Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

bull3964 posted:

None in my area have any, so I'll be sticking with my Amazon order.

They didn't ship yet, but it still says estimated arrival date of Weds.

Lucky, mine still has no estimated arrival date. I'll probably just wait it out because of getting more points when buying with Amazon.
...Although I may run over to a BB during lunch juuuust to see ;P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

I said come in! posted:

Return the Newegg one because best buy will have a restocking fee.

Bestbuy doesn't charge restocking fees.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Although I may run over to a BB during lunch juuuust to see ;P

This always ends in tears, always.

They will likely first tell you they never heard of it, then they will hammer away at a computer for 5 minutes trying to see only to discover they were searching for the wrong product. They'll try again with the correct info only to tell you they don't have any and aren't sure when they are getting any in, but the truck arrives on Thursday and brings 'stuff' so maybe it will show up then.

You will leave the store, 30 minutes of your life gone with naught to show for it except the sharp pain of regret that you even bothered to give that god awful store a chance to earn some business from you and vow never to set foot in one again, until the next time where the cycle repeats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Whoops my bad. I actually assumed they did. I would expect that of Best Buy not gonna lie.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Would the aspect ratio of a Nexus 9 be more favorable for comics, versus say a Nexus 7? I've got a Nexus 7 2013 which I use for some sysadmin'ing but mainly comic reading but I'm getting the new tech toy itch.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Don Lapre posted:

Just to be clear, they don't charge restocking fees on tablets. They still do for opened laptops, cameras, GPSs, appliances, and iPhones. Not that anyone would get 100% of their bbuy returns info from the Android Tablet thread, but yeah.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Best Buy have a $100 trade-in offer 'for any working tablet' with the Nexus 9:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/trade-in-offer-128815
Get a $50 gift card and $50 off Nexus 9 coupon.

Wonder if they would take my HP Touchpad.

Whole bunch of terms and conditions but would be worth a shot.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can stack 2 it looks like as well.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Red Warrior posted:

Best Buy have a $100 trade-in offer 'for any working tablet' with the Nexus 9:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/trade-in-offer-128815
Get a $50 gift card and $50 off Nexus 9 coupon.

Wonder if they would take my HP Touchpad.

Whole bunch of terms and conditions but would be worth a shot.

drat...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wonder if the 10% movers guide would stack with the $50 coupon. Bet it would. Would make the 16gb $309 before tax.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Would the aspect ratio of a Nexus 9 be more favorable for comics, versus say a Nexus 7? I've got a Nexus 7 2013 which I use for some sysadmin'ing but mainly comic reading but I'm getting the new tech toy itch.
American comic aspect ratio is 1.53 which puts is between 4:3 (1.33) and 16:9 (1.78). The Nexus 7 aspect ratio is actually closest at 16:10 (1.6), though the added screen size would probably still offer a bigger picture for single pages. More interesting, double page spreads are 1.31, which obviously corresponds with 4:3 very closely. All of this was stolen from this random forum post.

From personal experience, I can comfortably read even a double page on my iPad without zooming while single pages on my Nexus 7 often require me to zoom in some.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder if the 10% movers guide would stack with the $50 coupon. Bet it would. Would make the 16gb $309 before tax.

Screaming deal if it works. Can't really fault my 2013 N7 for anything but new gadget shininess.....

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
At best buy now and a complete computer failure has prevented me from leaving with my N9 which is sitting right in front of me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

At best buy now and a complete computer failure has prevented me from leaving with my N9 which is sitting right in front of me.

As I said, tears.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just picked mine up. When I asked, they do not have any of the official cases in stores yet.

Edit: just a heads up for anyone else, it appears they shipped mine totally dead. It's not booting up currently, but I've seen this same issue happen to my Nexus 7 and I'm waiting to charge it for a bit before I worry about it...

beerinator fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 3, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, apparently some Best Buys didn't have a meeting about the Nexus 9, so when I showed up and asked if they had any, no one knew what I was talking about and assumed they didn't. After some pressuring, I got them to double check and they had some. He said it was really unusual for them to not know about new tablet releases and that this must not be a very popular product for them to have no heads up about it.

So if you go into a BB and they seem clueless, have them double check because I was able to get one after all! Also thanks to the guy who posted about the Post Office coupon. I stopped there on the way to get the tablet. Saved me 40 something dollars, pretty dope.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lines up with the advice posted earlier about BB being clueless and every other time BB is talked about.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

As I said, tears.

Waited a half hour, one full reboot later and I have it.

Also no official cases for my new Google iPad.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
drat, the N9 is getting bad reviews.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeesh Amazon really dropped the ball here, my preorder still has no estimated delivery date at all. Just canceled the order and made an order to pick up at a local Best Buy. Should have it in a few hours. I kind of wonder if Amazon just doesn't give a gently caress about any tablet launch other than the Fire tablets.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

5436 posted:

drat, the N9 is getting bad reviews.
No poo poo. Creaky build, mushy buttons, terrible battery life, random performance hiccups, etc… It's like something from 2011. Even the speakers and screen are nothing special. I don't feel bad about passing on this one.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

butt dickus posted:

No poo poo. Creaky build, mushy buttons, terrible battery life, random performance hiccups, etc… It's like something from 2011. Even the speakers and screen are nothing special. I don't feel bad about passing on this one.

What's another tablet in the 9 to 10 inch range? I want something for media consumption while I travel. I'd even root it to stock android if possible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

5436 posted:

What's another tablet in the 9 to 10 inch range? I want something for media consumption while I travel. I'd even root it to stock android if possible.

There are the Kindle Fire HDX tablets, but they're 16:10 which is good for video but bad for web pages IMHO.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

The pictures in the Android Police review of the way the lens sits is particularly damning:

They also mention what is by far my biggest complaint about the Nexus 7:

Android Police posted:

This is the kind of stuff that makes it a little too easy to come to the conclusion that the Nexus 9 is a piece of hardware built to a price point first, a standard of quality second.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

mod sassinator posted:

There are the Kindle Fire HDX tablets, but they're 16:10 which is good for video but bad for web pages IMHO.

Amazon's android interface is pretty ugly. I also doubt they'll get 5.0 anytime soon if at all.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeah, it looks like I'll be on my 2013 Nexus 7 for at least one more year.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5436 posted:

Amazon's android interface is pretty ugly. I also doubt they'll get 5.0 anytime soon if at all.
Amazon's Android fork is only API compatible with 4.2.2 as it is. It will never see KitKat.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

LastInLine posted:

The pictures in the Android Police review of the way the lens sits is particularly damning:

Honest question...what is bad, damning even, about this? Just not a fan of the styling of it?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

5436 posted:

The Galaxy Note 10.1 should be only $50 more than the N9. Also the Galaxy Tab S, Xperia Z2 tablet, Yoga HD+ and of course the iPad. All of these are probably better than the N9.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just walked into best buy and picked up a 32gig black Nexus 9. 297mb OTA on first boot. It's nice. Any questions let me know. And do yourself a favor. Stop by the post office on the way and grab a 10% off BB movers coupon.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You can't have the lens angled or else it will distort photos. Even the iPhone 6 has a protruding camera:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
on the other hand, the anandtech preview was generally positive and they got the advertised battery life for web browsing.

clearly there's some weird stuff going on

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's really nice so far. The 4:3 is kind of strange. Text elements look large but sharp. Just finished the OTA and am updating apps. Thank God for AT&T's 15->30 gig data increase. Tethered to my phone now. The camera lens design is fine. Stop sperging about it.

The new Google Calendar is pretty sweet. Integrates Gmail and photos and such. Very nice.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google didn't push the final shipping (800mb) OTA update until yesterday afternoon. So, the vast majority of the reviews out there are based on pre-release software.

Doesn't help with any hardware complaints, but anything software focused should be taken with a grain of salt. Android Central flat out said they aren't going to be publishing their review until they have a few days with the new OTA.

http://www.androidcentral.com/about-our-nexus-reviews

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Creaky hardware is an obvious sign of first run production woes. Most electronics have that, I'd just exchange it. Everything, even iPhones has those sort of problems.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Yea but for a $400 device the screen and build should be solid. Battery/performance are clearly new software hiccups which will clear out quickly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Good grief. Build is perfectly fine. No creaks rattles or any other bullshit. I guess people are struggling to find something wrong with this device because it wasn't $100.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

Yea but for a $400 device the screen and build should be solid.

I completely agree, but the first production run of a new device always has these sorts of quality control issues for a certain percentage of the run. QA has to take a break to meet production. Squeaky screens, tint on the screen, split edges. Every device from every manufacture has these sorts of QA problems.

If you get something like this, you should be absolutely unsatisfied and return it. Typically the replacements are ok.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Honest question...what is bad, damning even, about this? Just not a fan of the styling of it?
I'm sure he's referring to the fact that they clearly just plopped the camera unit in and didn't bother to design the thing to not look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure he's referring to the fact that they clearly just plopped the camera unit in and didn't bother to design the thing to not look like poo poo.

Different strokes then, cool. Not that I even think the camera looks good, I just will continue to not notice it.

Considering that it doesn't look like Amazon is shipping out their orders, I guess I'll do that BB+Post office thing.

hotsauce, post more impressions!