Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TheBigBad posted:

That's why they can't hit anything wi a blaster.
Imperial Stormtroopers never look through their scopes when aiming at the enemy. What exactly do they teach cadets during the marksmanship courses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Baron Bifford posted:

Imperial Stormtroopers never look through their scopes when aiming at the enemy.

Nor do they never extend the stocks and fire from the shoulder either.

(Possible reasons include losing a turn in the RPG to do it - we've agree they're playing WEG rules, yeah? -, or because the real scopes are mounted backwards, so things look tiny if you can even get the right eye relief to look through it. Or it's just tradition at this point.)

Have enjoyed the last couple of episodes, key points being I didn't reflexively hate the Inquisitor (I'd half expected the usual face-palming Sith stuff from the EU) - he even gets a pass on the novelty lightsaber for now - and the space battles have got me thinking about TIE Fighter again, especially now it's available from COG.

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Devol_Tettran posted:

I'd half expected the usual face-palming Sith stuff from the EU
I'm curious. I've read few EU books. What sort of horrible stuff were you expecting?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm curious. I've read few EU books. What sort of horrible stuff were you expecting?

If I had to wager, the same copy and paste of pale, angry dudes that got by on some combination of snarling, brooding, and angst. The Inquisitor is absolutely comfortable with what he is, and moreover, tries to be as much an intellectual as a genuine asskicker. Honestly it seems like he tries to actively keep as comfortable as he can during a fight, letting his ability to stay cool and confident outright unnerve his opponents, given how he fought against Kanan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Imperial Stormtroopers never look through their scopes when aiming at the enemy. What exactly do they teach cadets during the marksmanship courses?

The Stormtroopers that we see in the films are just the dumb chumps they send to rot in the Outer Rim, and the undertrained dudes they put on their indestructible superweapon that doesn't need protecting and hasn't even been demonstrated yet. 90% of the Stormtroopers out there are eagle shots, they're just off doing more important things obviously.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
^^ Why does everyone come up with complicated theories like that when there is something so much simpler and obvious? Stormtroopers fire from the hip. They do not know how to use their weapons.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Baron Bifford posted:

^^ Why does everyone come up with complicated theories like that when there is something so much simpler and obvious? Stormtroopers fire from the hip. They do not know how to use their weapons.

I always assumed it was that they couldn't see out of the helmets, like Luke pointed out in New Hope.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Luke didn't get a helmet that was fitted for him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought the "obviously" would make it clear that I was making fun of that very idea. They shoot poorly because the plot requires them not to hit the heroes, not because Stormtroopers are bad at firing their weapons. Also because blasters are by their very nature "clumsy and random". Except when Han Solo uses one, because the plot requires him to hit the villains.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Baron Bifford posted:

Luke didn't get a helmet that was fitted for him.

I figure its like most modern military's, "everyone" is a size 9.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

feedmyleg posted:

I thought the "obviously" would make it clear that I was joking. They shoot poorly because the plot requires them not to hit the heroes, not because Stormtroopers are bad at firing their weapons. Also because blasters are by their very nature "clumsy and random". Except when Han Solo uses one, because the plot requires him to hit the villains.
Of course, plot armor. This is why TIE pilots and clone troopers are quite deadly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The simplest in-universe explanation is that storm troopers are just that - an army that's based on sheer size and firepower rather than excellent training. I always assumed most of them were conscripted or just walked in off the street and were handed a blaster. Like Luke was just some kid who wanted to join the academy, which implies there's training involved, but probably just really basic military poo poo. Like WW1/2 they'd just take anyone who would be even remotely able.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The funny thing is that the training regimen the cadets were put through suggests high standards.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So when is StarKiller going to show up and start loving poo poo up?

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

If stormtroopers ever find themselves in a situation where they need to climb moving platforms, they're unstoppable. It's just that they're terrible in any other situation.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There was a bit where the cadets had to shoot small targets to get those platforms to move.

Yeah, it was a pretty weird kind of boot camp.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The simplest in-universe explanation is that storm troopers are just that - an army that's based on sheer size and firepower rather than excellent training. I always assumed most of them were conscripted or just walked in off the street and were handed a blaster. Like Luke was just some kid who wanted to join the academy, which implies there's training involved, but probably just really basic military poo poo. Like WW1/2 they'd just take anyone who would be even remotely able.

No, the simplest in-universe explanation is exactly what Obi-Wan said in IV: blasters are clumsy and random. You're trying to add a whole bunch of unnecessary poo poo onto that - unless I missed something from Clone Wars that explains the training or the setup of the academy.

e: Also, if characters named Starkiller and the Keeper of the Whills show up I'll be legitimately pumped.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 3, 2014

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Astro Nut posted:

If I had to wager, the same copy and paste of pale, angry dudes that got by on some combination of snarling, brooding, and angst.

This. Absolutely this.

The Inquisitor isn't another Darth Xerox, or Darth Ctrl-V, he's an old-school moustache-twirling villian with clearly a sense of enjoyment and joy to his work. A couple of appearances and we've already learnt that we have a smart, cool, collected adversary and his job is to find and, if necessary, kill children. And he loves it.

Silly over-the-top lightsaber for that? Yeah, go on. It's a kid's TV show.

Burning_Monk posted:

I always assumed it was that they couldn't see out of the helmets, like Luke pointed out in New Hope.

I don't think Luke really fitted the armour of the guy he stole it off. Having too big a helmet and not being able to see out of the eye holes properly is different to them not being functional.

(See, Rebels, look what you're turning me back into, dammit.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Whilst we're at it, Han just didn't know a parsec was a measurement of distance, he's just a blowhard.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Yeah I think it was mainly plot armor. The troopers invading the Tantive 4 had no problem loving up the rebel troopers.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Whilst we're at it, Han just didn't know a parsec was a measurement of distance, he's just a blowhard.

He took a shortcut.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
On the other hand, of Stormtroopers, training and ability, I am reminded of a section of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLl0_mqLtc&t=94s

Must be a hard life, constantly falling over things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Since the film never defines what the Kessel Run is, it doesn't matter. If you need an in-world explanation, then it would be that the Run is a task you need to complete while traveling the minimum distance possible. If you don't need an in-world explanation, George Lucas didn't know what a parsec was.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Maybe it's a version of the Travelling Salesman problem. He figured out how to make deliveries to all the planets in the Kessel sector travelling a total of only 12 parsecs.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In universe Solo went closer to a black hole cluster than other pilots were able/willing because the Falcon is a beast. It shaved distance off because most people have to fly around them, basically

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Since the film never defines what the Kessel Run is, it doesn't matter. If you need an in-world explanation, then it would be that the Run is a task you need to complete while traveling the minimum distance possible. If you don't need an in-world explanation, George Lucas didn't know what a parsec was.

There's also the suggestion that, basically? Obi-Wan's look of dismissal immediately after was meant to be him rolling his eyes, realising that Han is a haughty idiot that makes a boast that is complete nonsense (ie, "Look guys my ship is totally the fastest, it did this thing that totally sounds impressive!"). I mean, it'd make sense, Han was desperate for money. In any case, someone, somewhere, whether in setting or in real life, just didn't know.

Though thinking about it, since the show has established Kessel now, maybe they could reference just what the hell the Run is meant to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

In universe Solo went closer to a black hole cluster than other pilots were able/willing because the Falcon is a beast. It shaved distance off because most people have to fly around them, basically

No, that's just some made up EU bullshit that's all in Legacy now. Personally I like the Traveling Salesman idea, but the fact is that it isn't defined, and unless some new canon piece of material decides to establish it it'll remain that way.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I accept that 'made up' explanation in an entirely made up universe because its cool.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The stormtroopers on the Death Star were following orders given by someone who had a plan to let the heroes escape so that they could be tracked back to their base.

Also, Sauron had an air force.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

There's also the suggestion that, basically? Obi-Wan's look of dismissal immediately after was meant to be him rolling his eyes, realising that Han is a haughty idiot that makes a boast that is complete nonsense (ie, "Look guys my ship is totally the fastest, it did this thing that totally sounds impressive!"). I mean, it'd make sense, Han was desperate for money. In any case, someone, somewhere, whether in setting or in real life, just didn't know.

Though thinking about it, since the show has established Kessel now, maybe they could reference just what the hell the Run is meant to be.

Spice smuggling along the safest/quickest path.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

No, the simplest in-universe explanation is exactly what Obi-Wan said in IV: blasters are clumsy and random. You're trying to add a whole bunch of unnecessary poo poo onto that - unless I missed something from Clone Wars that explains the training or the setup of the academy.

e: Also, if characters named Starkiller and the Keeper of the Whills show up I'll be legitimately pumped.

The simplest explanation is that all of the Stormtroopers were TRYING to miss in Episode 4 (it was a major plot point!), except when shooting. In 5, they were trying to miss Luke and not so good at hitting everyone else. In 6, they weren't focused on the main heroes. (In other words, most of that tied meme is based on people not understanding the first movie).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Darko posted:

The simplest explanation is that all of the Stormtroopers were TRYING to miss in Episode 4 (it was a major plot point!), except when shooting. In 5, they were trying to miss Luke and not so good at hitting everyone else. In 6, they weren't focused on the main heroes. (In other words, most of that tied meme is based on people not understanding the first movie).

I do think the Stormtroopers would have been more effective as mooks if they had been shown loving people up in the Battle of Hoth for a few seconds and if the Ewoks had had a less direct combat role in RotJ. They could've done something like have the Ewoks ambush a group of AT-STs and capture one of them (as Chewie did) to give our heroes a big advantage. Beating the Empire's finest troops with sticks and rocks was a bit silly.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I always liked to think Stormtroopers were just imperials dumb rear end cousins that need a job. Then the prequels happened. Now I think since most of them are clones someone hosed up on the next batch of clones and yay Star Wars.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I thought the "obviously" would make it clear that I was making fun of that very idea. They shoot poorly because the plot requires them not to hit the heroes, not because Stormtroopers are bad at firing their weapons. Also because blasters are by their very nature "clumsy and random". Except when Han Solo uses one, because the plot requires him to hit the villains.

In ANH, Leia pointed out to Hans that the escape from the death star was too easy. The Imperial did after all bugged the Falcon, tracking it back to Yavin.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Latest episode "Out of Darkness" is up on the site. Any guesses as to Fulcrum's identity? They were using "He" but the voice we got sounded obviously modulated. Surprise Ahsoka cameo coming later on down the line?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That, or Ventress, for extra :tviv:-style mind fuckery.

Liking that it looks like they're giving that reveal a very slow burn, though. In that context, the episode was more about Sabine's trust issues than anything.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Fetus Tree posted:

I accept that 'made up' explanation in an entirely made up universe because its cool.
That's cool for you, but for discussion's sake, it may be better to preface old EU claims by saying 'in the old EU'. Would make it easier on everyone.

Fragmented posted:

I always liked to think Stormtroopers were just imperials dumb rear end cousins that need a job. Then the prequels happened. Now I think since most of them are clones someone hosed up on the next batch of clones and yay Star Wars.
Haven't you seen the last/prelast episode? By Rebels, most stormtroopers are drafted. And those smart enough will be not too good in their job, since obviously being good in your job=grounds for meeting the Inquisitor, and prelast/preprelast episode is clear on what that means.

I'm finding that to be a pretty hilarious thing. Very The Good Soldier Švejk.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching the episode now.

So Sabine actually is Mandalorian. I wonder if she is going to have relation to Satine, given the similarity of the names. Maybe her sisters kid, or what would be even crazier is a secret Obi Wan love child. Either way, I am glad to see some development of their characters.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

meristem posted:

That's cool for you, but for discussion's sake, it may be better to preface old EU claims by saying 'in the old EU'. Would make it easier on everyone.

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, just saw 'Out of Darkness'. Its what I'd something of a 'minor' myth arc episode. Few hints towards something bigger (ie, Rebel Alliance) coming, questions on where the Ghost crew gets its info, and pokes into Sabine's past.

It seems to be that Sabine is actually a former Imperial cadet, but left after doing some mission on orders she obeyed without question, only to find out some terrible truth (or as she puts it, 'walking into a nightmare') about them later. So as a result, she's got some trust issues with regards to orders - especially dangerous ones - where the only explanation she gets is 'because we said so'. Especially curious since she also specifics that it was the academy on Mandalore. Given the last time we saw it, things had broken out into civil war, its possible that the Empire stepped in to establish 'order'.

• Locked thread