Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cingulate posted:

Dawn is clearly not as bad as the Terminus leader, or the Governor.

Dawn runs a literal police state where non-cops are slaves. She pays her guards with rape. Doing it all through euphemisms and civility makes it more insidious - its evil can be rationalized as serving some greater purpose.

Terminus was at least self-aware.

Everyone in Woodbury was invited to the Governor's lemonade parties, not just his inner circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

moths posted:

Dawn runs a literal police state where non-cops are slaves. She pays her guards with rape. Doing it all through euphemisms and civility makes it more insidious - its evil can be rationalized as serving some greater purpose.

Terminus was at least self-aware.

Everyone in Woodbury was invited to the Governor's lemonade parties, not just his inner circle.

gently caress, well now I feel pretty wrong and kinda miss the Governor.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

They made it pretty clear that the rape was approved on an institutional scale, when suicide girl referred to "them" when she said that Dawn could control them but chose not too.
I didn't make that connection. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, the episode wasn't especially exciting. If it's truly institutional, it's a different scenario.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

But my bad, you're right that the baseline for when it's ok to kill in self-defense has been set at "are my captors worse than literal cannibals?" Beth is truly the real monster here.
Beth killing Rape Cop is one thing; Beth letting zombies loose in a hospital full of people chained to their beds etc. is not self defense.

I also complained about Carol flooding Terminus with zombies, so clearly my baseline is even higher than that!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't realize until afterward that the enforced clothing isn't about occupation, its about class. The upper-class wear cop uniforms, the lower-class wear scrubs.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good point, I guess I didn't pay enough attention.

Although we didn't really see enough people to really give a class society picture. We saw more cops than scrubbers!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The show will transform into a procedural, where each episode has the gang find a group of crazies and kill them while stumbling towards a vague goal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I didn't make that connection. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, the episode wasn't especially exciting. If it's truly institutional, it's a different scenario.

There was also a line about how "the wards" role was to keep her men happy, which implies that she's ruining a rape-based economy.

E: I really like how stuff isn't spelled out through exposition anymore. This was a really tight episode with some layers to dig through, but I think most people saw it was Beth, stopped paying attention, and then decided it sucked.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 3, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

I didn't realize until afterward that the enforced clothing isn't about occupation, its about class. The upper-class wear cop uniforms, the lower-class wear scrubs.

Also you can definitely leave right after *some vague future date*

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mewse posted:

Also you can definitely leave right after *some vague future date*

After you've paid your debt, of which there is no bill / invoice and it is a made up number in my head

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

moths posted:

There was also a line about how "the wards" role was to keep her men happy, which implies that she's ruining a rape-based economy

Competing with Pol Pot's rival skull-based economy.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Cingulate posted:

Beth killing Rape Cop is one thing; Beth letting zombies loose in a hospital full of people chained to their beds etc. is not self defense.

It's not like that was her plan from the beginning. Rapey McBadcop interrupted her escape attempt otherwise no one would have been harmed. She acted in self-defense by letting him get bit, suicide zombie girl said "send more cops" so she did that, then skedaddled through the basement exit that was already infested with walkers but sealed off from the rest of the hospital. The chances that all of Dawn's crew would be overwhelmed by two walkers (which is what it would have taken before one of the wards was put in danger since Beth tipped the guards off to the threat) was pretty slim.

moths posted:

There was also a line about how "the wards" role was to keep her men happy, which implies that she's ruining a rape-based economy.

E: I really like how stuff isn't spelled out through exposition anymore. This was a really tight episode with some layers to dig through, but I think most people saw it was Beth, stopped paying attention, and then decided it sucked.

Eh I agree that it was a solid episode, but it's been this thread's M.O. to not pay attention to the episode in lieu of live-posting and then complain about stuff they missed for a while now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, Beth sending some armed cops to the office instead of letting the zombies surprise people was actually being helpful.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know it wasn't her plan to kill everyone (just as she didn't know she'd run into more cops). But she loose two zombies in the building and let others deal with the consequences. Remember what happened in the Prison when only one small sickly boy resurrected; they were also a bunch of warriors taking care of civilians, and they weren't overrun, but people died.
She could at least have stayed to kill the first two; wouldn't have been a problem. She didn't because she needed a distraction. It didn't became as much of a distraction as she would have needed precisely because it was quickly contained. It easily could have cost a lot more lives.

But either way, what I originally asked was, when did the Greater Good became the obvious tell for bad people? Because I don't think the Rape-based Economy had been revealed when that phrased was first uttered, but one immediately understands it means Dawn is evil and we'll all cheer once she is inevitably eaten by either zombies, or Rick. And as has been pointed out, I should have known better, because the answer is: in The Open Society And Its Enemies.

e:

moths posted:

This is clearly me, but I don't mind Beth.
I think the episode simply wasn't that good. I didn't even catch on to the subtle cues for how Dawn et al. were bad, but her justification speeches were just bad. I didn't find any of the characters convincing but for Noah, and that was not due to his overly tight writing, but all the actor.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 3, 2014

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Forced labor hospital is totally layered and nuanced.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

a cop posted:

Forced labor hospital is totally layered and nuanced.

The cowardly doc layer was kinda interesting as a contrast to the preachers downright negligence in letting a pile of people die by not moving to a loving door. This dude used Beth as a proxy killer to snuff out a rival that endangered his place in rape society :v:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
My worry now is that we have the group split into three factions (it would seem) and those sort of episodes aren't always among the best. But I'm hopeful - they didn't drag out Terminus and it looks like the hospital is going places. Are previews spoilers still? If so...

It looks like they are focusing on the group headed to DC which means they are pulling focus from everyone else. So, no movement on the other two fronts which is a bummer.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

imperialparadox posted:

I kind of want to have an episode where the opposite happens:

What if Rick's group found a place that was legitimately full of nice people that had a good setup, but those people decided that Rick's group was too risky/evil and turned them away. What would happen then? Bonus points if this is during a time when Rick's group is low on supplies and really needs the help.

Its called "All of season 2" and it sucked

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Not mine, scene from next episode:

This better happen...

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

zVxTeflon posted:

Its called "All of season 2" and it sucked

You know that's a good point, all the Greenes were guilty of was keeping walkers in a barn in a misguided effort to keep them safe until a cure came along, and a hunting accident. Then Rick's crew rolls in and the entire family either dies or is assimilated.

Gabriel may have been on to something when he told our protagonists "God sent you here to punish me." They're like the Horsemen of the (zombie) Apocalypse.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 3, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

This is clearly me, but I don't mind Beth.
I think the episode simply wasn't that good. I didn't even catch on to the subtle cues for how Dawn et al. were bad, but her justification speeches were just bad. I didn't find any of the characters convincing but for Noah, and that was not due to his overly tight writing, but all the actor.

I think Dawn's speech was basically where the episode clicks. The "greater good" speech was bullshit, and her performance conveyed that at some level she realized it. But she needs that, because the alternative is to acknowledge that she's running a glorified rape gang of slavers. (Terminus was refreshingly honest with its depravity, by contrast.)

The hospital's theme was the polite fictions that accompany unjust power structures, with a side of lies that allow them to flourish. You can leave (as soon as we're square.) We're doing those we exploit a favor. My wrongs lead to a greater good. These sins are necessary. Lies we tell ourselves.

I think truth and deception relative to power and violence are emerging as major recurring themes this season. Terminus was honest with themselves but deceitful to prospective meals - but then overtly brutal. The hospital was deceitful to everyone, and it had a culture of deceit. Terminus killed you in an abattoir, the hospital slipped you the wrong pills.

And interestingly, both settlements were faught with their own techniques. The Terminus leadership was butchered. Carol's daylight commando raid contrasts interestingly with Beth's spy-thriller escape. I'm excited to see how introducing Carol into this environment will turn out.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moths posted:

Some people literally quit watching less than half way in to play with their phones or whatever, and they think that's the show's fault.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Goddamn the characters in this show are dumb. They give up a safe environment, only because they can't deal with the occasional rape. And the person in charge being an abusive coward. And your only real friend being beaten up. And another guy, who you thought was your friend, letting you murder a person and trying to fool you into thinking it's actually your mistake. Also, nothing happened this episode.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

You know that's a good point, all the Greenes were guilty of was keeping walkers in a barn in a misguided effort to keep them safe until a cure came along, and a hunting accident. Then Rick's crew rolls in and the entire family either dies or is assimilated.

The herd wasn't drawn there by Rick's group though, so maybe they would have been worse off without them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

pookerbug posted:

Did I somehow miss any discussion about the fleet of black cars parked outside the hospital?
Didn't that reveal that the story of how they "rescued" Beth was total bullshit?

I think that was total bullshit the moment they said they found her knocked out on the side of the road. You notice the recurring theme after that that everyone brought in is knocked out except the crazy bitch in cuffs?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can we have Rick & Co. at least one time see a new group of people (in any situation) and say "nope".

New town? No thanks
Guy stuck on a rock? gently caress him
[insert new group]? Nope

instead of
:clint: "I don't think we should trust them"
:byodame: BUT THERE'S SOME GOOD LEFT IN THIS WORLD
everybody almost dies / gets eaten / gets raped
rinse and repeat

Hmm...backpack guy? Gunslinger Rick at the Herschel bar? Didn't we kinda get that from the get go this season with Rick demanding to go back and wipe out Terminus only to have it bite them in the rear end when it didn't before they went all no survivors?

Cingulate posted:

They're bad people, but the comparison group are a bunch of murderous CANNIBALS.
One thing the series keeps hammering in is that the zombie apocalypse is not good for the head. Dawn is clearly not as bad as the Terminus leader, or the Governor. Her worst feature seems to be tolerating Rape cop. Of course, tolerating Rape Cop is not a good thing, but the last dude literally ate a guy's leg in front of him. Dawn slapped Beth.
That's not good, but if you think they deserve to be eaten by zombies for what they are, you ... probably deserve to be eaten by zombies yourself!!

Yeah, why they do you the great favor of assaulting you to "rescue" you. Why they're just a decent group with a few bad quirks...not to mention the leader that seems perfectly ok with beating people like an abusive slave owner.

Cingulate posted:

New thread title right there.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Parity warning posted:

Some people literally quit watching less than half way in to play with their phones or whatever, and they think that's the show's fault.

Well when it's boring as gently caress I do blame the show

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parity warning posted:

Actually, yes, it is. Being boring is quite literally the show's fault.

e:f,b

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It seems odd to me that this show can afford a couple dozen extra's for all the zombie scenes, but for some reason when we're told about a small society of folks with their own social order, there only appears to be about seven of em. Like, maybe that was intentional, but every time a character went on about the system they have in place, it sounded like they were referring to something a little more substantial.

Which is a shame, because the episodes beginning shot with the janitor dude just minding his own business was probably my favorite of the episode. What a brilliantly uncanny thing to see that someone has enough peace of mind to work as a janitor in this post-apocalyptic world.

Also, I dunno why Beth is smiling when broken leg dude escapes. We've seen in the past that unarmed folks with limps don't do well against zombies out in the wild.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It wasn't boring if you watched it. But we'll probably get another stabby smashy goon-pleaser soon.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

I think Dawn's speech was basically where the episode clicks. The "greater good" speech was bullshit, and her performance conveyed that at some level she realized it. But she needs that, because the alternative is to acknowledge that she's running a glorified rape gang of slavers. (Terminus was refreshingly honest with its depravity, by contrast.)

The hospital's theme was the polite fictions that accompany unjust power structures, with a side of lies that allow them to flourish. You can leave (as soon as we're square.) We're doing those we exploit a favor. My wrongs lead to a greater good. These sins are necessary. Lies we tell ourselves.

I think truth and deception relative to power and violence are emerging as major recurring themes this season. Terminus was honest with themselves but deceitful to prospective meals - but then overtly brutal. The hospital was deceitful to everyone, and it had a culture of deceit. Terminus killed you in an abattoir, the hospital slipped you the wrong pills.

And interestingly, both settlements were faught with their own techniques. The Terminus leadership was butchered. Carol's daylight commando raid contrasts interestingly with Beth's spy-thriller escape. I'm excited to see how introducing Carol into this environment will turn out.
I didn't like any of these. I have no idea what was going on with Beth's sewer escape fight - it reminded me of the first person scene in Uwe Boll's AitD.

It also wasn't especially subtle. The Rape Cop was Rape Cop from literally the first time we meet him (favor nudge nudge?), there's this scene with Noah scrubbing while Dawn gives him orders, and so on. In fact, the early scenes being so over the top is what made me tune out. The hospital was a big cliche - the Greater God, Rape Cop - there's a reason everybody is putting that guy in all caps. I'm not saying Terminus was all that special, but the leader's actor really sold the guy.

EatinCake posted:

It seems odd to me that this show can afford a couple dozen extra's for all the zombie scenes, but for some reason when we're told about a small society of folks with their own social order, there only appears to be about seven of em. Like, maybe that was intentional, but every time a character went on about the system they have in place, it sounded like they were referring to something a little more substantial.

Which is a shame, because the episodes beginning shot with the janitor dude just minding his own business was probably my favorite of the episode. What a brilliantly uncanny thing to see that someone has enough peace of mind to work as a janitor in this post-apocalyptic world.
Yes, and yes. More upper class than lower class guys doesn't really sell the theme, but the janitor was visceral. Beth looking at him, you really get how astonished she is somebody has the time to clean the floor during the apocalypse!

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

moths posted:

It wasn't boring if you watched it. But we'll probably get another stabby smashy goon-pleaser soon.

Well I watched it with another person who wasn't on any device and they said it was boring as gently caress too sooooo

edit:

EatinCake posted:

What a brilliantly uncanny thing to see that someone has enough peace of mind to work as a janitor in this post-apocalyptic world.

He just didn't want to get raped

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Well when it's boring as gently caress I do blame the show

The point is people decided that it was "boring as gently caress" by 15 minutes in, or hell probably as soon as they realized it was a more Beth-centric episode. Wasn't my favorite ep this season but if you can't handle a change of pace and give up before a quarter of the episode no sorry that is you having no patience or attention span.

moths posted:

Also this, don't worry fair goons you'll get what you want soon enough

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Parity warning posted:

The point is people decided that it was "boring as gently caress" by 15 minutes in, or hell probably as soon as they realized it was a more Beth-centric episode. Wasn't my favorite ep this season but if you can't handle a change of pace and give up before a quarter of the episode no sorry that is you having no patience or attention span.

Also this, don't worry fair goons you'll get what you want soon enough

Timeline of episode:
1:00-40:00 nothing happens
41:00 awesomeness
42:00-60:00 worst plan ever

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This idea that people don't like it because it's a Beth episode, or because it's not violent, don't really reflect the posts in this thread. I don't see any Beth hate, the episode was actually pretty violent (though of course not on the level of Carol's Rambo run in ep. 1), and the complaints are about things like Dawn's lines being bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

It also wasn't especially subtle. The Rape Cop was Rape Cop from literally the first time we meet him (favor nudge nudge?)

What was subtle was that they were ALL rape cops. It was a predatory culture that exploited their "wards" in every way, and the alpha ward was willing to murder when his place at the top of the bottom was threatened.

It was an interesting episode. A lot happened, and revealed lot about the TWD world. But it was also a lot more mature than the show has been, and I entirely understand how that change in tone could be off-putting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cingulate posted:

This idea that people don't like it because it's a Beth episode, or because it's not violent, don't really reflect the posts in this thread. I don't see any Beth hate, the episode was actually pretty violent (though of course not on the level of Carol's Rambo run in ep. 1), and the complaints are about things like Dawn's lines being bad.

Basically this

The whole time we were waiting / hoping that Beth would be awesome. It took 40 minutes of really lame build-up for a pretty good payoff. Not even suspenseful buildup. Just a lame buildup with pervy dudes.

And then plan. The loving plan. "I've been planning this for months but I didn't pack any goddamn supplies"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Timeline of episode:
1:00-40:00 nothing happens
41:00 awesomeness
42:00-60:00 worst plan ever

Was 41 minutes the lollipop scene?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TraderStav posted:

Was 41 minutes the lollipop scene?

The lollipop jar to the face scene

mewse
May 2, 2006

You might be a sexual deviant if you consider rape cop shoving the lollipop in beth's mouth the only "awesomeness" of the episode

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

Cingulate posted:

This idea that people don't like it because it's a Beth episode, or because it's not violent, don't really reflect the posts in this thread. I don't see any Beth hate,

hahahaha okay buddy

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

moths posted:

I did watch it and it was boring for the most part. You're stating your opinion as fact.

(Which I know, should replace "The Internet Makes You Stupid" as this site's tag)

moths posted:

What was subtle was that they were ALL rape cops. It was a predatory culture that exploited their "wards" in every way, and the alpha ward was willing to murder when his place at the top of the bottom was threatened.

This is certainly how I took it. As I said up thread, this show doesn't always go the subtle route and so when it does...people get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I think this episode showed us what will happen when the group stops running into other groups. We get boring drama. So I guess we're stuck with more Governers, Rape gangs, Cannibals, and Rape cops.

Who wants to see the world get put back together? Nobody really wants Rick & Co. to find safety. That wouldn't make a good show. Does anybody really think the show's going to end with hugs and rainbows?

• Locked thread