Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lemme check*... yes.

*I didn't check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wait till i tell the girls about this boner of yours

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Remember Jake, everyone? He's dead! Carry this knowledge, and a smile, in your hearts.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Holy poo poo, update!

Is that Yaldabo... Yaldoboa... is that the big sun-faced super-powerful Denizen? Was it killed in the clash of planets or did Dirk just kill him?

Also this update is a reminder that Hussie is great at putting out some awesome-looking set-piece scenes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Update is up!

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Man Homestuck has some really loving cool moments and this sure is one of them. Pretty excited for the next update.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Can't wait for one of the best kids to talk to one of the worst.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dolash posted:

Holy poo poo, update!

Is that Yaldabo... Yaldoboa... is that the big sun-faced super-powerful Denizen? Was it killed in the clash of planets or did Dirk just kill him?

Also this update is a reminder that Hussie is great at putting out some awesome-looking set-piece scenes.

No, that's just a statue of Yaldabaoth. We saw Actual Yaldabaoth before, when Caliborn met him.

My guess is it's probably the entrance to an area called The Lion's Den (I think that's what it was called), it was mentioned by Dirk in a pesterlog to Jake when Jake was contemplating breaking up with him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR FOOT posted:

Can't wait for one of the best kids to talk to one of the worst.

the funny part is i'm not sure which one you intend to refer to as which

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CuddlyZombie posted:

No, that's just a statue of Yaldabaoth. We saw Actual Yaldabaoth before, when Caliborn met him.

My guess is it's probably the entrance to an area called The Lion's Den, it was mentioned by Dirk in a pesterlog to Jake when Jake was contemplating breaking up with him.

i'm guessing that when a denizen dies they lose the spark that makes them so grand and terrible

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tollymain posted:

John is def. one of the best kids, Dirk is def. the worst.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see i can see arguments both ways, i just like them both. i like all of the mspaints (except for the amporas)

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this update should be read with the "Burning of Karak" playing in the background.

Just that sense of "Gone. Everything is gone..."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A John / Dirk conversation would be neat for a couple of reasons:

- They're polar opposites in terms of personality. Dirk overthinks everything while John goes with the flow. John pays attention to the fiddly details, while Dirk is a big-picture person. John, among the kids, is the most prone to expressing his emotions, while Dirk keeps everything bottled up.
- Neither has a burning desire to talk to the other, unlike Dave, Rose, Jade, Jake, Roxy, or Jane. They can just chill out.
- Both have a friend who behaves similarly to the person they're meeting.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Tollymain posted:

i'm guessing that when a denizen dies they lose the spark that makes them so grand and terrible

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. If that's the case, maybe Echidna is dead, too?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

Remember Jake, everyone? He's dead! Carry this knowledge, and a smile, in your hearts.

You fool, being dead doesn't mean he won't show up again. Stop giving people false hope.

I think I'm the only person who actually kind of likes Jake.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 3, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I unironically enjoy Cronus more than Dirk. At least the comic acknowledges how awful Cronus is.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
There was so much great art in these panels, and I pretty much just wanted to click through them to find out what plot developments we will have.

I wonder if it will be Dirk who teaches John how to use his powers?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR FOOT posted:

I unironically enjoy Cronus more than Dirk. At least the comic acknowledges how awful Cronus is.

but the comic also acknowledges dirk's terribleness as well, through dirk's own admissions??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

There was so much great art in these panels, and I pretty much just wanted to click through them to find out what plot developments we will have.

How the hell would Dirk know?

Also, those panels were hella pretty. But i'm a little disappointed John isn't going to Derse to meet up with Crocker Dad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That was pretty. It makes me want to reread Homestuck so that I can remember better what all those destroyed places are.

I like Dirk. He's got tons of issues, but I think his whole presentation has been pretty funny, and I've never disliked reading his chat logs, no matter how far he disappeared up his own rear end. I think he's a good one to have a conversation with John.

This is good. I guess we're going to get a pile of updates at midnight on the designated days for a few months? That'll make the F5ing easier.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You fool, being dead doesn't he won't show up again. Stop giving people false hope.

People throw out these sweeping statements but honestly there's nothing wrong with Jake, Dirk and Jane as characters. People are probably just overstating their dislike for comic effect. They took the brunt of people's frustrations when the story's pacing got bogged down at the start of act 6, but now that we've worked through the blockage and all the cast are mixing it up again things should be fine.

The situation's pretty desperate so I expect Dirk and John's conversation will be pretty on-point, not a lot of time to waste with introductions and small-talk and Dirk's pretty good at getting down to business.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

glowing-fish posted:

I'm not sure there's going to be time for that before John zaps away again, but I do think Dirk is going to meet up with Davesprite and the other sprites.

At long last Arquiusprite will return and get to say more wonderful words relating to muscles and horse dicks.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

You fool, being dead doesn't he won't show up again. Stop giving people false hope.

I like Jake. I hate everything about the romance triangle thing. It's a drat shame that three of the four alpha kids are completely inextricable from it.

EDIT: Hell, I like Dirk too. Jane I'm ambivalent on.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tollymain posted:

but the comic also acknowledges dirk's terribleness as well, through dirk's own admissions??

Dirk's pages of self-pity are some of the most painful things to read in the comic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GeneX posted:

I like Jake. I hate everything about the romance triangle thing. It's a drat shame that three of the four alpha kids are completely inextricable from it.

EDIT: Hell, I like Dirk too. Jane I'm ambivalent on.

Everyone hated the love triangle. I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Who thinks Dirk is gonna end up thinking john is some grade A boyfriend material

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Davinci posted:

Who thinks Dirk is gonna end up thinking john is some grade A boyfriend material

mental note: mack on

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

I feel like we probably should've met Caliborn and Calliope earlier to help build them up more, but Caliborn's doing a great job of steamrolling his way to the title of main villain/terrible person regardless. He's strangely compelling in his horribleness for all kinds of reasons.

The weird thing about his situation though is he couldn't really help becoming who he is. From birth he and his sister were put into an artificial environment to make sure they play the game. He was born as a naturally "evil" half of a Cherub, and the game afforded him a way to kill Calliope that most Cherubs wouldn't have but would've used if they could. The game presented him with an unwinnable session that could only be beat if he was even more of a bull-headed monster. Gamzee and the Felt appeared to help groom him into who he is today. If he'd faltered along the path at any point he'd be dead, the circumstances of his life ensured he could only be this.

This isn't even taking into account all the time loops that depend on Lord English existing and Caliborn being a monster, or that were involved in making these things happen. Who is actually responsible for Caliborn? Doc Scratch once said he was "Sanctioned by Paradox Space", does that mean that having Lord English wrecking up the multiverse is Part Of The Plan, and if so, whose?

Is Caliborn actually the main villain of Homestuck?

(Yes obviously come on what are you talking about.)

Ehhhh. I kind of agree with your point, and Caliborn does come off as kind of pitiable in his own way, but that doesn't really mean he isn't responsible for his own actions. Sure, Paradox Space does seem to have enforced his descent into villainy, but it's a pretty big theme of the comic that predestination just forces you to do what you would have done anyways. It's not like most people use predestination to excuse Eridan for being a douchebag or Jake for being an oblivious dipshit, even though they couldn't help it any more than Calbiorn could. IMO, Caliborn killing Calliope and cutting himself off from his potential to grow comes off more as a metaphor than a physical act, even though it's both; by choosing to not grow he ends up destroying his future and not the other way around.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How the hell would Dirk know?

Well, he might not know how to use them technically, but Dirk is pretty good at figuring out time travel (Unite/Synchronize), for example. Dirk is the type of tactician that might be able to tell John a way to move beyond random zapping.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

glowing-fish posted:

Well, he might not know how to use them technically, but Dirk is pretty good at figuring out time travel (Unite/Synchronize), for example. Dirk is the type of tactician that might be able to tell John a way to move beyond random zapping.

Yes, but how would he even begin to understand the mechanics behind John's weird narrative powers, much less understand how to use them effectively?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Everyone hated the love triangle. I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

Even the characters involved hated the love triangle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow poo poo's all hosed up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wasn't particularly bothered by the love triangle, actually. It was a pretty lovely situation for the characters to be in, yes, but it was also just... something that happened? I guess?
I don't know how to explain this exactly, but I took it in stride and accepted that it was A Thing.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 3, 2014

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Of all the *chats that can arise from Homestuck, truly Dirkchat is the worst.
When exactly was the last time we saw Vriska?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Fairly certain it was when she realized that she's actually just a massively conceited pain in the rear end to deal with while observing Aranea.

Also to me Dirk will always be fondly remembered for his part in Caliborn's game/Unite Synchronization.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like this new paradox space

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dirk is cool, and way better than John. Let's just get get all these god drat facts right out on the table:

DIRK:
+ Cool sword
+ Sweet shades
+ Irony
+ Cut off his own head once

JOHN:
- Kinda boring
- NO swords?
- His magical plot powers are pretty grating
- Who even cares about this guy

The new Paradox Space, however, is fuckin' good.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Dirk's also got the sith soul lightning, that's gotta count for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freak Futanari posted:

JOHN:
- Kinda boring
- NO swords?
- His magical plot powers are pretty grating
- Who even cares about this guy

wow look at this person who is incredibly wrong

quote:

The new Paradox Space, however, is fuckin' good.

something something broken clocks twice a day