need done at some point, which isn't too expensive but getting the lower control arms out of the steering knuckle on mine was a huge pain in the rear end.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
As per request in the Alberta AI thread, here is a photo of my new V60 T5 AWD.

Featuring seamless hepatitis!

I was considering the BMW, but a) the dealers import few of them and none of the diesels, b) it was $12K more, and c) the BMW dealers in Edmonton are utter bell-ends.

I am, however, thrilled with the Volvo. It's just so well made, which is very impressive given that it came as a flat-pack and was assembled using nothing but an Allen key and some dowels.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am, however, thrilled with the Volvo. It's just so well made, which is very impressive given that it came as a flat-pack and was assembled using nothing but an Allen key and some dowels.

1) Haha
2) I love the look of these. One of the best looking new cars IMO.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I go and drool look at the new V60s every couple weeks. Fantastic looking cars.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So the Civic came back a little low...

That's on Progress coilovers, 14" HX wheels and snow tires. I can get two fingers under the front mudflaps, and it definitely scrapes. Do I bring it up? Trim the mudflaps? Remove them? Counsel me, o merry band of esteemed terrible ricers.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
I don't know what the roads are like in winter where you are, but here many sidestreets have 6" ruts of hard ice all season long. I don't think your muffler would last too long in those particular conditions, and neither did my bellypan or midpipes which is why I raised my car back up this year.

Obviously you have to cut off your muffler.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How's the handling of those V60s vs a 3 series or audi? They sure are fantastic looking wagons. Kinda wish they came with a panoramic sunroof though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

So the Civic came back a little low...

That's on Progress coilovers, 14" HX wheels and snow tires. I can get two fingers under the front mudflaps, and it definitely scrapes. Do I bring it up? Trim the mudflaps? Remove them? Counsel me, o merry band of esteemed terrible ricers.

I'd raise it up if the ride is harsh. If you're in an area where you don't have terrible roads or winter, just remove the mud flaps.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

priznat posted:

How's the handling of those V60s vs a 3 series or audi? They sure are fantastic looking wagons. Kinda wish they came with a panoramic sunroof though.
Comparable; I made a spreadsheet during my car shopping ( :spergin: ) and gave both the V60 and 3-series an 80, and the A4 a 90. Jalopnik complained about the body roll in their review but I haven't really noticed any.

If I'm being honest the A4 was probably the best drive of any car I tested, but with Volvo I could get the wagon for the price of the Audi sedan. The Volvo is actually the only wagon I tested; neither of the BMW dealerships had a wagon handy, and I'd rather have the Audi sedan than the bastardized SUV they call the Allroad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Very cool, I definitely will take a V60 out in the next few months, it is almost time to replace my e46 wagon. Trying to find a replacement for it (don't really want another bmw, not a fan of their direction and mess of products) but there sure aren't a lot of viable options!

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Had a Wagon.

(1997 Subaru Outback Limited. RIP EJ25 head gasket)

Bought a Wagon.

(2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. Free extensive hail damage to the hood and fender)

Bought a Wagon hood and fender.

("Came off of a real rally car!" - Craigslist)

Going for that one tone Wagon look.

("Plastidip is man's greatest creation." - Benjamin Franklin)

Now I have a nice Wagon.

(Pre-overspray correction)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Fuelslt1 posted:

Bought a Wagon.

Now I have a nice Wagon.

(Pre-overspray correction)

holy poo poo, that looks sooooooo much better

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How do you really wash a car/anything with plastidip? The surface isn't really smooth and I feel like it would be impossible to clean very well without peeling it off.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Larrymer posted:

How do you really wash a car/anything with plastidip? The surface isn't really smooth and I feel like it would be impossible to clean very well without peeling it off.

I washed it yesterday, one day after I sprayed the dip on. Used a wash mit, car soap, bucket and a hose.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Albino Squirrel posted:

Comparable; I made a spreadsheet during my car shopping ( :spergin: ) and gave both the V60 and 3-series an 80, and the A4 a 90. Jalopnik complained about the body roll in their review but I haven't really noticed any.

If I'm being honest the A4 was probably the best drive of any car I tested, but with Volvo I could get the wagon for the price of the Audi sedan.

Interestingly I now have two people I trust with regards to cars independently call the Audi A6 a bad ride, when compared to the BMW's they were used to. The last one, my boss, drove half way across our, admittedly small, country to look at a fully loaded A6 wagon, which he expected to drive home in. But he elected to drive all the way home again in the beat up van he's been using for the past year since he sold his Mercedes, the feeling of the A6 when driving didn't suit him at all. So his going back to BMW again, which he had before the Mercedes. Perhaps it's the rear wheel drive, or something more subtle, I don't know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

I plastidipped the wheels on my Daytona 675 white... spray simple green on them and hose 'em off, completely clean.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Trimmed 1" of mudflap on all 4 corners on the Civic and it made a world of difference. Our snow doesn't stick around too long so we will see if I need to raise it up or not.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 8, 2014

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

This is probably the worst show on the Motor Trend Channel doing a really stupid comparison but goddamn I want the Oldsmobile :swoon: (with different rims).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7zbRFXI-8E

Tremek I hope you're putting snow tires on the CTS-V too. It's got a limited slip and enough weight over the rear tires :colbert:.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

SFH1989 posted:

This is probably the worst show on the Motor Trend Channel doing a really stupid comparison but goddamn I want the Oldsmobile :swoon: (with different rims).

Tremek I hope you're putting snow tires on the CTS-V too. It's got a limited slip and enough weight over the rear tires :colbert:.

Lets be honest, put a supercharged LS3, 6-speed, air ride, and disc brakes on any old station wagon and i'm all in!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The only sticker on my 855

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

Totally not a question of whether I could drive it - I DD'd my G8 GXP and E55 for years in the winter on winter rubber - this is mostly a question of wear and tear. We got winter weather for the first time this week in Denver and the verdict is the Civic is mountain goat in the snow and ice. Amazingly stable and in a really transparent way. I went and did AWD donuts in a Costco parking lot to find the limits and they are surprisingly high. Very happy with it so far.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm still torn on wether an LSD helps in the snow or just makes things more difficult. The LSD on my BMW just made the rear end a hovercraft on hardpack snow. That said I had shitloads of fun turning with the throttle and didn't die over 4 winters so perhaps its a plus.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

8ender posted:

I'm still torn on wether an LSD helps in the snow or just makes things more difficult. The LSD on my BMW just made the rear end a hovercraft on hardpack snow. That said I had shitloads of fun turning with the throttle and didn't die over 4 winters so perhaps its a plus.

I think it depends a lot on the type of LSD. Clutch-type LSDs (unless they're worn right the hell out) are going to toss your rear end around a lot more than a viscous LSD will. Torsens can be better or worse, it's all in how you treat the fun pedal.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

8ender posted:

I hated my open diff E30 in the snow and promptly got an LSD and have been very happy ever since. It does make it more of a crab walker and can go sideways even easier, though. I've been driving one in the winter for about 7 years now - no issues.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's the one thing I really hate about my FWD wagon with snow tires - I can't loving drift it around without the parking brake and even then the traction control takes the fun away.

Safer and more predictable than anything I've ever driven, no fun at all.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I gotta say, surviving the Las Vegas hellscape summer every year is worth it. I don't have to worry about winter tires or scraping ice off my windshield. By the same token though, on the very rare occasions when it does snow here, the city drat near shuts down. No one knows how to drive in the snow.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
My '97 Outback was taken from me by an inattentive driver after 18 years of hard service and 310k miles - T-boned me and totaled it. This is the replacement. Needs a bunch of work but is coming along.

Here's the other new toy - sold my STi and picked up a clean FXT. Promptly spun a bearing due to a crappy rebuilt shortblock from the PO, now awaiting a forged bottom end so I can turn up the wick a little.

I went from no silver cars to all silver cars, which I was never a huge fan of, but they're growing on me. Like Subarus in general, it's probably Stockholm syndrome, heh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I want to hate those wheels on that Outback, but they look really good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to hate those wheels on that Outback, but they look really good.

If you painted the silver rim on the wheels it would look just right.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
Yeah, I'm not a fan of polished lips either - I bought these to help a buddy parting out a car and they happened to be the narrowest set in my collection so I could drive it home from the shop before rolling fenders. They won't be on the car much longer - but everyone else that sees the cars loves them and seems to think it's a good combo. I'll probably end up refinishing them at some point, but they're LE37T's - the polished lip is what makes them different (inferior) to normal TE37's IMO even though they were the "premium" version.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

sybir posted:

My '97 Outback was taken from me by an inattentive driver after 18 years of hard service and 310k miles - T-boned me and totaled it. This is the replacement. Needs a bunch of work but is coming along.

Here's the other new toy - sold my STi and picked up a clean FXT. Promptly spun a bearing due to a crappy rebuilt shortblock from the PO, now awaiting a forged bottom end so I can turn up the wick a little.

I went from no silver cars to all silver cars, which I was never a huge fan of, but they're growing on me. Like Subarus in general, it's probably Stockholm syndrome, heh.

Got drat both these cars are awesome as poo poo. That sucks about the Outback, sounds like it was a good friend for a long time :(

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
I've been a huge fan of this thread since it kicked off and finally I've joined the 'carry the family, the dog and whatever the hell else you can wedge in the back of this thing' club.

(Scuse the sun glare, it's bright today)

2000 Nissan Stagea RS - apart from the scrapes on the front bar from the PO, it's brilliant. Why it's taken this long to get a wagon is anyone's guess but I love it. The wife loves it. The kid loves it. The dog hasn't been in it yet but will undoubtedly love it over time.
Now to offload the Soarer and not block all the driveway with this thing..

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

Fart Pipe posted:

Got drat both these cars are awesome as poo poo. That sucks about the Outback, sounds like it was a good friend for a long time :(

Appreciate it, and yeah, it was.

More wagons!

The '97 (RIP)

And the '01 H6 that I built for my other half (she's a tolerant sort. And she stole my Volks, lol)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Last decent weather day we're gonna have for a long while, gave the wife's Passat a wash. I do love this car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

sybir posted:

More wagons!

The '97 (RIP)

What lights are those? They look nice.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

sybir posted:

More wagons!

The '97 (RIP)

One of the best looking wagons ever made. It's just so sad they are terrible rustbuckets, 90s subarus barely exist up north anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

blk posted:

What lights are those? They look nice.

Agreed. I dont like a lot of aftermarket lights but those look awesome.

• Locked thread