Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The extra red phonebox is pretty weird. Now the question is, has it shown up in other episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a red phone box in Forest of the Night.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm sold on the red phone box Tardis after hearing that there isn't really one there. I remember a conspicuous looking phone box last week too. It would be cool if there were phone boxes in the background of other episodes looking out of place, but if there was one in Sherwood or on the moon some mad fan would have pointed it out and screencapped it by now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Red phone boxes are TV shorthand for 'England'

Same as how every window in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Besides, what kind of Master of Evil travels in a time machine that stinks of piss and has advertising cards for prostitutes stuck up in it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd love the idea of that red phone box being the Master's TARDIS because it means, if nothing else, that Nine's defense for the broken chameleon circuit works. You don't question something that's out of place, yet mundane. Unless you're really looking for them, you aren't going to notice a slightly outdated red phone box in places they usually aren't. You'll justify it by saying that you must've just not noticed it before, or that it's new, or that it's a show set in Britain so of course they're going to put red phone boxes in the background.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

All this red telephone box talk just keeps me hoping for some sort of MacQueen reference/joke

Hello, you!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

spog posted:

Red phone boxes are TV shorthand for 'England'

Same as how every window in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Besides, what kind of Master of Evil travels in a time machine that stinks of piss and has advertising cards for prostitutes stuck up in it?
You don't need to use TV shorthand for "England" in a show that's made for English audiences.

Edit: though needing to confirm to his English audience that the scene is in fact taking place in England would not be the most bizarre decision Moffat has ever made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's no good reason an British show would use shorthands like that, especially outside one of London's most famous landmarks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a shame they spoiled the Cybermen, because the reveal with the mirrored doors would've been masterful otherwise :allears:.

Also, you're all forgetting something; Once upon a time, blue police call boxes would've been commonplace just like red phoneboxes...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Forktoss posted:

It's too bad you never see CGI Snake in anything these days. I think he went back to doing panto and the odd supporting role on Casualty after his stint as the Master.

Big Finish actually tried to get CGI Snake to work on a few of McGann's stories, but it turns out he just isn't much of a voice actor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

2house2fly posted:

You don't need to use TV shorthand for "England" in a show that's made for English audiences.

Edit: though needing to confirm to his English audience that the scene is in fact taking place in England would not be the most bizarre decision Moffat has ever made.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/television/

quote:

Watched by an estimated 80 million viewers in 206 countries, Doctor Who currently holds the Guinness World Record for the largest ever simulcast of a TV drama, with 98 countries having shown 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor at the same time.

Check out the below list to see who broadcasts Doctor Who first in your country:
Australia ABC1
Brazil BBC HD
Canada Space
France France 4
Germany Fox
Iran BBC Persian
Israel yes
Italy Rai 4
Mexico BBC Entertainment
New Zealand Prime
Portugal Syfy
Russia xxx
South Korea KBS2
Spain Syfy
Turkey CNBC-e
United Kingdom BBC One
United States BBC America

The BBC doesn't make money from broadcasting in the UK.
Whereas BBC Worldwide:

quote:

In 2013/14, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £157.4m and headline sales of £1,042.3m and returned £173.8m to the BBC.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

spog posted:

http://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/television/

The BBC doesn't make money from broadcasting in the UK.
Whereas BBC Worldwide:

Despite the large worldwide audience the show has never been afraid to be British as gently caress. There's no reason they'd need a phone box to show it was the UK when that's already assumed by everyone watching it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Noxville posted:

Despite the large worldwide audience the show has never been afraid to be British as gently caress. There's no reason they'd need a phone box to show it was the UK when that's already assumed by everyone watching it.

It's an easy way to show viewers from Mexico/S.Korea/Iran, etc that they have moved from what they thought was the Afterlife (anywhere/anywhen in the universe) to modern day London.

I don't think Moffat would use something as obvious as a red telephone box for the Master. It's terribly unimaginative.

McGann
May 19, 2003

spog posted:

I don't think Moffat would use something as obvious as a red telephone box for the Master. It's terribly unimaginative.

Isn't that kinda the point, though?

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Antti posted:

I felt like a moron at the cybermen reveal because I saw the trailer and then forgot. Showrunners must love people like me. I think there was someone else upthread who had the same happen.

I forgot too, until the lingering shot of the doors with the cybermen eyes. I did notice the 3W logo seemed important, and was trying to figure out why up until that point to. Usually I get a bit frustrated by Capaldi's Doctor forgetting everything, but now I know how he feels, I guess.

Although it was mostly because I was stuck on the whole "Clara Oswald never existed" line from the preview. I was going over so many "Clara is actually the Doctor who used a fobwatch and went back in time to save him/herself" and "Clara is actually Romana" theories that the cybermen in the trailer were sort of glossed over in my mind.

I am really excited for the finale though, now that they've set up all the expositing beforehand. A lot of episodes this season felt rushed, like Moffat was trying to cram all the plot of his signature two-parters into one episode. The scenes with Clara and Danny in particular never felt genuine to me, it always seemed like they were just trying to race through it as fast as possible so we could get back to more time travelling Doctor and Clara shenanigans (which, to be fair, I absolutely love for the most part). It's nice to build up the setting before finally getting to the action for once.

Oh and one last thing, The Master really, really better not die next episode. She needs to escape so the Doctor can obsess with finding her for a change, to figure out how the hell she escaped from the time-lock and how he can get back in. Of course, I can also see her dying and taking that secret with her (until she comes back again), but I don't want that simply because I love how much fun Michele Gomez is having in the role. I was pretty confused by the whole "I. Am. A. Robot" scene at first, but retroactively knowing it was the Master made me giggle uncontrollably for a good while after the reveal. She just loves loving with him, putting hints everywhere so she can laugh at how stupid he is for not seeing them. It's great.

spog posted:

Seems in character for the Master to have something that's just like the Doctor's, only better though. I haven't seen much of the classic series, but didn't Simm's Master have a sonic gun just so he could make fun of the Doctor's screwdriver?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JoltSpree posted:

Seems in character for the Master to have something that's just like the Doctor's, only better though. I haven't seen much of the classic series, but didn't Simm's Master have a sonic gun just so he could make fun of the Doctor's screwdriver?

I think it was a laser screwdriver. "Who'd have sonic??"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

JoltSpree posted:

Oh and one last thing, The Master really, really better not die next episode. She needs to escape so the Doctor can obsess with finding her for a change, to figure out how the hell she escaped from the time-lock and how he can get back in. Of course, I can also see her dying and taking that secret with her (until she comes back again), but I don't want that simply because I love how much fun Michele Gomez is having in the role. I was pretty confused by the whole "I. Am. A. Robot" scene at first, but retroactively knowing it was the Master made me giggle uncontrollably for a good while after the reveal. She just loves loving with him, putting hints everywhere so she can laugh at how stupid he is for not seeing them. It's great.

That's the Master for you!

I sort of hope that she does die at the end, and then just shows up later anyway, because that is also very the Master.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

spog posted:

"If it's so unimaginative then why has no one done it before?"

Wait, sorry, that's what he said about the new opening.

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of hope that she does die at the end, and then just shows up later anyway, because that is also very the Master.

I think it would be funnier if she "died" at the end, then while the Doctor is giving his moralizing speech summing everything up, she's in the background running away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

spog posted:

It's an easy way to show viewers from Mexico/S.Korea/Iran, etc that they have moved from what they thought was the Afterlife (anywhere/anywhen in the universe) to modern day London.

I'm beginning to think Moffat is some kind of alien entity which feeds off people dismissing plot twists as being too obvious. Doctor Who has been a banquet for him.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I think it would be funnier if she "died" at the end, then while the Doctor is giving his moralizing speech summing everything up, she's in the background running away.

Even better, while he's giving his dramatic speech, one of the red phone booths de-materializes behind him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Antti posted:

I felt like a moron at the cybermen reveal because I saw the trailer and then forgot. Showrunners must love people like me. I think there was someone else upthread who had the same happen.

Same. I never watch the previews usually, but I saw the Cybermen preview last week, got super bummed I was going to have to sit through a Cybermen finale, then promptly forgot all about it until the eye-doors.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

This would be particularly good if the TARDIS were disguised as a car or bus, so that as the Doctor gave his speech, we could hear the sound of screeching tires followed by the TARDIS's vanishing sound.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoltSpree posted:

Even better, while he's giving his dramatic speech, one of the red phone booths de-materializes behind him.

And Clara start screaming at the Doctor to follow her, but whoops! Someone turned off the TARDIS's nav computer, so they can't!

I'm fairly sure Missy is supposed to have her own TARDIS, though. All the teasers with her certainly pointed that way, and it would've been hard to grab people from across time and space without one.

EDIT: Hell, the villain(ess) having their own TARDIS is just about the only classic reveal the show has left, right?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 3, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My friend and I were so into this episode. Or only wish was that the teaser didn't reveal so much. All they needed was the Doctor saying "Let's go to hell" and we would have been invested right then and there. I was so psyched at that line. A really great episode. Makes up for last week by a large margin, thanks in large part to Clara going full on Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

after The Caretaker many people were unhappy with the way The Doctor acted towards Danny because he was an ex soldier.
anyone changed their minds now that he's been shown as an acutal war criminal?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Not really. The Doctor doesn't know about that, after all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cerv posted:

after The Caretaker many people were unhappy with the way The Doctor acted towards Danny because he was an ex soldier.

Not really. It's not like the Doctor knew about that and repeatedly calling him the gym teacher is a pretty poo poo way to criticize his military background.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cerv posted:

I don't know if I'd throw Danny in the war criminal category. Civilians die in accidental crossfire all the time - It's a warzone, after all. Some of them will be kids. Now if he'd seen the kid, grinned and said "How about a game of CATCH?" before tossing a grenade...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Antti posted:

I'll admit I did the same thing. It may have come up in my head, but it immediately didn't register. Even with the Cyberman Eye symbol appearing everywhere.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, regardless, the argument in that episode is a lot more complicated, because it frames the Doctor as being from an aristocratic class that at once benefits from the lower class soldiers and has no compunctions about using them but will also not hesitate to criticize them for their life choices.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Antti posted:

At the risk of sounding like a twit, this is what I do most weeks cos I watch the trailer and get excited for next week and then push it out of my mind during the week while I go have the rest of my life :shobon:

Forktoss posted:

It's too bad you never see CGI Snake in anything these days. I think he went back to doing panto and the odd supporting role on Casualty after his stint as the Master.

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

McGann posted:

I don't know if I'd throw Danny in the war criminal category. Civilians die in accidental crossfire all the time - It's a warzone, after all. Some of them will be kids. Now if he'd seen the kid, grinned and said "How about a game of CATCH?" before tossing a grenade...

watch the scene again. he doesn't even look where he's firing.

which is where the immediate regret comes from. "oops i did something stupid i knew i wasn't supposed to, and it's gone horribly wrong"

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd have to rewatch the scene, but I'm pretty sure he had no reasonable expectation that there would have been a child in that building. You don't blind-fire into a building just because it's there, you do it because you believe there are hostiles inside and you're not about to stick your head in and ask if it's all right to shoot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The scene was filmed entirely in the traumatic war fog that has become the popular cinematic shortcut for depicting the horrors of battle and it's impossible to tell whether he was following orders, made a mistake, or what happened. They may clarify more in the next episode and they may not. Either way, Danny himself clearly feels responsible, which is really the salient point in his "Should I delete myself" plotline.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Doctor Who Series 8 (34): Watch Out For Snakes

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bicyclops posted:

The scene was filmed entirely in the traumatic war fog that has become the popular cinematic shortcut for depicting the horrors of battle and it's impossible to tell whether he was following orders, made a mistake, or what happened. They may clarify more in the next episode and they may not. Either way, Danny himself clearly feels responsible, which is really the salient point in his "Should I delete myself" plotline.

War is ugly and traumatic, war will mess up most peoples heads even if following orders. Also in war civilians get killed, nothing will ever change that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

War is ugly and traumatic, war will mess up most peoples heads even if following orders. Also in war civilians get killed, nothing will ever change that.

Which is why I think that film style has become so popular for depicting it in trauma flashbacks.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cerv posted:

watch the scene again. he doesn't even look where he's firing.

which is where the immediate regret comes from. "oops i did something stupid i knew i wasn't supposed to, and it's gone horribly wrong"

I was agreeing with you. He had no idea that kid was in there, so I don't think he is really at fault. Though, obviously, he is going to feel regret and responsibility because he shot a kid. Still, I think the mental image of Danny being an intentional child murderer is funny.

Does anyone know when exactly Dark Eyes 3 is going to hit the store? I'm sitting on money to throw at Big Finish and checking the drat page every day only to be disappointed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
outpostgallifrey.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's never been Doctor Who since William Hartnell regenerated. All this "regenerations" and "Gallifrey" nonsense offends my sensibilities. :colbert:

P.S.: The latest episode was enjoyable despite my misgivings about the overall plotting, pacing and direction.

• Locked thread