Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm into Code 5 and the only time I've been online is to see what it was like. Maybe I'll do some more if I have new goon buddies to do stuff with? My PSN is warp_eater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
CODE 5 Spoilers: I have actually been using both Hal and Ann so having to choose is kinda lovely :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

MotU posted:

CODE 5 Spoilers: I have actually been using both Hal and Ann so having to choose is kinda lovely :(

Mechanically this is such a non-thing that it's amazing they wasted the time to include it in the scenario.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MotU posted:

Wow, that's certainly something. It's like at the end of Mass Effect 1 when I'd been using Ashley and Kaiden for the entire game.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I really wish the PA chatter was in English. Or subtitled. A crawl at the top of the screen wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I know it's all fluff, but I love fluff.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Muffinlord posted:

I really wish the PA chatter was in English. Or subtitled. A crawl at the top of the screen wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I know it's all fluff, but I love fluff.

same. percy is my friend and i want to know what he's saying

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Muffinlord posted:

Yeah. The translation side of things is great, characterisation and whatnot is fine, but the rest of the localisation is kinda iffy. They didn't bother to edit any textures, so the UI still says "IBARA" instead of "THORN", tutorials still have Japanese screenshots etc, they cut the Accessory voice-synth stuff despite the developers talking about how it would work fine for English (and with a lack of dub probably would have helped rather than having to look down at the subtitles all the time during combat), the PA announcements are on obvious sticking point, and there's been a couple of outright string mistakes, one dialogue option I had was ##ERROR## and I've seen the "rewards from this mission" screen go out off the right screen boundary.

It shits me, because I'd expect that kinda crap from NISA not Sony, but the rest of the game is so fun that I can look past it.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah. The translation side of things is great, characterisation and whatnot is fine, but the rest of the localisation is kinda iffy. They didn't bother to edit any textures, so the UI still says "IBARA" instead of "THORN", tutorials still have Japanese screenshots etc, they cut the Accessory voice-synth stuff despite the developers talking about how it would work fine for English (and with a lack of dub probably would have helped rather than having to look down at the subtitles all the time during combat), the PA announcements are on obvious sticking point, and there's been a couple of outright string mistakes, one dialogue option I had was ##ERROR## and I've seen the "rewards from this mission" screen go out off the right screen boundary.

It shits me, because I'd expect that kinda crap from NISA not Sony, but the rest of the game is so fun that I can look past it.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that these flaws exist, but this is easily the most fun I have had with a hunting game. Hopefully this does well enough here that if some sort of sequel or whatever is made, they do a better job about localizing it. Hopefully.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well it did sell pretty well in Japan and debuted higher than Toukiden and a Miku game (though God Eater 2 did better yet), so prospects are good. Also most of those issues could be patched up, so that's an option.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
This dressup simulator is pretty fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat, all this time I've been trying to sever Abductors' weapons systems when I could have just pulverized them with a concrete pillar on a stick.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God, this game is friggin' amazing. The Thorn dynamic really helps keep me from getting bored with it. Easily the most fun I've had with a monster hunting game. Couldn't get into the MH for the PSP, gave up halfway through God Eater cause I got tired of grinding for upgrades to my items, and stopped playing Soul Sacrifice cause everything felt like a grind by the end. Haven't felt that way about Freedom Wars so far.

There's something amazing about latching yourself onto this gigantic robot, jumping right off it before it knocks you off, and then managing to launch yourself to the part you jumped off of to continue your assault.

I hate fighting Sinners and their Accessories, though, and the Code Garden missions are a waste of time. I just want to fight gigantic people-capturing robots.

Also, how are you supposed to use the laser? It seems so weak, and I find myself using automatic machine guns / that gun you get in Code 3 most of the time.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I am forever crossing my fingers for the voice customizing to come back in. I was so disappointed when I found out they took it out after playing for a good while and it not unlocking. :(

Especially since it's flat out advertised in game in menus and even by an NPC who tells you to try it sometime.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Hah holy Christ does this game stop messing around at code level 6. I was able to do everything offline perfectly fine then the missions just got super hard.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thinking about how salt is treated as some kind of addictive substance in the game is tickling my funny bone. Kind of wonder why they didn't call it NaCl instead.

Does anyone have a voice cast for the game (avatar voices included)?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Schneider Heim posted:

Thinking about how salt is treated as some kind of addictive substance in the game is tickling my funny bone. Kind of wonder why they didn't call it NaCl instead.

Reminds me a little of a super-anime Judge Dredd, where caffeine and sugar are highly illegal blackmarket items and jaywalking has a multi-year penalty in the isocubes.

Penis Vanguard
Mar 5, 2014

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Hah holy Christ does this game stop messing around at code level 6. I was able to do everything offline perfectly fine then the missions just got super hard.

Have fun with the final mission, the AI is really bad there. I got the boss to 30% health then I died because of ~bullshit~ and the NPC AI being bad and now I have to do the preceding missions again. :suicide:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I gave up attempting to do the discretionary missions by myself after I hit Code 6. They were way too much bullshit. Do them online with other people so you don't have to deal with retarded AI.

Also did the final missions that way since I tried it once with the AI and got hosed hard by them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Did some testing with sever/drag times and found some interesting things about dragging:

1. Each successful dragdown increases the time for the next successful one.
2. Mashing circle on dragdowns is almost useless.
3. The "higher" dragdown animation that starts after mashing for a bit persists after you stop mashing, and how long it persists depends on how much you mashed. This leads me to think that for the benefit of the mashing it's enough to do it a bit at the start, and then at a sedate pace after that to maintain the boosted state.

Here's a chart of dragdown times:

As for severing. It's hard to test with the tutorial abductors, since any mashing on them makes parts pop off instantly. And the abductors in real missions don't let you hold on long enough to see how long it'd take with or without mashing. I get the feeling that it makes things go about 2x as fast though, and it doesn't seem to have a boosted animation.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man it is kind of annoying how the list of field resources that a resource points can be seems to be gigantic for every mission. I want to make Baby's First Spear but getting the items I need seems like a total crap-shoot when the list of field resources for even CODE1/CODE2 missions is a dozen-plus items. Is there any way to narrow that down? I've not even touched the crafting system yet aside from just upgrading weapons because I just can't make anything except the absolute most basic rifles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When do you get to fight dragons?

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
So I'm at code 7, and my stuff is doing...ok damage I think. My Spear has an attack of 800-ish and my sniper has about 1.3k. Am I set to keep moving forward through to code 8, or should I get some upgrades?

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 3, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:stare:

That's about twice as strong as the weapons that got me through CODE 7, so you should be able to squeak by.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I just got to code 4 and my grenade launcher does like 1200 :D

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Really Pants posted:

:stare:

That's about twice as strong as the weapons that got me through CODE 7, so you should be able to squeak by.

Oh, ok then cool, good to know. Not having any prespective on weapon damage makes it hard to tell if I am doing any good numbers wise.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

animaCartographer posted:

Oh, ok then cool, good to know. Not having any prespective on weapon damage makes it hard to tell if I am doing any good numbers wise.

I wish I could turn on damage popups for just this reason. Also in every hunting action game. Soul Sacrifice has them when you're dead but you can't turn them on the rest of the time! Come on!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
so your accessory watches you at all times... bathrooms have to be a disturbing venture.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Twibbit posted:

so your accessory watches you at all times... bathrooms have to be a disturbing venture.

animes dont poop

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Twibbit posted:

It's a prison room. I better not see you peeing standing up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

100 years for stage fright.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
+20 Years for missing the bowl and wasting precious resources. ~Let's Contribute!~

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just just started with this game yesterday, but I'm having a lot of fun with the combat and the dress ups. PSN is eeeviltom let's do some missions!

First thing to do is rewrite that crummy rap sheet message into a haiku. Ideally something that doesn't talk about peeing in prison.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gabby_Jay posted:

+20 Years for missing the bowl and wasting precious resources. ~Let's Contribute!~

How is that wasting resources? You are clearly contributing to the floor.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

How is that wasting resources? You are clearly contributing to the floor.

50 years for missing the joke.

Probably.

800 more for questioning authority.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

I now require infinity of all abductor materials, if you want to hunt with me just join the IRC.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So im not sure if the Playstation TV's networking is junk as hell or I got a really hilarious bug but:

I dropped a citizen and the game didn't actually notice that it happened. Funnier still, the bastard kept floating around me like some terrible ghost.

Its like the game turned into a buddycop movie but we ended up wasting 35 minutes on a code 8 mission. Oh well.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Penis Vanguard
Mar 5, 2014
What are the "CODE x Sinner Log" entitlements that become available post-game? They sound like extra plot booklets or something but that seems kind of a hefty price for the points they cost. I gotta save up for that Percy hat, man.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are invasion missions random? I tried fighting a mid 20s Panopticon and it was a difficult rescue mission with a strong Abductor and tons of sinners. Then I fought a mid 30s one and got an easier capture point mission.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man gently caress these you alone vs 20 dudes with guns missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penis Vanguard
Mar 5, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Are invasion missions random? I tried fighting a mid 20s Panopticon and it was a difficult rescue mission with a strong Abductor and tons of sinners. Then I fought a mid 30s one and got an easier capture point mission.

Yeah, you can see what you're up against during the mission ready section to tell if you'll have a tough one or an easy one.

• Locked thread