Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Lycus posted:

I'll take the one Bethisode over all of Season 3's terrible, worthless Andrea scenes.

It's also better than the Carl "sittin' on a rooftop eatin' puddin'" episode from last year. At least this provided an interesting new group of once-well-meaning-but-gone-off-the-deep end antagonists.

Also I now kind of want cowardly doctor dude to join the group just so he and Eugene can form Awkward Goon Tag Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!
I like Beth. v:shobon:v

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tatopom posted:

Crap I didn't even realise it was Carol who was wheeled in at the end. I thought it was a thin Gary Busey

I would totally want Gary Busey, as Gary Busey, to join Rick's group.

Codependent Poster posted:

So it's another group for Rick's to go and massacre, because Daryl probably picked up the janitor.

I hope the rest of this season is the crew just going from group to group wiping them all out somehow every time. That would be amazing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 3, 2014

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ragnarok the Red posted:

It's also better than the Carl "sittin' on a rooftop eatin' puddin'" episode from last year. At least this provided an interesting new group of once-well-meaning-but-gone-off-the-deep end antagonists.

Also I now kind of want cowardly doctor dude to join the group just so he and Eugene can form Awkward Goon Tag Team.

Wasn't Carl's puddin episode also the Morgan episode?

If so then you are wrong.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It wasn't.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Christ, this episode is poo poo.

15 minutes in and i've given up even watching it properly, i have it running in another window while i look at stuff on the internet. Might just do what i didn't with most of last season and skim through the episode to the parts where things actually happen.

EDIT: Is this show ever going to be about anything other than "our heroes run into yet another semi-organised bunch of crazies in a place and have to kill them"?

Seriously, the Governors place, Terminus, this hospital. It's all the same poo poo over and over.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 3, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

lets have the gang stab walking zombies only for 9 seasons, gr8 idea

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I thought this episode has been the least interesting this season, but still way better than some of the episodes of the past seasons. Killing yourself in the office of the person you hate knowing you'll return is pretty badass.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I actually kinda liked this one. It was a nice change of pace and showed a lot of character growth for Beth since they seem to want to transition her to more of an active role in the group.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

lifts cats over head posted:

I thought this episode has been the least interesting this season, but still way better than some of the episodes of the past seasons. Killing yourself in the office of the person you hate knowing you'll return is pretty badass.

To be honest, the implications of why she committed suicide in that room escaped me (I was too busy paying attention to what Beth was looking at) but now that you mention it that's kind of awesome.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

spudsbuckley posted:

EDIT: Is this show ever going to be about anything other than "our heroes run into yet another semi-organised bunch of crazies in a place and have to kill them"?

Seriously, the Governors place, Terminus, this hospital. It's all the same poo poo over and over.

I kind of want to have an episode where the opposite happens:

What if Rick's group found a place that was legitimately full of nice people that had a good setup, but those people decided that Rick's group was too risky/evil and turned them away. What would happen then? Bonus points if this is during a time when Rick's group is low on supplies and really needs the help.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I liked the episode. I'm all about exploring these various little enclaves and seeing how they are reacting to the apocalypse. It's got a flavor of WWZ (Novel, not movie) in that way. I can handle a little heavy-handed writing from time to time as long as the overall theme is compelling, which this was.

Agreed with many posters above, this isn't an award-winning show for creative writing, just roll with it and have fun. The overall quality has greatly improved and they're on a great trajectory. It seems as if they're shedding the old ways of long drawn out crap and trying to stay too close to the comics. Touching here and there on them and just doing fun stories.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Hahaha why are people such raging retards about Beth singing? She's no Celine Dion but she has a decent enough voice, christ goons will complain about anything.

It was a good ep.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suicide chick was Gaia from Almighty Johnsons

Whoa, Papatuanuku is nobody’s flatmate! She is all-powerful!

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
The walking dead ACAB episode. I'm glad Carol showed up at the end since she will do what must be done.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Has anyone heard Maggie say anything about the fact her sister is missing? Like, even a throwaway comment? Her dad was beheaded in front of her and now her little sister is missing and she's just chillin' with Glen.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Christ, this episode is poo poo.

15 minutes in and i've given up even watching it properly, i have it running in another window while i look at stuff on the internet. Might just do what i didn't with most of last season and skim through the episode to the parts where things actually happen.

Yeah, I was hoping the Hospital are full of good people, yet Beth / Rick and Co. fucks it up and gets them all killed.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
Did I somehow miss any discussion about the fleet of black cars parked outside the hospital?
Didn't that reveal that the story of how they "rescued" Beth was total bullshit?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

pookerbug posted:

Did I somehow miss any discussion about the fleet of black cars parked outside the hospital?
Didn't that reveal that the story of how they "rescued" Beth was total bullshit?

That was a blink and you miss moment for this show - they tend to not be so subtle with things.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

pookerbug posted:

Why would the fact that there are multiple cars indicate that? But yeah, it's pretty clear that the Good Samaritan act is bullshit. Dawn and Co. need worker bees, and at this point they can't count on happening upon people who are injured enough to need their help but not so far gone that they're dead.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Did they explain why they were out looking so far away from the city proper though? That seems a bit unrealistic/contrived.

... I said to myself about a zombie show.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
When Beth is recounting what happened to her when she was separated from Daryl she mentions that she was fighting a walker and then blacked out, which implied to me that her "saviors" actually just knocked her out.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Well I thought Noah was awesome for a 16 year old or whatever. Not the best plan in the world but it worked for him!

EDIT: I want Noah to replace Carl on the cast.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Can we have Rick & Co. at least one time see a new group of people (in any situation) and say "nope".

New town? No thanks
Guy stuck on a rock? gently caress him
[insert new group]? Nope

instead of
:clint: "I don't think we should trust them"
:byodame: BUT THERE'S SOME GOOD LEFT IN THIS WORLD
everybody almost dies / gets eaten / gets raped
rinse and repeat

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode left me with two questions.

How is Beth risking a zombie outbreak in a comparatively safe refuge for a bunch of people not totally awful of her?

When did "The Greater Good" turn into a clear tell for These People Are Evil?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Cingulate posted:

This episode left me with two questions.

How is Beth risking a zombie outbreak in a comparatively safe refuge for a bunch of people not totally awful of her?

I mean really if you think about it Rick's group is about the greater good too but they are our "heroes" that we root for, so it's okay. (Rape cop(s) aside of course).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can we have Rick & Co. at least one time see a new group of people (in any situation) and say "nope".

Everybody would just forget about it a few seasons later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

New town? No thanks
Guy stuck on a rock? gently caress him
[insert new group]? Nope

instead of
:clint: "I don't think we should trust them"
:byodame: BUT THERE'S SOME GOOD LEFT IN THIS WORLD
everybody almost dies / gets eaten / gets raped
rinse and repeat

Backpack dude

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Jay-V posted:

Well I thought Noah was awesome for a 16 year old or whatever. Not the best plan in the world but it worked for him!

EDIT: I want Noah to replace Carl on the cast.

Yeah, Noah was a good character. Hopefully they'll work him in to the main cast. Maybe Daryl brought him back to Rick's group? There was a time gap between the escape and Carol being wheeled in.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

TraderStav posted:

Backpack dude

Also that one guy who was entirely surrounded by zombies on one side and Rick and Carl just watched.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kelly posted:

I mean really if you think about it Rick's group is about the greater good too but they are our "heroes" that we root for, so it's okay. (Rape cop(s) aside of course).
No, it's worse. Consider Carol. She kind of looks a bit as if the was really into this Greater Good thing, right? Killing a kid because it endangers the group, killing the infected, terminating Terminus, al that?
Carol is not for the Greater Good. Dawn believes she is part of a greater society, that there are other groups like hers, and the community of communities - society - is what it's worth being evil for.
Carol doesn't believe in society. She believes in Family. As does Rick (that's also where Rick's conflict over Eugene is coming from). Carol cares for a very tight, limited, and nearly impenetrable circle. It's a club of murderers, but it's HER murderers, so she will let loose the zombie horde on Terminus to protect her Family without actually investigating what's truly going on there.

This is a stereotypically right-wing way of thinking; the people on the other side of the fence are not my concern, which is why we can build a fence there. Oh look, there's a fence, the people on the other side are not my concern, and so on.

But my question was mainly about the specific phrase, the Greater Good. Carol will also sacrifice others for the (narrow) group she fights for, but she's "badass", not evil. Dawn is obviously evil, right? Why do we know that? She believes in the Greater Good.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Father Gabriel probably counts too, as he's not evil he just did something hosed up in the initial outbreak. Unless of course we find out later that he really is a murder raper as well!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cingulate posted:

This is my biggest problem with it. Nothing is perfect and if there are bad cops ideally that situation should be fixed, but this place is working and providing a safe stable environment for people to live. "Ohhhhh god they saved me and(barring rapist cops) want me to do light medical assisting work to contribute to the group, NAHHHH!!!" And Beth tried her best to destroy that for everyone. gently caress you Beth.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is my biggest problem with it. Nothing is perfect and if there are bad cops ideally that situation should be fixed, but this place is working and providing a safe stable environment for people to live. "Ohhhhh god they saved me and(barring rapist cops) want me to do light medical assisting work to contribute to the group, NAHHHH!!!" And Beth tried her best to destroy that for everyone. gently caress you Beth.

Hahaha seriously? Oh yeah aside from the fact that I'm going to be subjected to rape slavery for the rest of my life like that girl who tried to kill herself this group is clearly legit, it would be wrong of me to put any of these fine upstanding citizens in any danger in my attempt to escape from my inevitable sexual servitude.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Hahaha seriously? Oh yeah aside from the fact that I'm going to be subjected to rape slavery for the rest of my life like that girl who tried to kill herself this group is clearly legit, it would be wrong of me to put any of these fine upstanding citizens in any danger in my attempt to escape from my inevitable sexual servitude.

It's just sex.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

They're bad people, but the comparison group are a bunch of murderous CANNIBALS.
One thing the series keeps hammering in is that the zombie apocalypse is not good for the head. Dawn is clearly not as bad as the Terminus leader, or the Governor. Her worst feature seems to be tolerating Rape cop. Of course, tolerating Rape Cop is not a good thing, but the last dude literally ate a guy's leg in front of him. Dawn slapped Beth.
That's not good, but if you think they deserve to be eaten by zombies for what they are, you ... probably deserve to be eaten by zombies yourself!!

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Actually of the three, Governor's group was probably the least sick in terms of how this group of people organized themselves and survive. I think the key theme that makes all these groups bad is that they all insist that you're with them or you're against them. Rick's group is OK with others coming and going (see Morgan in the beginning, Carol being "let go" but not killed, Abraham and crew coming in and then going on their own for a bit), but Governor/Dawn/Gareth definitely are not about that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's just sex.

You seem like a fine and well adjusted person.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jay-V posted:

Actually of the three, Governor's group was probably the least sick in terms of how this group of people organized themselves and survive. I think the key theme that makes all these groups bad is that they all insist that you're with them or you're against them. Rick's group is OK with others coming and going (see Morgan in the beginning, Carol being "let go" but not killed, Abraham and crew coming in and then going on their own for a bit), but Governor/Dawn/Gareth definitely are not about that.
That's a good point.

(Which I should have caught myself, considering my avatar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's just sex.

What

Cingulate posted:

They're bad people, but the comparison group are a bunch of murderous CANNIBALS.
One thing the series keeps hammering in is that the zombie apocalypse is not good for the head. Dawn is clearly not as bad as the Terminus leader, or the Governor. Her worst feature seems to be tolerating Rape cop. Of course, tolerating Rape Cop is not a good thing, but the last dude literally ate a guy's leg in front of him. Dawn slapped Beth.
That's not good, but if you think they deserve to be eaten by zombies for what they are, you ... probably deserve to be eaten by zombies yourself!!

They made it pretty clear that the rape was approved on an institutional scale, when suicide girl referred to "them" when she said that Dawn could control them but chose not too. Then later on Dawn basically admitted that the weak members of the group existed only to keep the strong members happy, so she was going to turn a blind eye to all the raping in exchange for maintaining her own power. It's obvious it's far more of a problem than just "a bad cop."

But my bad, you're right that the baseline for when it's ok to kill in self-defense has been set at "are my captors worse than literal cannibals?" Beth is truly the real monster here.

• Locked thread