Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I believe all prices are VAT included in the EU so that shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned about some countries having half the things missing or something.

Oh and in general having an account in a different country works, right? They're not IP blocking or anything?
Probably best to set it to UK or Germany. If you're in a Eurozone country (I'm guessing not though) you might want to go Germany. They don't do any IP blocking or anything as far as I know, I've seen people post here from Central and South America do the same and set their region to US. Just make sure that you set your Nintendo Network ID to the same country.

Exioce posted:

Holy poo poo, Zelda is some kind of chick! Why would they name the games after anyone but the fruity boy in green?!
Just wait till you play Metroid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Light Gun Man posted:

Hilariously I just got my first Wii U game this way and am having lots of "the disc is hosed please eject and try again" and then eventually it works anyway crap. Wii Party U on a refurb system, haven't had any other disc problems yet including ones from the video store so hopefully it's just the gamefly disc.

Well, I can't pretend to understand why you bought Wii Party U, but if you decide to buy a Wiimote down the line, you can pretty much replace the game for free by buying it from Amazon.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Wii Party U is pretty good if you stick to ball dozer and playing games individually. It's no Nintendo Land but we had a blast with it once we started avoiding the long modes like the board game or Fashion Plaza.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Whoa, Capcom's doing loctests for a Luigi's Mansion arcade game:
https://twitter.com/famicomplicated/status/529247724038664192

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I wonder of it's a light gun vacuum game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nintendo is going to buy Capcom I knew it

:thurman:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

I think you've got it backwards, Nintendo usually gives sold through numbers and Microsoft's are shipped totals. The WiiU has slightly more units sold at this point probably, but the Xbox One will probably pass it this holiday.

The WiiU has sold two million more units than the XBone, there's zero chance that the XBone will sell two-three million units in the next two months while the WiiU sells under a million. That's insane to even think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The WiiU has sold two million more units than the XBone, there's zero chance that the XBone will sell two-three million units in the next two months while the WiiU sells under a million. That's insane to even think.

I don't think anyone but Microsoft knows exactly how many bones have sold through and they're not telling, but estimates I saw on Arstechnica were pointing to around 7m to WiiU's 7.2m. Their editor really hates the WiiU but I doubt that bleeds over into their sales estimates.

Edit: Looks like like Woot has a bunch of external HDDs on sale today, some of them at pretty good prices, for anyone interested.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

Nintendo is going to buy Capcom I knew it

:thurman:

The last of my schoolyard Nintendo vs Sega battles coming to a head. Will it be a clean sweep for team Nintendo? :mario:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trent posted:

The last of my schoolyard Nintendo vs Sega battles coming to a head. Will it be a clean sweep for team Nintendo? :mario:

I just hope they put the Capcom heads in a nice mental home. They haven't been the same since they started eating paste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capcom has made games for Nintendo before, guys. They did the Ages games and Minish Cap. This is not a sign of them buying anything.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
It would be cool if they flipped that around and Nintendo could make games with properties Capcom wasn't doing anything with too. Maybe a new Power Stone in addition to the obvious Mega Man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ImpAtom posted:

Capcom has made games for Nintendo before, guys. They did the Ages games and Minish Cap. This is not a sign of them buying anything.

True, but let's look at some of the other Nintendo-is-going-to-buy-Capcom evidence:

• Capcom has made games for Nintendo before, guys. They did the Ages games and Minish Cap.
  • Nintendo is going to buy Capcom

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ImpAtom posted:

Actually if you read this Iwata interview translated by me:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Capcom should make more Nintendo games because the Oracles and Minish Cap were pretty solid and the last good Zelda games until A Link Between Worlds.

(Skyward Sword sucks.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The guy who directed those games has been at Nintendo for a while, he's the one who directed Skyward Sword.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

I don't think anyone but Microsoft knows exactly how many bones have sold through and they're not telling, but estimates I saw on Arstechnica were pointing to around 7m to WiiU's 7.2m. Their editor really hates the WiiU but I doubt that bleeds over into their sales estimates.

could you link to those numbers?

Also the WiiU is at 7.39 million :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure you'll find a million links in the Xbone thread.

I'm not saying that just to shut you up, they still have big dumb charts wars in that thread every day.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't understand the point for chart warz, isn't ps4 a miles ahead of the competition? What's the point?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's an adequate RE game, 15 dollars is a good price for it.

I know the game itself is decent, I meant how's the port on Wii U? A lot of early Wii U ports are hit or miss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Capcom should make more Nintendo games because the Oracles and Minish Cap were pretty solid and the last good Zelda games until A Link Between Worlds.

(Skyward Sword sucks.)

Director of Oracle of Seasons/Ages: Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Director of Minish Cap: Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Director of Skyward Sword: Hidemaro Fujibayashi

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Kurtofan posted:

I don't understand the point for chart warz, isn't ps4 a miles ahead of the competition? What's the point?

Without charts how am I, a man still in his underwear at midday, meant to give advice to CEOs on how they should run their company?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ImpAtom posted:

Director of Oracle of Seasons/Ages: Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Director of Minish Cap: Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Director of Skyward Sword: Hidemaro Fujibayashi

You're right, I forgot only one person made video games.

e: I figured I would look up his Wikipedia page, and hey listen:

quote:

According to Fujibayashi, the most important aspect of game design is making the fundamental rule set of a video game absolutely clear to a player
:laugh:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I agree with him on that, and it's definitely why Platinum games are so polarizing. Egorapter's (hilarious) "Sequelitis" youtube video on Mega Man makes a very good case for that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

They're crazy people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

The director is a strong influence on the outcome of the game and a good chunk of his team members also went to Nintendo with him. The director certainly is more important to the game then the nebulous "Capcom should do it."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fremry posted:

I agree with him on that, and it's definitely why Platinum games are so polarizing. Egorapter's (hilarious) "Sequelitis" youtube video on Mega Man makes a very good case for that.

Yeah so do I, except for when you go way too far about it like Skyward Sword tends to. I think the game can take it on faith that I remember that a blue rupee is worth five rupees.

ImpAtom posted:

The director is a strong influence on the outcome of the game and a good chunk of his team members also went to Nintendo with him. The director certainly is more important to the game then the nebulous "Capcom should do it."

I guess my point is that the Zelda games that Capcom had a hand in (Oracles and Minish Cap) were pretty good. I guess it's unreasonable to say that I would like Capcom to be involved with further Zelda games based on that?

But I mean, sure, I'll roll with your point. Forget Capcom, I'd like to see more Zelda games directed by Hidemaro Fujibayashi. You know, the real winners like Phantom Hourglass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Does Capcom even have anyone left? I think most of their creative staff has been rapidly jumping ship since the late 00's.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Capcom definitely doesn't have any creative staff left, no. :downsrim:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Let's get Capcom to make a new Zelda! Oh no, they hired idiot failed western devs to make it for them! How could we have forseen this?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

RyokoTK posted:

Both Skyward Sword and Minish Cap did an excellent job at bringing back prior equipment throughout the game. Both of them had wind-based, jar-shaped items (although Minish Cap arguably did it better), both of them had digging mitts (although Skyward Sword arguably did it better), both of them had partners who spoke a bit too often. Skyward Sword has the advantage of having generally more enticing between-dungeon content (until it has you do stupid stuff like dowse, which can be almost completely avoided anyway if you already know where to go). I'd imagine that he definitely had some influence as basically the most important person. Ultimately, I prefer Skyward Sword, but I'm Literally Hitler so

Also, as for what you quoted from him, he's absolutely right. Proper teaching of mechanics to the player is part of the foundation of a solid game. Building the willingness to experiment and how to do so, likewise, is something that good game design can make any decent player do. Toki Tori 2 is a good example of a game which teaches the player by doing (and occasionally showing), and so makes it's mechanics readily apparent (bird carries you over cut grass while you're wet, look at the grass grow!). Both Minish Cap and Skyward Sword had times where they elected to tell rather than do or show, and both suffered for it. When Skyward Sword chose not to tell the player, it had some pretty effective methods for teaching (like the room with all the water fruits and that one at the top half of the structure that indicates to the player to stab, and suddenly whoa, you've got a fruit on your sword).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: Never mind, I think I'm just being an idiot.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
But Ezlo is just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to telling the player stupid stuff they didn't need to be told

exempting the dumb comments about you having a low battery and low shield like what were they thinking

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Toki Tori 2 is a wonder of game design. I want to hug that fat bird.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ultigonio posted:

But Ezlo is just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to telling the player stupid stuff they didn't need to be told

I think you're referring to Bayonetta? I have never played any Platinum games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like Skyward, but it's such a better game if you use cheats to remove all the treasure, rupee, battery, shield, and dowsing comments from Fi.

EDIT: ^ Ezlo's the hat in Minish Cap.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm talking about Minish Cap you dorkus

Mr E posted:

I really like Skyward, but it's such a better game if you use cheats to remove all the treasure, rupee, battery, shield, and dowsing comments from Fi.
This. I also think that it's better on Hero Mode and it's good if you bump up the bird's speed for all except one area.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 3, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ultigonio posted:

I'm talking about Minish Cap you dorkus

Oh yeah.

Refer to this comment:

RyokoTK posted:

e: Never mind, I think I'm just being an idiot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

This is the best post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I guess on the subject, is Minish Cap on the VC? Clearly I need a refresher because I haven't played it since it came out.

• Locked thread