Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of Figuarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
That's the first halfway decent picture we've seen of the Ranma figuarts.

I guess somebody finally managed to sneak a good shot. I personally hope they make more than just Ranma(s) but hey I'll gladly buy Girl Ranma.

Figuarts has really become such a diverse line lately. They've gotten way better with faces too, Bandai's Star Wars figuarts look good considering the angle meanwhile GSC struggles with the Avengers.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Is that Marvel Legends 3-pack any good? I almost bought one this morning, but I don't really know or like Ms. Marvel so I put it down. But I REALLY want a radioactive man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is that Marvel Legends 3-pack any good? I almost bought one this morning, but I don't really know or like Ms. Marvel so I put it down. But I REALLY want a radioactive man.

You could sell the Ms. Marvel.

I'd buy it off you.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
SPEAKING of buying/selling... does anyone have an agent venom that they want to sell and doesn't have terrible paints? I have had zero luck finding one.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

SPEAKING of buying/selling... does anyone have an agent venom that they want to sell and doesn't have terrible paints? I have had zero luck finding one.

are there any with non-terrible paints?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bushifox posted:

I wouldn't know, have never seen one in the wild.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Bushifox posted:

This. I've seen 30 of them and they all have terrible paint.

Edit: I have two from my Walgreens order that they failed to cancel, would you want me to pick he best of them and sell it to you?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

When Rhyno was hooking me up with one, I asked him how the paint was and he seemed to get a little apologetic and saying he'd never seen one with good paint and I was like "dang, thems the breaks I guess". And then I actually looked at it and it was absolutely good enough for me. So before losing hope I would definitely post pictures of what you're willing to tolerate.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I am very handy with a paintbrush, so as long as it's not absolutely awful I can probably fix it up, and yeah, I'd be down for some pix. Rhyno, can you hit me up? carbontetra@gmail.com

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I am very handy with a paintbrush, so as long as it's not absolutely awful I can probably fix it up, and yeah, I'd be down for some pix. Rhyno, can you hit me up? carbontetra@gmail.com

Shooting you an email shortly.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

IF you can figure out how to get acrylic white paint to lay down in a non-chunky way I am all ears regarding your brand/technique.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

IF you can figure out how to get acrylic white paint to lay down in a non-chunky way I am all ears regarding your brand/technique.

Slightly thinned Tamiya white with a 0/00 brush :) I'll have to see how it holds up on Marvel Legends plastic though, this new formulation is odd.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Which one of you guys is gonna buy this thing, 48", think it was like 60-70. Also the nunchucks are stored in the shell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I feel bad for the kid who's gonna get that for Christmas.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

When Rhyno was hooking me up with one, I asked him how the paint was and he seemed to get a little apologetic and saying he'd never seen one with good paint and I was like "dang, thems the breaks I guess". And then I actually looked at it and it was absolutely good enough for me. So before losing hope I would definitely post pictures of what you're willing to tolerate.

How dare you, I am heartbroken

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Rage posted:

How dare you, I am heartbroken

Ah crap wrong R-name. Sorry, I think in avatar pictures and have no memory for usernames.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DrChud posted:

Which one of you guys is gonna buy this thing, 48", think it was like 60-70. Also the nunchucks are stored in the shell.

Hmm, we have all this surface to really get some detail in here. NAH! gently caress it! Ship the plastic piece of poo poo that should be $20 but mark it the gently caress up cause BIGGER!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrChud posted:

His hands can hold beer bottles.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Honestly, it seemed pretty solid. I also loved how it had its own little wood pallet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I caved and got a Ms Marvel off ebay for a semi-reasonable price, she's better in person than I expected her to be from reviews. The paint is hit-or-miss on the arms or legs (and mine doesn't have *too* many issues), and the reviewers are right that painting fleshtones over black plastic was a pretty boneheaded call on Hasbros' part, but I still like the one I got and it's a huge step up over the Toybiz version (which I also liked).

Comparing mine to other reviewers', it's clear that the paint jobs are really inconsistent from one figure to the next and that it can make or break the figure. I managed to scout out a "good" one on ebay, but I saw plenty of screwed-up ones too that were pretty in line with what other reviewers were complaining about.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Hasbro has really shat the bed on its quality control over the last 3-4 years. Both Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe are plagued by figures with awful paint apps. You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent sample of anything that isn't 75% base plastic color.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Hasbro has really shat the bed on its quality control over the last 3-4 years. Both Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe are plagued by figures with awful paint apps. You're going to be hard pressed to find a decent sample of anything that isn't 75% base plastic color.

The GotG wave looks pretty great.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DrChud posted:

Local wal-mart put a blue vest and name tag on theirs, made it their door greeter.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DrChud posted:

I've been looking for a new dildo holder...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

His hands can hold beer bottles.

He is a party machine.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The_Doctor posted:

He is a party machine.

He's not gonna do much partying with a neck swivel and shoulder/wrist rotation.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Go back and look at what they were actually doing 3 - 4 years ago (Blob, Annihilus, Brood Queen, Spider-Man 3, Fantastic Four waves), that was 75% base plastic. They've improved quite a bit since then and are putting out decent for mass retail figures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Their Groot is a really nice figure, even for it being probably 95% base plastic colour.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Hasbro has really shat the bed on its quality control over the last 3-4 years. Both Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe are plagued by figures with awful paint apps.
Add Star Wars to the mix as well.

I guess an executive took another look at the line of Indiana Jones figures they released for "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and asked "Why can't all of our lines look this awful?"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since this is the action figure thread, could someone help me find a old figure for me. It was in the 90s and was for I believe a Ultraman toyline that had moving arms, but no other movement on the figures. Anyway I was trying to remember one of the villains from the line, who wore a dark cloak with a purple crown over his gas mask(?) he had on. I been trying to gather old figures I had as a kid, and just remember him just now, but can't find the good website I discovered a few weeks ago that had a nice picture database of old toy lines.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Rirse posted:

Since this is the action figure thread, could someone help me find a old figure for me. It was in the 90s and was for I believe a Ultraman toyline that had moving arms, but no other movement on the figures. Anyway I was trying to remember one of the villains from the line, who wore a dark cloak with a purple crown over his gas mask(?) he had on. I been trying to gather old figures I had as a kid, and just remember him just now, but can't find the good website I discovered a few weeks ago that had a nice picture database of old toy lines.

I think you're conflating the Ultraman Great series (aka Ultraman Towards the future) with Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad, aka Gridman.
This was the main villain, who looks pretty much like you described:

Kilokhan, voiced by Tim Curry.

If you're interested in the hero of that series, SH Figuarts has put out a line of Gridman, and his powered up forms, they suffer a little in the articulation department, but are still pretty good figures to play with.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Jesus gently caress, literally about to post "Are you thinking of Kilokhan?"

http://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure.php?FID=15441&figure=kilokhan

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And that is exactly the figure I remember. Looking at the package for Kilokhan, and I can tell why I thought he was a Ultraman character, as Gridman looked a lot like him on it. And I bought the figure back then because he looked cool.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Rirse posted:

And that is exactly the figure I remember. Looking at the package for Kilokhan, and I can tell why I thought he was a Ultraman character, as Gridman looked a lot like him on it. And I bought the figure back then because he looked cool.

Yup! Gridman essentially was Cyber-ultraman, so it's easy to get them involved together :)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Uhh that is Shredder, you guys are stupid.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah since I bought it up, is there a good website to look up old figures?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Louisgod posted:

Uhh that is Shredder, you guys are stupid.

On this subject, has there been a good shredder figure made?

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Aphrodite posted:

You could sell the Ms. Marvel.

I'd buy it off you.

I too would like a Ms. Marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

GeauxSteve posted:

I too would like a Ms. Marvel

I pulled the trigger on that 3-pack today and found a Ms. Marvel with IMMACULATE paint for anyone that needs it. No idea if you, or Aphrodite, or someone else technically had first dibs though, so maybe you guys can slapfight it out and someone can PM me?

edit: I'd also trade her for Beta Ray Bill or a Skrull I guess if that matters.