Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Woffle posted:

RE: Splitting Morrowind, thank you everyone for the input. I'm hesitant to totally switch up our formula (we've had bad luck trying to discuss plot and mechanics as separate things) so I'm thinking of Main Quest, Guild Quests, Assorted Side quests and stuff. Does that make sense?

Regarding expansions, we likely won't include them in the show for the sake of time but I very well may play them on my own.

Please indulge my love of open-source engine remakes and pimp the OpenMW Project. Site isn't cooporating at the moment, but it's a very active project to recreate the engine to work well on modern systems and be more moddable. It's not 100% complete yet, but it works, and it's steadily getting closer to being fully playable.

They've even managed to accidentally fix a bug that existed in the original game and had to go back and change things to replicate the bug.

quote:

One particularly interesting bug left Dagoth Ur dead. In Morrowind you were supposed to defeat seven of Dagoth Ur’s cronies before facing the big bad himself. A script would be running that lowered Dagoth Ur’s health by 50 points every time you killed one of them, making for a total of 350 points of damage to the Sharmat. In vanilla Morrowind, this script was broken so the damage was not done. However, OpenMW didn’t have this bug in the first place, so the script ran as instructed. The result was that Dagoth Ur, who only had 300 health, would already be lying dead in his cavern before you had even reached him. Ironically, the effects of the bug needed to be replicated to make the game function as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's like a modern day Faulkner.

There's nothing about anal sex or farts

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

Gamefaqs tries to keep a G/PG rating in the stuff they allow to be posted.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chris Remo posted:

This kind of thing is so common in games. One of the things you learn as a developer is how you can never predict the range of ways your game will be played, both by people intending to play it in unexpected ways and by people who are just playing however they play and getting totally different results. It's one of the reasons I find it really tiresome when people complain about dollars per hour and how they're not getting enough value, because as a developer you'll see that somebody took four hours to complete your game and somebody else took 20 and they'll both claim this is just "how long the game is."

Chris did you really think Portal 2 was long? I think maybe some parts dragged on a bit more than others but I don't know I thought it was a good length (still kinda short) but not mega short like portal 1 was. I don't know I don't really have a problem with long games if they're fun. Unless if its boring bullshit like something lets say along the lines of final fantasy 13 (the whole game was bullshit) then yeah I can see where length can be an issue. I spent like 80 hours trying to beat something like Dark Souls and thought that was a great length too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Chris did you really think Portal 2 was long? I think maybe some parts dragged on a bit more than others but I don't know I thought it was a good length (still kinda short) but not mega short like portal 1 was.
Personally I felt like Portal 2 was a skosh longer than it needed to be. I was kind of over the wandering around looking for where the hell I can put a goddamned portal you bastards well before it actually finished.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I agree. I'm actually not a fan of Portal 2 in general, and I think the pacing is mainly to blame. Especially since Portal 1 is the poster child for "perfect length".

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I remember when there was a big kerfuffle over Half-Life 2 Ep. 1 being too short at 5-6 hours and how it wasn't good value for $20.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Resident Evil episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. Listen to us spend hours gushing about Lisa Trevor.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/85

Up next is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", then a broadcast of our live episode about "Street Fighter II", and then our winter WRPG, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind". On that last note, we'd like any input you have on sensible ways to divide that up. We're doing it in three parts with a single extrasode at the end, like we did with our Final Fantasy VII episode.

Welp, guess this is what will finally get me to play Morrowind, so that's good.

Have you guys ever thought about doing a bonus extrasode or something where people can give feedback on any game in the catalog of your WOFF podcasts thus far? Presumably, new listeners get into the podcast all the time, listen to older episodes, and may have feedback to provide. Also, people just may get busy and not get a chance to keep up with your release schedule. Back when you were announcing only about one game in advance there were a couple of times that I wanted to play along, but couldn't get to it before the episodes were all recorded.

I don't know how it would be organized, since there's potentially 75 or so topics of discussion, and it certainly sounds like you're not exactly drowning in free time to throw together a new project/special episode, but it seems like something that may be cool.

Also, Nick Breckon's story on Thumbs was loving hilarious, and the Fievels are excellent.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I agree. I'm actually not a fan of Portal 2 in general, and I think the pacing is mainly to blame. Especially since Portal 1 is the poster child for "perfect length".

Agree. So Hard. A game you can comfortably complete in one sitting just feels perfect to me in my current employment situation. Since the start of the year I've started and aborted half-way through Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age and Final Fantasy IX after 10-15 hours. It's mostly my fault for sitting reading the Wikis at work and burning myself out by the time I get home but still :cry:

ninja edit: loved this weeks Idle Thumbs :)

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Have you guys ever thought about doing a bonus extrasode or something where people can give feedback on any game in the catalog of your WOFF podcasts thus far? Presumably, new listeners get into the podcast all the time, listen to older episodes, and may have feedback to provide. Also, people just may get busy and not get a chance to keep up with your release schedule. Back when you were announcing only about one game in advance there were a couple of times that I wanted to play along, but couldn't get to it before the episodes were all recorded.

I don't know how it would be organized, since there's potentially 75 or so topics of discussion, and it certainly sounds like you're not exactly drowning in free time to throw together a new project/special episode, but it seems like something that may be cool.

I'd be really into some kind of WOFF mailbag episode, even if it had to be in place of a regular week's 'cast.

Of course this assumes us schlubs could be relied on to provide enough correspondence to fill the time.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I like that idea too. Maybe we'll try to fit it into the schedule next time we need some extra hours to play a huge RPG. My only hesitation is being called out for things I said off the cuff two years ago but I'm a big man, I bet I can take it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TetsuoTW posted:

Personally I felt like Portal 2 was a skosh longer than it needed to be. I was kind of over the wandering around looking for where the hell I can put a goddamned portal you bastards well before it actually finished.
I'm almost incapable of getting through puzzle-y games and Portal and Portal 2 struck me as something which would probably be infuriating when I got stuck, and I got over Johnathan Coulter or w/e his name is, ten years ago. I'm glad the game exists but I'm pretty sure that it's simply not my style, and that if I played it through without looking up how to beat everything, I'd probably spend 2 or 3 times as long in it as was intended. So I never have. :saddowns:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you get stuck it's totally fine too look it up on youtube. The second game especially has some really challenging parts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Portal 2 has a few infuriating moments where you're in a huge room and you're basically pixel hunting for the one wall you can stick an exit on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jippa posted:

If you get stuck it's totally fine too look it up on youtube. The second game especially has some really challenging parts.
That's my point: I don't want to have to look up solutions in a game that's nominally about figuring out how to do stuff yourself. I know I'm no good at that, and I don't want to essentially play "follow me" along with someone else's guide in a game like that - it seems like at that point, watching a Lets play or similar would be about as effective, and cheaper.

I understand the love for Portal and how some people desperately want everyone to have that same experience of playing and really loving the hell out a game as they themselves did while playing it, but I'm pretty sure it's not for me, and that's ok. It's okay to just allow someone to not play something because *reasons* and NOT try to convince them that their minds needs to be changed. I suck at puzzle games. I don't enjoy puzzle games.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Al! posted:

He said Faulkner, not Joyce

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He said Faulkner, not Joyce

Oh right, wrong disturbingly personal peek into a dead author's sex life.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I took a listen to Hardcore Gaming 101's podcast Game Club 199X and while it's somewhat interesting (the hosts play a random obscure game each month without a guide and share their experiences) there are times when a random 8-bit sound effect will play, often in the middle of a conversation for absolutely no reason and I feel like one of the hosts thought it would be a great idea as some kind of "hey this is a video game podcast!" reminder without thinking it might get a bit annoying. Their break was a bit abrupt too (random 8-bit sound, then someone said something but the break music kicked in)

Also, this is mostly something that I found a bit annoying but is a little too trivial I guess, some of the tangents they went off on in the episode I listened to (which was about Terra Nova) had moments of "I didn't look this up but I think _______" like at one point where someone mentioned the similarities between Terra Nova and Tribes with the energy system being used for jetpacks and other purposes and then brought up how the original Starsiege "might have been on the same engine as Starsiege: Tribes, I dunno" which irked me a bit because it's kind of there in the name, although it may be just me being :spergin: (I also didn't like that they said the FMVs were great compared to other games with FMV and failed to really mention Wing Commander III/IV in comparison besides a passing mention at some supposed mandate on FMV footage in games...again, not something big but it slightly annoyed me).

I'd say it's worth a listen besides those two reasons, the Terra Nova episode has WildWeasel of Doom modding fame as a guest and it was somewhat entertaining. I'm not a huge fan of some of the stuff on HG101 (some of their articles are a bit too opinionated) but they have some cool things and this podcast does have good insights on it among the little problems.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pasco posted:

I'd be really into some kind of WOFF mailbag episode, even if it had to be in place of a regular week's 'cast.

I will second this, I have very important opinions about Final Fantasy 6 and Sword of Mana to share!!!

Maybe I already did submit my important opinions about Sword of Mana, I can't remember. But it's bad in a way that makes it an instructive example, which is pretty unique.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

If any of you regular posters in here are AnnieDawn430 on itunes, get in touch with me or Gary, we got some Rebirth coming your way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That sounds potentially disgusting.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

coyo7e posted:

That sounds potentially disgusting.

Re, not after.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bah why must you ruin all my attempts at fun!? :arghfist::laugh:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally caught up to this week's Thumbs Pod. Goddamn Nick's Sims story had me laughing like an idiot at the gym.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm kind of surprised at all the love IT has been getting lately. Most of the last dozen or so episodes I really haven't liked. In its prime, it was primarily about dissecting games and what made them work or not -- how systems interact, what the designer was going for, aesthetic choices, etc. But it's much less that now and much more of "take 30 minutes to tell a 2 minute story" -- constant hemming and hawing, prevarications, pointless tangents. I feel like Chris used to keep a tighter focus on the pace and content of the show. Now it's a bunch of friends sitting around and bullshitting -- which is fine, if you like that kind of stuff. I'd rather hear insightful analysis of games.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm kind of surprised at all the love IT has been getting lately. Most of the last dozen or so episodes I really haven't liked.
Sometimes a man got to move on, you know? Like how I stopped listening to the Bombcast pretty much entirely. Things change and sometimes you just gotta realize it's time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kind of agree on Idle Thumbs. Something about it just isn't interesting to me anymore. I assumed it was because they're busy enough trying to finish an actual game that they can't mess around with a podcast like they used to.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Especially on the Fivers, I definitely felt like there were a lot of moments where they all have a 2 minute circle of laughs, while I just sat there stonefaced. I guess this is what IT's critics in 2008 felt like.

I'll be a Nick Breckon fan till I die, though. Keep forcing that guy to podcast/assassinate babies.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I think the problem is that they just don't play enough games, and what games they do play, only 1 or 2 people have played so it's hard to get meaningful discussion with the entire group. In that regard it's great that Danielle is on the cast, but she usually has no one to bounce stuff off. Nick Breckon works well because he'll lose his poo poo at the slightest things. I dunno I guess I've just gotten used to them since I've been listening to them for so long. They're still good at enticing me to pick up games I otherwise would not have. Sean's story made me buy Payday 2 during this Halloween sale.

TetsuoTW posted:

Sometimes a man got to move on, you know? Like how I stopped listening to the Bombcast pretty much entirely. Things change and sometimes you just gotta realize it's time.

Definitely true. Sometimes breaks are helpful too. I've picked up and stopped listening to the VGHD precursor KoL podcast so many times.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Too much of the discussion on Thumbs lately has revolved around "here's a well-liked game that I played for an hour, let's spend 30 minutes talking about this one thing I don't like".

It's not that I want IT to become an echo chamber, but I think it has become very predictable. Obviously nothing kills enthusiasm like forcing yourself to play something, but enthusiasm in general has been fairly low as of late. Discussion often suffers from the whole "I only played it for an hour, I don't know how it changes the further you get" syndrome, and then it never gets brought up again.

Which ironically kind of puts them in the same boat as the press-based gaming podcasts, where they just move from game to game to game and thus rarely get very in-depth with any one title. Usually the Thumbs have something worthwhile to say, even if they haven't played a game for very long, but the scope of the game's discussion still tends to be very superficial. Like Sean's take on that Sherlock Holmes game, for instance, which I've heard does a lot of cool, different things to tie each case together the further you get.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't really have a position either way on that particular point, although I enjoyed the past few episodes so whatevs. But OK, let's go with this: so the chat's been too superficial because they don't play games long enough, but forcing yourself to play and talk about a game sounds crap too. What's the/a solution then? Because it seems like you're buggered either way honestly.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Too much of the discussion on Thumbs lately has revolved around "here's a well-liked game that I played for an hour, let's spend 30 minutes talking about this one thing I don't like".

It's not that I want IT to become an echo chamber, but I think it has become very predictable. Obviously nothing kills enthusiasm like forcing yourself to play something, but enthusiasm in general has been fairly low as of late. Discussion often suffers from the whole "I only played it for an hour, I don't know how it changes the further you get" syndrome, and then it never gets brought up again.

Which ironically kind of puts them in the same boat as the press-based gaming podcasts, where they just move from game to game to game and thus rarely get very in-depth with any one title. Usually the Thumbs have something worthwhile to say, even if they haven't played a game for very long, but the scope of the game's discussion still tends to be very superficial. Like Sean's take on that Sherlock Holmes game, for instance, which I've heard does a lot of cool, different things to tie each case together the further you get.

The thing that kills me is when the guys sound bummed out or apologetic about talking about a game they're playing for a few casts in a row.

No! Do that! Get out into those weeds!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
i just want more consistent nick + sean

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't really have a position either way on that particular point, although I enjoyed the past few episodes so whatevs. But OK, let's go with this: so the chat's been too superficial because they don't play games long enough, but forcing yourself to play and talk about a game sounds crap too. What's the/a solution then? Because it seems like you're buggered either way honestly.

I don't know, man. I don't have the solution, they don't have time to play games, it's a bummer.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I will second this, I have very important opinions about Final Fantasy 6 and Sword of Mana to share!!!

Maybe I already did submit my important opinions about Sword of Mana, I can't remember. But it's bad in a way that makes it an instructive example, which is pretty unique.

I like that game so much, I don't believe anyone could call it bad. I haven't listened to the WOFF on it yet, though, so maybe I should do that and go "oh yeah, this game is kind of terrible" like I sort of did with Sacrifice, which is one of my favorite games ever... but which I did beat with a fuckton of cheats.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KoldPT posted:

with Sacrifice, which is one of my favorite games ever... but which I did beat with a fuckton of cheats.

I adored Sacrifice, at least from a mechanics and story perspective but the game play felt too chaotic to really be skilled with it, one of those games that just played so much better when you blew the poo poo up out of all in your path.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable, like the melee combat is awful, but magic is apparently underpowered in the late game, which is weird because it's the exact kind of game where being a godlike DND 3.5 wizard would actually be amazing. Are there mods for that?

Ramagamma posted:

I adored Sacrifice, at least from a mechanics and story perspective but the game play felt too chaotic to really be skilled with it, one of those games that just played so much better when you blew the poo poo up out of all in your path.

Yeah, I loved the idea of leading an army as a general on the ground, supporting my troops with magic, but I think it needed to ease up on the extreme micromanagement. If it was built around Baldur's Gate/Total War style pausing and planning, you might actually be able to understand what the hell is going on, and be able to make an intelligent reaction instead of the clusterfuck the game actually is.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Earl Chestnuts posted:

If it was built around Baldur's Gate/Total War style pausing and planning, you might actually be able to understand what the hell is going on, and be able to make an intelligent reaction instead of the clusterfuck the game actually is.

This would have been an improvement certainly, hell I think the game would probably better for adopting a straight up RTS style, I don't think there is anything gained from having your avatar be part of the action with a third person camera and with a good enough engine surely you could switch between the two on the fly. Sacrifice was a great idea just kinda poorly executed.

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable

The hand-to-hand combat in Morrowind is pretty gash but thats something you can say of all the Elder Scrolls games. It's effective, at least in-game but dear god it's so un-engaging. I'd love an Elder Scrolls world with Dark Souls combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I like the meandering tone of IT. Most of the tangents are usually video game related, interesting, and keeps everything in a conversational. Fiver forever.

• Locked thread