Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd like to see a property tax type thing for vehicles above a certain size. People who are driving small houses around, like Sequoias and Suburbans and the like, should be paying more than people with rational-sized vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd like to see a property tax type thing for vehicles above a certain size. People who are driving small houses around, like Sequoias and Suburbans and the like, should be paying more than people with rational-sized vehicles.

I invite you to throw a stone at Tim Eyman; the closest you can hope for is a per-gallon gas tax as a way to drive equity between vehicle sizes. But honestly the impact of any regular old 4-wheeler is significantly less than your basic hauling semi-truck.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gerund posted:

I invite you to throw a stone at Tim Eyman; the closest you can hope for is a per-gallon gas tax as a way to drive equity between vehicle sizes. But honestly the impact of any regular old 4-wheeler is significantly less than your basic hauling semi-truck.

My proposition is also based on quality of life issues posed by these monstrous vehicles. They block sight lines, obstruct traffic, don't fit in parking lots, and generally just don't make for good company on the roads. Environmental concerns are certainly valid, but my objection goes well beyond that aspect of outsized vehicles.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My proposition is also based on quality of life issues posed by these monstrous vehicles. They block sight lines, obstruct traffic, don't fit in parking lots, and generally just don't make for good company on the roads. Environmental concerns are certainly valid, but my objection goes well beyond that aspect of outsized vehicles.

It's not just environmental. Semis tear up the roads in ways suburbans don't. Seriously, semis are heavy enough to gently caress up the road bed in ways regular passenger vehicles, even big ones, can't. I mean, I'm sympathetic to your points, although I don't see enough suburbans to really think of it as an issue.

Edit: also, on a completely different topic, who thought this sign was a good idea? I get what it means, but there has to be a better way to get that across. I mean, the tracks aren't a hazard if you cross perpendicularly. It's when you're riding parallel that you get thrown. The one wheeled bike doesn't really get that across. Anyway, are these new? I've never noticed them before.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I voted against background checks and the smaller classrooms

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Background checks for classrooms and smaller guns.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Saw people out with "don't tread on my gun rights" signs out today (during the seahawks game no less!). There should be some sort of automatic pass rule when that snake shows up.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just got a call from Jason Ritchie's campaign; he's the guy running against Reichert. While chatting with the staffer, I asked how their polling looks. She laughed nervously and said they're "running a lean, mean campaign" and so they haven't seen any polling either. I couldn't tell if she was lying and the polls were really bad, or if they're so broke that they can't afford any polling. Either way, I guess this means Reichert doesn't have anything to worry about on Tuesday. Oh well, at least he's not a Tea Partier.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I cancelled your vote.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bartkusa posted:

I cancelled your vote.

Phew, now mine'll get through. Thanks!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 3, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I voted for legal weed, the education fund, and GMO labels down here, and against the open primary and letting illegals get licenses. No pet issues on the ballot aside from the weed one which is probably gonna pass, so whatever.

I may as well write "fleeble glorp" in for the local elections since they're all unopposed incumbents.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Bob Socko posted:

I just got a call from Jason Ritchie's campaign; he's the guy running against Reichert. While chatting with the staffer, I asked how their polling looks. She laughed nervously and said they're "running a lean, mean campaign" and so they haven't seen any polling either. I couldn't tell if she was lying and the polls were really bad, or if they're so broke that they can't afford any polling. Either way, I guess this means Reichert doesn't have anything to worry about on Tuesday. Oh well, at least he's not a Tea Partier.

I think the Ritchie campaign is more about having someone to run against Reichert. With the recent redistricting he's too safe in his seat, but you may as well make him work for it. It also gets Ritchie's name out there and gives him some experience with campaigning. He seems like he could be a really strong progressive candidate.

edit: His reddit AMA was a masterpiece of courting younger voters.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 3, 2014

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

oxbrain posted:

I think the Ritchie campaign is more about having someone to run against Reichert. With the recent redistricting he's too safe in his seat, but you may as well make him work for it. It also gets Ritchie's name out there and gives him some experience with campaigning. He seems like he could be a really strong progressive candidate.

edit: His reddit AMA was a masterpiece of courting younger voters.

Ritchie has zero chance against Reichert, but he'd be good to have in the legislature.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

I voted for legal weed, the education fund, and GMO labels down here, and against the open primary and letting illegals get licenses. No pet issues on the ballot aside from the weed one which is probably gonna pass, so whatever.

I may as well write "fleeble glorp" in for the local elections since they're all unopposed incumbents.

I voted for everything but the fake "open primary" measure myself. Measure 90 is the one bill I really want to see die, like it did when it was floated last time in 2008.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

gohuskies posted:

Ritchie has zero chance against Reichert, but he'd be good to have in the legislature.

It's really too bad. The 8th was always so close to going blue, now it's solidly red and we'll never get rid of that shitheel.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

oxbrain posted:

It's really too bad. The 8th was always so close to going blue, now it's solidly red and we'll never get rid of that shitheel.

2012 redistricting was a game changer. It was legitimately swing, but once redistricting happened, the swing parts went to the 1st and the 8th became safe R.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xrunner posted:

It's not just environmental. Semis tear up the roads in ways suburbans don't. Seriously, semis are heavy enough to gently caress up the road bed in ways regular passenger vehicles, even big ones, can't. I mean, I'm sympathetic to your points, although I don't see enough suburbans to really think of it as an issue.

Edit: also, on a completely different topic, who thought this sign was a good idea? I get what it means, but there has to be a better way to get that across. I mean, the tracks aren't a hazard if you cross perpendicularly. It's when you're riding parallel that you get thrown. The one wheeled bike doesn't really get that across. Anyway, are these new? I've never noticed them before.

Speaking as someone who's gone head over handlebars by crossing the streetcar tracks, they're fine. A good reminder of the danger lurking beneath your wheels. The point of the sign is to convey meaning, not to be an accurate photo of what might happen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It needs to be clear enough to get the point across to people who haven't had it happen to them before, and I can see how that graphic might not be clear.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

gohuskies posted:

2012 redistricting was a game changer. It was legitimately swing, but once redistricting happened, the swing parts went to the 1st and the 8th became safe R.

The democrats hosed that one up big time. We created a new swing district and gave the republicans one more safe one. Both parties went into it publicly stating that they wanted to protect incumbents, but with Inslee leaving it was a free for all on his district.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

gohuskies posted:

To be fair, if you've ever been to Milton it's pretty similar politically to Wenatchee.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I voted for everything but the fake "open primary" measure myself. Measure 90 is the one bill I really want to see die, like it did when it was floated last time in 2008.

Oh look, Oregonians voting for a horribly anti-science initiative. How surprising. :rolleyes:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Javid posted:

against the open primary and letting illegals get licenses

Yeah, I hate it when the drivers I'm sharing the road with are licensed, too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Everyone should want illegals to have licenses. On the one hand, it increases training and accountability. On the other hand, a database of names and addresses.

Win:Win

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 3, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mrit posted:

Oh look, Oregonians voting for a horribly anti-science initiative. How surprising. :rolleyes:

Hey. I voted against giving consumers more information. Don't paint with such a broad brush.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Vavrek posted:

Hey. I voted against giving consumers more information.
Secrecy forever! :science:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cascadia should use nullification to kick all DEA, ICE, and BATFE agents out imho

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Do people care that much about immigration in the NW? I got used to the dialogue in CA and by comparison it seems like a background concern.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Re: Labeling -- You have to be reasonable. Otherwise, why not have labels for 'Sugar Added,' or 'Sodium Added,' or 'HFCS Added,' or 'Pesticide-Crop,' or 'High Mutagenicity,' or 'Hormone-Treated,' or 'Salinomycin-Treated,' or 'Neonicotinoids Used,' or --

I don't find the pro-arguments very compelling. Hell, there's a substantially better case for 'Sugar Added' and we haven't seen any real movement on that. Why not?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

there's a substantially better case for 'Sugar Added' and we haven't seen any real movement on that. Why not?

Food fight builds as U.S. regulators weigh 'added sugar' label
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/04/us-sugar-labels-idUSKBN0G40X020140804

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Food fight builds as U.S. regulators weigh 'added sugar' label
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/04/us-sugar-labels-idUSKBN0G40X020140804

Haha, welp.

There's too much that's real for us to be tilting at windmills.

Sugar-intake past a certain point is demonstrably god awful, and a normal diet puts you into that range because nearly everything is laced with added-sugar. There really is a solid, grounded argument here.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Haha, welp.

There's too much that's real for us to be tilting at windmills.

Sugar-intake past a certain point is demonstrably god awful, and a normal diet puts you into that range because nearly everything is laced with added-sugar. There really is a solid, grounded argument here.
Absolutely. Modern era sugar intake is loving toxic, but every time it gets brought up on the forums the soda addicts scream and burn the thread down so its easier to just move on.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FRINGE posted:

Absolutely. Modern era sugar intake is loving toxic, but every time it gets brought up on the forums the soda addicts scream and burn the thread down so its easier to just move on.

Oddly enough sugar free soda also pisses them off as well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's because diet soda tastes horrible.

I'd be down to force them to label everything on that list, but everything isn't on the ballot. How precisely is "food labels must accurately portray their contents" anti-science?

FRINGE posted:

Do people care that much about immigration in the NW? I got used to the dialogue in CA and by comparison it seems like a background concern.

It isn't the issue it is elsewhere, for sure. I expect that one to pass easily.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Javid posted:

I'd be down to force them to label everything on that list, but everything isn't on the ballot. How precisely is "food labels must accurately portray their contents" anti-science?

A similar law was passed requiring anything that goes through irradiation to be labeled as such.

As a consequence, we have salmonella in all of our poultry.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

computer parts posted:

A similar law was passed requiring anything that goes through irradiation to be labeled as such.

As a consequence, we have salmonella in all of our poultry.

Not to mention listeria and e coli in tons of other foods. I used to work at a rather large food safety laboratory and this is some pretty serious poo poo.

But hey, consumers having the right to make irrational choices is way more important, right?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Vavrek posted:

Hey. I voted against giving consumers more information. Don't paint with such a broad brush.
If it passes, it'll probably be like that ubiquitous prop-whatever cancer warning in California. Give it a couple years and no one will even notice it's there anymore.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

If it passes, it'll probably be like that ubiquitous prop-whatever cancer warning in California. Give it a couple years and no one will even notice it's there anymore.

Until Monsanto et al takes it to the Supreme Court and it gets treated like those "Does not contain rBST" labels on milk. They can trivially argue that it implies GMOs are dangerous and have a metric ton of independent research showing that GMOs are safe.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FRINGE posted:

Apple pickers? A bunch of them got scared off a year or 2 ago (and the farmers sure as poo poo aren't raising wages) so fruit was rotting off the trees.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FRINGE posted:

Spend some time in any of our former logging communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

anthonypants posted:

Spend some time in any of our former logging communities.

No, no thanks. I'd really rather not go back there.

• Locked thread